HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok, the question has got to be asked (Leighton)...

View Poll Results: Do you keep Leighton as starter?
Yes 61 73.49%
No 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
The Flyers have decided he is the answer he has been looking for according to San Filippo

Quote:
Do they stick with the original plan and deal for a young goalie, or do they conclude that they’ve had that guy for the past six months, but that he was being overlooked as a stopgap?

“Michael Leighton has been just fantastic,” the front-office source said. “Who knew we had the guy we needed already here?”

Leighton is proving that his 16-5-3 regular-season record was no fluke. And the front-office source has seen the light.

“Absolutely we’ll want to keep him here,” he said.

The big question: Can the Flyers afford him? Leighton is kick-saving his way to a hefty raise from the $600,000 he made this season. A safe estimate is that he’ll command a salary in the neighborhood of $2 million — and maybe a bit more if his name is etched on the Cup.

That could be tough for the cap-strapped Flyers. Or maybe not.

“We’ll make it happen,” the source said.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Terence Peterman

No way Leighton gets two million, let alone the 2+ the article is suggesting. This is regardless of playoff outcome.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
You make a good point, but how much do you think Leighton would make annually in a 2-3 year deal? I think he would make 1-1.5M/year in a long-term deal, especially since he really wants one so that he can settle down for once.

Even if Shooter falls in love and it turns out to be a mistake in that Leighton can't be a starter, then he is still only making marginally above average backup money, not too much risk in that risk v. reward scenario, imo, especially because the reward could be through the roof.

That being said, I can't wait for 2-3 years from now when Bobo and Sunshine are fighting each other for the Calder!
Yeah, I don't think he will make much, but Holmgren hasn't exactly handled poor contracts well in the past (Gauthier, Jones).

My biggest fear, though, is that he he and Boucher will play to their career averages and could really sink the Flyers next year.

We also can't just assume that our defense will mask any problems. Last year Giguere was horrible and he had both Pronger and Niedermayer playing in front of him. Teams can make it easier on a goalie, but they can't turn a mediocre goalie into a star.

It looks like the Flyers have fell in love and are poised to make the same mistake they always do. I pray we win the Cup this year.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Komarov47

If the Flyers win the Cup Leigthon will defenitely be re-signed. But the question is as #1 or #2? And so what to do with Emery?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
If the Flyers win the Cup Leigthon will defenitely be re-signed. But the question is as #1 or #2? And so what to do with Emery?
Emery's career is possibly over, no point in worrying about that now. (He was also only signed for 1 year)

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Emery's career is possibly over, no point in worrying about that now. (He was also only signed for 1 year)
I am still holding out hope that he is allowed to rehab at the Flyer's facilities and then if all goes well we give him a shot in the AHL in 2011-2012.

You could tell Emery really embraced this city with his tribute masks, for nothing else I will respect and appreciate him for that and wish him the best.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Garneij

Why chase an expensive free agent when our guy plays very well. And he is in no situation to ask for a big contract regardless if we take the cup or not.

Keep him. Give him a one year deal to find out if he is our man.

Garneij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
No way Leighton gets two million, let alone the 2+ the article is suggesting. This is regardless of playoff outcome.
I was thinking that if we keep Leighton he should get 1.5 million at the most. Even if he made 1 million that's already more than Boucher, who will make $925,000.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote