HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Parent Appreciation Thread

Old
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
But Parent is also at an age where it's expected he'll be capable of doing SOMETHING. I take a look at some of the defensemen who were chosen after Parent - guys like Cody Franson, Kris Russell, Kris Letang, Matt Niskanen, Marc Edouard Vlasic, Keith Yandle, Niklas Hjalmarsson - they've also shown that they're going to be good defensemen in the league. Parent was considered at one point one of the best defensive prospects and he's done nothing. 23 years old or not, at least these guys have shown signs of life and in some cases, have already established themselves. Parent has shown nothing but being an injury prone, mediocre third pairing defenseman. I don't care what anyone says, that's extremely disappointing for a guy with his pedigree. It's almost to the point where Parent can be considered a bust.
I apologize I missed the battle regarding Parent seeing that I started this thread. I chose to single handedly pick you out because I think your post is ridiculous.

Look who those players you listed with are being paired with on their respective teams. When Parent was playing with a solid d-man (Timonen) he was ROCK solid. He was our #2 defensemen in the playoffs two years ago in case you forgot.

If Parent could get away from pairing with Krajicek who gets passed around like a **** in high school and Bartulis who is a borderline NHL player, perhaps no one would be knocking him.

I don't understand how people are talking about his offensive numbers. He has never nor will he ever put up points. You know what is so good about that? He will never get a huge salary to eat up our cap. True stay at home defenseman are great in the cap era.

People keep saying he needs to put on muscle, the guy is 6'2 205. That is not THAT small. Sure, he can put on some pounds but he is only 23.

I apologize for not being like every other Flyers fan and sucking on Richards, Carters, Giroux's dick. I always am a fan of the blue collar player so to speak. I will always be a Parent fan, no matter what team he goes to. I hope he turns into what type of player most people projected him to be.

Good Day sirs.

Ps - Hubey I'll be happy to join you in your circle jerk. Dont be upset you weren't invited pokemon rocket.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 09:28 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Look who those players you listed with are being paired with on their respective teams. When Parent was playing with a solid d-man (Timonen) he was ROCK solid. He was our #2 defensemen in the playoffs two years ago in case you forgot.

If Parent could get away from pairing with Krajicek who gets passed around like a **** in high school and Bartulis who is a borderline NHL player, perhaps no one would be knocking him.

I don't understand how people are talking about his offensive numbers. He has never nor will he ever put up points. You know what is so good about that? He will never get a huge salary to eat up our cap. True stay at home defenseman are great in the cap era.

People keep saying he needs to put on muscle, the guy is 6'2 205. That is not THAT small. Sure, he can put on some pounds but he is only 23.

I apologize for not being like every other Flyers fan and sucking on Richards, Carters, Giroux's dick. I always am a fan of the blue collar player so to speak. I will always be a Parent fan, no matter what team he goes to. I hope he turns into what type of player most people projected him to be.

Good Day sirs.
I can't say it better than this. A 23-year old defenseman who has had a miserable run of injuries has the potential to be someone the Flyers (or any team) would talk about for years to come as 'the one that got away' if they give up on him at this stage in his career.

His injury history is a concern, no doubt. But I'm with you - I'll always be a fan. If people were expecting him to be Paul Coffey or Scott Niedermayer, they were destined to be disappointed.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
At least SOMEONE gets it.
LOL kind of sad when only one person is agreeing with you... should make ya think a little about your stand (or perhaps its a secret man crush on ryan parent)

Quote:
I apologize I missed the battle regarding Parent seeing that I started this thread. I chose to single handedly pick you out because I think your post is ridiculous.

Good Day sirs.

Ps - Hubey I'll be happy to join you in your circle jerk. Dont be upset you weren't invited pokemon rocket.
No one can argue that. Well said kind sir.

As far as the circle jerk... its obvious its a jealousy thing that pokemon little rocket wasnt invited, probably keeps parent on his avatar just so he can keep staring at him. If you want pokemon i can photoshop me and jstaff with our arms around parent, could keep you aroused for days.

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post

No one can argue that. Well said kind sir.

As far as the circle jerk... its obvious its a jealousy thing that pokemon little rocket wasnt invited, probably keeps parent on his avatar just so he can keep staring at him. If you want pokemon i can photoshop me and jstaff with our arms around parent, could keep you aroused for days.

Pokemon's favorite boys?

Old
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
LOL kind of sad when only one person is agreeing with you... should make ya think a little about your stand (or perhaps its a secret man crush on ryan parent)
Yeah, honestly I'm starting to think he tried hitting on him at a bar or something and got rejected. That or Pokemon said hi to him passing him on the street somewhere, and Parent ignored him. Other then that, I can't really see where the hate is coming from.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:38 AM
mja
Negative Creep

I think we should all learn from past lessons when it comes to players coming back from injuries and/or young defenseman.

Earlier this year, Simon Gagne was left for dead and Braydon Coburn was a monumental disappointment.

Parent's injury history is the biggest concern I have. But I'm more than willing to give him a shot at being a 5 next season at the ripe old age of 23. He'll never give you any offense, and that is fine. If he can skate well, make good decisions with the puck, and stay at home, than you've got a very fine number 5 dman.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Realistically he'll get resigned because 1 he'll be relatively cheap and 2 he's a RFA, so this discussion should really be had a later date like say trade deadline next year. He needs to start showing his potential though and injured or not he makes a lot of dumb moves in our end.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:49 AM
agrudez*

Parent was solid in last year's paired with a gimped Kimmo playing against the league's "best" player.

I would imagine he is probably feeling a TON of pressure this year because he knows he has been a disappointment thus far due to his lofty prospect ceiling and its his first contract year, which was evidenced early in the year when he came back too soon and reaggravated his back right away.

In other news, the amount of hypocrisy on these boards is absolutely ridiculous about our defense.

Braydon Coburn - age 25

CONSTANTLY underachieves despite always being in very good positions to succeed, namely being paired with all star veteran defenseman (Timonen, Smith and Hatcher), and makes some of the DUMBEST plays on the team (even rivals Hartnell some times, which is saying a ton - if that tape to tape pass to Cammy last game in our own zone hadn't been a chest snipe it might be 1-1 right now). Yet the posters here are mezmerized by his size and skating speed and want to believe in his potential. Lock him up for 4 years at 2.5M, right guys?!

Ryan Parent - age 22

Was MUCH better than Coburn last year and about equal this year defensively. Injuries constantly set him back as does playing with inferior pairing mates (see: Bartulis, Krajicek, Syvret and even Coburn himself) yet when he got a chance with a good pairing partner he ran with it and impressed (Timonen last year). Yet the posters want to give up on his potential and give him away for a draft pick.

Matt Carle - age 25

Was never given the best situation prior to this year, was dog housed by a Ron dumbass Wilson after his breakout rookie year that had people saying he would win the Norris one day and then was bounced around TWICE in the same season the next year. Has taken his opportunity this year to raise his game to a fantastic level and has become Lavi's CLEAR third option from the defenseman in ALL situations. Yet the posters here want to treat him like a salary dump and give up on his potential even though it is currently being realized.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Parent is a high effort guy and he has made a big play or two but I will not lie, every time the third pairing is on the ice in a big spot, I have to hold my breath. Some announcer recently remarked the gamble Laviolette took playing his fourth line in a big spot, I don't think that matters, the gamble is putting Parent and Krajicek out there in a big situation. We basically play four D and should not deviate from that late, if anything give bury the third pair's shifts in the middle of the game to keep the main quartet fresh.

Parent was billed as a skater, he might be the worst skater of the six DMen on the roster. He was billed as a defensive stalwart and only sometimes shows why. He is positively awful with the puck, at least he knows to move it quickly in the right direction in the offensive zone but on the breakout he is a heart attack.

I don't mind him now in the role he is in but overall I am a bit disappointed.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

agrudez, agreed on most of your points although i think parent has been inconsistent in some areas and the difference between him and coburn is that coburn will one day put it together. he's bigger, he's a better skater and he is not lost with the puck.

COMPLETELY agree on Carle, I could not believe the way he was being bandied about as a cap dump before the season started. He was being discussed in the same breath as Randy Jones! WTF!?! I saw him quite a bit in SJ, was extremely excited to get him for Downie (whom I hated, even though he's panned out nicely so far for TB).

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
agrudez, agreed on most of your points although i think parent has been inconsistent in some areas and the difference between him and coburn is that coburn will one day put it together. he's bigger, he's a better skater and he is not lost with the puck.

COMPLETELY agree on Carle, I could not believe the way he was being bandied about as a cap dump before the season started. He was being discussed in the same breath as Randy Jones! WTF!?! I saw him quite a bit in SJ, was extremely excited to get him for Downie (whom I hated, even though he's panned out nicely so far for TB).
You must have not been around here for this season, he is still being talked about as a cap dump.

As for Parent, he far outplayed Coburn last season, especially in the playoffs where I was very impressed with him. This season; however, he has taken a big regression in terms of puck handling and passing - he is very indecisive sometimes, but like I stated, this is a very high pressure year for him and he is probably playing through injury. Coburn's only excuse for his play is that he is borderline retarded.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:30 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
As for Parent, he far outplayed Coburn last season, especially in the playoffs where I was very impressed with him. This season; however, he has taken a big regression in terms of puck handling and passing - he is very indecisive sometimes, but like I stated, this is a very high pressure year for him and he is probably playing through injury. Coburn's only excuse for his play is that he is borderline retarded.
Not to mention the fact that Parent is paired with Krajicek, and Coburn is paired with Timonen. There's a slight difference in talent there. Switch 'em up and I bet you see a huge difference in Parent's game. And Coburn's.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Not to mention the fact that Parent is paired with Krajicek, and Coburn is paired with Timonen. There's a slight difference in talent there. Switch 'em up and I bet you see a huge difference in Parent's game. And Coburn's.
The Parent - Coburn pairing earlier this year was brutal... but not because of Ryan.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Parent was solid in last year's paired with a gimped Kimmo playing against the league's "best" player.

I would imagine he is probably feeling a TON of pressure this year because he knows he has been a disappointment thus far due to his lofty prospect ceiling and its his first contract year, which was evidenced early in the year when he came back too soon and reaggravated his back right away.

In other news, the amount of hypocrisy on these boards is absolutely ridiculous about our defense.

Braydon Coburn - age 25

CONSTANTLY underachieves despite always being in very good positions to succeed, namely being paired with all star veteran defenseman (Timonen, Smith and Hatcher), and makes some of the DUMBEST plays on the team (even rivals Hartnell some times, which is saying a ton - if that tape to tape pass to Cammy last game in our own zone hadn't been a chest snipe it might be 1-1 right now). Yet the posters here are mezmerized by his size and skating speed and want to believe in his potential. Lock him up for 4 years at 2.5M, right guys?!

Ryan Parent - age 22

Was MUCH better than Coburn last year and about equal this year defensively. Injuries constantly set him back as does playing with inferior pairing mates (see: Bartulis, Krajicek, Syvret and even Coburn himself) yet when he got a chance with a good pairing partner he ran with it and impressed (Timonen last year). Yet the posters want to give up on his potential and give him away for a draft pick.

Matt Carle - age 25

Was never given the best situation prior to this year, was dog housed by a Ron dumbass Wilson after his breakout rookie year that had people saying he would win the Norris one day and then was bounced around TWICE in the same season the next year. Has taken his opportunity this year to raise his game to a fantastic level and has become Lavi's CLEAR third option from the defenseman in ALL situations. Yet the posters here want to treat him like a salary dump and give up on his potential even though it is currently being realized.
Excellent post. And I can't believe some of the suggestions I hear about Carle.

Dump Carle, he's not worth $3.5M! He is doing a fine job on the top pairing playing with Pronger, they have clear chemistry, he's become the #3 as you've said, and he's EARNED IT. Who will play a top pairing role for less than that? He's knocked for his farts (of which there really aren't that many), but Coburn is just "learning."

But there are some who claim Parent, who "might not be in game shape" while playing < 10 minutes a night, should be paired with Pronger on the top pair next year playing 25+ mins a night.

I think people want to believe that Coburn for Zhitnik was still just as lopsided as ever - not realizing that Coburn is doing the exact same things he was doing in Atlanta. He was traded for a reason.

Not learning is one of them.
It's unreal.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

Braydon Coburn - age 25

Ryan Parent - age 22

Matt Carle - age 25

I agree with one exception: I don't see where Parent was better than Coburn last year. Are you remembering that Coburn was the guy with an outside chance at making Team Canada for the olympics? This year was Coburns big suck fest.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:34 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I agree with one exception: I don't see where Parent was better than Coburn last year. Are you remembering that Coburn was the guy with an outside chance at making Team Canada for the olympics? This year was Coburns big suck fest.
Parent was probabaly our best dman against the Pens last year (maybe not saying much since we lost, though) after that dirty little **** Kunitz's cheap shots finished hitting Timonen's pre-existing injuries.

During the season I thought Carle-Coburn was a pretty mediocre pairing, and if you have ever read any of my posts you would know which one of those two I blame for that.

Old
05-20-2010, 02:50 PM
FlyerX

Parent's been much better lately. He has a goal and is a -1 his last 10 games. He took a step back this year but the only reason I can see for not sticking with him is the injury factor. He's a guy who gets hurt and for long periods of time. I think that's hurt his progress as much as anything. It was just last year he was paired with Kimmo and no one was complaining about it.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 08:37 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Coburn for Team Canada? Come on now. The guy has the skills and the potential but has ZERO brain. He might seriously be the worst pincher and decision maker i've seen here in awhile.

Last nights puck throwing out of our own zone is a perfect example.

Old
05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
McNasty

Parent is what he is. He is solid defensively and horrific with the puck. That was pretty much the scouting report when we got him. Hes been up and down this year, but I think if he can muscle up a bit so he doesn't get beaten on the boards as much he can be a solid shutdown defender.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:33 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Look at those guys I pointed out. Vlasic came into the league as an 18 year old and has been impressive from day one. His first season in San Jose, he was partnered with.....Matt Carle. His second season, he was partnered with guys like Christian Erhoff and Doug Murray. He's gotten consistently better year after year after year.

Let's look at who Kris Russell was partnered with in Columbus. His partners were guys like Mike Commodore or Rostislav Klesla or Jan Hedja or anyone Hitchcock decided to put him with. He didn't have a consistent partner, but his play continued to get better and better year after year.

Then there's Kris Letang. He might be the only guy on the list who benefitted because he played with either Gonchar (which wasn't very long) or he played with Brooks Orpik.

Marc Staal? He played with guys like Marek Malik, Michal Roszival and Wade Redden. Enough said right there.

Cody Franson doesn't play with either Shea Webber or Ryan Suter. Niklas Hjalmarsson played with Brian Campbell or Brent Sopel. Keith Yandle was partnered with Derek Morris. Matt Niskanen had the luxury of playing with Trevor Daly or Stephane Robidas or Karlis Skrastins.

You're absolutely right. All those guys had soooooooooooooo much of an advantage over Parent. There's a reason that Parent is only averaging 8 minutes and 7 seconds of ice time per game in the playoffs. If he were playing any better, he'd get more ice time.

Quote:

Never once have I said anything about his offensive game because I know that's not Parent's strong suit. When he was drafted, he was drafted on the strength of being a superior shut down defenseman and because he is a leader. There's no problem with that because Jason Smith-type warriors are needed by every team.

I also never said that he needs to put on muscle. I said his conditioning is an issue in that he's always hurt and someone else pointed out he gets knocked off the puck easily. That's a sign that strength training is an issue and needs to be addressed. So what if he's 6'2, 205 pounds. If he isn't very strong, he's going to be susceptible to being knocked of the puck and getting injured. And at this point in his career, he needs to focus on being stronger to fulfill his promise.

Quote:
I don't think anyone on here has a problem with blue collar players. Guys like Ian Laperriere and Blair Betts get all kinds of praise for the job they do. Shjon Podein was another popular Flyer because of the game he played. Same with Kent Manderville. Dave Poulin was one of the most popular players in team history and he was a blue collar guy who worked very hard to produce the way he did. The list goes on and on with regards to blue collar players. Once again, you can't win without those guys.

And I think I speak for most on here in that there is a hope that Parent does develop into the shut down defender and leader he's supposed to be. However, I can also say that when you're only averaging 8 minutes and change per night of ice time, there's usually a reason for that - one can't be relied upon to perform their job. And, let's not forget that there will be times when Parent will need to handle the puck in his role as a shut down defender. As much as the team is to blame for his development, Parent hasn't done himself any favours either in that his play has digressed this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Next season is going to be a big year for him because it's the jump year that most players go through. He's either going to be that top notch shut down guy or he's going to get dealt. He needs to show something though and when training camp starts next season, he needs to show some urgency and maybe a chip on his shoulder.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 06:48 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
This is a Ryan Parent appreciation thread. There shouldn't be any hating or debating him. Come on people, the internet has rules! This is not 'Nam.
Yeah right

Quote:

Good Day sirs.

Great post! 6'2 205 is not horrible, but watch him get overpowered constantly. I am 6'3 240, doesnt mean I cant afford to have a little more muscle. He needs to get stronger.

Quote:

Matt Carle - age 25

I dont think anyone is considering him a salary dump, in fact, most of us are saying to trade him while his value is high as compared to someone like Coburn whose value isnt the best right now. Sell high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Look at those guys I pointed out. Vlasic came into the league as an 18 year old and has been impressive from day one. His first season in San Jose, he was partnered with.....Matt Carle. His second season, he was partnered with guys like Christian Erhoff and Doug Murray. He's gotten consistently better year after year after year.

Let's look at who Kris Russell was partnered with in Columbus. His partners were guys like Mike Commodore or Rostislav Klesla or Jan Hedja or anyone Hitchcock decided to put him with. He didn't have a consistent partner, but his play continued to get better and better year after year.

Then there's Kris Letang. He might be the only guy on the list who benefitted because he played with either Gonchar (which wasn't very long) or he played with Brooks Orpik.

Marc Staal? He played with guys like Marek Malik, Michal Roszival and Wade Redden. Enough said right there.

Cody Franson doesn't play with either Shea Webber or Ryan Suter. Niklas Hjalmarsson played with Brian Campbell or Brent Sopel. Keith Yandle was partnered with Derek Morris. Matt Niskanen had the luxury of playing with Trevor Daly or Stephane Robidas or Karlis Skrastins.

You're absolutely right. All those guys had soooooooooooooo much of an advantage over Parent. There's a reason that Parent is only averaging 8 minutes and 7 seconds of ice time per game in the playoffs. If he were playing any better, he'd get more ice time.

Never once have I said anything about his offensive game because I know that's not Parent's strong suit. When he was drafted, he was drafted on the strength of being a superior shut down defenseman and because he is a leader. There's no problem with that because Jason Smith-type warriors are needed by every team.

I also never said that he needs to put on muscle. I said his conditioning is an issue in that he's always hurt and someone else pointed out he gets knocked off the puck easily. That's a sign that strength training is an issue and needs to be addressed. So what if he's 6'2, 205 pounds. If he isn't very strong, he's going to be susceptible to being knocked of the puck and getting injured. And at this point in his career, he needs to focus on being stronger to fulfill his promise.

I don't think anyone on here has a problem with blue collar players. Guys like Ian Laperriere and Blair Betts get all kinds of praise for the job they do. Shjon Podein was another popular Flyer because of the game he played. Same with Kent Manderville. Dave Poulin was one of the most popular players in team history and he was a blue collar guy who worked very hard to produce the way he did. The list goes on and on with regards to blue collar players. Once again, you can't win without those guys.

And I think I speak for most on here in that there is a hope that Parent does develop into the shut down defender and leader he's supposed to be. However, I can also say that when you're only averaging 8 minutes and change per night of ice time, there's usually a reason for that - one can't be relied upon to perform their job. And, let's not forget that there will be times when Parent will need to handle the puck in his role as a shut down defender. As much as the team is to blame for his development, Parent hasn't done himself any favours either in that his play has digressed this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Next season is going to be a big year for him because it's the jump year that most players go through. He's either going to be that top notch shut down guy or he's going to get dealt. He needs to show something though and when training camp starts next season, he needs to show some urgency and maybe a chip on his shoulder.
Seriously man, you are mentioning all dmen that have much more skill than him. They are not similar dmen. He isnt a puck mover. He is never going to rush the puck up the ice and put up points. We may be lucky to see 20 points out of him. He is a pure stay at home defender. He is smart in his own zone, and generally is making the right play. His issues are conditioning, getting overpowered by the forecheckers and making his decisions a little quicker. All things that come with conditioning and experience. The guy barely has 100 game in the NHL....

Someone like him is most effective paired with a puck moving dman where he can make a play and get the puck over to that dman to get the puck out of the zone....Hence why he was playing very well with Timonen.

And everyone you mention they have played with are light years better than anyone Parent has been playing with.

I am perfectly happy to debate with you, but just like the contract discussion regarding Hartnell, you are not picking the right players to compare.

Vlasic for example put up all his points on the powerplay....and he has always played with top 4 dmen.

Stop focusing on the 8 minutes per night, its really not relevant.....If your top 4 are playing 48-50 out of a possible 60 minutes, his time on the ice is going down.....And that doesnt help his development, of course this is the playoffs, not the time to develop players.

During the regular season he averaged 14+ minutes...This is the playoffs where most teams will go with their top 2 pairings the majority of the time, especially when you have guys that can eat up minutes like our top 4.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote