HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Improving bad slapshot technique

Old
05-18-2010, 12:42 PM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Improving bad slapshot technique

This is a continuation of the slapshot challenge from the last thread

A bunch of people posted slapshot videos on here and youtube. I made a video that shows some of the common problems in slapshot technique that I saw in the videos, and how to fix them.

I wrote an article on how to improve slapshot power (also linked back to this forum)

And did this video

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Skraut

Thanks a bunch for this. Great article article and video.

Actually can't wait to get home to try some of this out. Stopping by the lumber yard on the way home to build myself a platform to shoot from to simulate the height of my feet on the skates to make sure I get the proper knee bend while shooting.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Usually a short stick means you don't hit the ice early enough...you mean you hunch over, right? I'd think a little longer stick would definitely be worth a shot though. Where is your stick on skates?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:22 PM
TheHMan

If you mash too much of the ice, try setting it with your stick just before you shoot. It helps your body feel where the puck is and how much you want to dig into the surface. The other thing to try is just shorter windups until you make contact comfortably and cleanly. It may not have the best power, but it should pretty much release all the same.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:53 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

My big thing with the slap shot is the leg push off when in skating, my slap shot when im stopped is BEAST tho.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Hockeyfan68

Nice video Beavboyz .... your shot looks a lot better I might add since you started these threads.

The bad shot was a good imppersonation too lol. That was awesome!

Your showing how to shoot into the shot with your legs is dead on, I had not even realized I was doing that in my videos until Jarick rold me i was driving into the shot with my legs properly.

I guess after a couple of decades it just comes naturally and you forget what you are doing once you get it right.

I have been working on staying on my back leg for one timers more which is an old age adjustment. You should anyway no matter the age but I exaggerate it now because my back doesn't do what my brain is telling it to as I get older. I have to pick my spots and drift back from the pass more deliberately which takes some skill with reading the play sooner than a youngster has to.

I scored with it tonight anyway ... I actually scored 7 goals playing defense for the first time ever. I had a good night

The point is your videos are good for the beginners or somwhere between beginner and decent. Scratch that ... I have seen plenty who play well and suck at shooting.

I guess my always shooting in the yard or on outdoor ice over the years paid off. You can never get enough shooting practice.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That was my favorite part of the video...the weight transfer DOWN and THROUGH the bottom leg. If you think about it, you can't really drive weight through the stick if you come up while shooting.

Oh yeah, last night in warmups took a slapper with my super whippy 60 flex, between the off-ice work and some of this weight transfer theory, shot was so hard it hit the blocker in the corner, kind of knocked his arm askew, and went right past him. Goalie and a few other guys just had to turn and stare at me for a second

Last edited by Jarick: 05-19-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old
05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That was my favorite part of the video...the weight transfer DOWN and THROUGH the bottom leg. If you think about it, you can't really drive weight through the stick if you come up while shooting.

Oh yeah, last night in warmups took a slapper with my super whippy 60 flex, between the off-ice work and some of this weight transfer theory, shot was so hard it hit the blocker in the corner, kind of knocked his arm askew, and went right past him. Goalie and a few other guys just had to turn and stare at me for a second
That is fun when that happens. I am glad beavboyz thread is doing its job and helping people out.

I once asked a beginner goalie last summer at shinny if he minded slapshots, I usually ask because some are skiddish when learning the goalie position. He said yes and while warming him up I ripped a good one and took his catching glove off.

he said he was okay so the next one I hit him in the thigh and he skated out of the crease like he had enough of that. I felt badly and I guess he didn't realize how hard some guys can shoot so i toned it down and hit his pads with snapshots instead.

He wanted to see how hard a slapshot was when one can shoot one so he knew what he was getting into but it surprised him I think.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Only time I've ever hurt a goalie was with a wrist shot...got off a nice hard wrister right into the chest (of course), but the goalie stayed down for a while. I don't know if he got the wind knocked out of him or if it found a gap in the padding, I don't have that hard of a shot.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Great video, I'll keep some of that in mind next time I'm on the ice. I finally got what people mean by 'dropping the shoulders' and driving the body into it. I can see how it's done, but I'm not sure I have the correct balance on my skates to do it. Taking slapshots from a standstill right over the puck is still difficult, I feel like I'm going off balance.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Skraut

Thanks again for these videos.

Before

after

doing the math and counting the frames, a few were right at 5 frames, which is 65 mph. Already a big improvement from the top movie which was high 40's low 50's. Also noticing a lot less flutter on the puck as it flies.

It's funny, I can actually see what I was thinking with each shot. Some the backswing comes back straighter, as opposed to behind, because that's what I was focusing on. Other times, my right arm was straighter because that's what I was thinking about. I just gotta get all these tips working together

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Lososaurus

Just want to start off by saying thanks for taking time to help everyone. Plus your production quality is exceptionally good.

One problem I have with my slapshot is I will skate forward after the shot and have to come back to my starting point. Unlike in the Hainsey video, he remains where he started, I need to come back around and set up again.

Advice?

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Razzmatazz

I have trouble getting the puck into a position where I take a slap shot on the move, obviously it is different depending on your angle, but is there any advice anyone can give regarding giving the puck the last nudge before the windup to put it into the right spot, as well as footwork depending on the angle to the net? I find the puck always gets away from me and I'm compensating somehow, usually a reaching swinging off-balanced swat at the thing to make contact, which doesn't produce very good results, usually I lose my balance before making contact, which is a reason I never use them in games or pickups. Driveway with the plastic puck, no problem taking shots, but as soon as I get the skates on, I'm totally uncoordinated.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I have trouble getting the puck into a position where I take a slap shot on the move, obviously it is different depending on your angle, but is there any advice anyone can give regarding giving the puck the last nudge before the windup to put it into the right spot, as well as footwork depending on the angle to the net? I find the puck always gets away from me and I'm compensating somehow, usually a reaching swinging off-balanced swat at the thing to make contact, which doesn't produce very good results, usually I lose my balance before making contact, which is a reason I never use them in games or pickups. Driveway with the plastic puck, no problem taking shots, but as soon as I get the skates on, I'm totally uncoordinated.
It is just practice, you want the puck moving at the same speed you are gliding in which varies from play to play so there isn't a set speed for it. Just time it with practice, the more you play the more it will become natural.

I do not think of any of this stuff anymore, it just happens.

Old
05-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Razzmatazz

It was kind of a dumb question, I guess it would be more of an anticipation thing...more often then not, I'll change direction a little and consequently the puck won't, and will drift away from my sweet spot, forcing me to rush it.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 07:23 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post

One problem I have with my slapshot is I will skate forward after the shot and have to come back to my starting point. Unlike in the Hainsey video, he remains where he started, I need to come back around and set up again.

Advice?
Sounds like to me might just be not distributing your weight onto your skate blade so its even and firm going into the ice. Maybe try and make sure you are putting pressure evenly on it so you don't end up kinda like cutting. Atleast thats kinda what happens to me when I do something similar.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote