2009-2010 Prospect Tracker

Old
05-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Jbcraig1883

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Another thing DR failed at.

Foucault's got promise...a scout told me he could end up being the steal of the 09 draft.
Apparently he needs to work on his work ethic...

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I could see this guy being a good role player down the road who steps it up in the post season. Looking at his career numbers, I find it interesting the degree to which he engages during the playoffs:

Regular season: 130 games, 31 goals, 32 assists, 63 pts, +1

Post season: 49 games, 22 goals, 13 assists, 35 points, +16.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:50 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I could see this guy being a good role player down the road who steps it up in the post season. Looking at his career numbers, I find it interesting the degree to which he engages during the playoffs:

I can't say I've ever seen a Hitmen game...but its my understanding that they are perennially a stacked team, although Foucault is seeing top line duty at the Memorial Cup because of injuries. I wonder that since Calgary is always loaded, that if Foucault is miscast in a bottom-6 role as a checker when he needs to be in the top-6 with skill players.

I haven't heard anything about his work ethic, although I have heard he has been a healthy scratch this season, which makes you wonder if he may have been grumpy or something.

Still, the bottom line is that he's gonna get an NHL deal because he's got good size, plays a good game, and has the ability to find the net, especially in high pressure situations.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well none of those three were really projecting to have an NHL career at this point, and I'm sure Fletcher spoke with them and they might have desired to remain in Europe rather than play in Houston. And if that's the case, let them walk.
Still doesn't make it a good idea to let them walk for nothing when you can own their rights for longer. Elo was always a long-term project, and he had shown promise of exactly that. His skating still wasn't great, but he was big and could shoot. He reminded me a lot of Latendresse in the way he plays. When you don't have many prospects to start with, it seems odd to willingly shed three of them. That's what a loaded team does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Why would Elo be a good prospect if he can't skate?
Well that's just it. Elo wasn't a good prospect yet, but I'm surprised that a GM that doesn't mind having a team full of slugs would drop him. He seemed to fit right in to the new philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Apparently he needs to work on his work ethic...
Definitely. Foucault has had a couple nice runs in the playoffs. The rest of the time he's been a disappointment. He's a long shot.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Still doesn't make it a good idea to let them walk for nothing when you can own their rights for longer. Elo was always a long-term project, and he had shown promise of exactly that. His skating still wasn't great, but he was big and could shoot. He reminded me a lot of Latendresse in the way he plays. When you don't have many prospects to start with, it seems odd to willingly shed three of them. That's what a loaded team does.

But the thing is if you cut bait, then you can still keep an eye on them if they aren't SIGNED (operative word here) and that if you as a GM/Scout feel that their game has progressed to where you think they can contribute here in North America, then you can go after them.

Old
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
But the thing is if you cut bait, then you can still keep an eye on them if they aren't SIGNED (operative word here) and that if you as a GM/Scout feel that their game has progressed to where you think they can contribute here in North America, then you can go after them.
Then we should qualify Elo and hang on to him. We don't have to sign him for another year or two.

Old
05-20-2010, 06:05 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Then we should qualify Elo and hang on to him. We don't have to sign him for another year or two.
What is this qualifying business? I saw that in Russo's blog...I thought it was either you sign them or you don't?

Old
05-20-2010, 06:14 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
What is this qualifying business? I saw that in Russo's blog...I thought it was either you sign them or you don't?
You can renounce your rights to a prospect, but they must be signed by a certain date (2 years for CHL picks, 4 years for NCAA and I'm not sure what Europe is).

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:22 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
I didn't think they had to do that this offseason since he's playing in Europe. But I see a San Jose prospect from the 2008 draft was in the same boat, so maybe it's true. I think what happens is that you sign a player to a basic entry level deal, but he can continue playing in Europe for next season. Retaining rights is more of a formality then.

So I'm now confused at the language.

Old
05-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:

I don't know if I'm being too anal here but I don't see him being a role player (bottom 6, pker, agitator, etc.). He plays a purely offensive game and doesn't get all that involved along the boards from what I've watched. I've been told that he needs to work on his attitude and work ethic. All of this leads me to believe that he will need to grow up and if he makes it, it will be as a top 6 forward.

As many have alluded to, he has the size, shot and hands. And, as Deuce mentioned, the Calgary team has a lot of guys that will not be there next year so he should see more minutes.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:29 PM
saywut

Quote:

Don't see him being a roleplayer considering how soft/lazy he is. There is a reason he wasn't even a full-time WHLer his draft year. His upside warranted the pick, but his regular season was inexcusable. Maybe he gets it together, maybe not, its not really relevant to this team moving forward, you can't expect 4th rounders to fill roles, its surprises if they even become full-time NHLers.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
You can renounce your rights to a prospect, but they must be signed by a certain date (2 years for CHL picks, 4 years for NCAA and I'm not sure what Europe is).
After the lock out, I believe it's 2 years like the CHL so teams don't hide prospects in Europe.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote