HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston's Decision

Old
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
pennerstheman

vCash: 500
Boston's Decision

I was just thinking to myself whats Boston going to do if the Oilers pick Hall with the first overall pick then they would have to take Seguin. The Bruins already have 3 proven star Center men in Savard, Krejci and Bergeron. Will they be trading one of these guys? If so what would it take the Oilers to pick up one of Seguin,Bergeron and Krejci

pennerstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
The Oilers could get Seguin by drafting him... oh, wait, you mean you want both of the Big Two.

I have no idea if there's anything the Oilers presently have that is both 1) of interest to Boston and 2) something the Oilers can realistically afford to give up.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Lahey

Wouldn't say they are "stars".. They are fantastic players.. but not "stars"

Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennerstheman View Post
I was just thinking to myself whats Boston going to do if the Oilers pick Hall with the first overall pick then they would have to take Seguin. The Bruins already have 3 proven star Center men in Savard, Krejci and Bergeron. Will they be trading one of these guys? If so what would it take the Oilers to pick up one of Seguin,Bergeron and Krejci
Ceerist, could you not reference the 8 billion other threads created by Oilers fans trying to tell Bruins fans why they need to trade one of their high end Centermen (or Seguin) to Edmonton).

Boston is picking Seguin, they'll love him, and they'll keep him. Krejci and Bergeron will also remain Bruins as Seguin willl start out on the wing and likely develop there (Chia and Seguin have both said he can play the wing), may even remain there, but worst case scenario Marc Savard is eventually (somewhere down the road) dealt off.

The simplest way to put it, your team isn't benefiting because Boston picks Seguin... Boston is benefiting because Boston picks Seguin.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pennerstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The Oilers could get Seguin by drafting him... oh, wait, you mean you want both of the Big Two.

I have no idea if there's anything the Oilers presently have that is both 1) of interest to Boston and 2) something the Oilers can realistically afford to give up.
I'm just saying what if the Oilers draft Hall? Which I hope they dont. What will they end up doing with 4 big Centers?

Old
05-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Ace Ballsy

Has Bergeron played as wing before and was he better than he is at center?

Ace Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

I think he meant, "If so what would it take the Oilers to pick up one of Savard,Bergeron and Krejci"

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belak4RocketRichard View Post
Yes he has and no he wasn't. He'll remain a center. Far easier to convert Seguin to wing.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

i think the jury is definitely out on what Boston will do... and that Chiarelli has not been easy to predict since he has become our GM. Our message board is never up to date on what he is thinking. No one had chara coming to boston or savard when they got signed origionally. most of us thought roenick and modano were the targets instead of savard.

none of us had any clue ferrence was getting resigned at all let alone for that type of money. we didnt know that morris was being sent out at the deadline. again and again and again and again chiarelli has shown us all that he has his plan to do things and he sees absolutely no reason to share it with us on hockey futures forums.

i personally have been against many many many of his individual moves as he makes them, but by golly they do usually fit his overall master plan and now the bruins are one of 2 teams to go final 8 two seasons in a row... and we have 4 huge expiring ufa contracts about to come off the books or get renegotiated after this season... and 4 first round picks in the next 2 years.

so i have finally got to the point I am going to trust chiarelli that he knows what he is doing.

If I was playing the home edition of Bruin GM though I think giving Savard the huge deal means we think he is our number 1 guy and that he will be around for a long time.

After that... its a bit of a crap shoot but tying money up in Thomas and Ferrence this past year probably has us in a cap crunch for this next year. Bergeron is currently signed one more year and then becomes an UFA

I wouldnt expect any trades until draft day at the earliest... cause if we end up with Hall then things probably change. If we draft Seguin, then Seguin becomes the future franchise guy and we likely dont ask him to move to wing. If we draft Hall we probably do ask him to play wing.

No matter which of the two kids we draft... Bergeron is still headed to UFA. Most Bruin fans giving their opinions about Bergeron suggest he should take a pay cut and be happy coming back to play with third line linemates.

I will suggest you cant find more then 5-10 guys in the last decade that ever did anything like that for their teams. Almost all NHL players will take the best contract available when they become UFA.

In a league where there are always 29 rival gms trying to protect their jobs... there will always be one of them willing to throw money at a player they feel can get them into the playoffs or win a round once there.

In a league where GMS feel its ok to pay Statsny 7 mill a year and Drury 7.5 and Horcorff his 6 or whatever he is getting... there will be at least one that feels Bergeron is better then these guys.

It could end up being ourselves that think Bergeron is worth 6-7 and maybe its us that gives it to him... but I doubt it. He did get our best wingers this year... our prime PP time and he was pretty healthy and on a team desperate for him to step up and produce offense... and we saw him fail to dominate in a first line role. We saw our team struggle to make the playoffs with him in the first line role... and while we got elliminated we saw him get owned by Richards in head to head play.

A healthy Savard is already going to be in place and its likely we have Krecji/Colborne/Seguin/Hamil/Soderberg all projecting to be cheaper options in the 2/3 spots behind Savard over the next few years.

I am prepared to be laughed at and called an idiot when Im wrong this upcoming season, but in recent years im right way more often then Im wrong when figuring out cap related moves for the B's. Id bank on Bergeron getting moved if we draft Seguin in June

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

There's no guaranteeing that Seguin will be NHL-ready right away.

If he ended up taking a Turris-like amount of time to develop, there'd be no reason for Boston to move anyone.

You take BPA, then see how everything shakes out.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Yes he has and no he wasn't. He'll remain a center. Far easier to convert Seguin to wing.
I still can't believe that people just don't get that. Sorry everybody on HFBoards that wants one of Boston's centers, but we will keep Bergeron, Krejci, and Savard if we draft Seguin. It's that simple.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Boston takes BPA and goes from there. None of these guys will be traded just because Seguin is picked up. There have been numerous times that PC and Seguin have addressed this and he's able to play wing and actually came up playing wing. If he's eventually to play center down the line then someone is moved, most likely Savard, but you won't see that in the near future at all.

Like has been said before, Boston takes BPA, this is a nonissue that won't really be touched by management for a long time.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
pennerstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
There's no guaranteeing that Seguin will be NHL-ready right away.

If he ended up taking a Turris-like amount of time to develop, there'd be no reason for Boston to move anyone.

You take BPA, then see how everything shakes out.
A guy who scored 106 points in 63 games and playing for a team that barely made the playoffs. I'd say he is NHL ready

Old
05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
All_blueandwhite

As an intrigued leafs fans I'm wondering - does the addition of Seguin to your depth at center make a guy like Colborne expendable in the right deal? Say to Toronto for Kaberle ?

All_blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
I think the answer you're looking for is "Boston won't need Seguin, so Boston should trade the pick to Edmonton for Hemsky."

Of course the logical answer is that since the Bruins do have three star centermen, there is no need to rush Seguin into the NHL. Even if he is good enough to spend the season in the NHL, there will not be enough minutes for him to play, and it won't be the ideal situation for him since he'll likely play with 4th liners. Let him develop and round out his game playing in the AHL with top line minutes.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:30 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
more than you want to give up, and from all accounts, Boston (Chia) would take Seguin over Hall anyway.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:35 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_blueandwhite View Post
As an intrigued leafs fans I'm wondering - does the addition of Seguin to your depth at center make a guy like Colborne expendable in the right deal? Say to Toronto for Kaberle ?
Colborne has been playing wing in college, so i would say no.

Unless you want wideman also, and would throw in the equivelant forward prospect back, witch then becomes a lateral salary move by both sides and pointless.

so no.

if Colborne gets traded, look to see Chia include him and something as part of a package to try and land Fowler or Gormley or Gubranson (or how ever you spell the top D-men in this years draft)

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
You won't have to think long....Boston takes whoever Edmonton doesn't. End of story. Someone will move to wing. Sure they could trade someone. Several threads have lobbied for a center from Boston. Who knows. Reality is, if Edmonton takes Hall, Boston takes Seguin.

I'm sure we'll all here the "rumors" that Boston is considering Gudbranson or Fowler as the draft nears. They'll be spread as "serious" rumors and that it might really happen. No chance, forget it, zippo, keep moving...Hall, Seguin. Seguin, Hall that's your top two and I don't think any team has a chance to disrupt that with a trade offer.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
A guy who scored 106 points in 63 games and playing for a team that barely made the playoffs. I'd say he is NHL ready
One year's production totals does not necessarilly equate with the term "NHL ready". There is deeper issues to address and develop beore a GM will feel they are fully developed for NHL conditions. Not making the WJC team would indicate that he likely needs another year of development in other areas. Offense alone does not translate into longetivity in terms of success. With Boston's depth at his current position it makes this decision even easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belak4RocketRichard View Post
Beregeron is an excellent two-way centreman, hence why Stevey-Y selected him onto the Canadian Olympic roster as both their top faceoff man with top PK minutes.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

like with the fans of most teams posting about their teams in these forums... the accuracy of any one posters opinions about his team and the moves they will make runs far below 50% accuracy.

my own perdictions normally run far below 50% accuracy when i say what i would do if im the GM. On the other hand when i study what the GM actually does and then try to predict what he is planning to do based on his overall history, i seem to be able to get my predicting ability above 50%

while most of my fellow bruin fan posters were boldly predicting kessel would get less then krecji because krecji was a better player... and we wouldnt trade him because he had no bargaining power... i was thinking that it didnt seem very likely it would end up that way.

going back to where my fellow bruin fans told me anson carter and bill guerin and jason allison would all be back for cheap... i thought to myself and posted often that it didnt seem likely to end up that way.

im afraid i am very accurate with identifying Bruin heros on their way out the door. I was making posts for a full year and a half about why Joe Thornton was being moved before he ended up moving. I remember I posted we should deal him to Phoenix for Roenick/Tkachuk and I was crucified. I wonder if my proposal would have been laughed at so much when the deal for Stuart/Sturm was eventually announced?

I would have kept Thornton is I was actually in charge... I just was prepared to see him leave cause the writing was up on the wall. I knew Oates would get moved after OConnell chewed him out in the locker room.

I dont get it correct 100% of the time, but Ive been watching my Bruins operate for the last 35 years now and Jacobs has always ran things a certain way. He hires a GM that runs things the way he wants things run.

I dont often like it as a fan... but as an observer of the Bruins, Ive finally got to the point I figure I understand it pretty good. We will move one of our centers before next july... and the smart money is on Bergeron. We will try to improve our defense by adding someone like Karberle if we can afford it. We will try to move Thomas if we can, but theres no signs he wants to be moved at this point and time and he does have a NTC

We probably do hope to draft Hall.

We probably will package assets to try to move up in the draft and probably will use the second pick to grab a dman

If we can deal Ryder we will

I think Wheeler/Stuart are going to be in play but wont be given away

Kids like Colborne/Hamil/even Marchard might be available in trades... but none are at the point we would be giving them away. I definitely think you could have any of them for Karberle if you wanted to do Karberle for them straight up.

Im less convinced we would give up on Caron or Sauve

ultimately we have cap issues... so taking on a Karberle for a Colborne wont be possible unless we can move a salary in a seperate deal to clear the space.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote