HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok, the question has got to be asked (Leighton)...

View Poll Results: Do you keep Leighton as starter?
Yes 61 73.49%
No 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-18-2010, 09:41 PM

vCash: 500
Ok, the question has got to be asked (Leighton)...

....is Leighton a fair choice for the starting job next year? This isn't even really one run of form, he's had two spells surrounding a pretty lengthy injury. He's got a pretty sensational SV% with us, surely he could do a job next year??

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-20-2010 at 08:03 PM.
1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
StandingCow

Absolutely. He was great for us during the season, and so far post season... perfect.

For some reason I am not allowed to vote though.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1500
Jeff Reese has worked wonders with the goaltending and I think he will have a large say in the immediate future. Sometimes, goaltenders develop later in careers and we may be seeing that here. The salary cap, of course, will come into play and Holmgren will have to deal with that issue. Leighton may also get other offers. Right now, he is making Holmgren's decision(s) look brilliant.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

I'll let you know when the market lets itself play out.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Im a huge Leighton fan, but being honest Im gonna wait alittle more. IF and this is knock on wood, and all the other antijinxes, we do win the silver thing, I can see us and hope we resign him.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
MrBoxOffice

I was wondering if someone could possibly make me a photo that says "Must be this tall to score on Leighton" and has one of those amusement park signs...

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:06 PM
CptCannon

Honestly, I do think Leights+Boosh tandem could work really well.
They just kick each other in the butts and keep competing for the starter position.

If things go wrong, there's always the TDL madness.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Pronger is our goalie.

That's not just a nice quip, it is largely the truth.

A Leighton/Boosh tandem would be like Osgood in Detroit. Sure, he often made the stops he was expected to make but he largely rested on the shoulders of the best defender since Bobby Orr.

Imagine this team had Vokoun, for example... Huge difference.

Leighton and Boosh deserve respect for what they've done and one of them deserves to be our backup next year. But never forget that Pronger or Timonen are on the ice virtually every second of every game.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:14 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Nope although he's fully earned the backup job.

He's been redonk good, but I still want an Ellis/Turco type although I wouldn't necessarily guarantee those guys the No.1 job.

Sign someone, go to training camp, see how it shakes out.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:18 PM
xifentoozlerix

I voted yes simply because I am tired of people "waiting for the return to Earth". I hate that mentality. Then again, it is a subconscious psychological thing (anchoring) which makes people think that way. At this point, I think he has shown that he can get the job behind this team. The Flyers' cap structure is such that their goaltending is not going to be tasked with winning games so much as it will be tasked with not losing. He seems to be doing really well in that regard.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:40 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
I'd keep him because:

-He's proven he can make the initial save much better than Boucher and even better than Emery.

-We should have a good defense for him to play behind for years to come.

-We have an amazing coach who has good chemistry with Leights, and Laviolette will be someone who can motivate Mike if its needed.

-Ellis hasn't proven crap

-Turco is done

edit: We may finally have a gem here people, and some are willing to move on from him that quickly?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I still think we should go after a young goalie for the future, but Leighton has done everything he can to earn himself a job next year.

No one can argue his numbers and the results we get with him in nets. He somehow fits our system perfectly, and it is not like he is old.

But there is still too small of a sample size for him to be trusted as a starter. And I just don't want to be hoping half way through a season that Boucher can catch lighting in a bottle.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Slowbro

If we win it all.. immediate yes.
If we make it to the finals, maybe yes.
If we lose this round, probably no.

Fair?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:46 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Yes but bring in a young goalie that can back him up.

flyersfan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:46 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Ask me when our playoffs are over.....

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Price is on the market I heard. But yeah... if he's doing well play him.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WolfHound

Keep him however since this happens every year to the flyers bring in another goalkeeper just in case he sucks next season. I would love to see either Quick or LaBernier with the flyers next year.

WolfHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
airlouche

Yes and yes.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:52 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'd keep him because:

-He's proven he can make the initial save much better than Boucher and even better than Emery.

-We should have a good defense for him to play behind for years to come.

-We have an amazing coach who has good chemistry with Leights, and Laviolette will be someone who can motivate Mike if its needed.

-Ellis hasn't proven crap

-Turco is done

edit: We may finally have a gem here people, and some are willing to move on from him that quickly?
Leighton hadnt proved crap until he actually had a legitimate defense to play behind. Look at his numbers with the Canes earlier this season. Had an over 4 GAA. If you put Ellis in front of that D, he will do better than Leighton I think.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:53 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHound View Post
Keep him however since this happens every year to the flyers bring in another goalkeeper just in case he sucks next season. I would love to see either Quick or LaBernier with the flyers next year.
Who?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:53 PM
maudlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
If we win it all.. immediate yes.
If we make it to the finals, maybe yes.
If we lose this round, probably no.

Fair?

this

maudlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:54 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Leighton hadnt proved crap until he actually had a legitimate defense to play behind. Look at his numbers with the Canes earlier this season. Had an over 4 GAA. If you put Ellis in front of that D, he will do better than Leighton I think.
Is our defense really that different than one featuring Weber, Suter, and Hamhuis? Those are two #1 defensemen and a very solid #3. I'd still take our defense, but their defense is very good, and play even in a defensive system.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
WolfHound

Quote:
Who?
My bad its Bernier I messed it up. Here http://kings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473541

WolfHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:57 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Nashvilles D is fantastic.

edit: also, why keep signing guys to prove they can play behind our defense? Why not just stick with the one who's doing it now? And I'm not sure if he can be BETTER than Leighton (at this point). No ones been better than Leighton.

Look at the best goalies in the NHL. Luongo got lit up in the 2nd round, and got the boot. Vokoun didnt make it. Miller got beat by a lowsy offense in rd 1. Broduer got smoked in rd 1. Nabby's been solid, but always has his moments in the playoffs. Bryz was good...until game 7 of the first round.

Even the greats cant pull off what Leighton is doing. Why mess with it?

Last edited by sobrien: 05-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.
sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
thomaszwei

I don't understand why you'd want to get rid of him at this point, honestly. I think if anything, you try and offload Boucher and keep Leighton at all costs.

Like the rest of you, I can be a bit timid about Leights at times because he's unproven, and our history with goalies isn't exactly the best. So, like the rest of you, I've been holding my breath at and waiting for him to "collapse", so that I can fall back on the old stereotype that we'd be contenders...if only we had a goalie.

But that collapse doesn't seem to be happening. At all. At what point do the "unproven" arguments and - realistically - our own built-in pessimism concerning goaltending begin to lose their weight?

He was what, 16-5 in the regular season?

And he's riding this incredible shutout streak right now?

He outplayed Brodeur and Rask, and he's in the process of outplaying Halak, all three of whom were stellar at times in this years playoffs.

So I mean, at what point do you say, okay, our goalie is good enough. Only in Philadelphia could we make the Conference/Cup finals and still find a way to ***** about our goalie.

If the Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup, I'd say that's a huge accomplishment considering all that's happened this season. It's not a stretch to say that the team vastly overachieved.

I don't believe the Flyers need a Miller/Lundquist style goalie, because the defense has been solid and will be for quite awhile. They just need a goalie who can make positional saves, something Leighton has been able to do since we've got him. And he does make the occasional stellar save or two, but most of the time, he's so positionally sound that he doesn't need to flop around like a fish in there.

The Red Wings have proved that you don't need excellent goaltending to win the cup, just goaltending that won't cost you games.

And for all the talk about how franchise goalies steal games and that's what you supposedly need to win the cup, the only one left in the playoffs is Nabakov, who I would absolutely love to play in the cup finals because I believe he's more prone to collapse since he's played his usual 72 games. Miller, Lunogo, and the rest of the top tier goalies are all done. Leighton has absolutely earned the starting job for next season. We can at least use him for a season or two and wait to see how that Russian goalie develops.

The only question that remains is how he would play in a starting role, having to go out there for 60 games a season.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote