Notices

General Off-Topic Thread #1: This One's Retired For You

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Well the big question is why did they sell it here in the first place? It's hard to think that Bud doesn't sell well enough (even in "Miller country") that A-B needs to split the brand to recoup market share.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
05-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Well the big question is why did they sell it here in the first place? It's hard to think that Bud doesn't sell well enough (even in "Miller country") that A-B needs to split the brand to recoup market share.
It proved more popular than Bud Premium Ice Red Dry Lite Lime Draft.

Old
05-12-2010, 05:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Oh that would do it then.

Old
05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Mad Men just rocks.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Mich Golden has to be the worst beer I've had...except for Panther Ice Ale. Crack the bottle and smell the rotting corn...then take a swig and it's like water, backwash, and a hint of urine.

I also kind of like Bud Lite Lime, mostly with Mexican food. It's certainly a lot better than Corona with a lime in it (which is like a stronger version of Mich Golden to me), and cheaper. That has to be one of the most overrated beers ever, maybe Heineken is up along with it.

I'm not a hop guy at all. Surly Furious is undrinkable. I'm a big fan of wheat beers (although many of them have so much coriander it tastes like bologna) and brown ales.

My favorite vodka, going to pick some up tomorrow, is Sobieski Rye. It's the best tasting vodka I've had aside from Shaker's Rye, and it's only $12-14 for a 750ml bottle. Super clean taste, very little burning, mixes very well, much less of a pounding head the next day. I haven't talked to anyone who hasn't been very impressed.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Mich Golden has to be the worst beer I've had...except for Panther Ice Ale. Crack the bottle and smell the rotting corn...then take a swig and it's like water, backwash, and a hint of urine.

I also kind of like Bud Lite Lime, mostly with Mexican food. It's certainly a lot better than Corona with a lime in it (which is like a stronger version of Mich Golden to me), and cheaper. That has to be one of the most overrated beers ever, maybe Heineken is up along with it.

I'm not a hop guy at all. Surly Furious is undrinkable. I'm a big fan of wheat beers (although many of them have so much coriander it tastes like bologna) and brown ales.

My favorite vodka, going to pick some up tomorrow, is Sobieski Rye. It's the best tasting vodka I've had aside from Shaker's Rye, and it's only $12-14 for a 750ml bottle. Super clean taste, very little burning, mixes very well, much less of a pounding head the next day. I haven't talked to anyone who hasn't been very impressed.
Take this as constructive friend criticism and not me being a dick

Beer shouldn't need fruit in order for it to taste good...and that is sadly my conceited "I lived in Germany for 2 years and had real beer every day, not the dribble we have in the United States" talking. Of the light beers I've had, there are a few that are better, but Bud Light is most certainly not one of them....especially lime

If you haven't had Stoli Elit, you are missing out then again I don't mix vodka with anything either. Then again...this costs enough to make you not want to mix it with anything, but is long been considered the best tasting vodka available in the United States.

Quote:
the freezing method used to purify the vodka uses a very cold container, the impurities come in contact with the walls of the container and freeze there. the pure vodka is what is left in a liquid state. this is the old method used in russia when most vodka was homemade and the vodka batches were small and stored in freezing cold weather.

Old
05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Worst beer known to man: Mountain Crest. Hell it's so bad and cheap, I won't even buy that to beer boil brats.

Old
05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Even funnier in Spanish.

Old
05-15-2010, 06:49 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Everyone needs to try the Double Down just to say they did. I mean how can you go wrong with bacon and cheese wrapped between two pieces of chicken?
i saw an article on it vs. the iPad...it just showed a couple guys eating Double Downs and then navigating around on the iPad and while I know there are plenty of greasy sammiches out there, the grease coating that thing after a couple minutes has actually made me want to avoid it.

Old
05-15-2010, 06:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Worst beer known to man: Mountain Crest. Hell it's so bad and cheap, I won't even buy that to beer boil brats.
worse than Schlitz? Can't possibly be.

Old
05-15-2010, 08:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i saw an article on it vs. the iPad...it just showed a couple guys eating Double Downs and then navigating around on the iPad and while I know there are plenty of greasy sammiches out there, the grease coating that thing after a couple minutes has actually made me want to avoid it.
It's okay, but not something one should try more than once. As far as the grease goes, pictures don't do it justice. It's greasier than this guy:

Quote:
I haven't had Schlitz, but I'm guessing so since Mountain Crest didn't make a city famous.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

A whale of a story.

Old
05-16-2010, 11:45 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Wow that's awesome.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From an Atkins perspective, the grilled Double Down might not be quite so bad. Their grilled chicken actually has all the flavor of the crispy but way, way less fat.

Had some delicious Red Lobster last night. Good stuff. Only been there once before, so I had a little bit of as much stuff as I could afford.

And the video game Borderlands is amazing. Best graphics I've ever seen in a game, solid RPG shooter, wasted a lot of time so far on it.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

What the hell?
http://deadspin.com/5542795/

Old
05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Schlitz is good man. That "new old 1960's formula" or whatever they call it is a solid beer.

But if you're talking about this:

Then yes, its terrible.

Old
05-20-2010, 06:12 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well at least it's 5.9% Alc/Vol, so you know it will **** you up.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Well at least it's 5.9% Alc/Vol, so you know it will **** you up.
malt liquor will do that to you.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:38 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Schlitz is good man. That "new old 1960's formula" or whatever they call it is a solid beer.

But if you're talking about this:

Then yes, its terrible.
god yeah that's what i was talking about. my stomach hurts just thinking about it...i can taste puke.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:26 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
god yeah that's what i was talking about. my stomach hurts just thinking about it...i can taste puke.
funny story about puke...

I went to the applebee's by my house (right across the street from my place) last night for a nightcap. I know bartender gal, so she starts telling me how she got puked on at a bar, the previous weekend. She then shows me a picture. Well, the guy next to me was eating buffalo wings, and got so grossed out that he had to stop eating.
Needless to say he got a free meal.

Old
05-22-2010, 02:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
funny story about puke...

I went to the applebee's by my house (right across the street from my place) last night for a nightcap. I know bartender gal, so she starts telling me how she got puked on at a bar, the previous weekend. She then shows me a picture. Well, the guy next to me was eating buffalo wings, and got so grossed out that he had to stop eating.
Needless to say he got a free meal.
awesome! I wouldn't let a little picture of vomit throw me off my wings, but good on Applebees to accommodate the weak of stomach.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

You know that scene in Happy Gilmore where Joe Flaherty's character drives a car through the golf course and hits Happy? I almost had that happen tonight.

Old
05-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think I've finally figured out how to cook a perfect steak. Cast iron pan, lots of olive oil, high heat, a steak that's been sitting out all day to room temp, Montreal steak seasoning, about 5 minutes per side, then don't touch it for 10 minutes.

Seriously, the $7 petite sirloin ($3 with coupons!) had perfect char and was evenly deep pinkish red throughout. And as notorious as I am for overcooking, this one was so tender didn't even need any silverware (yes I ate a piece with bare hands).

Old
05-28-2010, 01:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
You know that scene in Happy Gilmore where Joe Flaherty's character drives a car through the golf course and hits Happy? I almost had that happen tonight.
This is it:
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1580615.shtml?cat=1

Old
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

+ =

Closed Thread