HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Ovechkin with team Russia - mediocre in important games

Old
05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Who cares about NHL games and Crosby in this thread. I am trying to make an analysis and discuss why Ovechkin has never really delivered for team Russia and there is all kind of off-topic is going on here.
Geesh, sorry he hasn't figured out how to shoot lasers out of his eyes yet.

He does seem to be turning the puck over more, often an ill advised attempt to pass, or trying to cut through a blocked off area. But seriously? He's 24 and probably going against the top defensive matchups.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:06 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
There are certainly some merit to all of the criticisms on OV, and personally, I think that's what's holding him back from being as good as he could possibly be. But, he's very young. You see it in his game, he's emotional. When he gets the puck in tight he'll get excited and take a shot when the best move would have been to wait out the goalie, or maybe a pass. His skill level is undeniable and he's still the best offensive force in the NHL but I think he's still a little too immature at this point, but that will come. It's scary to think how much better he can get.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Who cares about NHL games and Crosby in this thread. I am trying to make an analysis and discuss why Ovechkin has never really delivered for team Russia and there is all kind of off-topic is going on here.
I was only showing you how other star players perform in big games. One man can't do it all. Hockey is a TEAM GAME. Some people don't seem to understand that.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 06:46 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
I was only showing you how other star players perform in big games. One man can't do it all. Hockey is a TEAM GAME. Some people don't seem to understand that.
Ovechkin has had plenty of opportunities to come up big in key games (Game 7's, Olympics, even WHC's) but hasn't so far. His highlight is his QF goal in 2006 against Canada. You would expect someone who can score like he can would have had a memorable performance by now.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 05-23-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: deleted off topic crosby reference
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Siberian

Just proved me right again.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:26 PM
aBurmistrov

As much as I like Ovechkin, he was invisible in the Germany game.

aBurmistrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Ovechkin's style of play is simply far more suited for and more effective in NHL-style games than in international competitions, this shouldn't be too hard to figure out by now.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:50 PM
lazerbullet

Ovechkin hasn't delivered for Team Russia and I'm not surprised. He is a great player, but it's time to start playing with some brains. The worst part - if he is not scoring, then he is making a team worse.
Maybe he will perform better. Kovalchuk wasn't exactly shining also for Team Russia. It only changed recently in Quebec.

Frolov also have never performed for Team Russia. Utterly useless most of the time. And what the hell is V. Kozlov doing on that team. Kozlov over Filatov...

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
He has 4 game winning goals in the tournament
At 29:23 against Slovakia to make it 2-0
At 32:21 against Belarus to make it 2-0
At 19:12 against Denmark to make it 2-0
At 49:46 against Germany to make it 3-1

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Watch Ovechkin score the GWG in Gold Medal game, and be compared to Crosby's goal in the Olympics.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Uncle Rotter

Record in elimination (& Bronze medal) games:

2005 World Champ 3 Game 3g, 2a
2006 World Champ 1 Game 1g, 1a
2007 World Champ 3 Game 0g, 0a
2008 World Champ 3 Game 1g, 3a
2010 World Champ 2 Game 0g, 0a

2006 Olympics 3 Game 1g, 0a
2010 Olympics 1 Game 0g, 0a

2008 Playoffs 3 Game 3g, 1a
2009 Playoffs 5 Game 3g, 3a
2010 Playoffs 1 Game 0g, 1a

Last edited by Uncle Rotter: 05-22-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old
05-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Preach

he just doesn't have the "it" factor when it comes down to the most big and meaningful games, on the biggest stage.

maybe when he starts using his head more, playing a more well-rounded, team game instead of using only his physical, god given talents then he'll start performing like a Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf etc. I'm sure with more experience and yrs under his belt he'll eventually figure it out.

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Uncle Rotter

By comparison:

Malkin

2005 World Champ 3 Game 0g, 3a
2006 World Champ 1 Game 0g, 0a
2007 World Champ 3 Game 3g, 2a
2010 World Champ 2 Game 3g, 0a

2006 Olympics 2 Game 0g, 0a
2010 Olympics 1 Game 0g, 1a

2007 Playoffs 1 Game 0g, 0a
2008 Playoffs 2 Game 1g, 2a
2009 Playoffs 3 Game 0g, 3a
2010 Playoffs 1 Game 0g, 0a

Old
05-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Beerfish

I was going to jokingly say that one of these threads was going to pop up in the Germany/Russia game thread and here it is.

Would I trade any three members of the team I cheer for for Ovechkin? Yes.

Would I trade any single member of my national team for Ovechkin? There would only be one that would give me pause.

There are only about 100 lesser hockey players around that one can beef about and yet we see more Ovechkin and Crosby tear em down threads than anything. These are the two best players in our game today and they are very close as to who has the bigger impact over all. They may not be in Gretzky territory but you can look back on a player like Bobby Orr, as great as he is how many cups did the Bruins win when he was there.

It's damn hard to be a great player in the NHL. It's damn hard to be an impact player every night. Ovechkins time will come.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Sayuri

I don't think anyone has ever thought of Ovechkin as having above average hockey sense or being overly intelligent in his style of play. He plays with power, speed and an amazing shot.

He knows his strengths and does his best to utilize them, sometimes when up against well prepared competition it just doesn't work for him. I doubt that will ever change.

When playing against him you have to be ready to handle him or you will likely lose, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 08:08 PM
TheReaper

Malkin's line is just outplaying Ovy's. Datsyuk has the same number of points as Ovy but in 3 less games. Malkin got 1 more point in 4 fewer games. Maybe Ovy is not playing as well as he can, but his line is also to blame.

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I agree that when one man (e.g., Richards, Chara) tries to play him physical he responds and often overwhelms his opponent. On the other hand, when a team has played against him physically (see Team Canada at the WJC 2005 and the Olympics 2010) he has backed off surprisingly. Such a strategy is difficult to employ in the NHL because no NHL team has numerous defenseman like Weber, Doughty, Pronger, etc... to constantly engage and skate with Ovechkin. Since this thread has an international origin to it, however, I believe my criticism is just.
so essentially the key to shutting down Ovechkin is to throw 6 of the absolute best defensemen in the NHL at him all game? Ok...

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaze View Post
As much as I like Ovechkin, he was invisible in the Germany game.
you mean he underperformed in a game that everyone speculated he would sit out because he was injured? Shocking.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
so essentially the key to shutting down Ovechkin is to throw 6 of the absolute best defensemen in the NHL at him all game? Ok...
Of course that's what he's saying. If you match Ovechkin up with the best shutdown D in the world, he will only score some of the time.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:51 PM
aBurmistrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
you mean he underperformed in a game that everyone speculated he would sit out because he was injured? Shocking.
Hes injured?

aBurmistrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Of course that's what he's saying. If you match Ovechkin up with the best shutdown D in the world, he will only score some of the time.
Actually Ovechkin will get blanked, turn over the puck numerous times, not backcheck allowing the other team to score, and then give up trying halfway through the game after he has picked himself up off the ice a few times. It is a clever strategy to use his own propensity for engaging his opponents physically against him, especially when he is too bull-headed to change his approach mid-game, which was my original point.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:48 AM
llwyd

Well, I have nothing but admiration for Ovechkin for coming to these tournaments that many big stars actually often avoid. He plays his heart out, but this time at least it has seemed like bit too much individual effort that often creates chances for the opponents. The Russian powerplay seems like embarrasment of riches - if possible there is too much talent out there... I know it's no use advising the Russians in anything (that gigantic chip on the shoulder), but sometimes one cannot but wonder that should there maybe be bit less offensive talent and a bit more physical grinding in the team?

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:10 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
he's had one moment. The gold medal winning goal. That's it. After that its a long list of nothing.
Yeah, real long list. One game 7.

I would add Game 7 of the Caps series last year to the moments list.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Yeah, real long list. One game 7.

I would add Game 7 of the Caps series last year to the moments list.
Plus shootout winner vs. Switzerland

Old
05-23-2010, 03:02 PM
fuechsken

Great hit by Ovechkin to take out Fedorov and give the Czech team the chance to score their second :-P

fuechsken is offline   Reply With Quote