HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Player Loans: Doesn't seem fair...

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
AHL Player Loans: Doesn't seem fair...

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/03/08/954091.html

A team in a playoff run being able to take two top notch prospects liek Bowmeester and Weiss just doesn't seem fair. There should be a rule against this.

But since there isn't... Which is the other team Dallas has an AHL deal with again? How are they doing? Any good prospects there?

Old
03-08-2005, 03:25 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

I don't want any loan players in Hamilton. You live or die with your team.

I hope failure for Chicago.

Old
03-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
I don't want any loan players in Hamilton. You live or die with your team.

I hope failure for Chicago.
You're right. I completely agree. Guess I just got caught up in the Playoff rush for a moment and lost my head.

But it just almost makes a mockery of the AHL when you see Chicago doing that. It takes away so much credibility from the league.

Old
03-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I completely agree with Ricky from a competitive standpoint. It is a mockery of what sport is. But keeping in mind the AHL is a developmental league, this is something very useful.

Plus, most leagues (including the NHL) are now a mockery of what sport should be anyway. With all the trades going on, players being bought and a trade deadline so late that team concept is secondary to other things, unfortunately.

Old
03-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Great and the Bulldogs play Chicago this Friday. I wonder how much cash went the other way to San Antonio?
I wonder how many fans the Rampage just lost with this move?

Old
03-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
I wonder how many fans the Rampage just lost with this move?
I wonder if they had any to begin with

Old
03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Not great numbers, but there are a few, 21st overall, averaging 4,500 a game.
Funny thing is, it's not been posted on their own website yet, maybe they're hoping if they don't tell anyone, no one will notice .

Old
03-08-2005, 04:41 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Was this a stab at the Habs signing "begin" so late in the season or just a coincidence? lol jk

Old
03-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

My concern with this is that this may start a trend with some of the other teams. Can you imagine all the teams out of the playoffs lending all their superstars to all the team in the playoffs? It would be pretty bush league.

Old
03-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Look for the former IHL teams to do this, I expect the Milwaukee Admirals to be the next one to do this type of thing.

Old
03-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Fozz

This might be good news for Hamilton... Edmonton is playing Chicago 4 more times this season. The Bulldogs once.

Old
03-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

It's good news for me too, in the sense that I'm going to the Wolves game on the 30th! So I'll see J-Bo, Weiss and Lehtonen

Old
03-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Bileur

Dont you guys have Ott, Daley, Miettinen etc.. for the same reason?

Old
03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Dont you guys have Ott, Daley, Miettinen etc.. for the same reason?
Those guys have been here all year and are members of a Hamilton Bulldogs affiliate. They were not airlifted in at the last second for a playoff run, to me that is a big difference, to you maybe not.

Old
03-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
Those guys have been here all year and are members of a Hamilton Bulldogs affiliate. They were not airlifted in at the last second for a playoff run, to me that is a big difference, to you maybe not.

I see what you're saying and I do see a diffrence but its still very similar IMO.

Old
03-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
My concern with this is that this may start a trend with some of the other teams. Can you imagine all the teams out of the playoffs lending all their superstars to all the team in the playoffs? It would be pretty bush league.
I know what you mean, it does make the league look kind of bad. However, I find it hard to look down on these moves when the NHL does the same thing. The trade deadline is the same thing, rent players for the playoffs. Teams that won't make the playoffs stock on picks and prospects while teams who are in the playoffs get that 'extra missing piece'. Let's say Kovalev doesn't resign, he was a rental. Ron Francis to the leafs, same thing. Zhamnov, Bondra etc... to me it boils down to the same thing.

Only difference is, in the AHL you're not trading picks away. On a related note, do teams receive monatary compensation for loaning players?

Old
03-08-2005, 09:34 PM
alexstream

Chicago is a lock on the playoffs, while San Antonio is out of the playoffs for sure.

Florida just asked if they could let their two promising players play the remaining of the reg season and the playoffs on their team (which is overly stacked with career AHLer and NHL 4th liners.)
it's a win win situation, it's somewhat unfair, maybe... but nothing unusual in a DEVELOPMENTAL league

Old
03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream
Chicago is a lock on the playoffs, while San Antonio is out of the playoffs for sure.

Florida just asked if they could let their two promising players play the remaining of the reg season and the playoffs on their team (which is overly stacked with career AHLer and NHL 4th liners.)
it's a win win situation, it's somewhat unfair, maybe... but nothing unusual in a DEVELOPMENTAL league
It's not a win-win situation for the 2 guys that have lost their spots to prospects from ANOTHER team.

Old
03-09-2005, 03:46 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I know what you mean, it does make the league look kind of bad. However, I find it hard to look down on these moves when the NHL does the same thing. The trade deadline is the same thing, rent players for the playoffs. Teams that won't make the playoffs stock on picks and prospects while teams who are in the playoffs get that 'extra missing piece'. Let's say Kovalev doesn't resign, he was a rental. Ron Francis to the leafs, same thing. Zhamnov, Bondra etc... to me it boils down to the same thing.

Only difference is, in the AHL you're not trading picks away. On a related note, do teams receive monatary compensation for loaning players?
at least the NHL teams receive something, even if it's draft pick. I can give the fans something for the future. In this scenario, they receive nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's just a way to laugh at the tickets' owners.

I don't know if the GM and owner of San Antonio is the same as the Panthers, but I would be pretty frustrated at the NHL team for that.

Closed Thread