HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Player Loans: Doesn't seem fair...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
  #1
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
AHL Player Loans: Doesn't seem fair...

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/03/08/954091.html

A team in a playoff run being able to take two top notch prospects liek Bowmeester and Weiss just doesn't seem fair. There should be a rule against this.

But since there isn't... Which is the other team Dallas has an AHL deal with again? How are they doing? Any good prospects there?

Dan K is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:25 PM
  #2
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.
 
MontrealSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
I don't want any loan players in Hamilton. You live or die with your team.

I hope failure for Chicago.

MontrealSF is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:30 PM
  #3
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
I don't want any loan players in Hamilton. You live or die with your team.

I hope failure for Chicago.
You're right. I completely agree. Guess I just got caught up in the Playoff rush for a moment and lost my head.

But it just almost makes a mockery of the AHL when you see Chicago doing that. It takes away so much credibility from the league.

Dan K is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:34 PM
  #4
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
I completely agree with Ricky from a competitive standpoint. It is a mockery of what sport is. But keeping in mind the AHL is a developmental league, this is something very useful.

Plus, most leagues (including the NHL) are now a mockery of what sport should be anyway. With all the trades going on, players being bought and a trade deadline so late that team concept is secondary to other things, unfortunately.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:44 PM
  #5
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Great and the Bulldogs play Chicago this Friday. I wonder how much cash went the other way to San Antonio?
I wonder how many fans the Rampage just lost with this move?

Bulldog fan is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:45 PM
  #6
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
I wonder how many fans the Rampage just lost with this move?
I wonder if they had any to begin with

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
  #7
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I wonder if they had any to begin with
Not great numbers, but there are a few, 21st overall, averaging 4,500 a game.
Funny thing is, it's not been posted on their own website yet, maybe they're hoping if they don't tell anyone, no one will notice .

Bulldog fan is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 04:41 PM
  #8
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I wonder if they had any to begin with
Was this a stab at the Habs signing "begin" so late in the season or just a coincidence? lol jk

David_99 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 08:30 PM
  #9
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,203
vCash: 500
My concern with this is that this may start a trend with some of the other teams. Can you imagine all the teams out of the playoffs lending all their superstars to all the team in the playoffs? It would be pretty bush league.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 08:44 PM
  #10
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Look for the former IHL teams to do this, I expect the Milwaukee Admirals to be the next one to do this type of thing.

Bulldog fan is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 08:50 PM
  #11
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,400
vCash: 500
This might be good news for Hamilton... Edmonton is playing Chicago 4 more times this season. The Bulldogs once.

Fozz is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 08:54 PM
  #12
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,203
vCash: 500
It's good news for me too, in the sense that I'm going to the Wolves game on the 30th! So I'll see J-Bo, Weiss and Lehtonen

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 08:59 PM
  #13
Bileur
Registered User
 
Bileur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,726
vCash: 500
Dont you guys have Ott, Daley, Miettinen etc.. for the same reason?

Bileur is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
  #14
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Dont you guys have Ott, Daley, Miettinen etc.. for the same reason?
Those guys have been here all year and are members of a Hamilton Bulldogs affiliate. They were not airlifted in at the last second for a playoff run, to me that is a big difference, to you maybe not.

Bulldog fan is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:07 PM
  #15
Bileur
Registered User
 
Bileur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
Those guys have been here all year and are members of a Hamilton Bulldogs affiliate. They were not airlifted in at the last second for a playoff run, to me that is a big difference, to you maybe not.

I see what you're saying and I do see a diffrence but its still very similar IMO.

Bileur is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:07 PM
  #16
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
My concern with this is that this may start a trend with some of the other teams. Can you imagine all the teams out of the playoffs lending all their superstars to all the team in the playoffs? It would be pretty bush league.
I know what you mean, it does make the league look kind of bad. However, I find it hard to look down on these moves when the NHL does the same thing. The trade deadline is the same thing, rent players for the playoffs. Teams that won't make the playoffs stock on picks and prospects while teams who are in the playoffs get that 'extra missing piece'. Let's say Kovalev doesn't resign, he was a rental. Ron Francis to the leafs, same thing. Zhamnov, Bondra etc... to me it boils down to the same thing.

Only difference is, in the AHL you're not trading picks away. On a related note, do teams receive monatary compensation for loaning players?

Quiet Robert is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:34 PM
  #17
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Chicago is a lock on the playoffs, while San Antonio is out of the playoffs for sure.

Florida just asked if they could let their two promising players play the remaining of the reg season and the playoffs on their team (which is overly stacked with career AHLer and NHL 4th liners.)
it's a win win situation, it's somewhat unfair, maybe... but nothing unusual in a DEVELOPMENTAL league

alexstream is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
  #18
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream
Chicago is a lock on the playoffs, while San Antonio is out of the playoffs for sure.

Florida just asked if they could let their two promising players play the remaining of the reg season and the playoffs on their team (which is overly stacked with career AHLer and NHL 4th liners.)
it's a win win situation, it's somewhat unfair, maybe... but nothing unusual in a DEVELOPMENTAL league
It's not a win-win situation for the 2 guys that have lost their spots to prospects from ANOTHER team.

Bulldog fan is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 03:46 PM
  #19
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I know what you mean, it does make the league look kind of bad. However, I find it hard to look down on these moves when the NHL does the same thing. The trade deadline is the same thing, rent players for the playoffs. Teams that won't make the playoffs stock on picks and prospects while teams who are in the playoffs get that 'extra missing piece'. Let's say Kovalev doesn't resign, he was a rental. Ron Francis to the leafs, same thing. Zhamnov, Bondra etc... to me it boils down to the same thing.

Only difference is, in the AHL you're not trading picks away. On a related note, do teams receive monatary compensation for loaning players?
at least the NHL teams receive something, even if it's draft pick. I can give the fans something for the future. In this scenario, they receive nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's just a way to laugh at the tickets' owners.

I don't know if the GM and owner of San Antonio is the same as the Panthers, but I would be pretty frustrated at the NHL team for that.

wedge is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.