HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gear in the bag in a car all day in the summer (am I asking for death by smell?)

Old
05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Gear in the bag in a car all day in the summer (am I asking for death by smell?)

A rink by where I work is starting up a summer hockey camp, with classes at 6:30 in the morning. This is something I'd love to do, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with my gear. The rink is a half hour from my home, and less than 5 minutes from my work.

So I go in, get a good workout, but it doesn't make sense to drive the extra hour in the morning, just to return my gear to home. (work is flexible on my start time but not THAT flexible) I've checked with the rink, and there's no lockers I can leave it at.

So I'm left with wondering what to do about this. I'm very religious about getting my gear out of my bag, and air drying the second I get home, and I usually wash it once a week if I play in it multiple times. I have brought my gear to work, for when I had a game after, but I had always washed it before to insure I wouldn't kill the guy I unfortunately share a cube with.

I really don't want to leave it in the car, especially since I'll be getting to work at the time when I won't be able to get a covered parking spot. Don't want the car to smell like bag funk, and with the temperature car interiors get, re-bake my skates every day, and loosen the glue on the 2 piece stick.

Any ideas, suggestions, people who have done similar things, what were your solutions?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If you can handle your hockey smell, then don't worry about it. Suck it up. If the direct sunlight is an issue try getting one of those reflective things that people put on their windshield.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
mbush82

Isn't there a shock doctor bag that dries your gear? I think all you need is a power outlet. I don't know how well it would work, but I'm kind of interested in it since its such a chore to take out all my gear and put it back in after every time i play.

mbush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:54 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
the other thing you need to worry about is your skates. if they are heat moldeable, then there's a good chance that they can soften up quite a bit as temps inside a car in the summer can get up to 140*F.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Hockeyfan68

Not worth a Staph infection, had one and almost had a leg amputated when I was 11.

Clean your gear when you get home either by spraying it with a rubbing alcohol at a 70% mixture which most rubbing alcohol is sold at anyway. Place a spray bottle sprayer right on the ALCOHOL BOTTLE, THEY FIT PERFECTLY.

Wash what can be washed in the washing machine, most washables for hockey are not dryer safe so hang them to dry.

I'm friggin serious though guys wash your ****. The days of being 13 and stinking the lockeroom up for a giggle are gone by.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:02 AM
blueberrydanish

Honestly I doubt leaving it in your car for a work day is that detrimental to your gear being unsanitary...obviously when ya get home lay it out and you should be fine. As for your skates rebaking and glue getting messy...I live in Florida so if my gear can make it through the heat fine I assume yours in a trunk will be fine for a work day in your trunk aslong as you air it out asap...just make sure you clean your gear more than normal(I never really clean my protective gear besides my jock anyways =p).

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Skraut

Yeah was mostly concerned about staph and the heat causing issues with the skates.

Old
05-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yeah was mostly concerned about staph and the heat causing issues with the skates.
I really think making more of a chore to make sure your stuff is washed will do it. There isn't enough time in a day I know but make some for that stuff.

This Staph infection stuff I am surprised does not happen more often yet can happen to anyone at any time.

Mark Stuart for the Bruins missed the last couple of regular season games as well as almost 2 complete playoff rounds from a Staph infection on his hand, he had to have surgery to remove it since it is highly anti-biotic resitant.

This is serious stuff and when I see guys shrugging it off because it happens just once in a while it really makes me shake my head like they just don't get it.

So be wise and learn about Staph, Google it .... and don't look at the pictures.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
GuitarAwesome

Joe Thornton, and other NHL players have had SERIOUS problems with bacteria on the gear in the past. Better safe then sorry. As for the car, stick the equipment in the bag, you wont have too much smell. When you get home, make sure you kill the bacteria when it's airing out in whatever method you are used to.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Scotty94

If you have to do it, then you have to do it. Just air it out good when you get home and maybe look into washing it or a disinfectant spray every so often.

Scotty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:27 PM
noobman

If your car is parked in a secure yet well-lit place, you could take some of the larger or soggier pieces of equipment and leave them on your seat to dry.

I do this with my swimming gear at work. It's obviously not as much and doesn't smell as bad, but it's the same idea. Just make sure to drive home with the windows down!!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:08 AM
densetsu

What kind of work environment do you have?

I work in a 12-story office building, where my company rents two floors. There's no room for smelly hockey gear to dry anywhere in my company's offices, but if I were in a pinch I might talk to the building manager. You'd be surprised how many utility rooms, shipping areas, janitorial areas, etc that an office building has.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:41 AM
TinofGrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Do you think your cube mate could handle having just the skates in the cube with you? Maybe bring your skates/sticks in with you, leave everything else in the car and hose it down when you get home?

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
What kind of work environment do you have?

I work in a 12-story office building, where my company rents two floors. There's no room for smelly hockey gear to dry anywhere in my company's offices, but if I were in a pinch I might talk to the building manager. You'd be surprised how many utility rooms, shipping areas, janitorial areas, etc that an office building has.
I work in a pretty nice building just for our company's corporate headquarters. I can check around the with the loading docks, or security and see if there's someplace I can stash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinofGrizz View Post
Do you think your cube mate could handle having just the skates in the cube with you? Maybe bring your skates/sticks in with you, leave everything else in the car and hose it down when you get home?
failing the first option, this probably would work. Thanks. I want to make sure I don't have any excuses for why I CAN'T do this hockey camp

Old
05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I don't get why staph is an issue if he's just going to clean his stuff when he gets home anyway?

Wasn't this all about the smell and the effect of excessive heat on the equipment?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Skraut

well, I wasn't sure how badly things would spread around the bag in just the 8 hours while I was at work. I know some guys don't clean their stuff that often, but I was concerned that the heat and sealed environment would make the bacteria grow even faster / create a worse situation.

Old
05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I don't get why staph is an issue if he's just going to clean his stuff when he gets home anyway?

Wasn't this all about the smell and the effect of excessive heat on the equipment?
I made my comments based on his description of possible odor if he decides to play mornings.... if there is odor there is bacteria because the odor is waste product of bacteria consuming human cells such as sweat.

This why armpits stink, feet, breath etc etc. So in theory if he is smelling his gear he is not cleaning it enough.

I can honestly tell you my gear does not stink because I air it out right when I get home from hockey. This is obviously a problem for him to do because of work so i suggested making extra time to wash his gear EVERYDAY HE PLAYS, I have no other answer than he go hiome after playing and then drive back to work which wastes gas etc.

Old
05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
rinkrat22

being a firefighter, I have the ease of going home after a morning skate. (we work 24hrs on 48hrs off). But I did some asking around the last couple of days of the "office" guys at the morning skate I frequent. They ALL leave their gear in their cars or trucks until the get home at night, then they just air it out in the evening. most wash their under garments between skates though. No one has had any problems with infections, or major smells. The guys with cars usually leave the bags in the trunks, without any damage to gear from heat. Some of the guys do spray their stuff down with febreeze or a lysol type spray before they pach their gear away.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
being a firefighter, I have the ease of going home after a morning skate. (we work 24hrs on 48hrs off). But I did some asking around the last couple of days of the "office" guys at the morning skate I frequent. They ALL leave their gear in their cars or trucks until the get home at night, then they just air it out in the evening. most wash their under garments between skates though. No one has had any problems with infections, or major smells. The guys with cars usually leave the bags in the trunks, without any damage to gear from heat. Some of the guys do spray their stuff down with febreeze or a lysol type spray before they pach their gear away.
Cool, really appreciate you asking around. I'm still pretty new to the sport, and so the pricetags for everything that is in my bag is still fresh in my head. So may have been overly cautious in asking, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that would ruin any of the gear, or cause myself other problems.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:51 PM
rinkrat22

If you think about it, skates get baked around 170 to 180 degrees That's fahrenheit for you boys up north. I doubt a trunk gets that warm just from the sun. As long as you pull it out at night to get some air it will be fine.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:10 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Well 2 things i thought of:

1: Roll down the windows and let it air dry in your car if its not to hot where you live.
But ask your boss if its ok if you take your skates into your office or wherever so they dont get heat damage.

2: Ask your boss if you can store your bag inside, but not take everything out, just unzip the bag and it will Kinda air out.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Pierre Gotye

I wouldn't leave my skates in a hot car, they're heat moldable and all that heat can't be good for them.

I've left my pads in the car before, but I always take my skates with me.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Khabby

The part of your car that really gets hot is the inside of the cab areas were there are windows, greenhouse yadayada. Anyways, The trunk of your car is no where as hot as it is inside a car on a summer day. Unless your running amps for subwoofers in there. So I just say put your skates in your trunk if you need to, Just leave the rest of your gear in the bag. You can get some spray to spray your gear down after you use it and put it in your bag and then air it out and clean it when you get home. Those extra 8 hours in your car arnt going to hurt, unless you dont air them out at all.

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:33 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
If it's safe enough, you could try leaving the windows open a crack for some ventilation. If someone wants to break into your car to steal your stuff, a closed window might not stop them anyway. Other than that, some older vehicles have ventilation under the dash of the front seat - you could leave those open as well. Every little bit counts.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If you don't mind spending money, you could rent out one of those self storage units. In my area, I've seen them as low as $25 a month.

Or you could simply buy a pick up truck with a bed cover to air it out

How often is practice? If it's once or twice a week, then I'd say you're fine. More than that, I'd look for something

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote