HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens Fan Here in Peace

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2010, 10:33 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
I don't believe it. Let me test the waters....

...Crosby sucks.
That won't do, they're immune to Crosby sucks comments. You need something more like this:

...Crosby is overrated...

Old
05-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit82 View Post
I am a Pens fan

I have always been a big Gagne fan, own a jersey from his rookie year, and Lindros is my favorite player of all-time haha.
See these two things. This is something you are never ever going to find in a flyers fan. We are in this team with everything we got. There isn't a chance in hell that one of our fans wears a pens item of clothing, much less support a rival teams player.

This is the biggest difference between the two fanbases. The flyers are die hards, you have to be to put up with all of the ****, and in my personal opinion it's the only way to be a real fan of a team, ANY TEAM.

You cannot support a rival teams players no matter what! you can respect them, but thats as far as it goes. This is not meant to be a personal insult towards you, but alot of your fanbase is like this. I just think it's false.

Old
05-19-2010, 11:21 AM
jme42257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
See these two things. This is something you are never ever going to find in a flyers fan. We are in this team with everything we got. There isn't a chance in hell that one of our fans wears a pens item of clothing, much less support a rival teams player.

This is the biggest difference between the two fanbases. The flyers are die hards, you have to be to put up with all of the ****, and in my personal opinion it's the only way to be a real fan of a team, ANY TEAM.

You cannot support a rival teams players no matter what! you can respect them, but thats as far as it goes. This is not meant to be a personal insult towards you, but alot of your fanbase is like this. I just think it's false.
agreeed. If I had a penguins shirt of anyone, and my Dad or friends found out... there would be hell to pay. I would be considered a joke, a fake fan, someone that just doesn't get it, and it would be a non-stop barrage of insults, and rightfully so.

I learned this at a very young age, when I asked my dad to buy me a Boston Celtics Paul Pierce basketball Jersey, because I liked him and thought the jersey looked cool. Pops must have yelled at me for an hour, explaining that no son of his will ever wear a rival's jersey, t-shirt, hat or whatever. The Celtics were a team to be hated, and that was that.

Old
05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That won't do, they're immune to Crosby sucks comments. You need something more like this:

...Crosby is overrated...
...Ovechkin > Crosby!!

...Malkin needs to be traded!!

.....Fleury is average!!

.......Staal for Souray straight up!!

*ducks*

Old
05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
What is with the HFBoards trend of asskissing your rival teams' fans once your team gets eliminated? The last thing I'd be doing if the Flyers lost is going to the Pens' board and rooting for them to win.

No matter how much you try to hop on our bandwagon, we still hate you and your teams. Stop acting surprised. It doesn't make us classless. This is how things are, get used to it.

We don't like the Penguins, even if you like us.

Seems like there's a lot of Pens fans like this, with the whole "coming in peace" thing. The whole thing reeks of insincerity. Like I need a Pens fan to tell me why the Flyers are so great. Yeah. I am proud of this team, but not because you told me to be. I was proud of this team even while you guys had your nice little run of success and kicked dirt all over us. I don't care if the Penguins win the next 100 Stanley Cups, I'll always hate them and be proud to cheer for the Flyers.

I think a lot of people come here and kiss our ass because they want to hear us say nice things about their team. "Oh, well the Penguins are great too, I'm sure they'll be back next year." Almost like they need to be validated by their biggest rivals' fans. Sorry, not going to happen. The Penguins still suck, and I hope you guys are having fun golfing while we take care of what you couldn't.

Last edited by Cartered: 05-19-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old
05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronger is a robot View Post
What is with the HFBoards trend of asskissing your rival teams' fans once your team gets eliminated? The last thing I'd be doing if the Flyers lost is going to the Pens' board and rooting for them to win.

No matter how much you try to hop on our bandwagon, we still hate you and your teams. Stop acting surprised. It doesn't make us classless. This is how things are, get used to it.

Seems like there's a lot of Pens fans like this, with the whole "coming in peace" thing. The whole thing reeks of insincerity. Like I need a Pens fan to tell me why the Flyers are so great. Yeah.

I think a lot of people come here and kiss our ass because they want to hear us say nice things about their team. "Oh, well the Penguins are great too, I'm sure they'll be back next year." Almost like they need to be validated by their biggest rivals' fans. Sorry, not going to happen. The Penguins still suck, and I hope you guys are having fun golfing while we take care of what you couldn't.
I hate the whole "Come in peace" in every away team's thread title, like we're going to go nuts and bite out their jugular vein for posting on the Flyers board. Get to the ****ing point.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1000
Keep it within Site Rules if you visit and decide to post in this Forum.

If you don't know the rules, read them before posting.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
macros73

Quote:

Seems like there's a lot of Pens fans like this, with the whole "coming in peace" thing. The whole thing reeks of insincerity. Like I need a Pens fan to tell me why the Flyers are so great. Yeah. I am proud of this team, but not because you told me to be. I was proud of this team even while you guys had your nice little run of success and kicked dirt all over us. I don't care if the Penguins win the next 100 Stanley Cups, I'll always hate them and be proud to cheer for the Flyers.

Can't speak for all Pens fans, but you're wrong. We enjoy Montreal's tears more than Philadelphia's. The Flyers are making Montreal suffer. Therefore, temporarily, we are enjoying what the Flyers are doing.

If the Flyers get past Montreal to the Finals and play Chicago, Pens fans will have another dilemma. Who do we hate more, the Flyers or Hossa? For me, Hossa's tears have more value than the Flyers tears, so...go Flyers.

Again, not that I'm bitter or anything. Really.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Cartered

Quote:
Originally Posted by macros73 View Post
Can't speak for all Pens fans, but you're wrong. We enjoy Montreal's tears more than Philadelphia's. The Flyers are making Montreal suffer. Therefore, temporarily, we are enjoying what the Flyers are doing.

If the Flyers get past Montreal to the Finals and play Chicago, Pens fans will have another dilemma. Who do we hate more, the Flyers or Hossa? For me, Hossa's tears have more value than the Flyers tears, so...go Flyers.

Again, not that I'm bitter or anything. Really.
See, this perplexes me. Why would any fan ever want to see their rival team win a Cup? When the Penguins won the Cup last year, I felt sick. I felt like I didn't want to watch hockey anymore for about a week. I felt worse than I did when the Flyers got eliminated. How can you be a true Penguins fan, yet if the Flyers won the Cup you'd be not only okay with it but actually rooting for us? Either you guys are being phony, trying to live vicariously through our success, or you simply aren't as invested in this rivalry as we are. Hell, Detroit swept us in 1997, and I cheered almost as loudly as I did for the Flyers every time they scored a goal on the Penguins.

Maybe it's easy for you guys to wish us well, but the feeling isn't reciprocated by me and by a lot of other Flyers fans. I hate the Penguins, and I will never wish that their team has success, ever. The only time I ever supported the Penguins was when they almost moved to Kansas City, and that was just because I thought hockey would be less interesting if I didn't have them around to hate.

Also, as a general statement when people want to make these kinds of threads: don't call Flyers fans classless if they respond in a less than kind fashion. Most of these posts have condescending undertones anyway ("We still hate you guys/think you suck/think Philthy is a trash heap, but GO FLYERS!"), whether you or not. I'd prefer if you would save your peace and keep it to yourself and your own board. That's just my two cents and it's the last post I'll make on the matter.

Last edited by Cartered: 05-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old
05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
See, this perplexes me. Why would any fan ever want to see their rival team win a Cup? When the Penguins won the Cup last year, I felt sick. I felt like I didn't want to watch hockey anymore for about a week. How can you be a true Penguins fan, yet if the Flyers won the Cup you'd be not only okay with it but actually rooting for us? Either you guys are being phony, trying to live vicariously through our success, or you simply aren't as invested in this rivalry as we are. Hell, Detroit swept us in 1997, and I cheered almost as loudly as I did for the Flyers every time they scored a goal on the Penguins.

Also, as a general statement when people want to make these kinds of threads: don't call Flyers fans classless if they respond in a less than kind fashion. Most of these posts have condescending undertones anyway ("We still hate you guys/think you suck/think Philthy is a trash heap, but GO FLYERS!"), whether you or not. I'd prefer if you would save your peace and keep it to yourself and your own board. That's just my two cents and it's the last post I'll make on the matter.
Nail on the head. That's why I don't mind macros' post. No undertones, straight to the point, and explains his opinion.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:11 PM
macros73

Quote:
See, this perplexes me. Why would any fan ever want to see their rival team win a Cup? When the Penguins won the Cup last year, I felt sick. I felt like I didn't want to watch hockey anymore for about a week. I felt worse than I did when the Flyers got eliminated. How can you be a true Penguins fan, yet if the Flyers won the Cup you'd be not only okay with it but actually rooting for us? Either you guys are being phony, trying to live vicariously through our success, or you simply aren't as invested in this rivalry as we are. Hell, Detroit swept us in 1997, and I cheered almost as loudly as I did for the Flyers every time they scored a goal on the Penguins.

Maybe it's easy for you guys to wish us well, but the feeling isn't reciprocated by me and by a lot of other Flyers fans. I hate the Penguins, and I will never wish that their team has success, ever. The only time I ever supported the Penguins was when they almost moved to Kansas City, and that was just because I thought hockey would be less interesting if I didn't have them around to hate.

I think I explained my reasons pretty clearly. It's not so much that I want to see the Flyers win a Cup. The Flyers simply rank lower on The List. Please continue mauling Montreal, thank you.

Pens Fan Hierarchy of Hate, May 2010:
  1. Montreal Canadiens
  2. Montreal fans
  3. Montreal hockey media
  4. Washington Capitals
  5. Marian Hossa
  6. Philadelphia Flyers

Old
05-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
I think I explained my reasons pretty clearly. It's not so much that I want to see the Flyers win a Cup. The Flyers simply rank lower on The List. Please continue mauling Montreal, thank you.

1. Montreal Canadiens
  2. Montreal fans
  3. Montreal hockey media
  4. Washington Capitals
  5. Marian Hossa
  6. Philadelphia Flyers

Old
05-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Cartered

Quote:

1. Montreal Canadiens
  2. Montreal fans
  3. Montreal hockey media
  4. Washington Capitals
  5. Marian Hossa
  6. Philadelphia Flyers
I guess I don't understand how we're not number 1 on that list.

My heirarchy of hate:
1) Pittsburgh
2) Atlantic Division
3) Whoever we're playing

Old
05-19-2010, 02:26 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

this is almost as funny as leaf fans bandwagoning the habs last round can you be so bitter to a loss you want your rivals to succeed?

appreciate *most of philly fanbase, for the reason that yall aint as cocky as pens fans and also the fact most of you are treating this thread with alot of precaution

as for the ECF, hopefully MTL can make this a series

Old
05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
You Me and Dupuis

Quote:

My heirarchy of hate:
1) Pittsburgh
2) Atlantic Division
3) Whoever we're playing
The Canadiens haven't won a game in this series yet. They haven't even scored a goal. If and when they win a game, you will begin to understand the hatred towards their fanbase.

I'm sure the Flyers will rise up the list when next season starts.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:40 PM
macros73

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
this is almost as funny as leaf fans bandwagoning the habs last round can you be so bitter to a loss you want your rivals to succeed?

appreciate *most of philly fanbase, for the reason that yall aint as cocky as pens fans and also the fact most of you are treating this thread with alot of precaution

as for the ECF, hopefully MTL can make this a series
Bitter?

I considered cheering Montreal in the ECF. If Montreal made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and /then/ lost, their fans would riot and burn down the city. Massive tears! It'd be even worse for Montreal than losing in the ECF. However, the likely Western Conference finalist is Chicago. If Montreal lost to Chicago...Hossa would get a ring. That cannot be allowed to happen, either.

The Flyers have to make it to the SCF and beat Chicago. Unless the Sharks come back and beat Chicago, I don't think we hate the Sharks this year. Heatley used to be a Senator, and we don't like the Senators, but we more feel sorry for them than anything else.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Me either... this has to be a trap...

That being said, we're just better people.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:16 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Uh... what? Clearly I said as much.

For what it's worth, I was born in Pittsburgh but grew up in Harrisburg (12 years in Mechanicsburg, 14 down here in Charleston, SC) and my first NHL game was at the Spectrum so deep, deep, deep down inside of a dark place I have a tiny soft spot for the Flyers. And black and orange have always been my favorite colors. They are far from my most hated team.

Despite the Pens/Flyers rivalry, you truly have to have nothing but respect for any team that did what you guys pulled off. Especially since I said to a friend of mine who is a Flyers fan after Game 3 that I'd never seen a Flyers team just so... uninspired or soft. To totally re-make their outlook in one game shows just how important Gagne is to the team. Would love to see him as a Pen (I know several of you just threw up). Not only coming back from 3-0 down in the series, but 3-0 down in the game is stellar. Be proud, for sure.

If you guys lose this round or in the Finals, while it will sting look back at the miracle you pulled off last round and take immense pride and joy in that.

And when in doubt remember that "Gagne" is french for "win". Extremely appropriate.

Well done once again guys. And if I may, as a total shameless plug for a friend of mine... listen to Radio 104.5. A DJ I worked with here in Charleston, Wendy Rollins, is on in the afternoons. She kicks ass and though she can't name a Flyer, hockey is her favorite sport and right now she's beyond excited for what the Flyers have done. Give the station and Wendy some love. She's great people.

Good luck heading forward. And since that ****** showed his head, kick the tar out of the Habs.
Holy ****ing weird dude.. I was born in Harrisburg and I now live in Charleston SC!

Old
05-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Cartered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
That being said, we're just better people.
I wish I was a good enough person that I could go to the board of a team I hate and tell them how proud they should be of themselves.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:

My heirarchy of hate:
1) Pittsburgh
2) Atlantic Division
3) Whoever we're playing
It's hard to hate someone you've knocked out of the Playoffs two years in a row heading into this year.

I'm pretty much with the above list. Hate list for me:

1.) Habs
2.) Hossa
3.) Flyers
4.) Heatley
6.) Sharks

I don't want the Flyers to win the Cup, but what they did was unbelievable and deserved some props. I'm a Penguins fan foremost but I'm also a sports/hockey fan. I can appreciate the game and what it brings.

Truth be told I started working at a sports talk station about a year ago and since then the whole "fan" part of me has slowly faded. Never cared for the Pirates (after Sid Bream), the Ben stuff has turned me off of the Steelers, and the Pens are the only team I really pull for but I've started to just sit back, absorb, and enjoy games more now. Hate and such is kind of gone.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS View Post
Holy ****ing weird dude.. I was born in Harrisburg and I now live in Charleston SC!

Old
05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
FilthyPhlyer

My first post so....I come in Peace?

Anyways, I hate the Penguins as much as the next Flyers fan, but just because they're number one on our list doesn't mean they feel the same. I think a lot of older Flyer's fans would probably say that they hate the Devil's more then the Penguins because of the Devil's success years ago and continued success. Anyways, things change. I used to have a strong hate for the Leafs years ago, especially when they had Domi and Tucker, but I have since filtered that hate into other teams. But when we win this cup, I don't care who supports us, only the Flyers organization and their fans who've been there from the start get a stake in it. The rest of you can just sit back and watch.

Oh yeah, ******* the Penguins.

Old
05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Me and Dupuis View Post
The Canadiens haven't won a game in this series yet. They haven't even scored a goal. If and when they win a game, you will begin to understand the hatred towards their fanbase.
I'm sure the Flyers will rise up the list when next season starts.
Yeah..not like the Flyers have never played the Habs in a playoff series.

'08 wasn't that long ago was it? But then again...I guess they only won Game 1 that series, and the rest was all Flyers so we didn't have to hear it. Pens just couldn't shut them up with handing them losses.

Old
05-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

In my case, it's not that I don't take the rivalry seriously, or that I'm jumping a bandwagon (because hey, I don't really have any particular like for any of the 4 remaining teams), I just don't have it in me to wish personal ill or have an impulse towards violence toward someone else just because they root for a team that hates mine (and I'm not saying that all other fanbases do, just that I as a single person do not).

I don't think that makes me less of a fan of the team I support, I'd just rather not have to partake in a blood feud with rival fans.

That said, it is nice that someone is beating the Habs, I just wish it could have happened in an earlier round.

Old
05-19-2010, 06:00 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Hell, Detroit swept us in 1997, and I cheered almost as loudly as I did for the Flyers every time they scored a goal on the Penguins.
How is that not every bit as disingenuous as them coming to root for us now?

I HATED Detroit forever after that. I cheered for Giguere and the Ducks back in 2003 when he stonewalled them in the first round. I wanted to see Detroit fail for what they did to us.

When they came up against the Pens in the Cup finals both years, I felt so conflicted about rooting for them, but I did. I wanted Detroit to damage the team that had knocked us out.

I don't see how cheering for us over the Habs is much different, other than that our rivalry is more fresh than the Philly/Detroit inferiority complex that the '97 swept gave me...I dunno, I just think it's a little weird to fly off the handle about the idea of Pens fans rooting for us, but then also go root for the Wings against them.

Closed Thread