HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Hockey Canada defends Crosby; IIHF deletes controversial article

Old
05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Sky04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
I guess you don't love hockey that much.

And Im guessing you're obsessed hockey freak?

Hockey players do NOT have to play hockey 12 months a year, believe it or not there are things MORE important then hockey, such as family, but according to your logic,

if you choose time with your family over a 3 week meaningless tournament you don't love hockey? NHL players could grab a bunch of their friends, go to a backyard pond and it'd be more exciting then the WC.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Villert

vCash: 2340
IIHF articles are generally terrible, this one is no different.

The funniest was that 'Goalies should stand up more' one, found that pretty hilarious

Villert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
No, didn't you know the entire world only reads TSN articles?
Where did I mention anything about TSN?

Quote:
Why did Malkin accept and Crosby decline?
Because Malkin didn't win Gold in the Olympics. Russia epic failed.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Arular

# I am tired.
# I am not motivated, and I am thus of no use to the team.
# I am injured (…but had my team advanced to the next round of the playoffs I would have played)
# I don’t want to leave my family. Three weeks is an awfully long time away from home.
# I have no contract for next season. If I am injured, my career is in jeopardy.

Uhh, what? Those are all legitimate reasons. Consider the Olympics, the regular season, and the playoffs...that's a lot of hockey. The players owe it to themselves to take a break in the offseason. It's also essential to get a break like that so later in the offseason they can properly train and be prepared for next year.

Playing for your country is nice and it's an honor, but their main priority should be their employers, their NHL team.

And 3 weeks away from your family is a long time, especially if you spend the majority of your time away from them already.

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post

Because Malkin didn't win Gold in the Olympics. Russia epic failed.
Oh, you mean how Russians like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk won gold in the Worlds yet they still show up? Why do Crosby even bother playing for the Stanley Cup now? He's already won it. Also, I hope he doesn't accept his calling for the next Olympics, he's already won it!

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
And I wonder what they'll say if Canada wins the tournament without its superstar players.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NeverGoingToWin

What do you want people to say?

The truth is most countries players do not care about the World Championships. Deal with it.

Do people think that players will magically care about the World Championships if people whine about it enough?

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drij

Quote:
Oh, you mean how Russians like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk won gold in the Worlds yet they still show up? Why do Crosby even bother playing for the Stanley Cup now? He's already won it. Also, I hope he doesn't accept his calling for the next Olympics, he's already won it!
Not winning anything in the Olympics is the reason Russians want to win Gold at the Worlds. What part don't you understand?

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
What do you want people to say?

The truth is most countries players do not care about the World Championships. Deal with it.
Yes, and that's why it's a good article. People are not "tired" or "injured" - they don't care about the tournament, representing their country in it or their fans wanting to see them play. The behaviour and excuses are that of a spoiled little kid. It's embarassing really.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Great response, I bet you haven't even read it. I posted this question above but I want to ask you too, why do you think Malkin accepted his calling but Crosby did not? Haven't they played the same amount of games?
1) Historically, Europeans have taken this tournament far more seriously than North Americans.

2) The Russians especially have something to prove after the embarassment at Vancouver this year.

If the IIHF wants more stars committing to the tournament, they need to overhaul it completely. Have it every four years in between Olympics or something to give it a little prestige. Until they change it it will always be seen as the "B" tournament or the loser's tournament and that's not exactly enticing to prospective players.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Not winning anything in the Olympics is the reason Russians want to win Gold at the Worlds. What part don't you understand?
Okay, so that's the reason? Then why did Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin etc etc even bother to show up for Russia the previous years? 07/08, 08/09 for example? They didn't win the Olympics back then either

Old
05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
NeverGoingToWin

It is not embarassing at all but I am not going to change your mind and you are not going to change mine.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
So these guys want Nicklas Backstrom to play in a meaningless tournament and risk re-injuring his injured shoulder? Backstrom is paid to play for the Washington Capitals, not the Swedish National team. He already represented them once this year.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
And I wonder what they'll say if Canada wins the tournament without its superstar players.
dream on!

Chicagofan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Okay, so that's the reason? Then why did Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin etc etc even bother to show up for Russia the previous years? 07/08, 08/09 for example? They didn't win the Olympics back then either
Canadian players showed up in those years too.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
Decent post. You forget one thing though. We, 'the fans' is what make Crosby what he is and is the reason that 'made him rich'. The hockeyfans comes to games, watch Crosby play, watch TV. Whitout you and me, Crosby would be a poor spoiled brat, now he is a rich spoiled brat and therefore he should participate in all games he can and not play golf.
He doesn't owe his whole life to hockey fans all over the planet.

He plays 8 months out of the year and spends even more time preparing to give fans all over the world the best he has.

Would Crosby not be a spoiled brat if he ignored visiting kids in hospitals, camps, etc. and be true to his old friends and family just becasue he is famous?

Malkin and Datsuyk in all their glory, but why aren't they back in Russia working with kids and struggeling families. God knows there are plenty of people in Russia who could use their direct involvement. Why don't they care?

There are more important things in life than hockey, but the big hockey stars can help people strugglling with obstacles of life by giving them a little joy, hope, and light up their spirits if just for a moment. Don't you think?

The logic goes both ways as I see it.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Villert

vCash: 2340
Quote:
Yes, and that's why it's a good article. People are not "tired" or "injured" - they don't care about the tournament, representing their country in it or their fans wanting to see them play. The behaviour and excuses are that of a spoiled little kid. It's embarassing really.
It's the IIHF's own fault, the timing for this tournament is lousy...

When superstars from every country (save Russia) don't show up, clearly the IIHF is doing something wrong too, not just the players.

Villert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
So these guys want Nicklas Backstrom to play in a meaningless tournament and risk re-injuring his injured shoulder? Backstrom is paid to play for the Washington Capitals, not the Swedish National team. He already represented them once this year.

Meaningless for you maybe, but us European fans that can't stay up to 06 in the morning to watch our favorite players play really would like our superstars to play for us. But hey, I guess we have to wait until every 4th year so we can see them play 10 games.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Ribban

Quote:

It makes perfect sense.
The caps is a job.
The NT is recreation.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by howley View Post
TIRED is a pretty good excuse in my opinion. Do we want a player there that can play at 100% or close to it or do we want a player there who is tired and banged up and not 100%?

You keep mentioning "love hockey." How much hockey do you play a year? How much do you travel with it? How much are you away from home? How beat up do you get through a season? How many days off do you get? What kind of mental strain do you go through when playing? You have no idea what these guys go through in an 82 game schedule. It's not a life for everyone. They may "love" hockey but when it comes to the end. It's nice to have a break. Just as it is with anything, too much of a good thing is still too much.

I was an athlete in a different sport and people have no idea what it takes to get through a season. Constantly on the road, constantly talking, thinking, eating, breathing, learning the sport from the minute you wake up to the minute you fall asleep. Constantly battling some nagging injury, being sore, being sick, icing yourself, etc. Living with the same group of guys for 8 months (or more) can start to drive you crazy when the only space you have is a small hotel room with a few other guys. Never eating home cooked meals, seeing your kids grow up over skype, listening to your wife cry on the phone because she had a bad day and your not around to help, having family members pass away and your not able to be around. There is so much more but no one can say to these guys don't have the right to say "NO" to going and playing in some b class tournament at the end of a long season, that may or may not have included playoffs and olympics and a long playoff run last season.

You say they live for, train for and love their sport. Your wrong. They train for their sport but in the end there are a lot more important things in life than tying up the laces and going for a skate. Jose Theodore could probably give a little more insight into that.

Maybe we should be looking at the guys that did accept the invitation and how it could be perceived that after a long season they are neglecting their families.....(I don't actually think this at all, just the other side of the coin)
I wish I could be a hockey player, playing as much hockey as they do, or just being as good and enjoying the game at a high level. I can not be a hockey player however, or much of an athlete for that matter.
There's always people who take their position and role in life for granted. Hockey players aren't excluded.

This all boils down to unfortunately many players not caring enough to play at the worlds.
If they cared, they would go. And thats a shame when your countries international teams comes calling and is told no by so many players.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Meaningless for you maybe, but us European fans that can't stay up to 06 in the morning to watch our favorite players play really would like our superstars to play for us. But hey, I guess we have to wait until every 4th year so we can see them play 10 games.
It's meaningless for Backstrom...His job is to play hockey for the Washington Capitals.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Why did Malkin accept and Crosby decline?
Because Malkin wants to play more and Crosby doesn't?

The WC isn't even important, players get so much flack as if they just turned down an Olympic invitation.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
Canadian players showed up in those years too.
Listen, this is not a grudge against Canada. This is mostly against my own country, Sweden. You should see our list of players declining. The thread is about Crosby and that's why I used him and Malkin as examples.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
It's a good article. The response is very silly though, they didnt just single out Crosby they mentioned a whole bunch of hockeyplayers but obviously you have to defend the only canadian being mentioned while for instance 8 or 9 swedes were mentioned.

I think the article has many good points and if you are stairing yourself blind on NHL you would see that aswell.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
It's meaningless for Backstrom...His job is to play hockey for the Washington Capitals.
He wouldn't have a ****ing job if it wasn't for the fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Because Malkin wants to play more and Crosby doesn't?

The WC isn't even important, players get so much flack as if they just turned down an Olympic invitation.
Yes, exactly. Crosby doesn't want to play, but then he should come out and say so, as should everyone else who declines. Stop making up excuses saying that you're "tired"