HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2010, 05:33 AM
  #51
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 37,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easter Epic View Post
Aren't we missing the greater point at hand......
How does a conference called the Big X have more than 10 teams?
Epic fail if you ask me.
And what's the deal with airline peanuts?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:01 PM
  #52
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 129,195
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
And what's the deal with airline peanuts?
The bag is terribly hard to open sometimes it seems.


Do people really think Notre Dame will join the Big Ten. You know there are people in there who are that egotistical and pompous and arrogant enough that they'll reject the whole notion. "We're Notre Dame! What to we need a gosh darn conference for?! We're supposed to be bigger than that! Touchdown Jesus!"

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Last edited by GKJ: 05-13-2010 at 09:06 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:11 AM
  #53
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,854
vCash: 500
To me, this seems the ultimate test of Notre Dame arrogance. It's a game of chicken, if the Big 10 really does initiate college football armageddon and usher in an era of 4-5 16-team super conferneces then I think ND could be wise and get in on the front end ... but, knowing them, they may want to call the Big 10s bluff and see what happens.

It's a gamble. Maybe they can hang onto independence and the BCS will continue to make special rules for them. Maybe they'll hold out and get a better deal from another conference. But also, maybe they'll miss their chance to align themsleves with the conference that fits them best (at least football wise). If no Big 10, then where? A siginifantly weakened Big East? The SEC is just arrogant enough to not want them. Don't see the appeal of the ACC to ND. Pac 10 doesn't make geographic sense. Maybe the Big 12 (or what's left after the Big 10, SEC and Pac 10 pick its bones) but again, what will be left there?

ND may ultimately ride their arrogance straight into irrelevance, evenmoreso than they have already.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
  #54
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 71,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
To me, this seems the ultimate test of Notre Dame arrogance. It's a game of chicken, if the Big 10 really does initiate college football armageddon and usher in an era of 4-5 16-team super conferneces then I think ND could be wise and get in on the front end ... but, knowing them, they may want to call the Big 10s bluff and see what happens.

It's a gamble. Maybe they can hang onto independence and the BCS will continue to make special rules for them. Maybe they'll hold out and get a better deal from another conference. But also, maybe they'll miss their chance to align themsleves with the conference that fits them best (at least football wise). If no Big 10, then where? A siginifantly weakened Big East? The SEC is just arrogant enough to not want them. Don't see the appeal of the ACC to ND. Pac 10 doesn't make geographic sense. Maybe the Big 12 (or what's left after the Big 10, SEC and Pac 10 pick its bones) but again, what will be left there?

ND may ultimately ride their arrogance straight into irrelevance, evenmoreso than they have already.

I think the Pac 10 if it were to go to the super conferences would go after the Mountain West and the WAC. Boise State and Fresno State seem logical, as well as maybe Utah and BYU. That makes sense to me. One thing is for sure, the landscape of college football is changing.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:12 AM
  #55
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNK View Post
I think the Pac 10 if it were to go to the super conferences would go after the Mountain West and the WAC. Boise State and Fresno State seem logical, as well as maybe Utah and BYU. That makes sense to me. One thing is for sure, the landscape of college football is changing.
And it honestly needs to. My two biggest complaints with college football:

1) Teams who play Div-II schools as "warmups" before/after their conference schedules begin. If they have top recruiting classes, it shouldn't happen plain and simple. I should never see Florida play Citadel or Texas play school of basketweaving. That is what I liked about USC (sadly) was Petey scheduled games against Virginia and they play Minnesota coming up here too. Those teams may not be the best, but at least they are in Div-I.

2) Teams who complain they don't get recognized by the BCS. Don't like it? Be talking with your AD about moving conferences and when you could actually do it. If you don't think the PAC10 would drool over the possibilities of having Fresno State and Boise State in their conference you are sorely mistaken. If the issue is the rest of the sports competiting with those bigger name schools, lobby to have an amendment drafted at the NCAA level that states specific sports can enter different conferences in order for the highest competition standards to be met.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 10:09 AM
  #56
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
And it honestly needs to. My two biggest complaints with college football:

1) Teams who play Div-II schools as "warmups" before/after their conference schedules begin. If they have top recruiting classes, it shouldn't happen plain and simple. I should never see Florida play Citadel or Texas play school of basketweaving. That is what I liked about USC (sadly) was Petey scheduled games against Virginia and they play Minnesota coming up here too. Those teams may not be the best, but at least they are in Div-I.

2) Teams who complain they don't get recognized by the BCS. Don't like it? Be talking with your AD about moving conferences and when you could actually do it. If you don't think the PAC10 would drool over the possibilities of having Fresno State and Boise State in their conference you are sorely mistaken. If the issue is the rest of the sports competiting with those bigger name schools, lobby to have an amendment drafted at the NCAA level that states specific sports can enter different conferences in order for the highest competition standards to be met.
Nobody plays DII teams. They play FCS teams.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
  #57
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Nobody plays DII teams. They play FCS teams.
alllllll the same. If you are playing a school that doesn't play in something that houses 50K, there is an issue

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:25 PM
  #58
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 37,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
And it honestly needs to. My two biggest complaints with college football:

1) Teams who play Div-II schools as "warmups" before/after their conference schedules begin. If they have top recruiting classes, it shouldn't happen plain and simple. I should never see Florida play Citadel or Texas play school of basketweaving. That is what I liked about USC (sadly) was Petey scheduled games against Virginia and they play Minnesota coming up here too. Those teams may not be the best, but at least they are in Div-I.
I'm ok with one patsy. The small schools can use the check. Two is really pushing it. Three is a joke.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
  #59
What the Faulk
Auggie
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 39,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
alllllll the same. If you are playing a school that doesn't play in something that houses 50K, there is an issue
Not the same. At all. Also there are a ton of FBS schools that play for under 50k crowds. What good is it to have a stadium that seats 50k if 50k never show?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:26 PM
  #60
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,603
vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tball_stadiums

Pretty big spread of football stadium sizes.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:34 PM
  #61
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
alllllll the same. If you are playing a school that doesn't play in something that houses 50K, there is an issue
These are some cupcakes here:

Boise State (33,500)
Cincy (35,000)
BC (44,500)
Utah (45,017)
TCU (46,000)
Oregon State (46,200)

Also, Miami of Coral Gables drew less than 50k per game last year.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 09:48 PM
  #62
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 66,666
vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
alllllll the same. If you are playing a school that doesn't play in something that houses 50K, there is an issue
Boise State's stadium holds roughly 2,000 more than Appalachian State's stadium.


Just sayin'.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 07:45 AM
  #63
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I'm ok with one patsy. The small schools can use the check. Two is really pushing it. Three is a joke.
I'd be okay with it for the Homecoming game, just like most High Schools do. But yes, playing 3 (like LSU does) is out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Boise State's stadium holds roughly 2,000 more than Appalachian State's stadium.
Just sayin'.
I guess I should retract my statement as I should also consider population density and alumni. I just wanna see harder OOC, but the only issue you hear is that coaches come back with "well then we wouldn't of seen App. State beat #2 Michigan" or "Oklahoma losing to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl" and all that jazz. I don't hate on having to play weaker teams....but it should still equate to the level of the school. No one can tell me they are happy and feel it is justified that Notre Dame plays independent and typically has two or three games a year that are solid contenders for any type of conference championship (USC, Michigan being two of them) year in and year out.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:41 AM
  #64
What the Faulk
Auggie
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 39,475
vCash: 500
As much of a defender of FCS football as I am, it's clearly not FBS football, though there have been some close calls recently by teams you've probably never heard of before. Of course I'd love to see meaningful OOC games, but they've got almost nothing to gain by playing another BCS school. Why risk the loss when you've already got the SOS to make a BCS bowl push? It's always going to be like this. Plus, the FCS schools need the money.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:41 AM
  #65
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.
 
spintheblackcircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 46,232
vCash: 500
Heard an interesting idea the other day:

Rather than have spring games or scrimmages, have the smaller schools come in to the bigger schools 2 times before the regular season for "pre-season" games. Smaller schools get to make some $$$, I mean let's face it, how many people go to Central Michigan's spring game? They can go to scrimmage Michigan in front of 50-80,000 at say $10 a head and take home $100,000 or more to practice. Open it up to non-season ticket holders first, let those who don't get a chance to see the Bucks or Irish for real....they can go do a scrimmage and see their team and the teams can sell game-day merchandise to those that normally don't get to go

__________________
Changes come. Keep your dignity. Take the high road. Take it like a man.
spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 07:42 PM
  #66
vwg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 20,151
vCash: 500
I agree about scheduling cupcakes. You should never see schools like Michigan play App State, Duke play Richmond, Virginia play William & Mary, Temple play Villanova, etc etc



vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 07:53 PM
  #67
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
That and they run a dirty program, only play cupcakes in non-conference play and have the smuggest fan base in the game. Yes, worse than Notre Dame fans!
Ohio State, UWis, and Mich State aren't exactly hard to get into either.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:09 PM
  #68
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,603
vCash: 500
I live pretty close to KC and get the NBC from metro KC on the Missouri side.

Yesterday they were talking to leaders from the "Tiger Club" which seems to just be a bunch of booster/alumni types. Every single one of them said that the prestige of going to the Big 10 was impossible to turn down.

The KU athletic director has gone on record as saying Kansas doesn't want an athletic relationship with any school that jumps ship on the Big 12, and that includes Missouri. He said he has no qualms about ending the longest football rivalry west of the Mississippi on principle.

I personally think that is likely ********. The game in Arrowhead each of the last few years has brought each school over $1,000,000. That is a lot to give up on principle.

Although one of the talking heads did make the point that Texas had absolutely no problem giving up its rivalry with Arkansas when the latter joined the SEC.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:39 PM
  #69
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I live pretty close to KC and get the NBC from metro KC on the Missouri side.

Yesterday they were talking to leaders from the "Tiger Club" which seems to just be a bunch of booster/alumni types. Every single one of them said that the prestige of going to the Big 10 was impossible to turn down.

The KU athletic director has gone on record as saying Kansas doesn't want an athletic relationship with any school that jumps ship on the Big 12, and that includes Missouri. He said he has no qualms about ending the longest football rivalry west of the Mississippi on principle.

I personally think that is likely ********. The game in Arrowhead each of the last few years has brought each school over $1,000,000. That is a lot to give up on principle.

Although one of the talking heads did make the point that Texas had absolutely no problem giving up its rivalry with Arkansas when the latter joined the SEC.

Kansas' loss in this case. Mizzou will more than make up what it loses from that game.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
  #70
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Kansas' loss in this case. Mizzou will more than make up what it loses from that game.
No doubt.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 07:05 PM
  #71
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 129,195
vCash: 50
Mizzou should just go play Kansas State and **** KU off

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
  #72
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Mizzou should just go play Kansas State and **** KU off
Arrowhead Stadium wouldn't make itself available for that. It's the whole "roots in the civil war" hatred that makes it a worthwhile rivalry.

I'll be at KU for another 2 years if I don't stay for my Masters. As long as we don't end up completely ****ed over after realignment, I don't care.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
  #73
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 37,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
Ohio State, UWis, and Mich State aren't exactly hard to get into either.
It's hard enough to convince someone to spend 4 years in Lincoln as it is.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
  #74
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
It's hard enough to convince someone to spend 4 years in Lincoln as it is.
This reminds me of the song Comin' Home by City&Colour.

It includes the lines:
"I've never been to Alaska, but I can tell you this,
I've been to Lincoln, Nebraska and hell you know it ain't worth ****"

Solid song too....


invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
  #75
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I live pretty close to KC and get the NBC from metro KC on the Missouri side.

Yesterday they were talking to leaders from the "Tiger Club" which seems to just be a bunch of booster/alumni types. Every single one of them said that the prestige of going to the Big 10 was impossible to turn down.

The KU athletic director has gone on record as saying Kansas doesn't want an athletic relationship with any school that jumps ship on the Big 12, and that includes Missouri. He said he has no qualms about ending the longest football rivalry west of the Mississippi on principle.

I personally think that is likely ********. The game in Arrowhead each of the last few years has brought each school over $1,000,000. That is a lot to give up on principle.

Although one of the talking heads did make the point that Texas had absolutely no problem giving up its rivalry with Arkansas when the latter joined the SEC.
Just a lot of flak IMO. Kansas has a horrible football program in comparison to Mizzu and with all the dealings that just happened with their former HC, it only got a lot worse. For that program's sake, they need that revenue because to think they'll be in a BCS game coming out of the Big 12 is going to be next to impossible.

Far as Texas goes, that is kind of a moot point. Arkansas is in the SEC where they are playing in one of the toughest conferences in football year in and year out, and Texas isn't exactly hurting either. Arkansas and Texas really didn't lose any money. As I just stated though, Kansas is not known as a football college, its a basketball college. They need $1,000,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Mizzou should just go play Kansas State and **** KU off
Seriously, I would be ALL for this just to **** them off.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.