HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Phoenix Signs Oliver Ekman-Larsson To Entry-Level Contract

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2010, 07:29 PM
ducky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I am definitely good with that. The SEL is, in my opinion, the 2nd best hockey league in the world besides the NHL.
Agreed.

I would rather OEL play in the SEL than the AHL.

It may be better for his development to play one year in the SEL - and consider Phoenix has Goncharov and Summers vying for spots in Phoenix too - we can't fit them all in in the same season.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
hao chi

If OEL doesn't make the team this year, I don't mind him developing another season without using up a year on his ELC.

Old
05-16-2010, 04:34 AM
DowJones

According to the article he will play in Frolunda if he doesnt take a top-4 spot at the Coyotes D.

OT: He is the third youngest player (after Forsberg and Backstrom) who has taken a spot in the Swedish World Championship team in modern era.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:53 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowJones View Post
According to the article he will play in Frolunda if he doesnt take a top-4 spot at the Coyotes D.

OT: He is the third youngest player (after Forsberg and Backstrom) who has taken a spot in the Swedish World Championship team in modern era.
Wow that made me feel all tingly you mentioning those names.

Old
05-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Kaizen

Sweden-Canada today on TSN2 at 12 noon MT. I'm not sure if there's an online feeds for the foreigners.

Edit: the sched includes TSN.ca so there must be a link somewhere on the site.

Old
05-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Robotbike

I'd like to see our fans learn this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6JwUFYQn3c

Old
05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Kaizen

After the first period I was convinced OEL needs some more seasoning but his game improved as the game went on.

I'm still of the opinion that a season in the SEL is the best thing for him. Defence is a much harder position to master than many poeple realize.

Did Frolunda do a deal with Leksand for his rights?

Edit: A year in Goteburg (Frolunda) would give OEL the chance to learn from Christian Backman (he's paired with him right now during the WC) who played 6 seasons in North America as well as 6 in the SEL.

Frolunda would appear to have a strong blue line if OEL plays there.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...023372009.html

Last edited by Kaizen: 05-21-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old
05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

I watched spurts of the game and he looked good. Made smart decisions in all three zones. Nearly got caught pinching on the blue-line and had to race to keep up with speedy Mason Raymond, but recovered and rubbed him out behind the net. Another year in the SEL would be fine by me, but he looks good already.

Old
05-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Kaizen

In the first period of the Canada game OEL was having some troubles around his own net, which is understandable for a young man his size.

A season is the SEL and maybe some playoff time with SA (they've gotta make the playoffs again one of these years) will help OEL to take that top 4 spot he wants. As someone mentioned, waiting that extra year to use up a year of his ELC would appear to be the best case scenario for everyone.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:17 AM
icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Did Frolunda do a deal with Leksands for his rights?
His contract with Leksand ended after this season so no deal had to be made. But even if there was a contract Leksand probably would have let him go, he's done with second tier hockey.

Old
05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Edit: A year in Goteburg (Frolunda) would give OEL the chance to learn from Christian Backman (he's paired with him right now during the WC) who played 6 seasons in North America as well as 6 in the SEL.

Frolunda would appear to have a strong blue line if OEL plays there.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...023372009.html
That roster is a bit old, here's one with all current players under contract for next season. Mikko Mäenpää who is playing for Finland at the WC should also be signed but nothing has been officially announced yet.

Frölunda hada a similar deal with Dallas over Philip Larsen this season. After the SEL season was over he played two games in the NHL, and is now playing at the WC for Denmark.

Old
05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
ducky

I see us adding Goncharov (and maybe Summers) this year and OEL next season.

I think we need OEL to step in as a top 4 dman when he is ready. If Tippett is not sure OEL is ready for that workload (and the powerplay) he should return to the Swedish Elite League for one season.

Old
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd be absolutely SHOCKED if Summers ended up a Coyote full-time, this season. I very seriously doubt Goncharov will, either. This is Dave Tippett. Summers has yet to play pro, and Goncharov has yet to play in NA.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Yeah.. I think I can let go of my excitement for OEL this season. One less year of his ELC, and one more year of him getting proper minutes in a top league.

I can entirely see myself following the rest of the gaggle in Stone, Goncho, Summers and (crosses fingers) a healthy Ahnelov. And I love that Gonch and Stone are righties. That'll be a lot more entertaining than seeing if Schelmko, Heshka or Lepisto make the team.

Old
05-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Nah... OEL probably just had a quite Lidstrom like game. Propelling the offense in transition, while being a steady threat in his own end. At least I'm hoping
Lidstrom was/is a stay-at-home defenceman who got points via amazing outlet passes, and on the power play. OEL is more offensive, a better skater and while being a tad more physical. On top of this he plays like a veteran despite being 18 years old. He's making the little plays that look easy, but that most other players mess up on a regular basis. He has a great vision and crisp passes and never seems to be out of position. He always seems to be back in time when he does go forward, so his hockey smarts is obviously pretty high.

This kid is better than Lidstrom at the same age, perhaps even much better.
I'm seeing a mix between Ray Bourque and Nicklas Lidstrom. Yeah, I bet that'll make a lot of people either laugh or - but I've never seen an 18 year old defenceman as poised and calm as he is, he's got all the tools to become a legend.

At this point, I'd say he's even better than Adam Larsson if he progresses the same up til his's almost 19.. Much better than both Karlsson and Hedman for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Swedish national team fans are basically drooling themselves stupid over this kid. That's a good sign. Calling him better than Hedman is pretty remarkable. When you can't beat Lidstrom, go out and draft your own I guess.
He's been the best Swedish defenceman in the WC, perhaps the best defenceman period (haven't seen all the other games, but who's challenging him at this point?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I am definitely good with that. The SEL is, in my opinion, the 2nd best hockey league in the world besides the NHL.

No, KHL is clearly better - not even close.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:09 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Yeah.. I think I can let go of my excitement for OEL this season. One less year of his ELC, and one more year of him getting proper minutes in a top league.

I can entirely see myself following the rest of the gaggle in Stone, Goncho, Summers and (crosses fingers) a healthy Ahnelov. And I love that Gonch and Stone are righties. That'll be a lot more entertaining than seeing if Schelmko, Heshka or Lepisto make the team.
Lepisto is all but a shoo-in for a roster spot unless he really takes a step back at camp. He was a new man after the Olympics and one of our most reliable defenders in the Detroit series. Good speed, puck handling, and despite his size, does not get outmanned physically. Never quits on the play. I was one of his biggest detractors over the first couple months, but he blossomed into a really solid player.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:12 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Lidstrom was/is a stay-at-home defenceman who got points via amazing outlet passes, and on the power play. OEL is more offensive, a better skater and while being a tad more physical. On top of this he plays like a veteran despite being 18 years old. He's making the little plays that look easy, but that most other players mess up on a regular basis. He has a great vision and crisp passes and never seems to be out of position. He always seems to be back in time when he does go forward, so his hockey smarts is obviously pretty high.

This kid is better than Lidstrom at the same age, perhaps even much better.
I'm seeing a mix between Ray Bourque and Nicklas Lidstrom. Yeah, I bet that'll make a lot of people either laugh or - but I've never seen an 18 year old defenceman as poised and calm as he is, he's got all the tools to become a legend.

At this point, I'd say he's even better than Adam Larsson if he progresses the same up til his's almost 19.. Much better than both Karlsson and Hedman for sure.

He's been the best Swedish defenceman in the WC, perhaps the best defenceman period (haven't seen all the other games, but who's challenging him at this point?)
I only watched half a period and he stood out to me. His hockey IQ is really good. That ringing endorsement is encouraging!

Old
05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
His contract with Leksand ended after this season so no deal had to be made. But even if there was a contract Leksand probably would have let him go, he's done with second tier hockey.
Does a team (Leksand in this case) not hold a player's rights even after a contract expires?

I suppose the alternative is unfettered free agency - a concept the NHL clearly isn't ready for.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:44 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Agreed.

I would rather OEL play in the SEL than the AHL.

It may be better for his development to play one year in the SEL - and consider Phoenix has Goncharov and Summers vying for spots in Phoenix too - we can't fit them all in in the same season.
How would a year in the SEL be better for his development? A year of experience on North American ice would be much better for him.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Lepisto is all but a shoo-in for a roster spot unless he really takes a step back at camp. He was a new man after the Olympics and one of our most reliable defenders in the Detroit series. Good speed, puck handling, and despite his size, does not get outmanned physically. Never quits on the play. I was one of his biggest detractors over the first couple months, but he blossomed into a really solid player.
Yeah, agreed. Not trying to slight Lepisto at all, just that he was practically penciled in as the 7th Dman once we acquired him.

In contrast, I'm saying it will be interesting to see how this new crop of rookies fares, compared to one another, the rest of the players and the players from the previous training camp.

Old
05-24-2010, 07:44 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Would a year in the SEL help or hurt his development? Very obviously it would be a benefit. Would a year in the NHL help or hurt his development? I don't think anyone can say for sure. Kyle Turris was brought up the year after his draft, and that proved to be much too soon.

Personally, I'd let the kid grow in Sweden's top league for a season, and then bring him over for a full-time gig. Better safe than sorry, right?

Old
05-24-2010, 07:49 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Would a year in the SEL help or hurt his development? Very obviously it would be a benefit. Would a year in the NHL help or hurt his development? I don't think anyone can say for sure. Kyle Turris was brought up the year after his draft, and that proved to be much too soon.

Personally, I'd let the kid grow in Sweden's top league for a season, and then bring him over for a full-time gig. Better safe than sorry, right?
I'm a big SEL fan so seeing him stay there is fine with me. I prefer it to the KHL and AHL(for Europeans anyway)

Old
05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Would a year in the SEL help or hurt his development? Very obviously it would be a benefit. Would a year in the NHL help or hurt his development? I don't think anyone can say for sure.
Not "very obviously." 3 seasons in the SEL did wonders for Gistedt didn't it. The guy can't even play pick-up hockey in northern Arizona's CHL Sundogs. That in itself tells me that the AHL would be better than the SEL for OEL's North American hockey development if for no other reason than to get him on North American sized sheets of ice. NHL call up players from the AHL not the SEL. If his goal is the NHL than play him against future/ past NHL talent in the AHL.

Old
05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
Not "very obviously." 3 seasons in the SEL did wonders for Gistedt didn't it. The guy can't even play pick-up hockey in northern Arizona's CHL Sundogs. That in itself tells me that the AHL would be better than the SEL for OEL's North American hockey development if for no other reason than to get him on North American sized sheets of ice. NHL call up players from the AHL not the SEL. If his goal is the NHL than play him against future/ past NHL talent in the AHL.
OEL has been playing in the Allsvenskan league, which is basically a step below the SEL, although not in the same way that the AHL is a step below the NHL(in that it's a relagation situation over there). The SEL is probably the third best hockey league in the world. Gistedt being a bust has less to do with the SEL and more to do with him simply not developing, as projected, as a goaltender. Ekman-Larsson is not Gistedt. He's also not a goalie. The situations are very different. Would OEL benefit from spending more time on North American ice? Certainly. Would the AHL be a good situation for his development? Probably. Would I expect him to accept what would likely be less than half of his expected annual salary to do so? Probably not.

I'm suprised at the lack of patience for prospect development, around here. I can't really imagine us learning this lesson any more clearly, or any more recently than we just did.

Old
05-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
The Coyotes announced about a minute ago that he's officially signed.

Last edited by Dolemite: 05-24-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Closed Thread