HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Itunes/External Hard Drive question

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Itunes/External Hard Drive question

I have about 80 gigs worth of mp3's, so I went out and bought a Seagate 160gb external hard drive. As far as I can figure out by myself, the following is the procedure I need to follow in order to move my mp3's to the External Hard Drive:

1. Copy the ITunes Music Folders (and Limewire, etc) to the External Hard Drive:
2. Change the pointer in ITunes to the External Hard Drive
3. Test
4. Erase Itunes Music Folders

Is it really that easy???? Anyone have to transfer large amounts of data to an external where you left the operating part of the program in the original pc?

Just seems waaayyyyyyy to easy to me!

Old
03-10-2005, 02:16 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value
I have about 80 gigs worth of mp3's, so I went out and bought a Seagate 160gb external hard drive. As far as I can figure out by myself, the following is the procedure I need to follow in order to move my mp3's to the External Hard Drive:

1. Copy the ITunes Music Folders (and Limewire, etc) to the External Hard Drive:
2. Change the pointer in ITunes to the External Hard Drive
3. Test
4. Erase Itunes Music Folders

Is it really that easy???? Anyone have to transfer large amounts of data to an external where you left the operating part of the program in the original pc?

Just seems waaayyyyyyy to easy to me!
yes, it's that easy.

I just bought a 250GB external HD to basically store my music (and backup files), and it works the same way.

Just acts as another HD on your system. Your OS will still run the installed programs from the drive it was installed in (usually locally at C:drive), but pick up the MP3s from the other drive.

it's like all other programs... you can save and view/edit, etc a WORD or EXCEL file from this external HD, but don't need WORD or EXCEL installed on that drive directly.

Old
03-10-2005, 02:18 PM
n00dles

Well, it is this easy. The OS treats the external disk exactly like an internal one.

I use one too and never had problems with using the data on the external with applications from my internal disks. The only problem might be if you need a very high data traffic that the connection between the external and the PC cannot deliver but that is certainly not the case with mp3s.

Old
03-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Great, just wanted to get some input before I started messing around. I have a couple hundred boots on CD I'd like to store on the external instead of having to transfer them in and out of ITunes.

What I really need is a 100gb IPod...

Thanks again to you both.

Old
03-10-2005, 02:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Great, just wanted to get some input before I started messing around. I have a couple hundred boots on CD I'd like to store on the external instead of having to transfer them in and out of ITunes.

What I really need is a 100gb IPod...

Thanks again to you both.
before long it'll seem like the 100GB is not enough.

when I bought a new computer (only a few months ago), I got a 160GB HD thinking that'd be plenty of room... since then I've used it all up, and my music alone is over 100GB... so I got myself the 250GB external... it won't be long before that doesn't seem like enough.

I remember the days that 10GB would seem like more room than I'd ever need

Old
03-10-2005, 03:12 PM
n00dles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I remember the days that 10GB would seem like more room than I'd ever need
Hmmm, could ít be because of the explosion of p2p-popularity?
Without this nearly anybody would be hard-pressed to fill 200 gigs.

Old
03-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dles
Hmmm, could ít be because of the explosion of p2p-popularity?
Without this nearly anybody would be hard-pressed to fill 200 gigs.
I'd like to personally thank Furthurnet, EasyTree, ETree, DigitalPanic, Limewire, etc for their help in allowing me to record so much music that it will take a lifetime to listen to, if I stopped right now (and I don't plan on it)

And yes Nuckfan, I remember the days where 5gb was enough to hold years of lotus financials in my computer at work.

Old
03-10-2005, 03:40 PM
n00dles

Quote:
I'd like to personally thank Furthurnet, EasyTree, ETree, DigitalPanic, Limewire, etc for their help in allowing me to record so much music that it will take a lifetime to listen to, if I stopped right now (and I don't plan on it)

And yes Nuckfan, I remember the days where 5gb was enough to hold years of lotus financials in my computer at work.
Ok, you would be one of the few and far between that doesn't pirate stuff like theres no tomorrow.

Is your stuff really so good that you want to keep it forever? I mean things I developed don't last for more than a few months until I become tired of all the little mistakes I made back then so I start over.

Old
03-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

As far as the financials at work, we're legally required to keep them (of course with the hard-copy back-up) for SEVEN years.

As far as the music...I'm 35 so whatever I listen to now I'll wind up listening to it until I'm on my deathbed 9with headphones)

Closed Thread