HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Higgins

Old
05-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
As hardworking as he was, it was TORTUROUS for me as a fan to watch him every time he skated down the ice into the offensive zone. It was as if I started expecting blown empty nets and glorious scoring chances not cashed in on after a while. MAJOR, MAJOR pass on Higgs.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Please stay in Calgary or somewhere else. Thank you.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Why would the results be any different next season?

Makes absolutely no sense to try again.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

As much as I love Higgins, considering he's a friend of someone in my family, this is a really really dumb consideration. Failed projects should remain closed.

At one point Higgins had the ability to score, maybe it was from people he was playing with, maybe not. But he completely lost it, and whether he gets it back should be left to another team to find out. Right now he's experiencing Cheechoo Syndrome, and players with that should be avoided like death.

By the way, he was a -9 for the Rangers, I didn't think his backchecking and physical play made up for the countless mistakes he made, and endless turnovers he produced.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
As much as I love Higgins, considering he's a friend of someone in my family, this is a really really dumb consideration. Failed projects should remain closed.

At one point Higgins had the ability to score, maybe it was from people he was playing with, maybe not. But he completely lost it, and whether he gets it back should be left to another team to find out. Right now he's experiencing Cheechoo Syndrome, and players with that should be avoided like death.

By the way, he was a -9 for the Rangers, I didn't think his backchecking and physical play made up for the countless mistakes he made, and endless turnovers he produced.
for the record Cheechoo had a major injury and along with the corresponding surgery just sapped the life out of his game. Neck and leg injuries ...

I am not saying I want NY to sign Higgins, just that they could do A LOT worse. Especially if he signed for a million bucks which is what they pay Voros and less than what they pay Brashear.

If by signing him they block weise/byers/prust than I agree that it is a mistake to sign him.

are we agreed that paying higgins a million is a better cap hit than voros or brashear ?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks3rdLineCenter View Post
The problem with that theory is that he sucked just as much in Calgary as he did with the Rangers. 3 pts in 12 games.

Let it go. If the guy wasn't from Long Island this wouldn't even be a discussion right now. There are players in Hartford that can give you exactly what he does. There are players in the park down the street from me that can give you exactly what he does.

20 goal guy? In his last 136 games he's scored 28 goals total.

If there's one thing this organization doesn't need right now, it's Chris Higgins.
Higgins didn't suck in Calgary. He forechecked hard, threw a bunch of hits, and generally played with a lot of heart. Didn't score, but then again, nobody did.

Higgins will sign somewhere for around $1 million a year, and whichever team gets him will have a steal at that price. He's no more than a third-liner at this point, but he's a really good one.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
EEL

Let's try something different, bring up the kids and see what happens! It can't end up any worse. If you have to, offer FA's REASONABLE contracts. If they want to play for us they'll sign, if they don't they won't!
Over-paying is a recipe for disaster(Redden)!!!

EEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:25 PM
The Thomas J.*

Sadly, a Huge disapointment. I think his best goal scoring years are behind him.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Higgins didn't suck in Calgary. He forechecked hard, threw a bunch of hits, and generally played with a lot of heart. Didn't score, but then again, nobody did.

Higgins will sign somewhere for around $1 million a year, and whichever team gets him will have a steal at that price. He's no more than a third-liner at this point, but he's a really good one.
Everything that you described is everything that the Rangers don't need.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It's bad enough the Rangers have another season of Voros,Brashear and Rissmiller under contract,so lets spend another $1 million on a player who has zero confidence and now can't stay healthy. He got hurt in Montreal and in Calgary.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Valverde

Meh, in recent past we've had Dawes, Sjo, Prucha, etc. Players like them are a dime a dozen, we need top-end talent, not another third-liner. We've got Callahan as our warrior, he's an "elite third liner", if there's anything like that. Higgins isn't an answer to any of our questions, trading for/signing him would be pointless.

Valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:11 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

no top end talent is going to sign for a million bucks

Old
05-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
for the record Cheechoo had a major injury and along with the corresponding surgery just sapped the life out of his game. Neck and leg injuries ...

I am not saying I want NY to sign Higgins, just that they could do A LOT worse. Especially if he signed for a million bucks which is what they pay Voros and less than what they pay Brashear.

If by signing him they block weise/byers/prust than I agree that it is a mistake to sign him.

are we agreed that paying higgins a million is a better cap hit than voros or brashear ?
No, I don't agree that signing Higgins to a $1 million contract is a better cap hit than Voros or Brashear. The latter two players are already on the roster and the organization has to deal with the consequences of their contracts. They can still avoid the problem of signing a player who failed miserably in New York.

Higgins is a nice guy, but there have to be better options than signing him again and hoping the results will be different this time.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Very true. I was referring more to the steep decline in playing ability rather than the whole ordeal with his injuries.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
No!No!No!No!No!No!
this!

Can you imagine how much worse we'd think Sather was if he made half the moves people speculate and propose on this board?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:08 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Seriously what goes through people's minds when they start a threat like this? Do you watch the games?

I wouldn't want him for free.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Seriously what goes through people's minds when they start a threat like this? Do you watch the games?

I wouldn't want him for free.
so in your opinion Higgins will never find his A game again

I disagree

Old
05-24-2010, 07:05 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
no top end talent is going to sign for a million bucks
Right. So we just use that cap space on redundant filler instead (Higgins)? Seems silly. How about we hold onto that cap space and keep roster space open for the younger players?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:31 AM
rangerjoe

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

PASS.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:32 AM
XLJ

Higgins is a good hardworking player. He would be the perfect 3rd or 4th line grinder type on a good team that has a top 6 that can actually score. He doesn't really fit the rangers current needs.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Right. So we just use that cap space on redundant filler instead (Higgins)? Seems silly. How about we hold onto that cap space and keep roster space open for the younger players?
agreed.

give me kovalchuk, or give me nothing.

really there is only 1 player this offseason i have any interest in (who isnt currently on the Rangers), the rest of them need to stay the frak away from this Ranger team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:45 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I agree

the point of considering him is IF the Byers et al don't have the ability to take the next step.

I fully expect him to sign on Long Island and haunt los rangers for the next couple of years