HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Firmware Update on Android Phone?

Old
05-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Ranger Wolf

vCash: 500
2.1 for the HTC Eris was released on Monday. Works great.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:35 PM
invictus

Okay, so....I still am managing to mess this up.

I don't care about any of my texts, and I already wrote down the apps I want to redownload.

I downloaded the HTC Sync, but.....I don't know what to do. It keeps wanting to Sync my phone up with Outlook (which I don't even use).

Is there a simple way to just save all my names/numbers to it while I reboot the phone and then load them back? That's all I want to do!

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Okay, so....I still am managing to mess this up.

I don't care about any of my texts, and I already wrote down the apps I want to redownload.

I downloaded the HTC Sync, but.....I don't know what to do. It keeps wanting to Sync my phone up with Outlook (which I don't even use).

Is there a simple way to just save all my names/numbers to it while I reboot the phone and then load them back? That's all I want to do!
Hehe, you don't need to backup your emails (Gmail emails) or contacts. They are all backed up on the Google Servers.

After you flash the update your contacts and email will all be re-synced up automatically.

If you go to gmail on your desktop you'll notice all your contacts are there.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:41 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Hehe, you don't need to backup your emails (Gmail emails) or contacts. They are all backed up on the Google Servers.

After you flash the update your contacts and email will all be re-synced up automatically.

If you go to gmail on your desktop you'll notice all your contacts are there.
Dude.....you just blew my ****ing mind. I had no idea

So downloading the Sync for me was pointless. Oh well. I'm downloading the actual update now, we'll see how that goes

Old
05-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Dude.....you just blew my ****ing mind. I had no idea

So downloading the Sync for me was pointless. Oh well. I'm downloading the actual update now, we'll see how that goes
Sync isn't pointless, is important because it loads up the needed ADB drivers that your phone needs to push the files onto your phone.

Old
05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
grncobra76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
It was one of the main reasons I got an N1. Dont have to root and get updates day of, without having to worry about Rogers, who massively ****s up everything (See Dream and Magic launch and upgrade fiasco).

Anything big coming with 2.2? Ive heard it will give the N1 802.11N
I'm dying here waiting for the HTC Evo (pr-ordered @ Best Buy)
I did find some good info regarding Froyo; Android 2.2:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05...ut-450-faster/

I wish the Evo would just be released with Froyo.

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:14 PM
invictus

Quote:
Sync isn't pointless, is important because it loads up the needed ADB drivers that your phone needs to push the files onto your phone.
Yeah, I figured it out right after I posted. Now I just need a check to scan

Which is the good one between Shop Savvy and Barcode Scanner? I just couldn't remember the difference.

Any random cool apps you know that only work on this newer 2+ level?

And, do you know how to delete an app shortcut? I accidentally added email a 2nd time when I thought I was putting text messaging.

Sorry for being needy dude.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Yeah, I figured it out right after I posted. Now I just need a check to scan

Which is the good one between Shop Savvy and Barcode Scanner? I just couldn't remember the difference.

Any random cool apps you know that only work on this newer 2+ level?

And, do you know how to delete an app shortcut? I accidentally added email a 2nd time when I thought I was putting text messaging.

Sorry for being needy dude.
LOL no problem man. I'm here to help out my Android brothers!

Any of those 1.6+ only apps will probably be interesting. Google Goggles, Google Maps with FREE Turn By Turn Navigation (Definitely worth checking out the next time you are going somewhere you haven't been before or on a road trip, It's as good if not better to real GPS Units), Facebook Integration (although Sense already did that in 1.5), there is the official Twitter app if that's your thing (which I don't think it is but I must tell you it is very useful to get the latest hockey News) those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head but yeah. Now that you're at 2.1 all apps are now usable by your phone (except the super high end 3D games but you don't exactly seemed keen on those).

As for removing a shortcut on your homescreen just long press (press and hold) an icon then drag it to the trash symbol on the bottom.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:33 PM
invictus

Quote:
LOL no problem man. I'm here to help out my Android brothers!

Any of those 1.6+ only apps will probably be interesting. Google Goggles, Google Maps with FREE Turn By Turn Navigation (Definitely worth checking out the next time you are going somewhere you haven't been before or on a road trip, It's as good if not better to real GPS Units), Facebook Integration (although Sense already did that in 1.5), there is the official Twitter app if that's your thing (which I don't think it is but I must tell you it is very useful to get the latest hockey News) those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head but yeah. Now that you're at 2.1 all apps are now usable by your phone (except the super high end 3D games but you don't exactly seemed keen on those).

As for removing a shortcut on your homescreen just long press (press and hold) an icon then drag it to the trash symbol on the bottom.
You are a good man. You are single-handedly making me feel like it'd be alright for Montreal to win it all

Thanks for all the tips. You are very right Twitter and 3D games aren't my thing

Are you going to abandon us for the Evo?

Old
05-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
You are a good man. You are single-handedly making me feel like it'd be alright for Montreal to win it all

Thanks for all the tips. You are very right Twitter and 3D games aren't my thing

Are you going to abandon us for the Evo?
Nop. The EVO 4G is Sprint only and none of the Canadian carriers will be going WiMax like Sprint is so...

I do expect a GSM/HSPA version of the EVO 4G to eventually be made just a matter of time.

That and I need a job and University isn't cheap.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:57 PM
invictus

Quote:
Nop. The EVO 4G is Sprint only and none of the Canadian carriers will be going WiMax like Sprint is so...

I do expect a GSM/HSPA version of the EVO 4G to eventually be made just a matter of time.

That and I need a job and University isn't cheap.
May I interest you in joining the United States Navy? I can now afford to have a fancy cell phone AND get paid to go to school. Accelerate your life

Old
05-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
May I interest you in joining the United States Navy? I can now afford to have a fancy cell phone AND get paid to go to school. Accelerate your life
SURE! I mean like it must be just like FPS, just like with DirectX 5000 graphics!

Old
05-20-2010, 03:31 AM
invictus

Quote:
SURE! I mean like it must be just like FPS, just like with DirectX 5000 graphics!
Something like that....just think, you can easily get dual citizenship and run rampant all over North America!