HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

USA at the 2010 World Championship

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
  #501
Uncle Sam
Registered User
 
Uncle Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: America
Country: United States
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
JVR with a great night

Uncle Sam is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 09:04 PM
  #502
Grabovski
Грабовский правил
 
Grabovski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gomel, Belarus
Country: Belarus
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Ok so what happens now for USA? They play one of the 3 other teams and loser is out?

Grabovski is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 09:05 PM
  #503
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Round robin between all 4 teams.

2 teams with the fewest points are relegated.

NeverGoingToWin is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 09:07 PM
  #504
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
Ok so what happens now for USA? They play one of the 3 other teams and loser is out?
The 4 teams (USA, Italy, France, Kazakhstan) all play one another. Afterward, the top 2 stay in the top division and the bottom 2 are relegated.

Here's their remaining schedule:

Date Opponent Time (EDT) / Result

May 15 Kazakhstan 10:15 a.m.
May 16 France 6:15 a.m.
May 18 Italy 6:15 a.m.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline  
Old
05-15-2010, 09:08 AM
  #505
Geric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
France is the only team that has shown a little bit of life, and they have several decent players playing in the Swiss and Swedish leagues. Plus, Da Costa is a good prospect.

But the Americans really shouldn't have any trouble with any of the teams. It wasn't expected to be that way, but in hindsight the Americans were in the most difficult group.

Denmark has clearly over-achieved, and Germany can be a better team than they have been over the last few years, so it isn't too disastrous that the Americans struggled. And Finland was always going to be troublesome.

But if the US can't deal with Italy, France, and Kazakhstan, then there really is a huge problem.

I think France has a good chance of avoiding relegation, the Italians and the Kazakhs are going to have to focus on good goal differentials against the Americans in case there is a three-way tie between the Italians, the French, and the Kazakhs.

Geric is offline  
Old
05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
  #506
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
So win and in the top division? or did we already clinch that

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
05-16-2010, 09:16 PM
  #507
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
So win and in the top division? or did we already clinch that
Already clinched. US will not be relegated.

GAGLine is online now  
Old
05-16-2010, 10:55 PM
  #508
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
France is the only team that has shown a little bit of life, and they have several decent players playing in the Swiss and Swedish leagues. Plus, Da Costa is a good prospect.

But the Americans really shouldn't have any trouble with any of the teams. It wasn't expected to be that way, but in hindsight the Americans were in the most difficult group.

Denmark has clearly over-achieved, and Germany can be a better team than they have been over the last few years, so it isn't too disastrous that the Americans struggled. And Finland was always going to be troublesome.

But if the US can't deal with Italy, France, and Kazakhstan, then there really is a huge problem.

I think France has a good chance of avoiding relegation, the Italians and the Kazakhs are going to have to focus on good goal differentials against the Americans in case there is a three-way tie between the Italians, the French, and the Kazakhs.
Actually, in a three way tie results against the Americans aren't considered. The tiebreak would be points followed by goal differential (and then goals scored) in games against the other two tied teams. It only matters if they are still tied after that (unlikely).

And technically, the US hasn't clinched yet. But in order for them to be relegated, France must win against Kazakhstan in regulation and Italy must beat the US by 8 goals. This would cause a three way tie between the US, Italy, and France, and the teams would be tied on points against the other two (3 points each), and this would leave the goal differential in games against the other 2 as Italy +7, France -3, and USA -4. However, if USA loses to Italy by 8 or more goals...they'd deserve to be relegated. That just should not happen.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
  #509
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 500
Aside from the overall disappointing result of the tournament, Kyle Okposo has to be the single most disappointing player. Two years in a row where underwhelming is being polite when describing his performance.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
  #510
Ilyeu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Dubinsky leads the tournament in scoring. I just thought I had to point that out. Come on guys, you have to think that's funny.

Ilyeu is offline  
Old
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
  #511
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
Dubinsky leads the tournament in scoring. I just thought I had to point that out. Come on guys, you have to think that's funny.
The relegation round was great for his scoring output.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
  #512
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Yea Kyle played great last year.. i remember he scored against Russia. Well atleast American fans know that there will be a next year!

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
05-18-2010, 01:54 PM
  #513
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Yea Kyle played great last year.. i remember he scored against Russia. Well atleast American fans know that there will be a next year!
He was better last year because he at least had some high points but he's too inconsistent, and not just in the scoring department. There were so many golden scoring chances he flubbed last year. It was like Colin Wilson at the WJC all over again.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
  #514
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
So dissapointed with this tournament. I've been a big believer in the depth of US hockey as evidenced by the comparitively large number of NHL players and draft picks we produce but results like this really make me question that belief. There are always questions of chemistry in an event like this but, to me, it simply can't be an excuse for such a bad showing. If the Finns, Swedes and Czechs can have the showings they're having with rosters that appear to be so weak on paper, why the hell can't we?

For our success at the junior level to mean anything we have to become a force at all adult level tournaments. If the Finns, with a talent pool the size of Minnesota, can have as many medals at the adult level as they do, there's NO reason we can't.

cagney is online now  
Old
05-18-2010, 08:31 PM
  #515
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,161
vCash: 500
I think the biggest problem for the USA and Canada was not knowing how to play on the bigger ice. It is such a different game on the bigger ice.

Alberta tough is online now  
Old
05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
  #516
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
I think the biggest problem for the USA and Canada was not knowing how to play on the bigger ice. It is such a different game on the bigger ice.
Most of the US players played on big ice in college. They should know the differences.

cagney is online now  
Old
05-19-2010, 07:11 AM
  #517
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Its sad to see this at the bottom of the forums. Hopefully, American players will see these results and feel obligated to play next year

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
05-19-2010, 08:16 AM
  #518
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Most of the US players played on big ice in college. They should know the differences.
I thought most of the colleges don't play on big ice, just a couple

Levitate is offline  
Old
05-19-2010, 08:58 AM
  #519
Rabid Ranger
Drifter
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Old School
Country: United States
Posts: 19,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
So dissapointed with this tournament. I've been a big believer in the depth of US hockey as evidenced by the comparitively large number of NHL players and draft picks we produce but results like this really make me question that belief. There are always questions of chemistry in an event like this but, to me, it simply can't be an excuse for such a bad showing. If the Finns, Swedes and Czechs can have the showings they're having with rosters that appear to be so weak on paper, why the hell can't we?

For our success at the junior level to mean anything we have to become a force at all adult level tournaments. If the Finns, with a talent pool the size of Minnesota, can have as many medals at the adult level as they do, there's NO reason we can't.
While I'm disappointed by the showing, I can't say it's all that surprising given the youth, inexperience, and lack of consistency on the roster. There's some good talent on this roster, but they're not prime-time players yet-and it showed. There's also a ton of parity in this tournament, as demonstrated by the struggles of several quality teams. Look at Canada, they're doing slighly better than the U.S., but also (more thank likely) won't leave with a medal.

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
  #520
PaulieVegas
Registered User
 
PaulieVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
I think the biggest problem for the USA and Canada was not knowing how to play on the bigger ice. It is such a different game on the bigger ice.
I just don't know how much I agree with that. The 2002 Olympics were on the big ice and USA-Canada made the finals. I actually think it's more of an issue of USA and Canada having trouble playing outside North America.

PaulieVegas is offline  
Old
05-19-2010, 10:39 AM
  #521
PaulieVegas
Registered User
 
PaulieVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
While I'm disappointed by the showing, I can't say it's all that surprising given the youth, inexperience, and lack of consistency on the roster. There's some good talent on this roster, but they're not prime-time players yet-and it showed. There's also a ton of parity in this tournament, as demonstrated by the struggles of several quality teams. Look at Canada, they're doing slighly better than the U.S., but also (more thank likely) won't leave with a medal.
Looking at the USA's roster, I'm not surprised they didn't medal, but I am shocked and disappointed they ended up in the relegation round. Even a team of 20 Taylor Chorney's and Jack Hillen's should be able to advance from a group containing Finland, Germany, and Denmark.

PaulieVegas is offline  
Old
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
  #522
Rabid Ranger
Drifter
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Old School
Country: United States
Posts: 19,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Looking at the USA's roster, I'm not surprised they didn't medal, but I am shocked and disappointed they ended up in the relegation round. Even a team of 20 Taylor Chorney's and Jack Hillen's should be able to advance from a group containing Finland, Germany, and Denmark.
Easier said than done. Germany's the home team feeding off a ton of energy, Denmark is one of the surprises of this tourney, and Finland is always tough-in any tournament. The U.S. lost all three games (two in OT) by one goal. Honestly, none of this should be a shock given the inexperience and inconsistency of the roster.

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
  #523
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I thought most of the colleges don't play on big ice, just a couple
Only a handful of colleges play on olympic ice that I can think of off the top of my head: UNH, CC, Minny.

Stories is offline  
Old
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
  #524
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,559
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Only a handful of colleges play on olympic ice that I can think of off the top of my head: UNH, CC, Minny.
The mindset looks more european when watching university hockey IMO. But then again I've only seen a couple more than a handful games in the early 00s..

mattihp is offline  
Old
05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
  #525
Sayuri
Registered User
 
Sayuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alberta, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
I think the American players tend to play very well when they are heavily motivated. Something like the Olympics and how badly they wanted to be able to beat Canada at home, it brought out the best in all their players and that was a damn good team.

Perhaps the WHC taking place in Germany just didn't provide the right type of motivation?

The US team doesn't experience the type of pressure from their home country that many other teams do, they know that most people back home don't follow the WHC and won't really care if they don't perform well. The same applies to other tournaments but in certain situations they experience pressure internally to be able to take something away from a rival.

Maybe the motivation just wasn't there for this particular tournament.

Sayuri is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.