HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Hardy Arrested Under Suspicion of Felony Sexual Abuse

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2010, 01:04 PM
MJones31

vCash: 1550
On the news they said there was enough evidence to arrest him

Old
05-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

vCash: 500
This is fricken bizarre. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Considering it is his daughter making the accusation, personally I am inclined to believe it, but that said I will certainly reserve judgment on him. It's hard to believe that someone's child would lie about their parent in that kind of situation. That she's not a minor makes it all the more strange.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Your conduct in this thread is very unbecoming. It seems as if you've gone into total spin mode to preserve the reputation of this man for whatever reason. I can understand withholding judgment until the rest of the story is available, but talking about his importance to the team and how it may be untrue because crazy girls do crazy things is deplorable in this situation. You don't know either party in this matter personally, and neither do I, but to make those kind of assertions without the full story is more than a little disheartening to read.
Wow. That came off as harsh I am just someone who has known such people who have used such accusations to put people behind bars for years of their life and have gone around laughing and admitting it is made up. I am just the counter-voice. The allegation is heinous and if he did it, the necessary punishments need to follow, but in this country, the typical reaction to such an accusation is usually pre-judgemental. I am just pointing out that he is innocent to this point, nothing has been proven, and that we should wait for the full story. I am also pondering the legal consequences should they arise.

All-in-all, I have said that I liked him as a coach, that people do crazy things, that nothing is proven yet, and that the situation gets legally diverted than typical accusations because she is not a minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Lawyers, is this because She is not a minor?
Somewhat. Because she is not a minor, and the charges right now are contact without permission, things change to a degree. I don't know what D.C. law is about incest, but the charges certainly do change over her age.

This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions! - Bob Miller
Old
05-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Ollie Weeks

Son of a *****.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Wow, not what I expected in the news regarding the Kings today! Just thinking about it makes me gag. I hope it's not true, but as someone mentioned, to arrest him they have to have pretty good evidence. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds and how the Kings handle the matter on the business side of things. You'd think if it goes to trial, etc. they would let him go and replace him.

I'm also pretty sickened that Telos used the stupid girl card. As you said, I know you're trying to play devils advocate, but you don't know either party. Right now, he is innocent until proven guilty but he was arrested for something very serious in my eyes.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:22 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
I am with Telos on this one. False accusations can destroy someone's life. One of two things likely either happened. Either the daughter is telling the truth and Hardy has a problem that he will go to prison for. Or, she is pissed at him for something unrelated and is using the charge to either get back at him or as a cry for help. No one on the Board has any information as to which scenario is true. What we do know, I believe, is that Hardy has lived the first 51 years of his life without a hint of scandal. IMO, this temporarily buys him the benefit of the doubt.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:22 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Innocent until proven guilty (unless you're OJ Simpson).

For all we know, his daughter could be a lying, drug addict or maybe even worse. In any case, let's withhold our judgement.

Last edited by The Black1963: 05-21-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old
05-21-2010, 01:23 PM
onlyalad

If this is true we may never know. After some time the family will try and get the daughter to recant her statement (through cash or family loyalty reasons). If it is false and she recants we will assume that she was convinced to do so. Either way he is now stuck with this for life. The Mods have already been kept busy deleting jokes on this board.

I don't know if he is guilty or not, but I am going to side with Telos and wait until facts or witnesses come out. Which they may never be heard. I know someone whose daughter accused the step mom of hitting her with closed fists. She called the cops and filled out a report. Turns out that she was mad that the step mom would not let her go to the movies and made the whole thing up. I am not saying that the story is a lie, I am just saying I will wait before making up my mind.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:35 PM
wicker

It's more than a little disturbing to read some of the crazy girl or revengeful girl comments in regards to such a seriously horrible subject. If he's guilty, then his butt needs to be behind bars.

Maybe she is perfectly sane and is just gathering the courage to speak out against this, since it is also her name that will get bandied around willy nilly. I have a friend who works with abuse victims, and cases like this are not out of the norm, sadly. The only difference in this case is that they are under a media spotlight.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
It's more than a little disturbing to read some of the crazy girl or revengeful girl comments in regards to such a seriously horrible subject. If he's guilty, then his butt needs to be behind bars.

Maybe she is perfectly sane and is just gathering the courage to speak out against this, since it is also her name that will get bandied around willy nilly. I have a friend who works with abuse victims, and cases like this are not out of the norm, sadly. The only difference in this case is that they are under a media spotlight.
is it really that hard to understand that the exact opposite of that could have happen? is that not possible? i think thats all the others are saying. and i agree with that.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

It is more being optimistic. A false accusation is the absolute best case scenario. Not only does it clear the charge and gain a big step in salvaging the man's reputation (though it will never be fully repaired), but the girl would be safe and the most serious crime committed would be lying to an officer or perjury. That is still a serious offense, but miles from sexual abuse, or at the very worst ****.

If true, my heart goes out to her, and I wish her the maximum justice she could possibly receive, but accusations have to be proven true, not the other way around. I am just as maddened by criminals getting off scot-free than perjury sending innocent people to jail, but this is the justice system we have to try and ensure that innocence doesn't find their way behind bars, even though it is not perfect, it is the one we are going to follow.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Maybe she is perfectly sane and is just gathering the courage to speak out against this,
Just for the sake of argument, why (finally) do it on vacation in DC?
Wouldn't it make more sense to do it from home?

Old
05-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Yikes! That is all I will say.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:58 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I just don't know what to say in regards to this right now. It's too shocking for me to wrap my mind around. It's just another dose of the reality that we truly don't know these people who are shown on our TVs and beamed into our homes on a game-to-game basis. I've met Mark, and his wife Kristina. I know that their daughter was graduating from Georgetown this week. By all appearances, Mark and Kristina seemed happy together, but we all know about appearances and fleeting glances, don't we?

In time, I suppose we'll know more of the facts on this. Like everyone, we should probably wait and see before rushing to judgment one way or the other. I hope for the best for their family; don't know what else to do at this point.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
you have got to be kidding me...

Old
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

damn

Old
05-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Shellz

Well, this is not go what so ever.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

http://www.news8.net/news/stories/0510/738347.html

Quote:
According to the incident report, the victim told police she awoke early Friday to find a male relative inappropriately touching her. The incident took place at the Mayflower hotel. Police were called to the scene about 1:15 a.m.
The current accusation as it stands. There is just a million questions that come to mind that will inevitably follow and be scrutinized by attorneys and lawyers. A very unfortunate situation at hand for the Hardys and a pretty tough spot for the Kings organization.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:08 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

First off, let me state I am heavily biased on this issue. I am a defense lawyer and I know the man, for Chrissake's.

Now, I am unaware of the actual code sections under which Harpo was arrested. The language is very VERY important. Nor do I have the discovery (i.e. Police Reports, witness statements etc) to begin to analyze the facts. The reality is NONE OF US DO!

If I go from the reported facts, in California, thats likely to be charged under as a sexual battery, punishable as either a misdeamor or a felony.

As to opinion, I detest any of you, who have no background in this area, forming opinions based on superficial facts and coming to the conclusion that "he must've done something" for the police to arrest him. I would have you all excused from any jury I pick as already having formed your opinion before hearing ALL THE FACTS. Likewise if you already BELIEVE that the girl made it up, I can bounce you for cause (prejudice -- preformed beliefs) Closely related,but not to the same degree, are people who say "f he did it, fry him." Of course we all want people who break the law punished (me not so much depending on the laws) but you are basically willing to form part of the lynch mob IF, and we wont know IF until its all said and done.

It is currently just as plauible that he did it, as that she made it up. There could also be other entirely blameless explanations that none of us have thought of or considered. Remember that truth is stranger than fiction every single day and then some.

Now, as a defense attorney, based on the facts I have heard, and knowing that they must have been on vacation in DC, something is missing from this story that makes it suspect. A complete set of facts is the most glaring problem.

Moreover, this doesn't sound like a child molestation case with allegations of ongoing conduct. From the scant information and I stress SCANT, there was a single touching of the women's genital area. We dont know context, intent, or nature of contact. So put your torches down people. WE dont even know if the prosecutor for the District of Columbia will in fact file charges.

So as bad as this sounds, and it is just awful for any person to have to go through, hold off on your judgments.

/Rant

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 05-21-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
http://www.news8.net/news/stories/0510/738347.html

The current accusation as it stands. There is just a million questions that come to mind that will inevitably follow and be scrutinized by attorneys. A very unfortunate situation at hand for the Hardys and a pretty tough spot for the Kings organization.
This thing is about to blow up IMO.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
First off, let me state I am heavily biased on this issue. I am a defense lawyer and I know the man, for Chrissake's.

Now, I am unaware of the actual code sections under which Harpo was charged. The language is very VERY important. Nor do I have the discovery (i.e. Police Reports, witness statements etc) to begin to analyze the facts. The reality is NONE OF US DO!

If I go from the reported facts, in California, thats likely to be charged under as a sexual battery, punishable as either a misdeamor or a felony.

As to opinion, I detest any of you, who have no background in this area, forming opinions based on superficial facts and coming to the conclusion that "he must've done something" for the police to arrest him. I would have you all excused from any jury I pick as already having formed your opinion before hearing ALL THE FACTS. Closely related,but not to the same degree,are people who say "f he did it, fry him." Of courdse we al want people who break the law punished (me not so much depending on the laws) but you are basically willing to form part of the lynch mob IF, and we wont know IF until its all said and done.

Now, as a defense attorney, based on the facts I have heard, and knowing that they must have been on vacation in DC, something is missing from this story that makes it suspect. A complete set of facts is the most glaring problem.

Moreover, this doesn't sound like a child molestation case with allegations of ongoing conduct. From the scant information and I stress SCANT, there was a single touching of the women's genital area. We dont know context, intent, or nature of contact. So put your torches down people. WE dont even know if the prosecutor for the District of Columbia will in fact file charges.

So as bad as this sounds, and it is just awful for any person to have to go through, hold off on your judgments.

/Rant
I love you.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:

Is it really more disturbing to read the crazy girl or revengeful girl comments than it is to assume that he is more likely guilty than not?

IMO, the fact that Hardy is being charged with inappropriate contact instead of sexual assault or sexual battery is significant. So far nothing has been reported that the contact was sexual in nature. I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine an argument between the two over an object, drugs, money, etc. where the daughter shoved whatever it was down the front of her pants and the enraged Dad tried to retrieve it. Daughter calls police - father admits to trying to retrieve whatever it was, not expecting that to be a crime.

Mods, I think it would be appropriate to change the title of this thread to what he is actually charged with - inappropriate contact - until proven otherwise.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Is it really more disturbing to read the crazy girl or revengeful girl comments than it is to assume that he is more likely guilty than not?

IMO, the fact that Hardy is being charged with inappropriate contact instead of sexual assault or sexual battery is significant. So far nothing has been reported that the contact was sexual in nature. I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine an argument between the two over an object, drugs, money, etc. where the daughter shoved whatever it was down the front of her pants and the enraged Dad tried to retrieve it. Daughter calls police - father admits to trying to retrieve whatever it was, not expecting that to be a crime.

Mods, I think it would be appropriate to change the title of this thread to what he is actually charged with - inappropriate contact - until proven otherwise.
Agreed. Changed it to misdemeanor sexual abuse, as that is the official charge.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Hendrydoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown."
As a victim of sexual abuse myself I'm very surprised to find myself laughing at anything in this post. Also I'd advise caution to anyone rushing to judgment, much too serious for that.

Closed Thread