HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Babchuk wants return a Cane

Old
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
I should expand more on what I mean. If both are going to be in the top 4, and if Pothier isn't back, the only people behind them will be Carson, Picard, Harrison, and AHL defenders. If Pitkanen goes down, which will most likely happen at some point, we better hope we have no other injuries. God help us if Pitkanen and Gleason go down at the same time....
Agreed entirely. As much of a Babchuk fan as I am and as good as I think McBain can be, we're in for a world of hurt if we don't have QUALITY depth. I just hope that JR realizes that good teams don't just let players like Pothier walk simply because they have a few guys that could be bottom pairing NHL guys in the minors.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:38 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

vCash: 500
Bab. Chuk. Babchuk.

That is all.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

What do we know about Pothier's interests? Is he looking to return back "home," or is he interested in staying?

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

I think he will be considered as soon as we get the results of the offers to Martin, Sutton and Clark.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
geehaad

The only free agents that JR will consider this summer are the ones whose agents come to him peddling their resumes. JR has already publicly stated that he won't play in the market this summer, which means to me that he's planning to put his ducks in a row using pieces he already has at his disposal and let everything come to him as icing on the cake.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
What do we know about Pothier's interests? Is he looking to return back "home," or is he interested in staying?
Going by his exit interview, he'd love to return.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
The only free agents that JR will consider this summer are the ones whose agents come to him peddling their resumes.

Well, I take this as he isn't going to make offers to big name UFA's. namely Volchenkov. Andy Sutton would be a great fit.

Old
05-20-2010, 04:41 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
Well, I take this as he isn't going to make offers to big name UFA's.
I hear ya, but that's not noteworthy. He never does that...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:19 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I hear ya, but that's not noteworthy. He never does that...
Thankfully, most of the time. Imagine this season, but with one big UFA signed last summer. Where would we be? In the playoffs? Doubtful. In cap hell? Yes. And no flexibility to make changes if the budget had been broken signing some big name UFA to a two or three year contract.

What would have happened with all the young players? Would we know what we know about Sutter or McBain?

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
Thankfully, most of the time. Imagine this season, but with one big UFA signed last summer. Where would we be? In the playoffs? Doubtful. In cap hell? Yes. And no flexibility to make changes if the budget had been broken signing some big name UFA to a two or three year contract.

What would have happened with all the young players? Would we know what we know about Sutter or McBain?
It would have been fine to sign one of the top guy last season....it just would have meant not wasting money on Cole and likely finding a cheaper alternative to Aaron Ward. And we would have had 1 less spot to fill this offseason. Sutter would have been in the lineup regardless. They didnt hand him a spot, he played his way into one. And McBain would have still made an appearance at the end of the season

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

Wow, you really don't have much of a clue do you? A big UFA last year would have meant MORE youth opportunity...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Wow, you really don't have much of a clue do you? A big UFA last year would have meant MORE youth opportunity...

I'd have rather we spent $5 million on a top four d-man than spent the same amount on Cole/Kostopoulos/Yelle. I think that's pretty clear by now.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Idk, last season is last season, I see no reason why we can't acquire one of Martin/Sutton/Clark

Old
05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

He may be more than this and I just don't know it, but I've never seen Sutton do anything but make boneheaded plays or take boneheaded penalties.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:08 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Sutton was a beast for Ottawa in the playoffs... but for the most part, Sutton DOES make boneheaded plays all the time. But there's stretches of games he's a good shutdown d-man.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

A Sutton signing would remind me of the Aaron Ward signing.....it might have been good a couple years ago, but it might look like we signed the guy 1 year too late

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
A Sutton signing would remind me of the Aaron Ward signing.....it might have been good a couple years ago, but it might look like we signed the guy 1 year too late
Agreed. JR made a point to make this team young at the deadline. Adding a 35 (Don't quote me) year old defenseman doesn't make much sence and just seems like Ward 2.0. I'd rather him sign a younger guy like Jurcina and try and keep with the youth movement we've started.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

35 years old is correct...

too old. thought he was around 31-32

Old
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
caley

Basically a done deal now.

Quote:
General manager Jim Rutherford said today that Babchuk and his agent recently came to Raleigh to discuss the defenseman signing a new contract and returning to Carolina next season. Babchuk played last season with Avangard Omsk (KHL) in Russia.
"It was a very productive meeting," Rutherford said. "We can't sign him until July 1 because he played in Europe last year, but I'm very comfortable we will sign him at that point."

http://Read more: http://blogs.newso...#ixzz0pj6FJjFD

In the same article, he says the team will continue talking to Ray Whitney, has made no decision on Samsonov or Brind'Amour, and have not decided on offering contracts to Legace or Pothier, yet.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
caniac247

All I have to say is that I hope his attitude has changed. We seriously don't need his bad attitude in the locker room this year especially with all the 'supposed' young kids we are going to have (if you believe JR when he says we'll have a lot of minimum contracts on the roster).

Sounds like his new agent his steering him in the right direction so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

since when has he been a bad locker room guy?

I have never heard anything like that

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:36 AM
teddygmr

"We can't sign him until July 1 because he played in Europe last year, but I'm very comfortable we will sign him at that point."

I don't understand this .......several players who played in Europe last year have already signed with NHL teams (Harju signed with Tampa, Kelsey Wilson signed with Nashville, Goncharov with Phoenix, Alexandrov with Boston, Skachkov with St. Louis). Seems odd.
I like Babchuk a lot but I wonder if this might be a sign and trade deal and he could be moved at the Draft. Might be better for everyone if he got a fresh start, especially with a team with at least one Russian. It sounds like there is a strong chance that Samsonov won't be back in Carolina.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Guy

^^ I would also like to see some form of proof of this "locker room cancer" business that folks like to shout whenever Babchuk's name is mentioned. I've never seen anything in print or otherwise that could be used to back up such a statement. It always sounds to me like it's a baseless rumor some Babchuk hater spouted off and it just caught on like wildfire. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong when I see proof.

BTW, I don't necessarily think Babchuk's the answer to our defensive problems, but he is an asset we have and we need all of those we can get.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:15 AM
caniac247

To me there is a difference between locker room cancer and bad attitude. If any one can honestly sit here and tell me Babchuk does not have a bad attitude, then please enlighten me.

From my observations (practices/warm-ups/games), he seems like the outcast. I wouldn't call that a locker room cancer, i'm sure its just his personality. He isn't as loose as the rest of the crew.

I do recall the time when he was sent to the minors and he spatted off how there are worse players on this team who should be going over him, but it's because of the contract status and not based on play. Whether true or not, I just don't think that was appropriate.

He has a new agent now, who seems to be steering him in the right direction. Maybe he has grown up and matured. And who knows, maybe JR has a sign/trade in place. Wouldn't that be nice, then this whole Babchuk debate can end.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:25 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANES View Post
^^ I would also like to see some form of proof of this "locker room cancer" business that folks like to shout whenever Babchuk's name is mentioned. I've never seen anything in print or otherwise that could be used to back up such a statement. It always sounds to me like it's a baseless rumor some Babchuk hater spouted off and it just caught on like wildfire. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong when I see proof.
I don't know what would constitute proof, aside from a player going on the record with a newspaper. And even then, that's just one guy's opinion. So, I guess we need at least two players calling Chip and telling them they hate Babchuk's guts in order for folks to be satisfied that there won't be any "welcome home" banners for this guy on the first day of camp?

Well, I can't reach that standard of proof, although I will quote you something told to me during the 2008-09 season by somebody who would know: "The guys (pause for emphasis) *HATE* him."

I know, with 100% certainty, that that is the case. You, of course, have the right to believe whatever you want to believe.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote