HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

When your teammates attack...YOU

Old
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
When your teammates attack...YOU

Man it was an interesting session tonight.

We had a scrimmage. Half the guys from my former team vs. Half the guys on my new team(we're playing in two different locations).

Anyways...one of my take no prisoners team-mates bumped into a 16 year old girl tonight and hurt her(believe me she was damned good skating around all of us).

So that led to both teams stopping play, and, playing in their own zones.

At any rate, we were just kinda having fun...my team Captain(I'm the asst) decided to slew foot me. He sort of yelled out it was an accident, but I was like yeah right.

I know there is an inherent risk playing hockey, but I seriously cannot afford to get hurt. So, I wasn't happy.

He ended up skating to the bench, and I tapped him with my stick a few times on his head...and he just went crazy on me. F'in cussing me out, tapping me with his stick and such.

Now, I can put up with a lot of crap, and I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt, because he's kind of my friend, but that really pissed me off. I wasn't expecting a teammate of mine to go off on me like that even if it was just a scrimmage, and we were having fun.

I've seen him play before, and do the same thing, so I don't see his slew foot as any accident at all. Every player knows where his stick and body are going 90% of the time at least.

I was less pleased with his show me up reaction. I kept my cool the entire time though.

Later on, I took a re-directed puck off my ear, and that hurt like hell even with my ear guards. So I decided things needed to stop for the night.

I guess, tit for tat. Was his reaction a bit overboard, or do you think I was well within my right to mess with him back?

He did apologize later on, and I realize this is hockey things will happen out on the ice...but our friendship might not ever be the same ya know? This is the type of thing you don't forget very easily.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Toe Drag Fist Pump

ahh I just absolutely hate it when people hit my helmet like that and I get angry even if it's just playing around haha.. maybe you should've just yelled at him or something lol

Toe Drag Fist Pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:49 PM
timekeep

geez with teammates like that who needs opponents, don't get what kind of hockey you're playing.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Hockeyfan68

I tap people on the helmet as in for fun ... haven't had anyone blow up on me for it yet.

Sometimes I purposefully poke at the goalie who froze the puck literally 10 times for fun in a manner that does not hurt so they don't get mad.

So ... did you gently tap his helmet or did you give it a few good pokes?

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

lol, all this for just a scrimmage?

We were called for a bench penalty for fighting amongst ourselves.

There were also 2 game misconducts.

It was a verbal altercation that had festered over several days and eventually turned physical.

Alcohol + strong personalities made for a pathetic recipe of unsportsmanlike behavior.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:09 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czerkawski View Post
ahh I just absolutely hate it when people hit my helmet like that and I get angry even if it's just playing around haha.. maybe you should've just yelled at him or something lol
2 things that will make me go crazy on somebody-slew footing me or touching my helmet in anyway. I wouldn't apologize to the guy, once you do a dirty play on somebody you're fair game for whatever they have in store for you.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Axxion89

Yea for me you wanna play dirty then you pay the consequences. Only time I had to deal with that was some punk high schooler who wouldn't get off the ice during open hockey at all and when asked to take a break he replied "******* You". Needless to say after that, and taking a breakway from me, I hip ran his ass into the boards pretending I couldn't stop, he didn't hog ice time after that...

Different than your story but regardless is a pick up game, if you can't play and have fun then get off the ice

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Sounds like something a couple of beers after next game could solve, if even that much is required. I play mostly amongst friends more than acquaintances, so we get going after each other pretty good. On game day we're all on the same team again and no one holds grudges over stupid stuff like this. Maybe he was just in a bad mood over something else that day.

If the guy is gonna stay mad about something like that for very long, well he's just an a-hole.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Pierre Gotye

Yeah it kind of pisses me off. My respect level for the guy has dropped significantly. He knew exactly what he was doing when he took me out, yet claims all up and down: "It was an accident." Yeah, I've heard all that crap before.

As a player(and he's a decent enough skater) you know where your stick and body are going 90% of the time. He knew exactly what he was doing.

He just went nuts on me on the bench, cuss me out slammed his stick on my helmet, even jacked up my visor a bit. I didn't lose my cool, but I should have counter blown up on him back. I was just kind of shocked he got so angry.

All I did was tap his helmet a couple of times.

I know how he plays, he does that kind of crap usually to his opponents. He'll swear all up and down he didn't do anything, but will go nuts when someone tries to get back at him.

He apologized later, but I felt little to no need to apologize back.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Maybe he was just in a bad mood over something else that day.

If the guy is gonna stay mad about something like that for very long, well he's just an a-hole.
Well I think my other teammate hurting that chic didn't help but, I had nothing to do with that.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
lol, all this for just a scrimmage?

We were called for a bench penalty for fighting amongst ourselves.

There were also 2 game misconducts.

It was a verbal altercation that had festered over several days and eventually turned physical.

Alcohol + strong personalities made for a pathetic recipe of unsportsmanlike behavior.
Yeah just a random scrimmage. We had beers later on. I've never seen the guy drink before, but he consumed two afterwards, it was really weird.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Badger36

Sounds like a lot of drama for a scrimmage. Honestly, if I felt like someone had slew footed me on purpose, I would have done the exact same thing and if the guy had risen up on me like that guy did to you, well, the gloves and helmet would have come off and it would have been on.
I dont care if its just a scrimmge or even a pick up pond hockey game, you dont let ANYONE push you around out on the ice. Letting people push you around like that is only going to earn you a reputation of being soft and then no one is ever going to respect you.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Yeah it kind of pisses me off. My respect level for the guy has dropped significantly. He knew exactly what he was doing when he took me out, yet claims all up and down: "It was an accident." Yeah, I've heard all that crap before.
What if it was (as he claimed) an accident?

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Lario Melieux*

Dogg, you gotta keep it real son. Represent where you came from. If a fool is actin up, step up and smack that ***** down put him in is motha ****in place. You might have to start packin that burner

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
What if it was (as he claimed) an accident?
During another game in the playoffs, a guy I knew tripped me from behind and I ended up injuring my arm. He said the exact same thing: "It was an accident." Funny how these things always end up being: "An accident." They both know better.

I don't necessarily have eyes in the back of my head, but I know a b.s.er when they speak.

Both players claim otherwise, but, I don't believe the either of them. There's always incidental contact, but there is also stuff that's intentional too.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Dogg, you gotta keep it real son. Represent where you came from. If a fool is actin up, step up and smack that ***** down put him in is motha ****in place. You might have to start packin that burner
Well I don't play hockey with the intention of fighting or getting scrappy with anyone, especially my teammates. Yes, hockey is a game of emotions, but there's just some things that you don't do.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:51 PM
KevFist
is best pony

A REAL man lets it go. An eye for an eye makes everyone blind. Now if it's something just horrible, yeah...Do something about it. But a slewfoot? Just let it go. You never know what someone's been through during the day. Discuss it later, but there's no need to escalate a situation. Also, never tap someone on their helmet for any reason...

And as for you, dude who pokes at goalies when they freeze the puck.... You do realize that's a really good way to hurt a goalie, right?

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:44 AM
fearitself

Anyone who cannot control their emotions during a pick-up hockey game obviously hasn't played the game that long, nor at a high level. Anyone who has to bodycheck/trip/hook people because they can't keep up should find a game that is their pace.

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Heat McManus

Because of my schedule I only play noon drop-in for the most part. There's a good group of regulars and the occasional, inevitable stupid crap, but I've been at this place for 4 years and never really had a problem with anybody.

This one kid starts showing up. No idea what he's doing. Boards me. I turn around and shove him and he goes, "That's hockey!".....No, that's a PENALTY in hockey. Another time in warm-ups, he shoots a puck at me. I let it go.
Third time (might have even been one in between) he cross-checks me in the back of the neck. I turn around, shove him. Yell a bit. Then slash him and snap his stick. Figured it was safer than slashing his arm or neck.

Same kid also attacked HIS OWN teammate. Full on tackle. A few months back a guy I know lit him up with an open ice hit and he hasn't been back. Good riddance.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Avery4Byng*

What kind of glue do you use in your gloves?

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
During another game in the playoffs, a guy I knew tripped me from behind and I ended up injuring my arm. He said the exact same thing: "It was an accident." Funny how these things always end up being: "An accident." They both know better.

I don't necessarily have eyes in the back of my head, but I know a b.s.er when they speak.

Both players claim otherwise, but, I don't believe the either of them. There's always incidental contact, but there is also stuff that's intentional too.
But this is your team captain - it seems like he'd deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I wasn't there, so I can't tell you what I would have done. If it *was* an accident, then you certainly escalated things.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
And as for you, dude who pokes at goalies when they freeze the puck.... You do realize that's a really good way to hurt a goalie, right?
My team mates do this sometimes to me and they're always careful to get me on a leg pad or something just to break balls a lil bit. I'm sure he is careful too. Hell sometimes after a big save guy will come up and give you the "good job" tap on the pads.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery4Byng View Post
I like the thinking, but it doesn't make a lot of sense when people are wearing cages, plus some rinks have general no tolerance policies, and a lifetime ban or even a one game suspension doesn't justify some under the skin garbage, and don't forget the lawsuit when you send the guy to the oral surgeon.

I think the hard open ice hit is the best solution if just telling the guy to knock it off doesn't work.

Those non-apologetic apologies, the ones that come with an excuse, often to try to get you to share the blame, is always the indicator that the original incident was intentional, admitted or not.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 05-24-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery4Byng View Post
the kind that lets me keep my job.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:

My guess? You're not as strong on your skates as you think you are, and you're misinterpreting accidental catchups with other player's feet as slewfoots when they're really innocent contact. Real slewfoots are quite rare in every level of hockey I've played in or watched.

Sorry, but I'm betting you're squarely in the wrong on this one. Skates get mixed up by accident all the time and people fall. Get up and move on with your life, and if falling on the ice kills you, get better pants.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote