HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leslie Treff Of HF To Discuss Prospects/NHL Combine/Draft Tonight At 8PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2010, 08:18 AM
  #26
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Burmistrov is not a player the rangers should take at 10. He looks like a 2nd line center, no better ceiling than Anisimov, from what I hear.

Johansen is head and shoulders better. Kabanov and Kuznetsov from the Russian dept. are both more skilled players.

Short story, he is a "safe" pick. Our team has plenty of "safe" players.

We could trade down to 15 and probably still get him.
you hear wrong bro. i have no idea where you heard this but i completely disagree. did you watch any barrie colts games this year at all ?

3 things

burmistrov plays at a very high speed. he does everything fast. hes an exceptional skater. hes plain fast, shifty and elusive. um.... arty is not.

burmistrov has perhaps the best passing skills in this draft. hes pure intuition with the puck. he can stickhandle in a phone booth and hes faster with the puck. his stick skills are world class and he can create chances with his ability to control teh play. um, arty isnt close here at all.

burmistrov plays the pk, the pp and can be a threat to score at any time in any situation. he thinks the game at a high level and play a very sound defensive game. he understands where to be and hoe to defend. this is the only similarity with those 2 as arty has a very sound defensive game as well.

so in conclusion, if you want to compare arty and burmy we can.

burmistrov is arty with more speed, more playmaking ability, more scoring and more talent.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:08 AM
  #27
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
What was her take on Skinner?
She didn't consider him a safe pick. Her thought was that picking at 10, we can't afford to miss, and therefore we can't go for a boom or bust type player. She seems to think Skinner is that type of player.

I disagree. As along as he doesn't have work ethic issues, and everything I've ever read about him would suggest just the opposite, I think he's going to be a player. The kid is a goal scoring machine. He doesn't have the measurables that some other players do in terms of size and skating, but he knows how to find the back of the net.

50 goals in 64 games during the regular season and another 20 goals in 20 games in the playoffs. That kind of production is hard to ignore just because he isn't the biggest or fastest. He just turned 18 and he's listed at 5'10" 197lbs (by OHL and HF, Hockeydb lists him at 5'10" 182 lbs). If he's really that big, then he'll be fine in the NHL even if he doesn't grow any more.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...aft&id=5150644

Quote:
Rangers GM and head coach Steve Spott, who was an assistant coach for Team Canada's World Junior team in Saskatoon in December, stands by his man.

"I've had the good fortune of coaching a lot of the kids in this draft, and I believe Jeff is the best natural scorer in this draft, and that includes Hall and Seguin," Spott says. "Jeff doesn't have the speed of Tyler and Taylor, but he's a threat offensively every time he's on the ice. He is hands down the purest goal scorer."

Skinner is aware that his speed and size (he's a shade over 5-10 and 197 lbs) are the only knocks against him. He's doing what he can off the ice -- quick-feet drills and ladders in the gym -- to get faster, and hopes that, at 17, he still has some room to grow. But Spott, who compares Skinner to Mark Recchi, says Skinner's height will have no bearing on his NHL career. "Recchi is still in the league because of his skating and his strength, and Jeff is a Recchi-type player for me.
I know some people think #10 is too high for him, but I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
  #28
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
if we turned our #1 pick @ 10 for perhaps a guy like nino ugh.... into say

jeff skinner and a low 2nd/early 3rd and then took K2 with that pick

i would do backflips

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
  #29
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
As would I, I like Nino, but if we traded down to pick Skinner, thats also another move I could get behind.

Nabbing Burmistrov @ 10 I still dont like. Johansen I could tolerate, he looks a lot like Jordan Staal from what I have seen of him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM
  #30
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
As would I, I like Nino, but if we traded down to pick Skinner, thats also another move I could get behind.

Nabbing Burmistrov @ 10 I still dont like. Johansen I could tolerate, he looks a lot like Jordan Staal from what I have seen of him.
the only russian i would take at 10 would be tarasenko. other than connolly- if healthy- there isnt another guy i like that much to use our #10 on. unlike many, im not that high on johansen at 10.

im with you on thinking that we could grab burmistrov and perhaps move down a few spots. if we come up at 10 and connolly, johan and tarasenko are all off the board, i look to move down a few spots and take the best player available and that would be burmy or skinner at that point. either of those guys at 15 would be fine.

but if we come up at 10 and tarasenko is there, we take him. period.

i go into this draft hoping we are able to move down and get an additional pick. not having that 3rd is really a bummer this year.

i like the idea of having 3 picks in the top 70 players. we could have once heck of a draft if we had 3 picks from 15-70.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
  #31
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you hear wrong bro. i have no idea where you heard this but i completely disagree. did you watch any barrie colts games this year at all ?

3 things

burmistrov plays at a very high speed. he does everything fast. hes an exceptional skater. hes plain fast, shifty and elusive. um.... arty is not.

burmistrov has perhaps the best passing skills in this draft. hes pure intuition with the puck. he can stickhandle in a phone booth and hes faster with the puck. his stick skills are world class and he can create chances with his ability to control teh play. um, arty isnt close here at all.

burmistrov plays the pk, the pp and can be a threat to score at any time in any situation. he thinks the game at a high level and play a very sound defensive game. he understands where to be and hoe to defend. this is the only similarity with those 2 as arty has a very sound defensive game as well.

so in conclusion, if you want to compare arty and burmy we can.

burmistrov is arty with more speed, more playmaking ability, more scoring and more talent.
1 thing:

If he is all that you claim, shouldn't he be a top 3 pick?

How on Earth could he fall to 10?

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:33 AM
  #32
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
1 thing:

If he is all that you claim, shouldn't he be a top 3 pick?

How on Earth could he fall to 10?
pretty simple. hes russian and also, there are players with more upside ahead of him. i expect hell go top 15 though.

remember, the comparison was with artem not the other players in this draft.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
  #33
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you hear wrong bro. i have no idea where you heard this but i completely disagree. did you watch any barrie colts games this year at all ?

3 things

burmistrov plays at a very high speed. he does everything fast. hes an exceptional skater. hes plain fast, shifty and elusive. um.... arty is not.

burmistrov has perhaps the best passing skills in this draft. hes pure intuition with the puck. he can stickhandle in a phone booth and hes faster with the puck. his stick skills are world class and he can create chances with his ability to control teh play. um, arty isnt close here at all.

burmistrov plays the pk, the pp and can be a threat to score at any time in any situation. he thinks the game at a high level and play a very sound defensive game. he understands where to be and hoe to defend. this is the only similarity with those 2 as arty has a very sound defensive game as well.

so in conclusion, if you want to compare arty and burmy we can.

burmistrov is arty with more speed, more playmaking ability, more scoring and more talent.
Boy, you are really selling arty short.

Arty is a better goal scorer, Burmistrov is a much better passer. Skating wise hes also definitely better, but on the more talent I disagree. I think ppl are really selling Anisimov short on his talent. Kid has superb hands, and a world class hockey mind. Again, he was a rookie, most kids don't set the world on fire their first year.

My disagreement here isn't with your assessment of Burmistrov, but rather your severe understating of Anisimovs offensive talents. Kid was a 40/40 guy on the pack, you don't do that as a 2nd year pro without talent, especially when you play a well above average borderline selke type defensive game (at the AHL level).

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
  #34
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
the only russian i would take at 10 would be tarasenko. other than connolly- if healthy- there isnt another guy i like that much to use our #10 on. unlike many, im not that high on johansen at 10.

im with you on thinking that we could grab burmistrov and perhaps move down a few spots. if we come up at 10 and connolly, johan and tarasenko are all off the board, i look to move down a few spots and take the best player available and that would be burmy or skinner at that point. either of those guys at 15 would be fine.

but if we come up at 10 and tarasenko is there, we take him. period.

i go into this draft hoping we are able to move down and get an additional pick. not having that 3rd is really a bummer this year.

i like the idea of having 3 picks in the top 70 players. we could have once heck of a draft if we had 3 picks from 15-70.
im not a fan of tarasenko, granted I have only seen him play a handful of times, but I just think hes kind of enigmatic...almost reminds me of a cross between nigel dawes and nikolai zherdev...in that hes got world class talent like Z, but hes kinda like Dawes in that if he doesnt put the puck in the back of the net, you don't see him much at all. Nino, to be fair, is kind of the opposite who you always seem to notice out there. with that said I dont think Nino is as talented as some people make him out to be...I think a lot of his goals have been on shots that goalies in the NHL stop rather easily...I think he may be another Ryan Callahan, not that it's a bad thing, but we really don't need another Cally, what we need is another Gaborik, or a player of his ilk...If Connolly is there, holy crap we have to take him. If he's off the board, Id go Burmistrov first, then Johansen. If all 3 are off the board then I'd go Nino. If all 4 are somehow off the board, then I would trade down and take Skinner.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:15 AM
  #35
The Mouth
Registered User
 
The Mouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Leslie by far is always my favorite guest because I learn about something new about the Rangers.

As an older guy I never payed attention to the draft and juniors, and this board along with Leslie's visits have added an incredible dimension to me being a Ranger fan.

To answer a posters question, I am not a season ticket holder.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.