HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Ray Whitney Returning (Pens Fan)

Old
05-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Hottubber

vCash: 500
Is Ray Whitney Returning (Pens Fan)

Im really hoping to see Whitney beside Crosby next season.

I thought i heard somewhere the Canes were going to resign him. Is there any truth to this?

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

This is from two days ago.

Quote:
Whitney, 38, will be an unrestricted free agent July 1, but Rutherford said he hopes an agreement can be reached to keep the winger with the Hurricanes.

"He'd like to stay and in our initial (one-on-one) meeting we came to the conclusion we'd like him to stay," Rutherford said. "We are trying to make the team younger and at some point he does want to win again. But at the end of the meeting he made it clear that ideally he'd like to stay.

"Now we have to get down to how the contract fits."
So nothing definitive yet, but it sounds like both sides are at least going to try to work out a deal for him to stay.

05-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

It all comes down to money

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Hottubber

What kind of $$$ and terms do you think Carolina/Whitney would want

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
It would be insulting to offer him less than Larose. I would say $2.5-2.75 would be right in his wheelhouse if he wants more than one year. $3 million if he's willing to go month to month.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
totalkev

I don't mind if we re-sign Whitney, and even if we give him market dollars. What I will be upset about, is if we give him a) more than two years, b) any kind of no-trade guarantee (especially in the final year of the deal) or c) an automatic slot on Staal's left wing with no chance of anybody else *earning* that spot.

Whitney by himself isn't going to kill the "youth movement." I think you need a good mix of youth and vets. Of the guys we currently have under contract, Brindy is the only one over 31 (Cole, Samsonov and TomKo are 31).

One other thing that will hack me off. Our three worst contracts (Cole, Samsonov, Brindy) are finished after this season. If JR does anything to kill his flexibility (like he did last summer), I will personally lead the revolt.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
It all comes down to money
Actually, I don't think so. To him it seems just as important to fit into the team's system and the role he's offered within. While he's a great role-model and a fine leader, he's not the guy you just put onto a rebuilding team that will go nowhere within next two or three seasons. He's a guy who can make a difference, and while he's never been the superstar who can carry a whole team, he still is much more than just a complementary scorer. He makes things happen, he's smart and reads the play well, he still got wheels and always shows off character and an exemplary work ethic.

He's not a guy who will float around if placed on a lesser team. He's also not the one you just bury on the bottom lines because your team is stacked up front. At this time in his career, it would seem the best fit for him to play a leader-by-example's role on a competitive team's top-six and power play - on a competitive team, not necessarily an already hyped favorite for the cup, but definitely on a team with postseason ambitions.

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
Actually, I don't think so. To him it seems just as important to fit into the team's system and the role he's offered within. While he's a great role-model and a fine leader, he's not the guy you just put onto a rebuilding team that will go nowhere within next two or three seasons. He's a guy who can make a difference, and while he's never been the superstar who can carry a whole team, he still is much more than just a complementary scorer. He makes things happen, he's smart and reads the play well, he still got wheels and always shows off character and an exemplary work ethic.

He's not a guy who will float around if placed on a lesser team. He's also not the one you just bury on the bottom lines because your team is stacked up front. At this time in his career, it would seem the best fit for him to play a leader-by-example's role on a competitive team's top-six and power play - on a competitive team, not necessarily an already hyped favorite for the cup, but definitely on a team with postseason ambitions.
There's a variation of this post in every thread about a team's own UFAs. And it seems to makes sense.

But in the end, it usually comes down to money.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I don't want him back on anything that pays more than $2.5 or longer than 2 years and prefer not at all... He was awful down the stretch

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post

I see your point, but going by the language used by Rutherford, it seems like it is going to be a struggle between what he wants vs. what the team is willing to give.

IDEALLY is the word that makes me suspect.

Ray ideally wants to stay for $x.xx
Carolina ideally wants him to say yes to $x.xx

He wasn't dealt at the deadline, so they will probably work something out if playing with the Canes is worth a paycut

Old
05-21-2010, 04:03 PM
totalkev

Quote:
He wasn't dealt at the deadline, so they will probably work something out if playing with the Canes is worth a paycut
I think Rutherford is taking a bullet for Whitney on this one. I believe with all my heart that there were legit offers out there for Ray Ray at the deadline. Rutherford says there weren't. Honestly, I find that hard to believe. JR saw what happened when news of Wallin rejecting trades got out, and I think he was protecting Ray by saying there weren't any interesting offers. But like I said, I believe that Ray used his no-trade clause to stay, and we shouldn't read anything into the fact that he wasn't traded.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I believe that Ray used his no-trade clause to stay, and we shouldn't read anything into the fact that he wasn't traded.

I completely neglected to think about the NTC...

I wonder what was offered for Ray...

Old
05-21-2010, 05:01 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
I completely neglected to think about the NTC...

I wonder what was offered for Ray...
The only package that was confirmed in the press, and this was the initial one that was rejected since Ray wasn't able to come to terms on an extension with the team, was from LA. It would have been:

LA's 2nd this year
choice of Colten Teubert or Vyacheslav Voynov.

I think JR was looking for a similar package and that never came, but I also think that Ray wasn't interested in any of the teams that may have been offering as well.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:36 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

I'd love to see Whitney back. And frankly, we need the scoring.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote