HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Start of a New Era for Sixers

View Poll Results: What Should The Sixers Do With #2 Overall
Draft John Wall (If Available) 11 37.93%
Draft Evan Turner (If Available) 24 82.76%
Draft Player Not Mentioned 0 0%
Trade Pick 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-19-2010, 05:22 PM
2Claude2Giroux

vCash: 500
Holliday should be a VERY good player in the NBA. It will only help him develop more with a guy like Evan Turner in the backcourt with him. I really think he's the real deal. He might not have the greatest shot, but he finds ways to score and he's an excellent ball handler and even gets a ton of rebounds.

I know the Sixers need big men too but you take the BPA and Turner will be that because I don't see Washington skipping out on John Wall.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:31 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Holiday is awful defensively...

If WSH is dumb enough to take Turner No.1, you take Wall at 2 and ask questions later, but I mean, Wall is going to be a superstar, Holiday may become a very nice player, but he doesn't have anything close to Wall's ceiling.
Holiday is not awful defensively. Not sure what team you were watching. Yes, at times he was overmatched but what do you expect from the youngest player in the league. But yeah you take wall if he is there. I think a Wall-holiday tandem could work. They both have size and Holiday can shoot the 3. BUT Wall will be taken #1.

Anyway as someone who watched a lot of this crappy team Holiday is going to be stud of a PG. BUT a stud PG only gets you so far. That is why this #2 pick is so important. There are 3 options at #2 realistically: Turner, Favors, and Cousins. Personally I think Turner fits in best. This team needs a SG and that is what Turner is. But no matter what a trade or two will need to be made. If they get Turner, Iguodala stays. Iguodala is a natural 3 and a complimentary player. And Iguodala, Holiday, and Turner are 3 very strong ball handlers with good defensive ability. I realize people don't like Sam, but he is a good enough C. He will never have a great offensive game but Holiday and Iguodala by the end of the season seemed to figure out how to keep him happy and playing D. Now if we take Favors or Cousins I imagine two of young, speights, and louwill are moved for a SG. But it wont be someone we'll be happy about. Unless we are getting OJ Mayo you take Turner.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
They could get this pick right, but this team is going nowhere unless they find a legit big man. Dalembert can't play.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:08 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They could get this pick right, but this team is going nowhere unless they find a legit big man. Dalembert can't play.
Big men are overrated there are like 3 legit big men you can build around otherwise they are complimentary players.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Big men are overrated there are like 3 legit big men you can build around otherwise they are complimentary players.
I'm not a basketball guy even a little bit. But just because which 3 are you speaking of?

Old
05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
KevinLin

Really at this point there are probably less than 3. Dwight, Duncan(at the end of his career though so now he is a complimentary), and ??? Dwight is the only C.

Surprisingly Dalambert is probably a top-15 C in the league.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Even if they're at the end of their careers, those two, maybe Garnett, Gasol I guess, not really sure who NBA fans consider. Anyways, you're still talking about teams who are legit championship contenders year in and year out.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:41 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
completely uneducated and false comment. He was the youngest player in the nba last year and was constantly matched up against team's best players.
Huh? He matched up against other PGs and was getting beat off the dribble every time I watched the Sixers.

I do think it's a team with a potential for a bright future.

They have a chance to finally draft a real "first banana" which they haven't had for at least 2 decades (you were never going to win the title with AI as your best player) whereas Turner may have that potential.

The problem is that Brand contract which is going to hamstring them for the next 3 years.

BTW there are still a lot of strong bigs in the NBA.

- Amare
- Dirk
- Brook Lopez
- Duncan
- Howard
- Bosh
- P. Gasol
- M. Gasol
- Randolph
- Al Jefferson

You still need a great big to win a championship in that league.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:42 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Even if they're at the end of their careers, those two, maybe Garnett, Gasol I guess, not really sure who NBA fans consider. Anyways, you're still talking about teams who are legit championship contenders year in and year out.
Gasol and Garnett sucked till they had supberb 2/3. We are in the era of 2/3s being the key. 4/5s are compliments these days and are just asked to defend and rebound mainly. And Sammy can do both those things.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:45 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Huh? He matched up against other PGs and was getting beat off the dribble every time I watched the Sixers.

I do think it's a team with a potential for a bright future.

They have a chance to finally draft a real "first banana" which they haven't had for at least 2 decades (you were never going to win the title with AI as your best player) whereas Turner may have that potential.

The problem is that Brand contract which is going to hamstring them for the next 3 years.
Having watched Jrue all year, he got badly beat by vet guards but he stymied guys like Ellis, Jennings, etc. I think it was a learning curve thing and the fact Eddie Jordans defensive system was terrible. With time Jrue is a Rondo type PG. More of a Pass and defend guy who can make things happen.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:49 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Having watched Jrue all year, he got badly beat by vet guards but he stymied guys like Ellis, Jennings, etc. I think it was a learning curve thing and the fact Eddie Jordans defensive system was terrible. With time Jrue is a Rondo type PG. More of a Pass and defend guy who can make things happen.
This I definitely agree with.

Holiday has nice potential, even his evolution from the beginning of the year to the end which much faster than I expected. In a way, this draft could work out well for the Sixers. While Wall is going to be a stud, you'll still need to find pieces around him whereas Turner can slot right into what the 76ers have already. It'd kind of suck to draft Wall and then probably have to trade Holiday and get 20% of what he'll be worth in a few years.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
KevinLin

Wall and Holiday could work.

Wall is 6'4, Holiday is 6'3. Holiday shot the 3 well last year. They can shoot, pass, and defend. They both have the size to defend 2s and could make a really exciting playmaking tandem.

Old
05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Wall and Holiday could work.

Wall is 6'4, Holiday is 6'3. Holiday shot the 3 well last year. They can shoot, pass, and defend. They both have the size to defend 2s and could make a really exciting playmaking tandem.
Neither one though is really going to be a scorer. I don't see Holiday as a scorer and while Wall can get to the rim, his jumper is still iffy and I think you should have at least 1 guy who can fill it up from the backcourt.

I mean, if they hypothetically went Holiday-Wall-Iguodala, the SG and SF are both unreliable shooters, so you're essentially wasting Holiday's dribble penetration and kick outs.

Old
05-19-2010, 08:12 PM
KevinLin

I wouldn't be surprised if Dala is traded in the Wall scenario but not the Turner scenario.

If Gay leaves Memphis be interesting if AI2 could get M. Gasol.....

Old
05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
ESPN had the Sixers possibly taking some SF from Syracuse [I don't remember his name]. What's your guys thoughts on that?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:33 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
ESPN had the Sixers possibly taking some SF from Syracuse [I don't remember his name]. What's your guys thoughts on that?
If that happened the Wach would be burned to the ground. No one would take Wes Johnson #2. First he isnt very good. Second he was like 24 and didn't dominate in college despite his age. Not a chance. He isnt even a top 5 pick.

EDIT: Okay he was 22 this year, but by the start of the season he'll be 23. He is too old and not that good.

Old
05-19-2010, 08:35 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
If that happened the Wach would be burned to the ground. No one would take Wes Johnson #2. First he isnt very good. Second he was like 24 and didn't dominate in college despite his age. Not a chance. He isnt even a top 5 pick.

EDIT: Okay he was 22 this year, but by the start of the season he'll be 23. He is too old and not that good.
Just figured I'd post something that was different from what the general consensus says.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:40 PM
KevinLin

The only worse move they could make is to trade the pick for a vet.

Old
05-19-2010, 09:30 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Wesley Johnson? Crap if they're gonna take him at least trade down and get some additional help.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
clodejirew

http://espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=phi the first video on is that mock draft. I really doubt that they are going for anybody but turner.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
http://espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=phi the first video on is that mock draft. I really doubt that they are going for anybody but turner.
Wow. If they dont take Turner... that would be one of the dumbest things I ever saw.

Plus the guy sounded realy dumb there. Just cause they have Iggy they wont get Turner? Even if Turner can do the things he said they need?

Yea....no

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:58 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Evan Turner is gonna be a stud. They better take him.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:12 AM
dawkins121

knowing how the Sixers have been run recently, I'm bracing myself for DeMarcus Cousins. Obviously Turner is the smart pick here, but... it's the Sixers....

This high pick really doesn't excite me too much either just because of how incredibly screwed the Sixers really are. There are a lot of people that seem to be saying they don't know much about basketball or the Sixers, so let me say right off the bat that Brand is pretty much untradeable. Nobody wants to trade for a guy making 16, 17, and 18 million over the next three years respectively who has bad knees and is a shadow of his former self. Dalembert is also pretty untradeable but at least he's off the books after next season.

Iguodala is also signed to a terrible contract that runs 4 more years but at least he brings something to the table and if someone is really desperate for a pretty good defensive SG/SF with good athleticism and decent passing/rebounding skills, then there is a slim chance he could be moved. Not very likely though.

Until those three guys come off the books, this team is going absolutely nowhere. Not only that, but this team lucked into the #2 pick. They are nowhere near good enough to win a championship, but at the same time they aren't bad enough to get high lottery picks. That is why we are always drafting in the 10-14 range and getting players that are nice (like Speights, Young, Holiday, Carney) but not franchise-changing. And this draft seems kinda weak and I really don't expect Turner to be franchise-changing either.

The best possible scenario for the Sixers next year is that they are absolutely HORRIBLE, have one of if not the worst record in the league, deal Iguodala for expiring contracts, and get another high draft pick.

That way going into 2011-2012 we could build around Turner, Holiday, Young, Speights, and whoever we draft (gotta be a center) while Iguodala and Dalembert are gone and the only big weight is Brand.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

They should draft Turner and look to acquire another first round selection. In the past two or three years, we have seen first round picks either for sale (cash traded for them between like 750K and $2M) or available for future picks. Get Turner at 2 and gun for a big guy, either the kid from Marshall or the big Lithuanian later.

This team needs a STAR. They are two bankable commodities from that standpoint in this draft, Wall and Turner. I fully expect Washington to select Wall, their position is so precarious with their fans that they cannot afford to get fancy. Turner is a more mature player who is ready to contribute now and could be the better player in the long run. He does everything the Sixers guards now do not, he can handle the ball, he can shoot very well from midrange, he can distribute and he can rebound. I also think he and Holiday will make an excellent defensive backcourt down the line (Jrue is gonna be a STOPPER, think an athletic version of E Snow).

A lot of people say they need size and should think about Favors or Cousins. Those guys are promising to be sure, Cousins is built like Howard or Amare, that boy is a man (c) Charles, and Favors is a great running forward with good hands, long arms and solid rebounding ability. But neither of them, in my opinion, has a chance to be the MAIN player on a team, the LEADER, which is what the Sixers absolutely have to come up with here.

I also think that given the relatively small pool of bigs in this draft, a mid first (similar to where they took Speights and Holiday) is a good bet to grab and take a home run swing at a young big man. I think the Marshall kid is going to be good, only saw him twice but he showed some flashes. I am not as sold on him as I was Jason Thompson (another mid major stud) a couple years ago but he is a bigger and will be a true center in the NBA unlike Thompson.

As far as the rest of the roster, well here is the thing, after next year the Sixers will be spending about $50M on their roster allowing for committed salaries, options and what Turner and a more modestly priced rookie (mid first to early second rounder) will make. That is not going to be enough to sign a major free agent, additionally Thad Young is a restricted free agent, meaning the following year adding a first rounder's salary, Young's raise and a couple guys to fill out an empty roster there is no way there will be cap space.

So next summer is the Sixers only chance to clear some money and buy a big name on the open market. Personally, I think free agents are extremely overrated, the NBA is set up to retain your players so if a guy is available chances are he is either too old, oft injured, a malcontent or otherwise a proverbial factory second for which you have to pay above sticker price for four to six years.

Still, they have Green, Dalembert and Kapono all coming off the books and they still have minutes to spread around most likely, so it seems worthwhile to weigh options of jettisoning salary and also to ask if they think Turner can deliver what they need as far as being a franchise player.

If they can move either Brand or Iguodala, they can get a big name, a role player and a mid level exception guy next offseason, if it's a good FA crop they will be in great shape because they should have very little competition after teams get done spending and trading this year. If not, then they probably gave away Iggy for nothing. No one will take Brand without significant enticement, I think he is staying. I still like him, he just makes double what he should. At least he stayed healthy this year for the most part. Iggy is a nice talent but he is not fitting in well. A move to the three would help him but not that much. I am not in favor of moving him as a salary dump but if the Sixers could dump his salary while gaining an asset in return (a first-contract player of some value or a pick similar to what they invested in Iggy, somewhere between 7th and 16th overall), then I say go for it.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Wesley Johnson? Crap if they're gonna take him at least trade down and get some additional help.
Wesley Johnson is going to be a beast, I would prefer staying pat at two and taking Turner but I wouldn't be mad if the Sixers wound up with Johnson.

There are some trade down scenarios that are interesting, Dallas is going to be looking to wheel and deal and they have contracts that could save us money. Under the right circumstances, they might even be willing to take Brand (probably the only team in the league that would). If we could move down and get both Brand and Iggy off the books, I'd have to look at it, would likely be a three-way trade.

Minnesota is an interesting potential trade partner, they have pick number four which means potentially Cousins, Favors or Johnson and they are trying to make moves with some other guys. They have two big guys that don't mesh well together, so they could move either Love or Jefferson. They also have the rights to Rubio, who could help the Sixers next year. If the offer was right, I'd listen, great hosing would be Iggy for Love+junk contract (final year, non-guaranteed would be awesome) plus no 2 overall for no 4 overall and Rubio. I doubt it happens but Minnesota is not a very smart organization so it could.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote