HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Trade With Minny (Weber)

Old
05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Really? Spezza has a career average of well over ppg 1.02 compared to Koivu's 0.70 ppg , his totals were down a little this season but he has already had seasons of 92, 90 and 87 points. Koivu's top was this season's 71 points.

Kopitar has had seasons of 34, 32 and 27 goals and finished this season with 10 more points. He's huge 222lbs. No way is Koivu better.
So you just look at points and size as criteria for who's good or bad?

Spezza has always had good linemates as finishers which inflates his numbers. Kopitar is a solid player no doubt and he's had some pretty good linemates as well playing alongside him. They also play in a more offensive team setting than Minny has over the years. It wasn't until this year that they finally opened it up some.

Koivu plays in all situations, is a great faceoff guy and puts up numbers with minimal help from his linemates. Not saying he's better than these two you just mentioned but he's still a heck of an all around player that would fit very well into the system here in Nashville. Not saying we should trade Weber or Suter for him but I wouldn't complain at all if he were here.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Really? Spezza has a career average of well over ppg 1.02 compared to Koivu's 0.70 ppg , his totals were down a little this season but he has already had seasons of 92, 90 and 87 points. Koivu's top was this season's 71 points.

Kopitar has had seasons of 34, 32 and 27 goals and finished this season with 10 more points. He's huge 222lbs. No way is Koivu better.

wasn't so much as the points as what koivu brings intangible wise. the guy is a leader, very good defensively, you don't ever hear of him being a head case, etc. not saying spezza and kopitar are not very very good players, I would prefer koivu over them. I think the fact that he plays in minny and doesnt have all the hype hurts him as well. another thing, kopitar has played with frolov, now smyth, and other offensively capable players. koivu has played with andrew brunette, 1/2 seasons of gaborik, and not much else. and spezza has had the luxury of alfreddson and heatley for years. I know their success is also his success, bit it is a factor you have to consider.

also I think koivu is david legwand with offensive talent.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
wasn't so much as the points as what koivu brings intangible wise. the guy is a leader, very good defensively, you don't ever hear of him being a head case, etc. not saying spezza and kopitar are not very very good players, I would prefer koivu over them. I think the fact that he plays in minny and doesnt have all the hype hurts him as well. another thing, kopitar has played with frolov, now smyth, and other offensively capable players. koivu has played with andrew brunette, 1/2 seasons of gaborik, and not much else. and spezza has had the luxury of alfreddson and heatley for years. I know their success is also his success, bit it is a factor you have to consider.

also I think koivu is david legwand with offensive talent.
im not so sure that if you simply put koivu in legwands slot with Ward and Smithson and the same expectations(shutdown line first) that Koivus numbers wouldnt be as bad or worse than leggys.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:40 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

When it comes to a huge gap in numbers like that of Koivu and the others mentioned yes numbers become valid.

I really don't think numbers are the only thing in play here either, he's just not as good of a hockey player than either Spezza or Kopitar.

Don't disregard Brunnette as not a good player either, he's a decent goal scorer, his numbers are pretty similar to Frolov's...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:56 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Koivu is a 2nd line center at best. 20 goal scorer, not 30. nice to have, but by no means a franchise player
The man got twenty goals out of Antti Miettinen. That on its own deserves some sort of award. But I disagree with your take of "2nd line center at best." Koivu is a first line center on a good team and a second line center on an elite team. He brings a lot of intangibles, great two-way play and can make players around him better; however having a player like that on the second line would make for a deadly combination.

Also, unless someone is taking back a defenseman in the deal, there's really no reason for Minnesota to trade for a blue-liner. The Wild are set on that end for better or for worse.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote