Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallashockey View Post
seems like I remember a song around St. Paddys Day that I wanted to download but had no clue what or who it was. It rocked.
zomg. You actually posted.

Day has been made.

And just fyi to all those who will be wondering where I am for the next two weeks starting Friday....(since SOOO many will be and all)....I will be drunk as hell for the next two weeks solid. Whoop!

Old
05-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
My fiance already knows at some point in my life I will own a 1950's jaguar roaster, would love to do the work myself but the fact that I don't know jack squat about cars could hamper that effort...lol.
That's a great way for her to start a new life, knowing her future husband is intent on buying an expensive piece of junk that will sit on the driveway or in the garage until she can convince him to sell/salvage it, which would surely take a decade or two.

Old
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
That's a great way for him to start a new life, knowing his future wife is intent on buying an expensive piece of junk that will sit on the driveway or in the garage until she can convince him to sell/salvage it, which would surely take a decade or two.
fixed it for you..and he is pretty indulgent of my little whims

Old
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Chad_

My mistake. A woman wanting to buy a classic car and fix it up. Well, that's a new one for me, not that there's anything wrong with it.

In that case, it is certainly easier for a wife to ignore a husband's wishes than the other way around. In fact, it happens all the time.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:45 PM
dallashockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
zomg. You actually posted.

Day has been made.

And just fyi to all those who will be wondering where I am for the next two weeks starting Friday....(since SOOO many will be and all)....I will be drunk as hell for the next two weeks solid. Whoop!

smartypants

Old
05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Can't say I don't feel for them, as we've been in the exact same situation before, but Cycling fans are major pissed after VS switched to pre-game hockey instead of staying for the very end of some race last night.

They've even started a petition on the Versus website...Link Here.

Lance Armstrong even had some words to said about it, via Twitter...Link Here

Old
05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Chad_

Weird. I didn't know there was such a thing as a cycling fan.

Old
05-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Weird. I didn't know there was such a thing as a cycling fan.
Neither did I until I found that thread...

I major league lol'd when they said "do people even watch hockey anymore?"

REALLY coming from a CYCLING FAN?!

Old
05-19-2010, 05:10 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Hey, cycling has dozens of fans.

Old
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Chad_

Quote:
REALLY coming from a CYCLING FAN?!
Almost immediately after I wrote that and clicked 'submit,' I thought of how non-hockey fans express a similar thought about hockey. But surely there are more hockey fans than fans of cycling, right? I mean I know plenty of hockey fans and I have never met a cycling fan, at least to my knowledge. I've seen people ride bicycles through the Rockies plenty of times (what a disaster in waiting that is with all the blind curves in the roads too), so maybe they are fans. I didn't even know anything other than the Tour de France was televised, or, let me take a step back, are there even other cycling tournaments other than the Tour de France?

Dozens . . . and Versus is a real sports network. Heh.

ADDED: After skimming ever so briefly the 'petition' thread Lobo referenced, here's a funny comment.
Quote:
It is crazy to not finish one event in favor of the opening minutes of another event. The end of a stage or game is far more important than the start of another.
While I agree with the premise, generally, dude, it's guys riding bicycles.

While on the topic of pre-game and the start of a game, in any sport, am I the only one who gets annoyed networks do 30 minutes or an hour, sometimes more, of pre-game and then has around 10 more minutes of pre-game starting at the allotted time a game is supposed to start? I mean, if I was interested in what the broadcasters had to say, I'd tune in earlier than the announced start time, right?

ADDED: Oh, here's another.
Quote:
I am tunring off Versus. The only reason I signed up for this station was for the cycling coverage. If they can't offer the coverage, I'm cancelling this channel.
While I'm not on the Versus bandwagon, at all, seriously? Someone paid extra money to receive a channel simply to watch cycling? Isn't the main draw for in-person spectators at the Tour de France an effort to get on television, see a crash, make some sort of political statement or harass the 'cheating' Americans?

Yeah, I don't get it. Then again, the last time I rode a non-stationary bike was 7th grade.

Last edited by Chad_: 05-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old
05-19-2010, 10:12 PM
SinBinTexan

Quote:
While I'm not on the Versus bandwagon, at all, seriously? Someone paid extra money to receive a channel simply to watch cycling? Isn't the main draw for in-person spectators at the Tour de France an effort to get on television, see a crash, make some sort of political statement or harass the 'cheating' Americans?
Only reason I got Versus was hockey playoffs. lol

Old
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinBinTexan View Post
Only reason I got Versus was hockey playoffs. lol
Hockey versus (no pun intended) cycling isn't a tough call. I have Versus due to it being in the sports package, which enables all sorts of channels I enjoy watching: ESPNU, CBS College, FSC, Goal and all sorts of regional sports networks. While the summer is essentially dead, Fall through late spring has several items of entertainment on those many channels.

But this person decided to pay extra for Versus to watch the few(?) cycling tournaments? I find that incredible.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Hockey versus (no pun intended) cycling isn't a tough call. I have Versus due to it being in the sports package, which enables all sorts of channels I enjoy watching: ESPNU, CBS College, FSC, Goal and all sorts of regional sports networks. While the summer is essentially dead, Fall through late spring has several items of entertainment on those many channels.

But this person decided to pay extra for Versus to watch the few(?) cycling tournaments? I find that incredible.
This...and this.

I nearly fell over when I read that the first time. The scary thing is that that poster wasn't the only one that said they got Versus only because of Cycling.

I wouldn't watch a single second of Versus without hockey being on there (as I'm sure several hockey fans wouldn't), but it's not the only reason for getting the entire sports package and it's not like I would get rid of Versus because of hockey leaving. One person said they switched entirely from DTV when Versus left. Just ridiculous claims IMO.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Chad_

Other than MMA and, of course, hockey, I don't know what else Versus shows.

I'm not entirely sure as I've had the same package for a long, long time, but I think the NFL, MLB and NHL networks are in the sports package.* I also think the Big Ten network is part of it. I'll tell anyone who cares, having all those regional sports channels is just awesome during college football season because there are all sorts of games on those networks.

Anyways, the point is there's so much more than just some crappy channel called Versus, and for anyone to pay what is a pretty decent fee for just one channel to be able to watch one sport that can't have that many competitions is unbelievable to me.

*For those unaware, the 'sports package' is an added fee to receive all those channels. While non-local NHL and MLB games are blacked out on the regional sports channels, those are just about the only regional sports games/shows that are. I find myself watching NCAA football coach/team-centric shows on several of them.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:44 PM
vofty

Quote:
Other than MMA and, of course, hockey, I don't know what else Versus shows.

I'm not entirely sure as I've had the same package for a long, long time, but I think the NFL, MLB and NHL networks are in the sports package.* I also think the Big Ten network is part of it. I'll tell anyone who cares, having all those regional sports channels is just awesome during college football season because there are all sorts of games on those networks.

Anyways, the point is there's so much more than just some crappy channel called Versus, and for anyone to pay what is a pretty decent fee for just one channel to be able to watch one sport that can't have that many competitions is unbelievable to me.

*For those unaware, the 'sports package' is an added fee to receive all those channels. While non-local NHL and MLB games are blacked out on the regional sports channels, those are just about the only regional sports games/shows that are. I find myself watching NCAA football coach/team-centric shows on several of them.
hunting, fishing, and rodeo-ing(?) at least those are the ones I've caught on the flip through

Old
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
I'll tell anyone who cares, having all those regional sports channels is just awesome during college football season because there are all sorts of games on those networks.

Agreed and Agreed.

Honestly, the only time I really even like to watch Versus is when Dallas is on. I pretty much just watch every other game that's played on Versus on streams anyway.

Old
05-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
hunting, fishing, and rodeo-ing(?) at least those are the ones I've caught on the flip through
I used to love fishing shows, back when they actually just caught fish and explained a bit about how to do so. Nowadays they spend too much time flaunting any sponsors. And there still has never been one show on the greatest form of fishing, fly fishing.

Old
05-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I am so sick of having to worry about a tornado with every freakin rain storm that passes through this area.

Feels like every other week, there's a watch or a warning.

Old
05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Chad_

Lobo, try living in West Texas for a while. A 'watch' every week or so turns into a 'warning' every other day for a month or two. I went tornado chasing in college every spring and saw quite a few funnel clouds.

A little over a week ago I got a ticket for expired registration and inspection. My registration on that car was 2 and a half years expired (I'll explain why) and my inspection expired March (I had no idea). During rush hour traffic, I ran into a cop in my neighborhood who was just sitting in his car, apparently thinking the best way to ensure public safety was to sit on a street corner in broad daylight instead of actually, you know, policing the streets.

Anyways, I settled everything up today after getting both registration and inspection on Tuesday. The fine for expired inspection was an astonishing ~$120. That's for a sticker that expired approx. 50 days ago. If I had no prior inspection, as the gentleman in front of me didn't (he just bought the car the day he was pulled over and ticketed), the fine was ~$140. Yeah, I got a whopping $20 discount for having my car inspected before.

Here's the real kicker to me. The fine for expired registration, and note how long it was expired, was $15. An additional $8.20 was levied on me at the tax collector's office when I purchased a new one, making the total for going without registration $23.20. As many of you know, annual registration costs ~$62. So where is the cost benefit of paying for yearly registration when the fine is only one-third of the total yearly cost if you happen to be unlucky and get spotted by a cop taking a break? And that, ladies and gents, is why my registration was expired.

Also note, Dallas and the surrounding burbs are under quite a money crunch and are giving tickets for specious things. My sister-in-law, living in Dallas proper, was tagged with parking illegally in front of her house (wrong way) and saw numerous tickets in her neighborhood for the same offense. I've seen several in my neighborhood. One of my friends got a ticket for going four MPH over the speed limit in Carrollton on Midway after the speed limit dropped within one block from 40 to 35. All of these things happened in the month of May.

So beware. The cities we live in are too busy spending our tax money to redo streets, sidewalks and curbs that don't need it and need to offset those costs by targeting drivers who are not in any way endangering public safety. You all have been warned.

Old
05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
vofty

Back when we lived in KC my sister got a ticket for parking the wrong way in front of our house, well she saw the police officer giving her the ticket so she ran out there to talk to him, and he said that whenever it rains because no one is speeding he drives around the streets looking for people parked the wrong way. Moral of the story some people are just jerks.

Old
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
vofty

Four years after the fact Floyd Landis has finally admitted to doping, and pretty much called out every cycler in the process. There was one thing that was pretty shocking to me though int he article:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/05/20/...ex.html?hpt=T2
Quote:
ESPN.com reported that Landis said in an interview that he consistently used the red blood cell booster erythropoietin, commonly known as EPO, along with testosterone and the human growth hormone and that he received frequent blood transfusions.

He also used female hormones and, once, insulin, ESPN.com reported.

Cycling is just making all kinds of headlines this week.

Old
05-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
The fine for expired inspection was an astonishing ~$120
Wow. I definitely need to get mine done if that is so. Mine ran out in February.

Quote:
My sister-in-law, living in Dallas proper, was tagged with parking illegally in front of her house (wrong way) and saw numerous tickets in her neighborhood for the same offense.
I was actually told that every car that is parked infront of a house could legally get a ticket. I don't know if that's true or not but I found that out by our neighbors getting pissed off that we had so many cars infront of our house so they contacted the police. The police responded back with if we ticket them, we're going to have to ticket you for doing the same thing.

Old
05-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Wow. I definitely need to get mine done if that is so. Mine ran out in February.
I'm sure the fine varies by municipality, but that's what mine was. I expected around $50, thinking that's still a pretty stiff fine for something that is a safety precaution while still taking into account the relative short time it had actually expired. I can tell you I had to ask the woman behind the counter to repeat the cost because I was stunned it was that high. What's strange is even though some of the money for state inspections is supposed to go to the state (highways, highway patrol, etc.), the fine I had to pay goes right to the city . . . for them to use to tear up my perfectly fine alley and rebuild it for the third time in two years.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM
vofty

I hate Leafs fans. That is all.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Chad_

**WARNING: Spoilers**

Any other Lost fans out there? I hadn't seen one episode on live television until this last season, but I did catch up with the series via Netflix before this one started.

Twelve hours after the series finale, I'm still moved by the ending and still catching up with things I hadn't put together before, thanks to several fan write-ups on the series/finale. For the longest time I thought the entire ordeal was Purgatory, not just the 'flash-sideways' crap. It was the easy explanation of all the strange things happening on the island and the battle between Jacob and whatever his antagonist was named, the reason to not allow the evil one to leave the island, Locke's ability to walk, the need for certain characters to defeat their own personal demons before passing or moving on, etc. How wrong I was.

I'm also looking forward to the series finale of 24 tonight, one of my all time favorite shows. Though in my opinion the show jumped the shark two or three seasons ago. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the more likely ending of Jack dying won't happen, as there's supposed to be a 24 movie made.

Closed Thread