HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hell is Everybody's Problem with Mike Richards?

Old
05-21-2010, 11:04 AM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Believe it or not, despite throwing big hits, Mike Richards might be one of the most non-dirty Flyers. He doesn't really do dirty things. He's always trying to throw a good check, work along the boards, stop a rush, or put points up.

We don't actually have a lot of dirty players.

Pronger in his past was pretty dirty, but he isn't all that dirty here.

Hartnell and Carcillo are. I'd still say the dirtiest game I see at any point of a season is Briere when he goes into a rage. He gets really bad.
I completely agree. I expected Pronger to be really dirty based on his past. I hadn't really gotten to see much of him with him being in the West forever. I honestly cannot think of a single incident this year that I'd consider dirty.

Hartnell and Briere I'd say are our dirtiest by far. Followed by Carcillo, who I don't think tries to be dirty at all, but just sometimes makes a bad decision.

Richards I don't think is the slightest bit dirty, the only questionable thing is the Booth hit.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I completely agree. I expected Pronger to be really dirty based on his past. I hadn't really gotten to see much of him with him being in the West forever. I honestly cannot think of a single incident this year that I'd consider dirty.

Hartnell and Briere I'd say are our dirtiest by far. Followed by Carcillo, who I don't think tries to be dirty at all, but just sometimes makes a bad decision.

Richards I don't think is the slightest bit dirty, the only questionable thing is the Booth hit.
Personally I hate dirty plays that are dangerous. I'm okay with Mike Richards' huge open ice hits as long as he keeps himself from headhunting on the ice. He makes those hits without the intent to injure. He's one of the most competitive players I've ever seen. He wants to beat you, no matter the cost, but he's extremely respectful of other players.

I've seen a few crosschecks right in the numbers from Pronger where the guy goes headfirst into the boards. I can only think of maybe 3-4 this season that made me cringe and think, "Now why did you have to do that?" It's probably happened a few more times than that. He definitely hasn't been very dirty at all. I think a lot of those were just bad timing things honestly. I think he's really tried to bottle up his dirty side here. That or people had the wrong opinion of him to begin with, which is also entirely possible.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Personally I hate dirty plays that are dangerous. I'm okay with Mike Richards' huge open ice hits as long as he keeps himself from headhunting on the ice. He makes those hits without the intent to injure. He's one of the most competitive players I've ever seen. He wants to beat you, no matter the cost, but he's extremely respectful of other players.

I've seen a few crosschecks right in the numbers from Pronger where the guy goes headfirst into the boards.
I can only think of maybe 3-4 this season that made me cringe and think, "Now why did you have to do that?" It's probably happened a few more times than that. He definitely hasn't been very dirty at all. I think a lot of those were just bad timing things honestly. I think he's really tried to bottle up his dirty side here. That or people had the wrong opinion of him to begin with, which is also entirely possible.
Like that one time in the first round that he almost killed Zajac instantly before he even had a chance to hit the boards?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Terence Peterman

Just throwing that out there. I know it's Carcillo in the pic, but it applies to us as a franchise in general, and specifically when these threads/questions come up.

Just embrace the hate. We're not going to convince the jury of our HF peers that we're not as bad or dirty or inhumane as they've been cajoled into believing.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:30 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I dont know about anyone else, but I love it when our migit gets mad and spears some dude....

or takes down the giant Chara lol

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:36 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Like that one time in the first round that he almost killed Zajac instantly before he even had a chance to hit the boards?
Yeah that. I was pretty pissed about Pronger doing that. No need for that.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:49 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's a dangerous combination of the internet and the New NHL bringing in a bunch of fans who can't understand how this game should be played.

Every little thing is debated and exaggerated to death.

Richards doesn't hit you in the numbers (Hollweg or Kaleta), he doesn't aim for the head (Cooke I guess is the most recent example of a headhunter), he doesn't do the stickwork (Gomez in this series has been disgraceful), he stands up for his teammates with situational fights and removes his bucket if he's fighting an honourable player.

He plays the game the right way. He's only dirty if you hate the Flyers.

But I guess in a world where Lappiere laughing like a nutbag and taunting a team he's trailing in a series to from the safety of the bench is something worth celebrating...Richards is the dirtiest **** on the planet.
This is exactly right. There was a time when someone would have come off the bench and wiped that smirk right off Lappiere's face. It wouldn't have been Richards either, because that's not his game, and never has been.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 01:31 PM
MsConduct11

The funniest thing to me about this is even the other players go out of there way to say that Richards isn't a dirty player. Lecavalier got hot with some reporters when asking him about the Cooke/Richards hits. Saying everyone in the league knows Mike Richards isn't a dirty hockey player and those hits weren't comparable. Hell even Savard acknowledged he wasn't a dirty player after the Cooke incident (of course he did start whinning during playoffs this year after he had enough of getting knocked around by Richie)

Not sure if anyone mentioned it because I haven't read this whole thread but Don Cherry had a great thing about Mike last night on Coach's Corner reguarding his physical play and I believe at the end he said something like "now this is how you play hockey"

MsConduct11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
As an outsider who is not a big fan of Richards I find he act's like a bit of a brat and without the character of a captain with his war with your local media

The media will write #### that you don't like or agree with but you don't act like an ### back to them.

Outside of that I would say the Booth hit was an unnecessary hit. Just shows the lack of respect by today's players to do that type of hit as the opposing player doesn't have any means to defend himself.

Outside of that I think he is a hell of a player and will continue to be one of the best 2 way players in game.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Vinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Is it the Booth hit?
As inane as it sounds, yes. People are always quick to label players as dirty/cheap/cowardly and given the devastating result of this entirely clean hit, Richards began to be viewed negatively. "Fans" of the game then began chomping at the bit for any justification for their dislike -- specious as it may be. That's why you've seen idiots claiming the Krejci hit was dirty when (I believe) even he stated it was perfectly fine.

Not a Flyers fan, not a Habs fan (despite my location), and Richards is easily my favorite player in the league. Everything you'd want in a forward: skill, heart, phenomenal hockey IQ, physicality, etc.

Vinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 View Post
Wow!!! I just went to the Montreal board and read the Richards discussion. Mike Richards intentionally tries to hurt people...
No ones saying he sucks. Any Habs fan would take him on our team in a heart beat. But it does look like he hits to hurt people. Even pro tough hockey Don Cherry thinks it...starts at 3:00.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
I've been noticing it alot on the boards. I think its ****ing stupid. He's been nothing but the man his entire career. Is it the Booth hit? I mean that LEGAL unbelievably sick hit? Yeah he got a concussion but I mean this isn't the ballet. The hate is quite lame considering he's the only captain in the NHL whose name appears under badass in the dictionary.
why do we give a **** about what other people say?

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:49 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
No ones saying he sucks. Any Habs fan would take him on our team in a heart beat. But it does look like he hits to hurt people. Even pro tough hockey Don Cherry thinks it...starts at 3:00.

Just watched it. Cherry ended it with saying that's how you play the game tho. I didn't see him have really a problem with it.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:55 PM
UseYourAllusion

I love Mike Richards. Also glad that Cherry analysis has him burying Malkin, cause that his was huuuge. (~3:40)

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

Well...duh. Of course he hits to hurt, why else would he hit? You're not going to have anyone thinking twice if you just give um a nudge.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
TheLegendkiller

Just went over to the Habs board to see what they were saying and I found this 6 page *****-fest. This thread is an embarrassment to hockey fans everywhere.

Quote:
Mike Richards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So apparently you can skate across the ice, take 10 strides, leave your feet, lead with an elbow, aim for the head and try to end AK's career and instead almost discloate your own shoulder when you miss and hit the boards and not get called?

I wonder if he is related to this Mike Richards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIXcGOr4-04

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:05 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Cherry also says Richards plays for keeps and plays the game the right way.

If that's a criticism, I'm sure Richie would take that any day.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I'd hate to see what fans would say today if Messier, C. Lemieux, Scott Stevens and G. Howe were playing...
You got that right.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
As an outsider who is not a big fan of Richards I find he act's like a bit of a brat and without the character of a captain with his war with your local media

The media will write #### that you don't like or agree with but you don't act like an ### back to them.

Outside of that I would say the Booth hit was an unnecessary hit. Just shows the lack of respect by today's players to do that type of hit as the opposing player doesn't have any means to defend himself.

Outside of that I think he is a hell of a player and will continue to be one of the best 2 way players in game.
Anyone who thinks Richards has been a brat towards the media simply because he didn't like what they wrote doesn't know the whole story.

The media around here generally sucks, particularly when it comes to the Flyers because it's rare for the Flyers to be cool (outside of their own large regular following). This is a time when it's cool to be a Flyers fan.

Earlier in the year (read: regular season) when it wasn't, it was just more bush league reporting. Writers would try to insinuate or incite particular things that held no relevance to the team's play and were largely outdated. While they haven't always been outdated, they've always been irrelevant. They just don't know when to quit because they think they're being edgy, when all they're really doing is making their own job tougher and creating stress for a lot of people out of thin air.

As for him being dirty, the only questionable hit in his career was the Booth hit. That's it. He's a star who doesn't have pure talent in such an amount that allows him to forget the physical part of the game, and is largely received negatively because of it. It's not his fault people seem to have forgotten hockey's a hard-nosed sport.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Tags27

Quote:

As far as bratty players go I suggest you look up: Kane, Patrick. No need to bring the taxi story up, but Richie has never been embarrassed over anything like that. Carry on.

If Booth wasn't admiring his pass he might have been able to brace or defend himself from the hit. It's not a lack of respect when the shoulder is tucked & the hitter is crouched & not lunging at the hittee. What it is though is a lack of on ice awareness.

Tags27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

I love that I live in a world where Briere is dirty player-- maybe the nastiest-- on the Flyers.

It means even our snipers are MFers.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Viller

Ive been stuck listening to games on French channels at work and its pretty hilarious how the media is painting every single Flyer as dirty little *****.

Thing that popped out the most yesterday was them saying Coburn's bread and butter was stirring **** (fighting, agitating, bla bla) and injuring other players. Ive missed only a couple of games since the lockout and I dont even remember him ever fighting or getting into player's faces. They even said Carcillo was like a kitten compared to him....

They also said at some point that the league should investigate Richards and next time he injured someone (Krejci was the main guy they were talking about, mentionned Booth once) he should be suspended indefinately. I mean wtf...

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Gags1288

Quote:

The media thing is somewhat valid in my mind, actually. It just showed an immaturity, although I think he learned a lot from the olympics and has been a much better captain since.

The Booth thing is absolute ********. The onus is on the player to protect themselves, not to rely on the opposition to pull up. Booth got rocked into next week because he put himself in a vulnerable position, not because Mike Richards did something wrong. If the next time a player skates with his head down near Mike Richards doesn't get rocked, I'm gonna be pretty freaking pissed at him. You don't want to get knocked out? Don't skate across the middle with your head down, that's the way that hockey has ALWAYS worked.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Just went over to the Habs board to see what they were saying and I found this 6 page *****-fest. This thread is an embarrassment to hockey fans everywhere.
The entire postseason has been an embarrassment to hockey fans everywhere.

So much overrating, hyping, slandering, and random nonsense that it makes me want to just stay on the Flyers' board.

Old
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
decadentia

Let's face it, we're fans that already have a tendency to over-analyze/discuss hockey...thus why we are here on HFboards. On top of the media sensationalizing absolutely everything, it trickles back to here and people regurgitate it. Issues usually only go away after the magnifying glass has completely burnt out the focused target. It's become beyond ridiculous.

Scott Stevens completely changed the fate of this team forever. One player with a fierce competitive spirit, and i'll be damned if i'm going to whine about it. He is what he is (one of the best/feared defenseman of all time), and the game would never be the same without that sense of risk.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote