Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OHL Prospects - Sunday Top 10 - Jumping Ship to the OHL? PART DEUX

Old
05-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Brock

vCash: 500
OHL Prospects - Sunday Top 10 - Jumping Ship to the OHL? PART DEUX

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...-ohl-part.html

A look at the top players potentially coming to the OHL next season.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Good post I am positive this guy isn't top 10 but maybe in the other notables. Chris Crane from Green Bay in the USHL 15g 14a 107 PIM in 52 games. Draft pick of Windsor a couple years back, commitment to Ohio St but said he's interested in possibly coming to Windsor. Seems he would fit in well with the forwards they're are losing and being a former teammate of Cam Fowler and Kenny Ryan shouldn't hurt Windsor one bit.

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Ottomatic

I've heard that Kuhnhackl is going to spend the summer in Windsor working out with the team and getting adjusted to the move so he can hit the ground running to start the season.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
EvenSteven

Brock,

I notice you've mentioned a couple 1990 birthdates in the your article: Saponari(8th) and Trivino(HM). As I've asked in my post a week or so below "Another NCAA/OHL question", aren't NCAA players not allowed to play OA seasons in the CHL?

The rule was called the "Mike Van Ryn rule". Van Ryn left the NCAA to play in Sarnia. IIRC, It was believed that he did so to become an NHL free agent or something to that effect. I believe the rule was put in place to keep this from happening in the future.

I don't remember a player leaving the NCAA to play an OA season in the OHL since Van Ryn. (that doesn't mean it hasn't happened)

Can you let us know the particulars of the rule and whether or not it is still in place?

Thanks.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Brock,

I notice you've mentioned a couple 1990 birthdates in the your article: Saponari(8th) and Trivino(HM). As I've asked in my post a week or so below "Another NCAA/OHL question", aren't NCAA players not allowed to play OA seasons in the CHL?

The rule was called the "Mike Van Ryn rule". Van Ryn left the NCAA to play in Sarnia. IIRC, It was believed that he did so to become an NHL free agent or something to that effect. I believe the rule was put in place to keep this from happening in the future.

I don't remember a player leaving the NCAA to play an OA season in the OHL since Van Ryn. (that doesn't mean it hasn't happened)

Can you let us know the particulars of the rule and whether or not it is still in place?

Thanks.
ES, that's a great point. I totally forgot about the Mike Van Ryn situation and the uproar it caused.

Quite frankly, I have no idea as to the answer to that since we haven't had to face a situation similar to that.

Here's an article about the situation back then
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/...ohl010312.html

I know the new CBA has closed that loophole for good, so it's not like Saponari or Trivino could become UFA's by playing a year in the OHL.

The question remains does this old league rule still exist, even though the loophole is closed? Traditionally, these two players would have to be signed as 2008 draft picks by June 1st...if they were CHL players. But they aren't. Would their NHL teams have to sign them first...AND then assign them to the CHL?

I'm going to send an email to David Branch and Ted Baker to see if I can get an answer on this.

Brock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:46 PM
EvenSteven

Thanks Brock! Looking forward to the answer!

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:00 PM
leafmon

Another good read Brock.
I'm watching the Lucas Lessio situation with the Gens very closely and think it is a huge test to see how the new ownership plans to manage. Last year the Gens used 2 second rounders to secure Lucas Lessio and Biggs and I sure hope they are serious about getting one or both to report. With a new rink and good fan support despite a pretty bad ten years I hope the new owners get aggressive .
The OHL isn't really a level playing field and the Gens owners know that. Time will tell but this is a test.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Thanks Brock! Looking forward to the answer!
OK guys, OHL VP Ted Baker got back to me.

His response...

"Unless the player was on a Hockey Canada or USA Hockey card last season, he is ineligible to play in the OHL."

So no Saponari or Trivino folks.

Brock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
OK guys, OHL VP Ted Baker got back to me.

His response...

"Unless the player was on a Hockey Canada or USA Hockey card last season, he is ineligible to play in the OHL."

So no Saponari or Trivino folks.
Thanks for taking the time to get the answer Brock!

Great job as usual on your article!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:03 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
Another good read Brock.
I'm watching the Lucas Lessio situation with the Gens very closely and think it is a huge test to see how the new ownership plans to manage. Last year the Gens used 2 second rounders to secure Lucas Lessio and Biggs and I sure hope they are serious about getting one or both to report. With a new rink and good fan support despite a pretty bad ten years I hope the new owners get aggressive .
The OHL isn't really a level playing field and the Gens owners know that. Time will tell but this is a test.
Sort of an interesting thing I saw yesterday on the USHL site was that Lessio was taken in the 1st round of their draft by Waterloo. May be a sign that he could be headed to the USHL?? Just food for thought, and grasping at straws. Thought you may be interested.
http://www.ushldraft.com/

Brock, good read once again. Hoping the Rangers can get Mayfield to report.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote