HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Start of a New Era for Sixers

View Poll Results: What Should The Sixers Do With #2 Overall
Draft John Wall (If Available) 11 37.93%
Draft Evan Turner (If Available) 24 82.76%
Draft Player Not Mentioned 0 0%
Trade Pick 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
litflyersfan

vCash: 500
Start of a New Era for Sixers

I haven't seen it posted yet but the Sixers won big time in the annual NBA draft lottery jumping up to number 2 overall. This is huge because this years NBA draft is a lot like the NHL draft there is a HUGE drop off between 1,2 and the rest of the draft.

With the second pick in the 2010 NBA Draft the Philadelphia 76ers select......

John Wall, PG, Kentucky or
Evan Turner, SG, Ohio State

I prefer Wall but with either pick the 76ers and significantly better with a player that has the possibility to be a superstar in a short amount of time. I'd be pissed if the 76ers trade out of this spot.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Slowbro

There is no way they trade that pick. It is a godsend and with the right decision at the head coaching job, this franchise is already on the fast track back being relevant.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
There is no way they trade that pick. It is a godsend and with the right decision at the head coaching job, this franchise is already on the fast track back being relevant.
Looks like the team is set to take Turner

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#axzz0oOt5tmie

Nice!!

Old
05-19-2010, 01:25 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Wall has to go No.1 although I love the Wizards playing Arenas 18 mill per year to play the same position, maybe they'll force him to play SG.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Being honest, Im not even close to being a 76ers fan.

But all I know is, having Turner and Holiday at guards with Iguodala, I might be watching a few more parts of a 76ers game. Holiday was fun to watch. Having Turner with him will be the sickest thing ever.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Draft Turner/Wall, depending on who the Wizards draft.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:30 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

But all I know is, having Turner and Holiday at guards with Iguodala, I might be watching a few more parts of a 76ers game. Holiday was fun to watch. Having Turner with him will be the sickest thing ever.
I'm not really either but this is kind of exciting.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'm not either, only really follow hockey, but I always take minor interest when things like this happen. I may not actively root for the other Philly teams, but I always like to see them do well.

Be nice to see them turn it around.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:50 PM
McNasty

It doesn't matter who they draft. They will have 1 good player (assuming they don't botch the pick), maybe 2 if Holliday improves. Until Igoudala gets moved they won't win more then 35 games, he is easily the worst best player on a team in the league.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
It would be worth blowing this series against Montreal if it would mean that the Sixers were removed from the planet.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
mm6492

::My Idea::

TRADE
Cleveland Gets:
Iguoadala: $12.3 million
Elton Brand: $15.9 million

Philadelphia Gets:
Antawn Jamison: $13.5 million
Delonte West: $4.6 million
Sebastian Telfair: $2.7 million
Zydrunas Ilgauskas: $6 million one year sign and trade
~~The Cavaliers need to get leBron some help. Jamison does not fit in with that team and Igudola can come in and help him out. Brand is a throw in they would take to acquire him. We receive all expiring contracts, except Jamison, who has 2 years. But we could move him at the deadline.

Draft Evan Turner at #2
~~I really like Derrick Favors, the PF from Georgia Tech. he plays strong both ways and in a few years, could be a 20-10-2 guy. But Isee teh Sixers taking Turner

Starting Lineup
PG: Jrue Holliday
SG: Evan Turner
SF: Thadeus Young
PF: Antwan Jamison
C: Samuel Dalembert

I would try to move Speights as a trading chip, as he is awful dfeensively, something we need. And with rumors of Phill Collins being the next coach, he demands defense and energy. Also look to move Jamison at the deadline to a playoff contender for a pick and expiring contract.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
FlyHigh

Jamison is also awful defensively....he got absolutely abused by Garnett in that series.

I'd definitely get rid of Iguodala, he's way overpaid, Young should play SF, Turner is a natural 2-guard like Roy.

I'd hold onto Speights though, he has weaknesses, but guys with his skill-set don't come along very often.

I'm also intrigued slightly by Meeks who put up points whenever he got minutes.

Realistically though, they're screw until the Iguodala, Brand, and Dalembert contracts come off the books.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:20 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Jamison is also awful defensively....he got absolutely abused by Garnett in that series.

I'd definitely get rid of Iguodala, he's way overpaid, Young should play SF, Turner is a natural 2-guard like Roy.

I'd hold onto Speights though, he has weaknesses, but guys with his skill-set don't come along very often.

I'm also intrigued slightly by Meeks who put up points whenever he got minutes.

Realistically though, they're screw until the Iguodala, Brand, and Dalembert contracts come off the books.
I hate Jamison. hate him. That move is all about salary and getting younger. Move Jamison at the trade deadline, someone will take him. Getting rid of Brand and Iggy would be good. Then move Jamison. Then dalembert expires after next year I think

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:32 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Draft Turner!

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I hate Jamison. hate him. That move is all about salary and getting younger. Move Jamison at the trade deadline, someone will take him. Getting rid of Brand and Iggy would be good. Then move Jamison. Then dalembert expires after next year I think
Yeah, I doubt Cleveland goes anywhere near Brand anyways.

Sixers would be an interesting team with a decent coach.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:40 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
It doesn't matter who they draft. They will have 1 good player (assuming they don't botch the pick), maybe 2 if Holliday improves. Until Igoudala gets moved they won't win more then 35 games, he is easily the worst best player on a team in the league.
Holiday is a good player, Turner might be a good player, Igoudala is a good player now but not a star. At this point I like the idea of keeping Igoudala. That trio would be great defensively on the outside and allow sam to be sam inside. There is hope for this team with the right coach and how good Turner actually is.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Holiday is a good player, Turner might be a good player, Igoudala is a good player now but not a star. At this point I like the idea of keeping Igoudala. That trio would be great defensively on the outside and allow sam to be sam inside. There is hope for this team with the right coach and how good Turner actually is.
Holliday has shown flashes of being a useful player in the future but hes still very raw. Turner will be nice b/c at least they can say they have a back court worth building around. Until Stefanski gets rid of this delusion that he has any talent outside of Holliday on this roster there is no hope? Speights? Sure he might score some points, but rebounding defense or effort forget it. Young can score but he couldn't keep a 14 year old girl from driving to the lane. Dalembert is good when he doesn't touch the ball on offense, or get into foul trouble (so never). Lou Williams? Gimme a break. With this free agent class they should have dumped Igoudala and Dalembert to whoever would take them and made a run at someone with talent.

Eddie Jordan wasn't a very good coach, or at least his princeton offense wasn't working with the 76ers personnel who I'm convinced could have been beaten by Kentucky last year.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:02 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Take Wall if the Wizards are dumb enough to pass on him, and if they aren't, take Turner. Trade Iggy, Brand, and Sammy D and pick up a C. 2010-2011 lineup: Holliday-Turner-Young-Speights-C.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
I don't follow the Sixers as closely as the Flyers or Phillies (or even Eagles), but I was a little excited when I heard this. That's a nice break and should allow them to make an easy choice. Finally a Philly team doesn't get screwed in a draft lottery.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:30 PM
clodejirew

I don't know what they would do if Washington took Turner. The Sixers are already set at shooting guard with Holliday and he looked like he was getting better every game last year. Holliday is already an elite defender and with Holliday and Turner next year, the Sixers would have one of the best defensive back courts in the nba.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:36 PM
FlyHigh

Holiday is awful defensively...

If WSH is dumb enough to take Turner No.1, you take Wall at 2 and ask questions later, but I mean, Wall is going to be a superstar, Holiday may become a very nice player, but he doesn't have anything close to Wall's ceiling.

Old
05-19-2010, 04:50 PM
MikeHooligan

Send a message via AIM to MikeHooligan
i believe there should be a "i wish they would move to albuquerque so that the phantoms could play in the wach" option....

MikeHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Amateur Hour

If the Sixers don't take Evan Turner, it's just another reason to write this franchise off as a complete and utter embarrassment with a bunch of incompetent morons running the show.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Can Iggy play the three spot? Holiday - Turner - Igoudala would be a nice starting back court.

I see people mentioning trading Brand away, but who is taking that contract?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:16 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Holiday is awful defensively...

If WSH is dumb enough to take Turner No.1, you take Wall at 2 and ask questions later, but I mean, Wall is going to be a superstar, Holiday may become a very nice player, but he doesn't have anything close to Wall's ceiling.
completely uneducated and false comment. He was the youngest player in the nba last year and was constantly matched up against team's best players.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote