HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada at the 2010 World Championship

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2010, 11:29 PM
  #751
Klaus
Teemu!
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,735
vCash: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Well since this is worth the same as the Olympic gold, we will no longer be #1. IIHF ranking is messed up.
That's dumb. Russia puts up a performance at the Olympics so disgusting that their own Prez cancelled his appearance, but then they (will) win a tourny where they beat everyone's B/C team and suddenly they're number #1?

Ahahaha... oh well.

Klaus is offline  
Old
05-20-2010, 11:33 PM
  #752
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Who would have thought, Eberle and Tavares have chemistry and it took till the last 8 minutes of the game to put them together, suddenly they had some offence. Eberle, Tavares, and Duchene 2016 line!
Hopefully two years earlier.

timekeep is offline  
Old
05-20-2010, 11:39 PM
  #753
Tim Sobakin
 
Tim Sobakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
IIHF World Rankings be damned. Canada won the Olympics so we are still #1 in the world. End of story.
If you don't like that, send a better team next year and stop making excuses. End of story.

Tim Sobakin is offline  
Old
05-20-2010, 11:45 PM
  #754
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,233
vCash: 500
lol.
I don't recall this much complaining when Canada was ranked 2nd despite finishing 8th in Turin.

Zine is offline  
Old
05-20-2010, 11:47 PM
  #755
Klaus
Teemu!
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,735
vCash: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
lol.
I don't recall this much complaining when, a few years ago, Canada was ranked 2nd despite finishing 8th in Turin.
Yep well it was messed up back then too... And I think it was 7th we finished, not 8th. Not that it matters.

Klaus is offline  
Old
05-20-2010, 11:55 PM
  #756
Ilyeu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sobakin View Post
If you don't like that, send a better team next year and stop making excuses. End of story.
I'm sick and tired of all these Russian wise cracks.

This is the Canadian thread, don't want to contribute positively get out. If you want to be the best with second and third rate competition (in an olympic year) and be proud of it good for you, cheer for your Champions! God forbid, if real competition stared them in the face they would roll over and die. Oh wait! That happened didn't it in February for 2 weeks, and again in Turrin didn't it, oh wait it also happened in 2002, so close in 1998.... too bad no cigar.

Ilyeu is offline  
Old
05-20-2010, 11:55 PM
  #757
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
lol.
I don't recall this much complaining when Canada was ranked 2nd despite finishing 8th in Turin.
Finishing 7th in Turin was definitely a disappointing result, but I would guess the large majority of Team Canada fans will settle for winning 3 of the last 4 best-on-best tournaments. I think such performances have earned the #1 world ranking for Canada, regardless of the what system the IIHF uses to calculate their rankings.

Frank the Tank is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:04 AM
  #758
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sobakin View Post
If you don't like that, send a better team next year and stop making excuses. End of story.
Firstly, who said you could post in our thread?

Secondly, the Olympics are the only meaningful international tournament that was held this year. Canada won that tournament. Therefore, it is only logical to assume that as of right now, Canada is the top hockey nation.

Incognito is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:14 AM
  #759
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
I'm sick and tired of all these Russian wise cracks.

This is the Canadian thread, don't want to contribute positively get out. If you want to be the best with second and third rate competition (in an olympic year) and be proud of it good for you, cheer for your Champions! God forbid, if real competition stared them in the face they would roll over and die. Oh wait! That happened didn't it in February for 2 weeks, and again in Turrin didn't it, oh wait it also happened in 2002, so close in 1998.... too bad no cigar.
Where you not the guy that was doing the same thing as he is in the USA thread?

Drij is online now  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:17 AM
  #760
Tim Sobakin
 
Tim Sobakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Firstly, who said you could post in our thread?
lol What you gonna do? Tell your momma?

Quote:
Secondly, the Olympics are the only meaningful international tournament that was held this year. Canada won that tournament. Therefore, it is only logical to assume that as of right now, Canada is the top hockey nation.
Im not saying they are not top. Im just say you are way too cocky after winning Olympics. And it's not my fault that Crosby thinks that he is too "elite" for world cup. I guess he feels uncomfortable after being completely shut down by underdog Halak and co. I respect players like Tavares or Stamkos who showed up and battled for their team, but I also think that Canada fans should pay respect to other teams and players too.

Tim Sobakin is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:28 AM
  #761
Ilyeu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Where you not the guy that was doing the same thing as he is in the USA thread?
I wasn't trash talking and no I went in there just to talk and contribute. The Americans just got soft and a little sensitive that I asked a few wrong questions. I didn't even mention I was Canadian or even mention Canada. I didn't even have my Habs avatar then. Go figure eh.

Quote:
lol What you gonna do? Tell your momma?
Weren't you saying nice things about Canada earlier anyway? It's like you had only good things to say about Canada, from all your posts I read. Now, what the hell changed your tone?


Last edited by Ilyeu: 05-21-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Ilyeu is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:31 AM
  #762
Tim Sobakin
 
Tim Sobakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
I wasn't trash talking and no I went in there just to talk and contribute.

Im also here to contibute. But it seems that your prefer to whine rather to take wise man's advise.

Tim Sobakin is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:32 AM
  #763
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Guys, thanks for caring and making contributions with your opinions and thoughts on IIHF hockey. Watching it over herre is not easy, given the schedule, so when you say you don't care about the tourney, it's obvious that you don't refer to yourselves. I think we all agree that the WCH is not a true best off the best, and most hockey fans know and agree with that, but the tourney matters, as it is a time for those players and countries that normally don't get a mentioning to show that they can play too... Go Denmark! .... Finland did better than I expected too.

It may not always sit well with some European fans, but I for one love to hear two different sides although I may have slipped over a bit towards the NA view after all these years in the States. Nevertheless, without the Canadian point of view, the IIHF threads would be awfully boring.

Vancouver Canucks for SC in 2011 & 2012!

Ribban is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:35 AM
  #764
aBurmistrov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Firstly, who said you could post in our thread?

Secondly, the Olympics are the only meaningful international tournament that was held this year. Canada won that tournament. Therefore, it is only logical to assume that as of right now, Canada is the top hockey nation.
Sure sure

aBurmistrov is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:36 AM
  #765
Ilyeu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sobakin View Post
Im also here to contibute. But it seems that your prefer to whine rather to take wise man's advise.
sure sure, whatever you say bub.

Ilyeu is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 12:41 AM
  #766
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sobakin View Post
lol What you gonna do? Tell your momma?



Im not saying they are not top. Im just say you are way too cocky after winning Olympics. And it's not my fault that Crosby thinks that he is too "elite" for world cup. I guess he feels uncomfortable after being completely shut down by underdog Halak and co. I respect players like Tavares or Stamkos who showed up and battled for their team, but I also think that Canada fans should pay respect to other teams and players too.
Would you stop acting so immature? Insulting me doesn't prove anything.

The World Championships is not a relevant tournament to Canadians. The way we see it, it's not best on best, so it doesn't really matter much at all. Crosby is a Canadian. He obviously felt that his time could be better spent elsewhere, and I don't blame him. He helped his country take home Gold in the tournament that mattered. He played over 100 games this season, and he's earned a break after playing in back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals. I'm well aware of the fact that other countries have elite teams too. My initial post in this thread was to make a note of the fact that it is simply ridiculous that Canada may lose their top spot ranking due to an insignificant event such as the Worlds.

Incognito is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 02:04 AM
  #767
Tim Sobakin
 
Tim Sobakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
He played over 100 games this season, and he's earned a break after playing in back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals.
Same is for Malkin. Still he is playing for his team on the tournament and not making excuses about what is matters for him and what's not.

Tim Sobakin is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 03:01 AM
  #768
Drudkh
Registered User
 
Drudkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Bathes in a giant vat of Eurolove smack dab in the middle of Incognito's and Ilyeu's Canada thread.

Drudkh is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
  #769
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Would you stop acting so immature? Insulting me doesn't prove anything.

The World Championships is not a relevant tournament to Canadians. The way we see it, it's not best on best, so it doesn't really matter much at all. Crosby is a Canadian. He obviously felt that his time could be better spent elsewhere, and I don't blame him. He helped his country take home Gold in the tournament that mattered. He played over 100 games this season, and he's earned a break after playing in back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals. I'm well aware of the fact that other countries have elite teams too. My initial post in this thread was to make a note of the fact that it is simply ridiculous that Canada may lose their top spot ranking due to an insignificant event such as the Worlds.


I am willing to bet that the IIHF doesnt think this tourney insignificant that's why they use it to rank countries. IIHF controlls the olympic seeding as well, so there you go. Send a better team next time. Instead of sending excuses.

Though it is bit silly (very silly in fact) to hold a WC on a olympic year. I guess its all about the money...

Tomas W is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 03:10 AM
  #770
Ilyeu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudkh View Post
Bathes in a giant vat of Eurolove smack dab in the middle of Incognito's and Ilyeu's Canada thread.
what? Why are you in Penns, have a Russian flag and Finland avatar.

There was on positive at the end:


This is turning point. Stamkos blowing a power play advantage. See the clock, it should be Canada 5-4 on the PP, but it's 5-3 because of indiscipline break downs from Canada and they get the goal on this play shortly after.

Ilyeu is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 04:37 AM
  #771
orvik
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Sure. I will tell you the reaction I will have, it will be absolute shock because nobody really cares about this tournament here. It is just a fact of life. I like the tournament, but I am obsessed with hockey.
How about tears on Canadian fans' faces? I remember them on the previous Championship and 2 years ago when Canada lost. And yesterday so many disappointed Canadian faces! And after that u wanna say you don't care about??? It is impossible to believe!

orvik is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 08:19 AM
  #772
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvik View Post
How about tears on Canadian fans' faces? I remember them on the previous Championship and 2 years ago when Canada lost. And yesterday so many disappointed Canadian faces! And after that u wanna say you don't care about??? It is impossible to believe!
And people say Canadian fans on HF are arrogant...

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 08:32 AM
  #773
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'd just like to know where all these Canada bashers were in January.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
  #774
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'd just like to know where all these Canada bashers were in January.
They were ever present then, and they reached a crescendo on Feb 21. For some reason it became awful quiet the week after and stayed that way until the WHC tournament began.

Frank the Tank is offline  
Old
05-21-2010, 10:57 AM
  #775
Grabovski
Грабовский правил
 
Grabovski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gomel, Belarus
Country: Belarus
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sobakin View Post
If you don't like that, send a better team next year and stop making excuses. End of story.


'nuff said.

Grabovski is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.