HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Should Move Malkin

Old
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You just dont like the guy, for whatever reason. Admit that and move on.

that would be a lot better of a stance than trying in vain to discredit a great hockey player.
your right i don't like him but that doesn't mean he is a playoff megastar. i'm not discrediting him by saying that. i'm saying i'm not going to call him that after 4 years in the playoffs where 3 out of the 4 he was not a megastar. and i'm not saying he wont be one in the future, but right now i'm not going to overrate him by calling him that.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 05-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:31 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's 23, has two 100+ point seasons. He missed time this season and was still over a PPG and over a career PPG player in the playoffs. Some of that you attribute to Crosby. Some of Crosby you can attribute to Malkin.
in general you are right but malkin needs crosby for stats a lot more than crosby needs malkin

Old
05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
in general you are right but malkin needs crosby for stats a lot more than crosby needs malkin
Maybe. But when push comes to shove, the Pens put them together.

05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I see Pitsburgh moving Staal before Malkin, and I wouldn't mind trying to aquire Jordan.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
OverTheCap

Reading through this thread, I'm pretty surprised to see that some Rangers fans think Gaborik is better than Malkin.

Malkin's an elite 1st line center with superior passing ability, and is an excellent goal scorer to boot. He's already surpassed Gaborik's season high goal total, at the age of 21, and has consistently racked up more assists per season than Gaborik. Even if Gaborik had no injury issues, Malkin's the better player.

Do I even need to mention that he had one of the greatest playoff performances of all time last season? Scoring 36 points in the playoffs is no easy feat.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I see Pitsburgh moving Staal before Malkin, and I wouldn't mind trying to aquire Jordan.
This is far more plausible be it to the Rangers or elsewhere.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
John Torturella

The Pens should move Malkin? Dumb.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I love what Gaborik did for the Rangers last year, but if Pitt was to offer Malkin to the Rangers straight up for Gaborik, you pull the trigger 10 out of 10 times and not lose one second of sleep over it.

Malkin - Franchise center to be built around

Gaborik - Elite Level winger with significant injury history (that is hopefully a thing of the past)

No doubt about it. You take that deal and run.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:09 PM
XO

Lol. Pittsburgh have no reason at all to trade Malkin just yet or neither will they in the future probably.

If anything they would move Staal before but that most likely wont happen either (well, maybe at the end of his contract).

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Nemchinov13

I can't believe what I'm seeing here. Malkin is not in the same league as Ovechkin or Crosby? Gabby is betther than Malkin? What? When Malkin won the Art Ross he did it with Crosby being out with injury for 20+ games. And Malkin is the first of that generational trio to win the Conn Smythe. Now, I hate Pens, and especially hate the ambiguously gay duo of S&M. One is a punk, the other is a dirt-bag. But you can't deny the talent and the skill of either. Players like them come once every 10 (if not more) years.

With that said, it's Staal and he's going West. Pens wouldn't want to face two Staals at the same time on any of the teams, be it the crappy team (us) or the injured team (Canes).

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 02:53 AM
CorpseLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Phoenix.

Wolski + Boedker + Yandle for Malkin is a solid basis for a deal I think.
nice thought. Pittsburgh ends up with Yandle, Letang, and Goligoski on the blue line though. Yandle is the best of the three. Pittsburgh needs strong defensive defensemen though.

Boedker might be a bust, but I like the possibilities with him. the Danish fellow in Ottawa is definitely an intelligent competitor though.

I agree with the comment above about the problem of moving Malkin with the big contract. Pittsburgh fans almost unanimously disapprove of any talk about trading Malkin, but I'm one that thinks this view is foolish.

Malkin's stock is still high. The Penguins will continue to have salary cap problems in the coming years. The team is unbalanced. Pittsburgh should get while while the gettin' is good for a Malkin trade. Big mistake in putting so much salary into two players, so fix it. but the stupid Pittsburgh fans think it shouldn't be done... hah, wait another 10-15 years for a Stanley Cup. see if Crosby wants to stay with stupid decisions being made.

CorpseLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Black Tank

I don't like Malkin and don't think he will be as good anywhere other than Pittsburgh. He plays with two other lines centered by Crosby and Staal who both soften up the opposing team in different ways. He also gets a significant amount of ice time with Crosby, I don't think he would find as much room when it's with Christenen. He also gets a ton of favorable calls IMO, if the officiating starts cracking down on his interference and clutching and grabbing, he will find his space reduced considerably.

That leaves him a very, very good player but not as good as his stats on a stacked Pitt team would indicate.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:18 AM
chosen

Quote:
i disagree because i dont think malkin can lead a team by himself. he reminds me of marian hossa, a ton of talent but has to play with an elite superstar.
He actually led the Penguins by himself in the previous season so your arguments against him are becoming even more misguided.

You can like whomever you want, but to deny that he is a phenomenal player is spitting into the wind.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:22 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
I don't like Malkin and don't think he will be as good anywhere other than Pittsburgh. He plays with two other lines centered by Crosby and Staal who both soften up the opposing team in different ways. He also gets a significant amount of ice time with Crosby, I don't think he would find as much room when it's with Christenen. He also gets a ton of favorable calls IMO, if the officiating starts cracking down on his interference and clutching and grabbing, he will find his space reduced considerably.

That leaves him a very, very good player but not as good as his stats on a stacked Pitt team would indicate.
If your laugh means that Gaborik is on par with Malkin in any way, you're just not understanding how special Malkin is.

By the way, as to the argument as to Malkin's playoff performances to date, they stack up pretty favorably against Ovechkin/s, yet I understand how great Ovechkin is.

Old
05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If your laugh means that Gaborik is on par with Malkin in any way, you're just not understanding how special Malkin is.

By the way, as to the argument as to Malkin's playoff performances to date, they stack up pretty favorably against Ovechkin/s, yet I understand how great Ovechkin is.
My laugh has nothing to do with Gaborik but at the thought of Malkin going from Crosby passing the puck to him to Christensen doing whatever it is that he did this year. We suck offensively and until the young guys here and in the organization "arrive", we are a piss poor team. That's reality and for Malkin (or anyone) to match numbers coming from a high scoring team to us is a stretch and should not be expected.

Gaborik and us fans were spared that disappointment as he went from one bad team to another. Even if we could get our offensive pauper's paws on another star, he will find this a very challenging place to play next year. About the only one who is likely to have consistent offensive numbers is someone like Kovalchuk who like Gaborik, has historically scored with weak offensive teams.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:55 AM
satrabyk

Malkin might be the best player in the league in my opinion but saying that anything is possible in this league. The Great One was traded more than once, most stars are moved. When things go south some managers dont wait and try to capitilize on their assests as ASAP. If Pens fail again next year this Malkin talk might be legit, but as for this point he still untouchable. If Rangers could geta guy like that i would give the Pens all we have except Henrik who they wouldint need anyway with Fleury in net. Comparing Gaborik to Malkin is really absurd shows the Rangers goggles some people wear on this board and in general in NY.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:58 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
He actually led the Penguins by himself in the previous season so your arguments against him are becoming even more misguided.

You can like whomever you want, but to deny that he is a phenomenal player is spitting into the wind.
he led them for what 20 games? great, still not a playoff megastar and still a ghost for good stretches. i never said the guy doesn't have talent. he is a great player. in fact i even said he could be a playoff megastar in the future but he is in no way one now. and my point about him not leading a team is that he reminds me of the type of guy that has to play with elite level talent. his stats would be no where near what they are now if he was playing for the rangers (and we didn't have gaborik). another example of this is marian hossa. hossa is a better example because he has been on more teams. everywhere hossa goes he goes where there is already established elite talent imo because he doesn't want to be "the guy". malkin reminds me of the same thing.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:05 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

i dont remember anyone ever bringing up ovechkin's playoff numbers. and i'm sure nobody called him a playoff megastar. malkin out of 4 years in the playoffs only had one great stretch (obviously the conn smyth) the year before he had a good run but died in the finals and did nothing. this year crap. his 1st year basically nothing. i dont care what you say about ovechkin i know he's not a megastar in the playoffs yet and neither is malkin.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Non-trolling Pens fan . . . Look at Malkin's stats when Crosby was out two years ago and five games last year. Look at Crosby stats this year in the 15 games Malkin missed. You might want to rethink that post.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Non-trolling Pens fan . . . Look at Malkin's stats when Crosby was out two years ago and five games last year. Look at Crosby stats this year in the 15 games Malkin missed. You might want to rethink that post.
no my post is good. i'm not going to look at a specific part of the season. i'm talking about the whole season and career in general. and besides crosby had a ridiculous year. now i've read points being made that both players points can be attributed to each other while somebody else is saying it is very rare for them to play together, so i'm done arguing this point. my opinion if malkin didn't have crosby he would be a good player, with him hes better and crosby without malkin is still an mvp.

Old
05-20-2010, 07:53 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Most Rangers fans would not want to give up what it would take to land a player that has 143 goals with 389 points in 309 games, is turning just 24, and has already won the Conn Smythe, Art Ross, and Calder trophies.
I'm with ya on that...

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
chosen

Quote:
[/B]

i dont remember anyone ever bringing up ovechkin's playoff numbers. and i'm sure nobody called him a playoff megastar. malkin out of 4 years in the playoffs only had one great stretch (obviously the conn smyth) the year before he had a good run but died in the finals and did nothing. this year crap. his 1st year basically nothing. i dont care what you say about ovechkin i know he's not a megastar in the playoffs yet and neither is malkin.

Ovechkin disappeared for points of the season and in the playoffs. Crosby disappeared at points during the season. Every player who ever played goes cold for stretches.

You would have been better off just saying that you don't like Malkin despite how great he is because any hockey fan who doesn't think Malkin is a top-5 forward (He's probably #3 at the moment) in the NHL, just doesn't understand the game. I tried to think of a nicer way to say it, but I couldn't come up with one.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Obviously not happening but:

Kane + Versteeg + 1st/2nd for Malkin

for example.

Sharp - Malkin - Byfuglien
Ladd - Toews - Hossa
Brouwer - Bolland - Skille

Kunitz - Crosby - Kane
Versteeg - Staal - Dupuis
Cooke - Talbot - Kennedy

I think makes both better. Especially since I think Malkin plays his best hockey when Sid is hurt or isn't scoring, so I'm inclined to believe he'd thrive on his own team.
No way I mess around with what Chicago has going right now. Not for Malkin, not for anyone.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

does no one remember when Crosby went down and Malkin not only carried the Pens but he led them to like a 90% win percentage during the stretch Crosby was out and they were like playing .500 hockey before the injury? I think that was 2 years ago when the Pens lost in the finals. He was purely dominant. Runner up to Ovechkin with 106 points. And after his rookie year, he hasn't played with Crosby much outside of PP time so I don't get the comments about he needs Crosby. Utter uninformed malarkey. Malkin is elite. He is in the Crosby and Ovechkin level of talent. Oh yeah, Art Ross trophy last year? 113 points. Not elite?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:56 PM
rambler725

this year aside I thought Malkin was always the better player than Crosby...to me Crosby was more media hype which made people believe he was better than Crosby

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote