HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Hardy Arrested Under Suspicion of Felony Sexual Abuse

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2010, 02:24 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Goodness gracious! This is a hockey forum not TMZ!!!

Old
05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Goodness gracious! This is a hockey forum not TMZ!!!
We've now made TMZ twice in the past year! Drunk Heidi and allegedly inappropriate touching Harpo

Old
05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
We've now made TMZ twice in the past year! Drunk Heidi and allegedly inappropriate touching Harpo
Sounds like the makings of a sitcom/reality show. Imagine what shenanigans may ensue in the next episode when Sean Avery makes a special guest appearance.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Your conduct in this thread is very unbecoming. It seems as if you've gone into total spin mode to preserve the reputation of this man for whatever reason. I can understand withholding judgment until the rest of the story is available, but talking about his importance to the team and how it may be untrue because crazy girls do crazy things is deplorable in this situation. You don't know either party in this matter personally, and neither do I, but to make those kind of assertions without the full story is more than a little disheartening to read.
Agreed, well put.

No offense, but reading your posts on the first page... wow.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

I'm completely shocked and will reserve judgement on Hardy.

Hope he didn't do it, but if he did...throw the book at him.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Agreed, well put.

No offense, but reading your posts on the first page... wow.
I know, hoping the charges are false and reserving judgment is repulsive, and contemplating the likely effects it will have on the Kings' bench next season is completely inconsiderate on the LA Kings forum board.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Defgarden

Man...

I just hope it all works out. For justice's sake.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
The bolded part of your post is a disgrace even with your preface.
This is QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
But until He is convicted, He is innocent.
This is true only in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. Example: to most logical thinkers, OJ was never innocent and is not today. He has not and never will be convicted of the murder of his ex-wife.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I'll reserve judgment until the charges are sorted out. One would think that since it's a family matter if it weren't serious it would have been resolved privately. The fact that police action was necessary is disturbing.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
This is true only in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. Example: to most logical thinkers, OJ was never innocent and is not today. He has not and never will be convicted of the murder of his ex-wife.
IMO, your example is flawed. When I heard about the murders the next day, it was difficult to even consider OJ as a potential suspect based on his public image. He was still the hero football player and spokesman for national companies, not a deranged killer. Only after the facts started to come to the surface did it become clear that he was the most likely killer.

In this case, I don't think that we've heard the complete story from anyone yet. When we do - and it will probably be very soon - everyone is entitled to jump to their own conclusion.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:37 PM
NomadFan

Neither here nor there (or maybe it is), but I don't think this was a family vacation. At Tip-A-King '06 I got into a conversation with the coaches, and Hardy mentioned that his daughter might go to Georgetown for college. So if anything, they were probably in DC for graduation weekend...

Old
05-21-2010, 03:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I had a cousin-in-law get arrested because some girl made up a story in a therapy session that he abused her like 10 years before.

He got arrested, right after having a kid. Leaving my cousin with her baby, without any warning, and the police refused to even say who was charging him. ONly that "some girl" accused him of sexual abuse... not to the police... to a therapist. The police even threatened to take my cousin's baby away.

Of course, after spending a week in jail, the girl took it all back. Said she wasn't sure now. Basically she all but admitted to making it up.

Don't cry for me crazy girl syndrome. It exists, and while it certainly may not be the case here, for some of you to dismiss it out of hand is a little to flower-power for me. People are scum, both sexes.

This news is really ******, REGARDLESS of who is telling the truth and who is at fault.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
First off, let me state I am heavily biased on this issue. I am a defense lawyer and I know the man, for Chrissake's.

Now, I am unaware of the actual code sections under which Harpo was arrested. The language is very VERY important. Nor do I have the discovery (i.e. Police Reports, witness statements etc) to begin to analyze the facts. The reality is NONE OF US DO!

If I go from the reported facts, in California, thats likely to be charged under as a sexual battery, punishable as either a misdeamor or a felony.

As to opinion, I detest any of you, who have no background in this area, forming opinions based on superficial facts and coming to the conclusion that "he must've done something" for the police to arrest him. I would have you all excused from any jury I pick as already having formed your opinion before hearing ALL THE FACTS. Likewise if you already BELIEVE that the girl made it up, I can bounce you for cause (prejudice -- preformed beliefs) Closely related,but not to the same degree, are people who say "ďf he did it, fry him." Of course we all want people who break the law punished (me not so much depending on the laws) but you are basically willing to form part of the lynch mob IF, and we wont know IF until its all said and done.

It is currently just as plauible that he did it, as that she made it up. There could also be other entirely blameless explanations that none of us have thought of or considered. Remember that truth is stranger than fiction every single day and then some.

Now, as a defense attorney, based on the facts I have heard, and knowing that they must have been on vacation in DC, something is missing from this story that makes it suspect. A complete set of facts is the most glaring problem.

Moreover, this doesn't sound like a child molestation case with allegations of ongoing conduct. From the scant information and I stress SCANT, there was a single touching of the women's genital area. We dont know context, intent, or nature of contact. So put your torches down people. WE dont even know if the prosecutor for the District of Columbia will in fact file charges.

So as bad as this sounds, and it is just awful for any person to have to go through, hold off on your judgments.

/Rant
Very well put.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Well believe me or not, I have sort of known Harpo for years.

I met him during his playing days with the Kings (his first real go round) and while I would never claim that we are good friends, on the few occasions that we have run into each other over the years he always makes a point to come up and say hello.

I have met his family and a few of his absolutely crazy friends and with all that being said, I think that he deserves exactly the same amount of respect that anyone else does when charged with a crime.

He is completely innocent until such time that he is found guilty by a jury of his peers. Until then, IF that ever happens this is a non issue for me.

As far as support for him I say that he has all of mine and I will refuse to believe that he is guilty until the day that he is proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he isn't.

And even then there will have to be exceptionally substantial evidence to change my mind.

Keep it steady Harpo.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
This is QFT.

Criminally, No

Remember was found guilty of having soothing to do with the murders in Civil court.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Time to update the thread title. It's been upgraded to a felony.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- L.A. Kings assistant coach and former player Mark Hardy was arrested in Washington, D.C., accused of sexually abusing a female relative.

Eyewitness News has confirmed Hardy's sexual assault charge was upgraded from a misdemeanor to a felony. He was taken into custody overnight at the Mayflower Hotel. Police said the complaint came from a woman in her 20s who claimed to be a relative of Hardy's.

The woman said she and Hardy and several other people went to a bar to drink. They walked back to hotel, and she said she went into the bathroom to change into a T-shirt and shorts to go to bed. At some point, she says he got in bed with her, and she woke up.

There was apparently enough evidence to arrest him.

Hardy had a 15-year NHL playing career, which included two stints as a Kings defenseman. He was a member of the Kings team that advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1993. He returned to the Kings as an assistant coach in August 2008.

Hardy and his wife live in Manhattan Beach.

In a statement, the Kings organization said, "We are aware of the charge. Due to the legal nature of this matter, we will not have any additional comments at this time."

Hardy is set to be arraigned Friday unless he posts bail

Old
05-21-2010, 04:25 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadFan View Post
Neither here nor there (or maybe it is), but I don't think this was a family vacation. At Tip-A-King '06 I got into a conversation with the coaches, and Hardy mentioned that his daughter might go to Georgetown for college. So if anything, they were probably in DC for graduation weekend...
That sounds like a family vacation.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:27 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Thanks LBFF.

I guess time will tell if he is innocent or not.

Keep it steady Harpo.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:27 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I had a cousin-in-law get arrested because some girl made up a story in a therapy session that he abused her like 10 years before.

He got arrested, right after having a kid. Leaving my cousin with her baby, without any warning, and the police refused to even say who was charging him. ONly that "some girl" accused him of sexual abuse... not to the police... to a therapist. The police even threatened to take my cousin's baby away.

Of course, after spending a week in jail, the girl took it all back. Said she wasn't sure now. Basically she all but admitted to making it up.

Don't cry for me crazy girl syndrome. It exists, and while it certainly may not be the case here, for some of you to dismiss it out of hand is a little to flower-power for me. People are scum, both sexes.

This news is really ******, REGARDLESS of who is telling the truth and who is at fault.
According to media reports, there was apparently enough evidence to arrest him, and to upgrade the charge to a felony. So I doubt she was making this up.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:31 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Sucks for Hardy himself and his daughter. We obviously don't know the whole story though.

If Hardy is let go by the Kings am I the only one who see's OD stepping in as an assistant?

Old
05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
According to media reports, there was apparently enough evidence to arrest him, and to upgrade the charge to a felony. So I doubt she was making this up.
Did you not read my post?

My cousin got arrested for a felony based off a therapy session.

So far the only 'evidence' I see is her word.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
We don't know what that evidence is. In most cases, reasonable suspicion is evidence enough to arrest someone. This can be gathered through a crying testament. They could have some sort of legitimate proof, but enough evidence of arrest doesn't mean by a long shot that they have anything to prove or convict him of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Sucks for Hardy himself and his daughter. We obviously don't know the whole story though.

If Hardy is let go by the Kings am I the only one who see's OD stepping in as an assistant?
No way he goes from the ice to a NHL bench. In my opinion anyway. I just can't see that happening.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Did you not read my post?

My cousin got arrested for a felony based off a therapy session.

So far the only 'evidence' I see is her word.
I hope you're right. I was just pointing out that there was some type of evidence which gave cause for arrest. This is a sad situation for everyone involved.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

No way he goes from the ice to a NHL bench. In my opinion anyway. I just can't see that happening.
Agreed.

He'll probably do something like Deader did with the Avs and start as a video coach or something

Old
05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Way too early to form any opinions, except of course we're all sorry to find out this very incompletely explained piece of news.

Best to be patient before forming hasty conclusions. The Kings organization will survive whatever this is.

Closed Thread