HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Snus in canada... do you do it?

Old
05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Snus in canada... do you do it?

simple question. I remember reading an article in the Ottawa Citizen a long while back saying that it was being sold by Imperial Tobacco in Ottawa and Edmonton. Since then, i havnt heard whether it has expanded to other markets, or if it simply failed.

I have a few friends who import swedish snus, but it can be a hassle.

so:
1) do you do it?
2) where do you get it?

05-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 500
I don't know what SNUS is I doubt I take part in SNUS sessions.

05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 243
It's chewing tobacco if I'm not mistaken? I dunno, I've never done it but I see it being sold at convenience stores in the US

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

I loved my SNES, but the thing hasn't worked in years.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:47 PM
HackandLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevscup30 View Post
It's chewing tobacco if I'm not mistaken? I dunno, I've never done it but I see it being sold at convenience stores in the US
No, Snus is Swedish steamed tobacco that you keep in your mouth. Different from chew.

It's not roasted like chewing tobacco and therefore less pyrolizing and less carcinogens are made (think eating steamed toast versus burnt toast) so it's much healthier.

I don't know where to find any in Calgary, I heard it was sold as a trial in Calgary and Edmonton a few years ago by DuMaurier.

Sweden has the mostsnus users in the world, and has theloswest tobacco related cancer rate in the world

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

It is chewing tobacco. There was a feature on 60 minutes about it.

Some guy, he was basically chewing it all day. Now that's an addiction. They also interviewed some Swedish guy who was against smoking but advocated for SNUS.

The interesting thing was the scientist claimed snus was less harmful than smoking.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Du Marier is just a brand, the company is Imperial Tobacco
never seen that here.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
It is chewing tobacco. There was a feature on 60 minutes about it.

Some guy, he was basically chewing it all day. Now that's an addiction. They also interviewed some Swedish guy who was against smoking but advocated for SNUS.

The interesting thing was the scientist claimed snus was less harmful than smoking.
It isn't "chewing tobacco". It's just some tobacco stuff you put under your upper lip and just leave there.

Anyway, if you really want to try it, I suggest you order a "stock" of General Snus off the internet.
Also, avoid brands that aren't produced in Sweden, as there is no guarantee that they have actually been produced in a proper way, which may negate any advantages snus has over other tobacco products in terms of health.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
It isn't "chewing tobacco". It's just some tobacco stuff you put under your upper lip and just leave there.

Anyway, if you really want to try it, I suggest you order a "stock" of General Snus off the internet.
Also, avoid brands that aren't produced in Sweden, as there is no guarantee that they have actually been produced in a proper way, which may negate any advantages snus has over other tobacco products in terms of health.
My bad. I misremembered the feature.

The guy actually did keep it somewhere under his mouth, I stand corrected.

Again, what was interesting was that this is less harmful than smoking

http://www.swedishwire.com/component...s-swedish-snus

Quote:
Although the news show aimed to investigate both the pros and cons, the core message in the report was that smokeless tobacco may help you to quit smoking cigarettes and that it’s less harmful.

Swedish nicotine addiction expert Dr Karl Fagerström stated that snus is 90-99 percent less harmful than smoking.

The famous Swedish TV host Martin Timell explained that his mother died of lung cancer and that he was only able to quit smoking by switching to snus.

The counterpoint was an interview with an American control advocate who expressed concerns about many tobacco users becoming dual users (of both cigarettes and snus) and said that sometimes snus products look like candy to attract children.

All in all the news report was very good publicity for snus.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:01 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

update of sorts...

I did find a single gas station in ottawa that sells the dumaurier snus, and tried it out in the summer. Also tried some of the camel snus that is being marketed in the midwest (I had it in kansas and missouri).

Then i started ordering from sweden. Much better taste, quality, and the nicotine level per pouch is more comparable to a single cigarette.

i've since quit smoking.
i snus about 3 pouches a day. I used to smoke a pack in about 4 days.
When i get past customs, the cost is about $3.75 per can of 24 portions (=~24 cigarettes). When customs hits me, it's about $5 a can.
If i order online on a monday or tuesday, i'll usually receive the package from sweden by friday.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
neofury*

I've tried chewing tobacco and I believe SNUS was the brand. It's ****, beyond **** and I don't get how people enjoy doing it. This coming from a person who used to be a cigarette smoker and realizes just how disgusting it really is.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've tried chewing tobacco and I believe SNUS was the brand. It's ****, beyond **** and I don't get how people enjoy doing it. This coming from a person who used to be a cigarette smoker and realizes just how disgusting it really is.
Snus is not chewing tobacco.

Old
03-25-2011, 11:41 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I do not partake in SNUS or any tobacco product for that matter.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Henrik Maneuver

I've never smoked and don't chew but a friend from Iceland offered me what I think was snus (like a tiny teabag you put under your lip, right?). It was pretty good, I can see how it would be addicting.

Henrik Maneuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Snus is not chewing tobacco.
Okay, it's a form of tobacco you put in your mouth and chew on that is not called "chewing tobacco". Happy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

I mean really, it may as well be an argument over semantics practically. It isn't chewing tobacco, it's tobacco you put in your mouth /rolleyes.

It's in a bag instead, and people put it under their lip instead of cheek, woopty doo. Bottom line it's a form of tobacco you put in your mouth. Haven't tried it I guess but how much better than chewing tobacco can it honestly be? Is it really that different???

EDIT: So basically it's a healthier form of chewing tobacco that you keep in your mouth and salivate on rather than chewing?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:56 AM
OilerNut*

What's the point? I can't imagine it would be very good for your gums/teeth.

Buy a pack of gum instead?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:14 PM
BELLE TIRE

vCash: 129
Quote:
General Snus
Bingo. The only thing that comes close to the greatness of General is Skruf, IMO.

Tried some German nasal snus a few times. Really inconvenient.

BELLE TIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
EDIT: So basically it's a healthier form of chewing tobacco that you keep in your mouth and salivate on rather than chewing?
The process of manufacturing snus is completely different to the one used when manufacturing chewing tobacco. Real Swedish snus is steam-pasteurized, American chewing tobacco is fire cured.

The process of using snus is also completely different to that of chewing tobacco. Snus is simply left under the upper lip so that nicotine can be absorbed through the gums. You don't "chew" on it and it doesn't make your mouth produce any excess saliva.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
BeBen*

Made 50$ couple years back for a survey/test they were doing because apparently it was coming to Canada...must have been in 06 or 07

Damn thing sucked, i hated it

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
No, Snus is Swedish steamed tobacco that you keep in your mouth. Different from chew.

It's not roasted like chewing tobacco and therefore less pyrolizing and less carcinogens are made (think eating steamed toast versus burnt toast) so it's much healthier.

I don't know where to find any in Calgary, I heard it was sold as a trial in Calgary and Edmonton a few years ago by DuMaurier.

Sweden has the mostsnus users in the world, and has theloswest tobacco related cancer rate in the world
Your post is kind of funny, sort of an add for snus use! I still doubt it is very healthy in the long term.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Okay, it's a form of tobacco you put in your mouth and chew on that is not called "chewing tobacco". Happy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

I mean really, it may as well be an argument over semantics practically. It isn't chewing tobacco, it's tobacco you put in your mouth /rolleyes.

It's in a bag instead, and people put it under their lip instead of cheek, woopty doo. Bottom line it's a form of tobacco you put in your mouth. Haven't tried it I guess but how much better than chewing tobacco can it honestly be? Is it really that different???

It's not chewing tobacco because you don't chew it, it's a pretty simple concept.

It's much better than chewing tobacco by the way. It gives you a nice little buzz and it's highly addictive.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Snuff?

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
I don't do "it".

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Your post is kind of funny, sort of an add for snus use! I still doubt it is very healthy in the long term.
It probably isn't healthy, but when compared to cigarettes and most other tobacco products it basically looks harmless.

Old
03-25-2011, 01:36 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
It probably isn't healthy, but when compared to cigarettes and most other tobacco products it basically looks harmless.
Indeed sounds better then most other tobacco products but the nicotine alone is not great for the human body.