HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Anisimov Interview

Old
05-18-2010, 12:01 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Unlike a lot of hockey players, Anisimov seems really smart (on and off the ice). Of course he has skill also, which helps. I'm still not sure exactly what his potential is, but he shows a lot of promise. And it sounds like he likes playing here and doesn't take it for granted.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Unlike a lot of hockey players, Anisimov seems really smart (on and off the ice). Of course he has skill also, which helps. I'm still not sure exactly what his potential is, but he shows a lot of promise. And it sounds like he likes playing here and doesn't take it for granted.
to be honest, hes still developing into his game. arty projects to be a very solid 3rd line centerman short term and perhaps a 2nd pivot once he starts creating some space for his wingers a bit better. he plays both ends, understands the defensive side of the ice and is a grinder at heart but shows signs of a finisher at times.

his lack of top end speed and tendency to skate with his head down- causing a bit of tunnel vision not to mention a few headaches , will prevent him from playing high end offensive hockey. i would like to see his "ice awareness" improve when he is transporting the puck. if that happens, he does have the stick skills and passing to play the 2c.

you saw it end of last year, he played with 4th liners and produced. however, he was not matched up against the opponents top lines normally and thus he did some damage when he had some time and space against those lower lines.

i would be very happy seeing him develop into a solid 2c but for now, i would pencil him in as the 3c for next season and make sure he has some speed on his wings (and his helmet on tight)

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Odd, under no circumstances could MZA turn into a 3rd liner. He doesnt have the grit or defensive skill to survive without producing points at a 2nd line level. So its 2nd line or AHL/PA parenteau duty for the year.
Yeah, myself and a few others have repeatedly made this point. No one seems to be listening though. I gave up on it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, myself and a few others have repeatedly made this point. No one seems to be listening though. I gave up on it.
yeah agree.

thats why i put a ? next to the 3. not sure where hell play if he cant produce on the 2nd line. hes too small to play 3rd line role i would think but again, you never know with torts and his crazy line combos.

i mean, we are a team with a 1st line, 2 3rd lines and a 4th line that was our best line at the end of the season. given that, he would technically be playing on the 3rd line

Old
05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
rangersfan111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
This idea of a "big body" who can put up 60 points is... funny. You all know that Byfuglien has a career high of 37 points? Yes, he's scorching in the playoffs but the buzz about him is a perfect example of HF boards "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Byfuglien had 33 points in 82 games this season and throughout his entire career Hawks fans have talked about how frequently he's invisible. Also, you may not have liked being "demoted" to the wing, but Dubinksy is a big boy making over a million a year to play on the Rangers and I don't think he's nearly as phased by it. There are examples of players switching on/off between center and wing all throughout the NHL. Dubi may still get chances to play C in PK and PP situations and even if he doesn't, he's clearly more productive on the wing and I think he's happy enough to be on a pace for a 50 point season in the NHL and I'm pretty content with keeping him on the wing; it's a luxury that we can move him back to center at any time that we need him there.
the only reason byfuglien puts up 30 some odd points is because he gets 3rd or 4th line ice time on that stacked team ... in the playoffs they moved him up to the first line because he physically punishes other teams and he has the skillset to play with those players ...
anisimov doesn't need correy perry to help him produce ... he played exceptionally well with jody shelley who musterd 5 pts in his last 10 games of the season ... if shelley can get a point every other game with anisimov just imagine what byfuglien could do... also Byfuglien was a defenseman when he first came to the nhl

Anisimov should be a 2nd line centremen next year but he needs supporting cast ... avery and byfuglien are exactly what he needs

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
the only reason byfuglien puts up 30 some odd points is because he gets 3rd or 4th line ice time on that stacked team ... in the playoffs they moved him up to the first line because he physically punishes other teams and he has the skillset to play with those players ...
anisimov doesn't need correy perry to help him produce ... he played exceptionally well with jody shelley who musterd 5 pts in his last 10 games of the season ... if shelley can get a point every other game with anisimov just imagine what byfuglien could do... also Byfuglien was a defenseman when he first came to the nhl

Anisimov should be a 2nd line centremen next year but he needs supporting cast ... avery and byfuglien are exactly what he needs
The reason Byfuglien plays on the 3rd line all season is because he's wildly inconsistent and NOT that great. The reason he's sticking on the first right now is because, like many players become in the post season, he's HOT. It's absolutely NOT the other way around... He's certainly got potential and an attractive mix of size and skills, but he's a borderline 2nd liner, good 3rd liner. If he hadn't had a hat trick against Vancouver there is NO WAY anyone would be arguing that he's more than a good 3rd liner who can fill in on the top lines when necessary.

Clearly, Anisimov + Byfuglien is going to be WAY better than Toews/Kane + Byfuglien! Anisimov and Shelley had chemistry for a few games... let's not extrapolate that to believe that Anisimov makes grinders into 50 point players just yet.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm fairly sure that a lot of people are basing their opinions of Byfuglien on this post season, and seemingly nothing else. He's a good player, but not worth a spot in the top 6 on a good offensive team. If we bring him in to play on our top two lines, then we're asking too much of him.

It's like Callahan...he's really not a top six player, no matter how much time we give him there. And he's a little better offensively than Byfuglien. If we magically found another couple top six guys, and had the cap space for Buff, that would be great...but as it is, he'd be kind of a "square peg into round hole" acquisition.

Old
05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm fairly sure that a lot of people are basing their opinions of Byfuglien on this post season, and seemingly nothing else. He's a good player, but not worth a spot in the top 6 on a good offensive team. If we bring him in to play on our top two lines, then we're asking too much of him.

It's like Callahan...he's really not a top six player, no matter how much time we give him there. And he's a little better offensively than Byfuglien. If we magically found another couple top six guys, and had the cap space for Buff, that would be great...but as it is, he'd be kind of a "square peg into round hole" acquisition.
Absolutely... and we already have an entire team of that.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Absolutely... and we already have an entire team of that.
Exactly. He brings some nice size and grit, something we are a little lacking in...yet he's completely redundant in that he's a third line player on a team full of those types.

Again, if we magically plug in our holes with honest-to-goodness top six players and still have the cap space for Buff, awesome. Otherwise, no.

Old
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Byfuglien is an attractive role player to add to any team's roster but he simply makes TOO MUCH $$$ for what he contributes and the Rangers are unfortunately cap-strapped with multiple poor value contracts....

I'd take Byfuglien at $2 or $2.25 mil but $3 mil for a guy who won't hit 20 goals or 40 points is just pushing it.... Once his contract expires does he expect a raise?? He's maxed out his value with his current contract IMHO....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:26 AM
NYR Viper

Byfuglien would do well in Detroit in place of Holmstrom.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
rangersfan111

callahan got double the powerplay time as byfuglien ... thats the only reason he put up more points ... byfuglien has more upside than callahan hands down ...
call me when callahan puts up a hattrick in the playoffs ... byfuglien played on the 3rd line in the nashville series and since being moved up to the first line he has 7 points in 7 games ...
byfuglien is a grinder and a powerforward that is willing to drop the gloves for his teammates (exactly what we need)... if you guys have played hockey ... you would understand the imporance of a player like byfuglien ... i played with multiple players like ansimov(highly skilled but when it got a little physical they were no where to be seen).. the coaches solved the problem by surrounding him with punishing checkers who had excellent hands ...
Chemistry is extremeley underrated on this board ... look at montreal this year, buffalo a few years ago, devils in the late '90's and early 2000's...
anisimov will eventually be a legitimate 2nd line centremen ... but in order for him to reach his potential he needs to be given the right ice time and he needs to play with players that he feels comfortable around ... trust me he does not feel comfortable playing with ryan callahan or chris drury nor mats zuccarello... byfuglien is affordable and we wouldn't have to give up too much for him

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Byfuglien's contract is not affordable by any means....

Old
05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
mullichicken25

this whole article was a great read...gotta love anisimov, and i hope he continues to progress!

i wish we would get articles of this type over here in the states. Sports Journalists almost never devote time to in depth articles with hockey players, and often times when they do, the player isn't aas open and forthcoming as amisimov. Im so tired of reading BS interviews with the same BS cookiecutter responses....this was a nice change of pace

side note...was anyone else shocked/stunned when they read the part about the courtesy of drivers and ease of traffic in new york? I cant even being to imagine the traffic situation in moscow then....do people stab eachother at merges or somthing?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:45 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Guys that score 35 points at $3MM/year aren't affordable for us right now.

Old
05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Byfuglien's contract is not affordable by any means....
especially when you factor in his overall game is more of what we pretty much have already.

hes neither playmaker nor finisher.

im sorry. we need to spend our money on guys who can score goals and make our pp better.

Old
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Id love to have a Byfuglein to play on the wing of an Anisimov line and step in at D when needed. But as long as Drury is here we cant afford to overpay for forwards, let alone give up assets for one.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
The Thomas J.*

I like how he points out how Avery is completly diffrent in the locker room. Avery is most likely one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, I bet the guy would give u the shirt off his back if you asked him too.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
ZacUSNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I like how he points out how Avery is completly diffrent in the locker room. Avery is most likely one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, I bet the guy would give u the shirt off his back if you asked him too.
Makes ya wonder about the "avery is a cancer in the locker room" rumor.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:47 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
Makes ya wonder about the "avery is a cancer in the locker room" rumor.
i chalk that up to, "we're losing, point the finger!!"

same with the Torts youth stuff

if everything this season went exactly the same way but we got a few different breaks, people would have been singing a very different tune

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:50 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
callahan got double the powerplay time as byfuglien ... thats the only reason he put up more points ... byfuglien has more upside than callahan hands down ...
call me when callahan puts up a hattrick in the playoffs ... byfuglien played on the 3rd line in the nashville series and since being moved up to the first line he has 7 points in 7 games ...
byfuglien is a grinder and a powerforward that is willing to drop the gloves for his teammates (exactly what we need)... if you guys have played hockey ... you would understand the imporance of a player like byfuglien ... i played with multiple players like ansimov(highly skilled but when it got a little physical they were no where to be seen).. the coaches solved the problem by surrounding him with punishing checkers who had excellent hands ...
Chemistry is extremeley underrated on this board ... look at montreal this year, buffalo a few years ago, devils in the late '90's and early 2000's...
anisimov will eventually be a legitimate 2nd line centremen ... but in order for him to reach his potential he needs to be given the right ice time and he needs to play with players that he feels comfortable around ... trust me he does not feel comfortable playing with ryan callahan or chris drury nor mats zuccarello... byfuglien is affordable and we wouldn't have to give up too much for him
Wow, yeah, if any of us had ever played hockey. What an argument.

4 years at UVM. What did you play? Byfuglien is a 3rd line player who is currently HOT. Get over it.

How about we go after Fernando Pisani guys? He's your average 3rd/4th liner who could be had on the cheap AND he's a UFA this summer... I mean, he DID score 14 goals and 18 points in the 05-06 playoffs, so clearly, he could be a top-six player.

I love AA, but if he can only feel comfortable playing with guys who are 6'3 240lbs than he's going to have a rough career. I'm not discounting chemistry, but Dustin Byfuglien on this team would be so wildly disappointing I don't even want to imagine it. Add to that the fact that Byfuglien being huge is in NO way a guarantee that he has chemistry with AA and that there's no top end talent to make him look like a stud here... he'd pan out to be the 35 point player he is and everyone would be pissed about paying him 3M.

Again, he has some attractive assets and in the right circumstances can flourish and probably has the potential to be a 45 point player one day, but that's playing with guys like Kane and Toews, not with Anisimov and Avery.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Wow, yeah, if any of us had ever played hockey. What an argument.

4 years at UVM. What did you play? Byfuglien is a 3rd line player who is currently HOT. Get over it.

How about we go after Fernando Pisani guys? He's your average 3rd/4th liner who could be had on the cheap AND he's a UFA this summer... I mean, he DID score 14 goals and 18 points in the 05-06 playoffs, so clearly, he could be a top-six player.

I love AA, but if he can only feel comfortable playing with guys who are 6'3 240lbs than he's going to have a rough career. I'm not discounting chemistry, but Dustin Byfuglien on this team would be so wildly disappointing I don't even want to imagine it. Add to that the fact that Byfuglien being huge is in NO way a guarantee that he has chemistry with AA and that there's no top end talent to make him look like a stud here... he'd pan out to be the 35 point player he is and everyone would be pissed about paying him 3M.

Again, he has some attractive assets and in the right circumstances can flourish and probably has the potential to be a 45 point player one day, but that's playing with guys like Kane and Toews, not with Anisimov and Avery.
The more experience Anisimov gets at this level, the better he'll become and the more he'll set the tone for his linemattes. He did excellent in Hartford playing with Byers/Dupont and Paranteau, the later of who is not a big guy.

The point of Byfuglien is not to become a 30 goal scorer, but for him to at even strength cycle and wreck havoc with Anisimov and another cycler (Prust, Weise, Avery, Cally, etc.), and screen the goalie on the PP.

Big Byfug's come along way, been following him for a few years now. He went from being a 3rd paid Dman who would do notihng but fight to being a 35-point player scoring some clutch goals in the playoffs both this season and last.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Forget the small talk, look at his salary and look at the Rangers' payroll.... We can't afford to take on a relatively high salary that offers little in terms of offensive output regardless of the other intangibles.... Again, if Byfuglien progresses on whatever team he gets traded to, and scores, lets say 25 goals and 45 points, how much do you expect his asking price to be when his current contract expires now that he's already making $3 mil a season.... $4 mil a year for a 45 point player?

I enjoy watching him play but he's overpaid and I don't see him taking a pay cut on any future team...

Old
05-18-2010, 07:58 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Byfuglien would do well in Detroit in place of Holmstrom.

Now here's a guy who I wouldn't mind if Rangers brought him in on a 1 year deal relatively cheap.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:42 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I said it before and I'll say it again

artem plays small, he skates with his head down and was rocked more than once this past season. He needs to finish his checks not avoid contact which he did with regularity.

He has nice upside, good size, wheels and hands.

Has to learn how to be a complete hockey player

really hoping he can develop into a solid 2nd line center

he could be a big part of a NY return to the playoffs

I am sure we hope he can meet this challenge

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote