HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Semifinal • 05/22/10 • Sweden 2, Czech Republic 3 (SO)

View Poll Results: Pick the winner
Sweden 17 85.00%
Czech Republic 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Oyabun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
15 seconds actually.
Ok 15 seconds to go and he lets the Czech regroup. I mixed it up with the Czech goal, 8 seconds left.

Tre Kronor couldn't have gone out in a worse way. If only they had been outplayed or chased a lead but didn't manage to score. This is as bitter as a loss can get and this was a huge coaching mistake. If Sweden won, it still was a crazy timeout . I could not believe it as it happened and went for a bathroom break and apparently missed the Swedish analysts and commentators ripping on the decision BEFORE the timeout was over and the Czech goal came.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:36 AM
zorz

Btw. speaking about that timeout... I think Sweden made icing before that, so they couldn't change players, wasn't that reason why your coach took timeout?

Old
05-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Btw. speaking about that timeout... I think Sweden made icing before that, so the couldn't change players, wasn't that reason why your coach took timeout?
That was exactly it. His key guys had been out there for a long time. He was resting them. Not an uncommon move. It didn't work out this time for Sweden but it's not because they took the timeout. They were just beat. They let up too much in the third.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Looked like the Czech players celebrated a little too much. I hope they don't feel like they've achieved enough, because Russia's going to walk all over them in that case.
They were celebrating the silver. Seriously, nobody but the most fanatical Czech fans believe we can beat the Russians. But who the hell cares? After 4 years of QF failures, this is terrific.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Chileiceman

That was a great game to watch. I'm happy for Jagr and the Czechs.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:44 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Ok 15 seconds to go and he lets the Czech regroup. I mixed it up with the Czech goal, 8 seconds left.

Tre Kronor couldn't have gone out in a worse way. If only they had been outplayed or chased a lead but didn't manage to score. This is as bitter as a loss can get and this was a huge coaching mistake. If Sweden won, it still was a crazy timeout . I could not believe it as it happened and went for a bathroom break and apparently missed the Swedish analysts and commentators ripping on the decision BEFORE the timeout was over and the Czech goal came.
This is the kind of mixture of anger and disbelief I felt 2 years ago when that ********* Hnilička gave you a GWG on a silver plate in the overtime of our mutual quarterfinal match. And we were the better side in that match for the most part. I have learned there's no use of rubbing salt into your own wounds, the only way to deal with it is to forgive and forget.
For several days the newspaper were smearing it and the poor thing's career went downhill since then. He was hated pretty bad. There's always a sinner to put all the blame on. It's all BÅG for you now. You guys should have scored 4 more goals and in such case our tally 8 sec prior the buzzer would have been a mere correction of the score. This way you went down on a bad bounce in a tight match. Tough break but it just happens, we know all about it.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Lepardi

Quote:
This is as bitter as a loss can get and this was a huge coaching mistake.
The Swedish guys on the ice had already played a 55-second shift before the faceoff took place at 59.45. How on earth can it be a "huge coaching mistake" to give them a little rest? I think the real mistake was to shoot the puck for an icing.

For BÅG it would have been a mistake NOT to call a time-out at that point.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Svinet

Quote:
Btw. speaking about that timeout... I think Sweden made icing before that, so the shouldn't change players, wasn't that reason why your coach took timeout?
Yeah but you have to weight the balance of giving a 30 second rest to your men with 15 seconds left of the game but at the same time give 30 seconds for the opponent to organize a finishing strategy when or if they get hold of the puck.

Atleast to me it's quite clear that the play by the Czech that led to the goal was part of an predetermined plan.

If BÅG would,d had skip the timeout then perhaps we could have killed off those 15 seconds simply by facing a less organized Czech team while press another 15 seconds of play out of those tired Swedish bodies (we talk about 15 second for christ sake), perhaps we would have lost anyway. As it stands now however it's quite clear (for me that is) that the Time out gave the Czechs a golden opportunity, an opportunity they seized.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:48 AM
zorz

Russia would be hot favorite against anybody, not only czech team... but in one single game anything can happen. We know, we have small chance to win gold. But silver is still great satisfaction for this underrated team.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:50 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Yeah it was not a coaching mistake. Can't believe the commentators were going on and on about it. Don't they know you are not allowed to change after you've iced the puck?

Old
05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post
The Swedish guys on the ice had already played a 55-second shift before the faceoff took place at 59.45. How on earth can it be a "huge coaching mistake" to give them a little rest? I think the real mistake was to shoot the puck for an icing.

For BÅG it would have been a mistake NOT to call a time-out at that point.
The real mistake was made by Johansson. Swedes won the draw and it came back to him. He decided to attempt to somewhat eat the puck but he was instantly stripped outright. With so little time he should have either just shot it around the boards or pinned it up along the boards. If you are going to eat the puck you have to do a much better job at it then he did.

The play happened so fast but if you rewatch it again he made a pretty bad play. You gotta be much harder on the puck and especially in the dieing seconds.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:55 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner View Post
They were celebrating the silver. Seriously, nobody but the most fanatical Czech fans believe we can beat the Russians. But who the hell cares? After 4 years of QF failures, this is terrific.
Russians are the most loaded team on the tournament, they beat in a waltz tempo anybody who dresses up against them and they take no prisoners. They haven't lost a single match yet. It's just a matter of score.

Swedes wouldn't have beaten Russians anyway. Their record against Russians is disastrous, they can't beat Russia to save their lives even if the teams are pretty equal and it's not even the case this years. Russians are lightyears ahead of anybody else on this tournament.

Russians will complete a golden hat-trick, a fabulous accomplishment last performed by glorious Czech golden generation in 1999-2001 and it is very symbolic Czechs will be part of it again. Just not the part they would like to be ... sigh.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

Ah, crap.... slept in too late and missed this one. Happy to hear the Czechs walked away with the win.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:07 PM
wings5

Great win for the Czechs I was cheering for them towards the end of the game when I thought about their state of hockey. Hopefully many youngsters and fans in the Czech Republic are following this game and they can improve the state of hockey in their country by producing good young players.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
gingerninja*

I am really happy for Czechs, you deserved it

Old
05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Yeah it was not a coaching mistake. Can't believe the commentators were going on and on about it. Don't they know you are not allowed to change after you've iced the puck?
Of course it was coaching mistake. Let the play flow and the clock run out. A time-out gave the Czechs time to regroup and set up a final attack. The only thing Sweden had to do was sabotage the Czechs final attack, which is much easier than playing constructively, you don't need a time-out to set that up. I'm sure the Swedish players could've managed another 15 secs.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:12 PM
OFFSIDE NOT OFFSIDES

vCash: 3212
Congrats to the Czech Republic.

I'm shocked Sweden lost.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:18 PM
zorz

Quote:
Of course it was coaching mistake. Let the play flow and the clock run out. A time-out gave the Czechs time to regroup and set up a final attack. The only thing Sweden had to do was sabotage the Czechs final attack, which is much easier than playing constructively, you don't need a time-out to set that up. I'm sure the Swedish players could've managed another 15 secs.
Just imagine situation when BAG didn't took timeout and czechs scored a goal... now he would be criticised he didn't take timeout

Old
05-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Just imagine situation when BAG didn't took timeout and czechs scored a goal... now he would be criticised he didn't take timeout
Not at all, well not by me. I haven't been on the Swedish BÅG hating bandwagon, more like his defense team as my previous posts will show.
He has just been horrible in 2010. His coaching in the Olympics was nothing short of horrific. The PP and the crazy lines, separating players that had been hugely successful together in the NHL. Before the olympics I thought he was great and his results spoke for themselves. Post-olympics I still thought he deserved credit for his previous history.

With BÅG behind the wheel, Sweden became the first country to get an olympic gold and a world championship gold in the same year. It needed something special to take him down a few pegs but he's managed that with his 2010 run of constantly making the wrong decisions.

Don't take my displeasure with BÅG as if I am taking anything away from the Czech performance. You guys deserved to win this game, no question about it. Czech scored the most goals and the right team is in the final.

Last edited by Oyabun: 05-22-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old
05-22-2010, 12:47 PM
pluppe

Quote:
He probably would be, there are always idiots, but that doesn´t make both ways to go right. one must be better than the other.

Ask yourself this question: If the Chechs had their Time-out left, do you think they would have taken it even if it meant the swedes got some extra rest?

I am very sure the answer is yes and that tells you BÅG´s decision was bad.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
You have got to be ****ing joking. Way to go, Bengt. You're officially the worst coach ever. Get him out of there, that was just pathetic. Unbelievable.

Old
05-22-2010, 01:14 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluppe View Post
He probably would be, there are always idiots, but that doesn´t make both ways to go right. one must be better than the other.

Ask yourself this question: If the Chechs had their Time-out left, do you think they would have taken it even if it meant the swedes got some extra rest?

I would probably do the same thing... I don't know, but I really think it is very common that you take timeout after your team's icing during last seconds of the game... just to let players rest and make plan of blocking opponent's shooters and so on. I doubt I have ever seen some game with different scenario.

Old
05-22-2010, 01:33 PM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluppe View Post

You think you're funny with that misspelling, you Sweet?

Old
05-22-2010, 01:51 PM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
I would probably do the same thing... I don't know, but I really think it is very common that you take timeout after your team's icing during last seconds of the game... just to let players rest and make plan of blocking opponent's shooters and so on. I doubt I have ever seen some game with different scenario.
You're wasting your breath, pal. Some of them guys just can't swallow the loss and need to unload the blame on somebody. And that somebody is their head coach.

You know the drill Sweden is obviously like our country in this. Back home every dirtbag thinks he knows better than the head coach. As the saying goes: 10.5 milion hockey experts live in the Czech Republic.

I remember after our mutual match there was one Swedish poster here who actually appreciated BÅG and stated that the negative moods against him is mostly created by Stockholm media.

Of course I know nothing about it, but it seems to me just as the situation with Růžička. Anybody who hates Slavia Praha wants him dead even if we pulled the upset and won the gold tomorrow they wouldn't change they mind.

Old
05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Frank Bascombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
You're wasting your breath, pal. Some of them guys just can't swallow the loss and need to unload the blame on somebody. And that somebody is their head coach.

You know the drill Sweden is obviously like our country in this. Back home every dirtbag thinks he knows better than the head coach. As the saying goes: 10.5 milion hockey experts live in the Czech Republic.

I remember after our mutual match there was one Swedish poster here who actually appreciated BÅG and stated that the negative moods against him is mostly created by Stockholm media.

Of course I know nothing about it, but it seems to me just as the situation with Růžička. Anybody who hates Slavia Praha wants him dead even if we pulled the upset and won the gold tomorrow they wouldn't change they mind.
And yet you go on and on about it.

Closed Thread