HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok, the question has got to be asked (Leighton)...

View Poll Results: Do you keep Leighton as starter?
Yes 61 73.49%
No 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
There is a huge difference between playing in playoff and in regular season. Yes he's goo right now. But can he play more than 60 games /season?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
I think you should keep him.

He was a pretty good prospect for Hawks at one time but got thrown into the fire behind a terrible team.

Then Tallon dumped him (Along with Anderson a yr later).

Both had good potential at time

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:42 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I'd be okay with it, as I feel his performance warrants being resigned, but I would be a little worried at the same time. If we keep both him and Boosh I would like them to split the season in half, because as mentioned by Joe Big Bear in post 51 I'm not sure how able he would be to handle more than that.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 05-19-2010 at 02:12 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I think we should keep him as a starter. For all that Leighton and Boosh has done for us, they deserve to stay here and play.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Terence Peterman

I think one of the biggest keys (and what could turn into a factor come the summer) is his demeanor.

That being said, this thread never existed. Too early to exist. It's just a twinkle in our collective fan eye.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

In an uncapped NHL I would say go for a true and proven #1 and sign Leights for a backup, place Boosh with the Phantoms as depth -- waiving him up wouldn't be a great gamble since no Cap loss would be involved -- I would look for in-house development and let Leights fight to take over the job... All the while having that true #1 on board. BUT, this is the Cap Era and the cap space is tight and valuable. I think they have proven that they can do quite well with the goalies they have and a top flight goalie coach in Reese. As I posted earlier, I can live with Leights and Boosh until they prove otherwise or an in-house goalie is ready for prime time. The team seems to like them both and is playing very well infront of them. They feel secure enough not to stay back and play too cautiously, with the understanding that they can pick them up in most mistakes.

That said, even in the pre-Cap Era the Flyers did not put a lot of bread out for their goalies... But that was Clarke and he spent well at other positions. Clarke in no longer here, now they have the Cap, long term players... and not very much space. Seems the only place to make that up is between the pipes.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I still think it is wrong to assume that Leighton didn't give a **** in Carolina or miraculously got much better the day after he was picked up. Leighton tried his best to stop every single shot he has ever faced in his entire career. The change that occurred is the HoF defense in front of him. I'd be pissed for him if he didn't get a good paycheck to be a backup next year (whether here or somewhere else) but I'd rather look for a better solution.

Turco (for cheap) or Ellis would work. That way if they **** the bed we can pop Leighton back in and see what's what.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I think one of the biggest keys (and what could turn into a factor come the summer) is his demeanor.

That being said, this thread never existed. Too early to exist. It's just a twinkle in our collective fan eye.
It does NOT exist in Homer's World. It is only an off day topic to banter about. What we say has no bearing and any decisions will come this Summer and only after many things are considered... Not the least of which is has to be Leight's demands.

Old
05-19-2010, 04:01 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Don't know if this was posted yet, good read on Leighton and his family, there's a possibility he'll be realistic knowing what we can offer him and take potential stability.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Le...038/story.html

Quote:
Leighton is a free agent at season's end, and to this point, has been offered no olive branch to suggest he has a future with the franchise.

"I'm not quite sure what Philly's got planned for goalies for next year," Leighton said.

"I know they've got Boucher signed for one more year.

"There's talk that they're looking elsewhere for another goalie. I'd love to stay here. I enjoy it here. Love the city, love the fans, the organization, the players.

"If I have to go elsewhere, then I guess I'll be on the road again. But that's not what I'm thinking about right now. My focus is on the playoffs. We'll worry about that summer."
Also a couple funny things about his daughter, seems they both feel Pronger's protective presence!

Quote:
Even Ella is coming to realize that her dad is doing something remarkable.

"Normally, she names all her stuffed animals after other players," Jennifer said.

"She really loves Chris Pronger. Chris Pronger is her buddy. She has a big poster of him on her door in Philadelphia in the hotel, because she says he's going to watch over her while she sleeps."

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Don't know if this was posted yet, good read on Leighton and his family, there's a possibility he'll be realistic knowing what we can offer him and take potential stability.

Also a couple funny things about his daughter, seems they both feel Pronger's protective presence!
Little kids are so damn cute. Just curious; how old is Ella?

EDIT: Never mind, I found out that she is four. A very adorable age.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 05-19-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post

That was a fantastic read, thank you so much for posting it.

It puts what is going on in a great perspective, too. It must be incredibly hard for him to be doing what he is doing and having absolutely no stability in his life... selling his house on the off day between games and then going back to a hotel room.

If we do not give this man a contract to at least be our backup I will be very upset, not only because he deserves it from his play, but he deserves it as a person, too.

That being said, I am not too worried about it because the Flyers have always went above and beyond for their own. Even if they don't win the cup I am sure Snyder will repay Leighton for this run regardless.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Flyers are going to go after Price, I feel like if they fail to land him Leighton will be our starter next year.

If we get Price:
Starter: Price
Backup: Leighton
AHL: Boucher (possibly find a team for him)

If we don't get Price:
Starter: Leighton
Backup: Boucher

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:12 AM
EasyMac

I think his play has earned him a contract for next season. There isn't a lot of cap space to get a high end goalie (ie Nabokov), and compared to the other options on the free agent market, there is no guarantee they will be an upgrade:

Marty Turco - has shown in the past to be a top goalie but has slowed down. Plus how much of a salary cut will he take considering his high salary this year.

Dan Ellis - Similar to Leighton in that he has never proven himself to be a starter (seasons of 44, 35 and 31 games). Will he be an upgrade to Leighton? Plus I imagine he will cost a lot more.

Chris Mason - Most likely an upgrade on Leighton, but earned 3 million last season.

Antero Nittymaki - Would be amazed if they went that route.

Toskala/Theodore/Biron/Budaj/Auld - Not likely to be any better.

I think the best bet is a 1 year, 1.5 million one-way contract. It gives Leighton a bit of stability and guaranteed money for once in his career, and allows the Flyers to give him a chance to prove himself fully without a long-term commitment in case he fizzles out. Or they could go a 2 year, maybe 3.2 million contract. That will give time for the younger goalies to develop:

2010/11:
Leighton
Boucher

2011/12
Leighton
Bobrovsky

2012/13
Bobrovsky
Eriksson

Plus it will be a low cap hit for the 2011/12 season when some big names will have to be re-signed.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Voted yes.

He's really grown on me.

I'd be willing to take a risk on a guy that has done this well since coming here. If Bobo and or Sunshine are the real deal Leighton can hold us over till one of them are ready.

Reese is a genius by the way.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
I think his play has earned him a contract for next season. There isn't a lot of cap space to get a high end goalie (ie Nabokov), and compared to the other options on the free agent market, there is no guarantee they will be an upgrade:

Marty Turco - has shown in the past to be a top goalie but has slowed down. Plus how much of a salary cut will he take considering his high salary this year.

Dan Ellis - Similar to Leighton in that he has never proven himself to be a starter (seasons of 44, 35 and 31 games). Will he be an upgrade to Leighton? Plus I imagine he will cost a lot more.

Chris Mason - Most likely an upgrade on Leighton, but earned 3 million last season.

Antero Nittymaki - Would be amazed if they went that route.

Toskala/Theodore/Biron/Budaj/Auld - Not likely to be any better.

I think the best bet is a 1 year, 1.5 million one-way contract. It gives Leighton a bit of stability and guaranteed money for once in his career, and allows the Flyers to give him a chance to prove himself fully without a long-term commitment in case he fizzles out. Or they could go a 2 year, maybe 3.2 million contract. That will give time for the younger goalies to develop:

2010/11:
Leighton
Boucher

2011/12
Leighton
Bobrovsky

2012/13
Bobrovsky
Eriksson

Plus it will be a low cap hit for the 2011/12 season when some big names will have to be re-signed.
I pretty much agree on all points. I like Mason but worry about the possible cap hit. His style would do well in Philly.

The only thing I slightly disagree with is the 1 year deal. I think he wants a longer term contract and I'm sure someone will give it to him now. I'd be fine with a 2 or 3 at the right numbers.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:54 AM
McNasty

I don't want to see a long term deal. I would be ok with bringing him back on a low dollar one year deal to see how he can deal with being the guy. I also feel like they would have to go ahead and get a potential young starting goalie. I'm still not sold on Leighton, we could certainly do worse but I just feel like the defense has their work cut out for them when hes in net.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I don't want to see a long term deal. I would be ok with bringing him back on a low dollar one year deal to see how he can deal with being the guy. I also feel like they would have to go ahead and get a potential young starting goalie. I'm still not sold on Leighton, we could certainly do worse but I just feel like the defense has their work cut out for them when hes in net.
Bobrovsky and Eriksson

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Haute Couturier

Leighton has exceeded our expectations and has done everything asked of him and then some. Many of us have been waiting for the other shoe to drop and so far he continues to prove us wrong. He is a feel good story and it would be amazing if he emerged as the goalie we've been waiting for. It would be nice if he could finally find that job stability that he and his family need.

That being said, I still do not want him back as starter unless he wins the Cup (which he may). While he has been great, it's still too small of a sample size for me to be convinced that he is the number 1 we've been waiting for. We've seen far too many mediocre goalies go on to have a great season only to fall off the next year. I still have a hard time believing that a guy who has struggled to remain a NHL goalie has suddenly gotten it and developed into a #1. I have a hard time believing Jeff Reese is some magical goalie guru who fixed Leighton when every other goalie coach failed. Especially considering Reese had little success in Tampa. You think Leighton's other coach's never made the same suggestions to him? Leighton's regular season splits suggest a regression will take place next year. I'd be surprised if he replicates his success, but I'd be thrilled for him if he could. I'm just not willing to gamble that he will although a Cup win will make it a lot easier to do so.

A great GM/evaluator has to be careful not to fall in love with a player when things are going well over a small sample. You have to be very candid in your assessment of a player. When the Oilers went on their Cinderella run Kevin Lowe fell in love with a lot of the unlikely heroes from that run and they all received long term contracts. Every single one of those contracts turned out to be a mistake. Holmgren has to be careful to not to do the same. I think doling out a 2-3 year deal to Leighton will likely be a mistake.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
If we keep Leighton, we need a 1b to go with him, so we would need to upgrade Boucher

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:08 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Leighton has exceeded our expectations and has done everything asked of him and then some. Many of us have been waiting for the other shoe to drop and so far he continues to prove us wrong. He is a feel good story and it would be amazing if he emerged as the goalie we've been waiting for. It would be nice if he could finally find that job stability that he and his family need.

That being said, I still do not want him back as starter unless he wins the Cup (which he may). While he has been great, it's still too small of a sample size for me to be convinced that he is the number 1 we've been waiting for. We've seen far too many mediocre goalies go on to have a great season only to fall off the next year. I still have a hard time believing that a guy who has struggled to remain a NHL goalie has suddenly gotten it and developed into a #1. I have a hard time believing Jeff Reese is some magical goalie guru who fixed Leighton when every other goalie coach failed. Especially considering Reese had little success in Tampa. You think Leighton's other coach's never made the same suggestions to him? Leighton's regular season splits suggest a regression will take place next year. I'd be surprised if he replicates his success, but I'd be thrilled for him if he could. I'm just not willing to gamble that he will although a Cup win will make it a lot easier to do so.

A great GM/evaluator has to be careful not to fall in love with a player when things are going well over a small sample. You have to be very candid in your assessment of a player. When the Oilers went on their Cinderella run Kevin Lowe fell in love with a lot of the unlikely heroes from that run and they all received long term contracts. Every single one of those contracts turned out to be a mistake. Holmgren has to be careful to not to do the same. I think doling out a 2-3 year deal to Leighton will likely be a mistake.
You make a good point, but how much do you think Leighton would make annually in a 2-3 year deal? I think he would make 1-1.5M/year in a long-term deal, especially since he really wants one so that he can settle down for once.

Even if Shooter falls in love and it turns out to be a mistake in that Leighton can't be a starter, then he is still only making marginally above average backup money, not too much risk in that risk v. reward scenario, imo, especially because the reward could be through the roof.

That being said, I can't wait for 2-3 years from now when Bobo and Sunshine are fighting each other for the Calder!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think he absolutely should be kept. He has saved this season twice now. He has shown that he can be at least solid. He has been spectacular at times and has been straight up consistent. That is what the Flyers need. I'm not saying give him a 5-year $5 million a year deal, but he should definitely be resigned.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
We have no idea if he can handle a load of like 60 games. We would have to get a 1b to go with him like Chris Mason or Dan Ellis

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
We have no idea if he can handle a load of like 60 games. We would have to get a 1b to go with him like Chris Mason or Dan Ellis
Well, he did play 61 games in the 2007/08 season (58 with Albany, 3 up with the 'Canes). So he has shown in the past he can handle a deent work load (most other seasons he was around 40-50 games). If the backup can play 25 games, I don't think it would be too much for Leighton to handle the other 57 games. Now whether or not Boucher can handle 25 games is another question.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
phlocky

I'd first just like to say "Hi" to everyone, I've been gone for a while and just don't have the time to get on much anymore. I really miss talking hockey with many of you guys.

Second, GO FLYERS!!!!!

Third, great thread, I was thinking to myself that this needed to be asked and it really is the reason I MADE the time to get on today. This is how I see, he's good enough to give us a chance to win just about every night and is plenty good enough to get us the win against MOST teams. I think that much of his sucess (and all our goalies over the past few years) is the solid defense we are playing in front of him. Against most teams an average goalie like Leighton (or even Biron the last 2 seasons) is good enough to get the job done. HOWEVER, against ELITE teams or teams with a lot of elite players where our defensive play just can't shut them down for the entire game/series and we NEED our goalie to step up and make game saving saves, then just average goalies just don't cut it.

I really hope we make it to the finals and play the Sharks because I think we can stop their top line and I'm not too worried about their secondary scoring and I feel pretty good about our chances against them. However, if we were to play the Hawks in the finals I don't think it would go very well for us (Hawks in 5 is my prediction if we face them ). If we do play the Hawks in the finals I think that series will give you the answer we all seek regarding Leighton as our goalie solution of the present/future. If he plays well and either carries us to the cup or at least plays well enough (making incredable saves when called upon) then sure, I can buy into him for next year. However, if he plays "average", like say Biron did last year against the Pens, then no, we clearly won't be able to beat the "elite" teams like the Hawks, and Pens and Caps with just average goaltending even with an exceptional top 2 pairings we can put out on the ice on a nightly basis.

I like what Leighton has done but I'm not 100% sold yet. Boston and Monteal aren't true tests, beat the Pens, Caps and/or the Hawks in a 7 game series THEN you'll have me convinced.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
BernieParent

My primary reason for appreciating what Leighton has done is that it, at least temporarily, cuts down the ever-present offseason rhetoric that "the Flyers are desperate for goaltending" and sets Holmgren in a better negotiating / trading position than his usual posture akin to a near-dead man staggering out of the desert looking for a glass of water. The success of Leighton and previously marginalized types like Halak and Niemi should also toss some cold water on the offseason goaltender market.

That being said, I completely agree with those who are comfortable with our flavour-du-jour only if Leighton can split time with someone else on a 1a/1b basis. I'd be pleased with a 1-year $800,000 contract to see how a little stability fits Leighton, and looking ahead to what the prospects look like on the farm next season.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote