HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Semifinal • 05/22/10 • Sweden 2, Czech Republic 3 (SO)

View Poll Results: Pick the winner
Sweden 17 85.00%
Czech Republic 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Uncle Rotter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
Russians are the most loaded team on the tournament, they beat in a waltz tempo anybody who dresses up against them and they take no prisoners.
Like Germany?

Old
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
Congrats to the Czech Republic.

I'm shocked Sweden lost.
gustavsson is such an overrated goalie.

Old
05-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post
The Swedish guys on the ice had already played a 55-second shift before the faceoff took place at 59.45. How on earth can it be a "huge coaching mistake" to give them a little rest? I think the real mistake was to shoot the puck for an icing.

For BÅG it would have been a mistake NOT to call a time-out at that point.
I don't get this. IT WAS A MISTAKE!

1. When you take a time out, when your opponents are disorganized, you don't give them time to regroup, thats what BÅG did. If you factor this:

-What team will benefit from the time out? Is it more important for us to rest our players then to let the other team play the last drop of the game disorganized? NO! You take a chance, you dont' give your opponents that kind of a break. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Last edited by Crazyhorse: 05-22-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old
05-22-2010, 01:49 PM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bascombe View Post
And yet you go on and on about it.
Why not, this is a hockey forum after all. I just don't buy the story of invincible Swedish players who were backstabbed by their own coach otherwise they would have beaten everything in the Universe including Chuck Norris. And we've seen the proof thay not every Swede agrees on the BÅG bashing.

It's like this in every hockey country. I recall dozens of threads by Canadian fans here on hfboards about Stevie Yzerman being a total dummy after he announced the Olympic nomination. Same thing back home, same thing with Slovaks. Germans still criticize Uwe Krupp after he helped them into semi-finals.

Seems every head coach out there on the tournament is a jerk who knows squat about hockey. One would think Swedish hockey association could poll a head coach in a public lottery among the currently unemployed and it wouldn't be worse than this...

Old
05-22-2010, 01:52 PM
ice4711

I was at the arena today, because my girlfriend is from the czech republic. But i must say, it was a great experience. I think i might become a ice hockey fan because of that game (and also because of the performance of the german team). Ice hockey is a great game

However about the icing, i disagree. It was not a mistake. It was a shot on the empty goal. If he scored, the game would have been decided. He missed, so it was icing. I think taking the risk at that moment was worth it.

Overall i think that in the first two periods sweden was the better team, however in the 3rd period the czech showed their fighting spirit and the win was not undeserved.

Good luck to the czech team tomorrow. Please take revenge on the russians for the german loss today.

Old
05-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Why not, this is a hockey forum after all. I just don't buy the story of invincible Swedish players who were backstabbed by their own coach otherwise they would have beaten everything in the Universe including Chuck Norris. And we've seen the proof thay not every Swede agrees on the BÅG bashing.

It's like this in every hockey country. I recall dozens of threads by Canadian fans here on hfboards about Stevie Yzerman being a total dummy after he announced the Olympic nomination. Same thing back home, same thing with Slovaks. Germans still criticize Uwe Krupp after he helped them into semi-finals.

Seems every head coach out there on the tournament is a jerk who knows squat about hockey. One would think Swedish hockey association could poll a head coach in a public lottery among the currently unemployed and it wouldn't be worse than this...
Well, then you shouldn't be surprised that people are persisting on the contrary to your opinion. I wouldn't say anything about Ruzicka as a coach(except that he sucks, besides that gold in 05'), and i really don't care about your explanations either. You had a better team last year than Sweden, yet lost anyway. This time around, you where outplayed by the majority of the game and played a strong last third of the game, and got some help from the swedish coach. If you see that as an excuse, i couldn't care less, because that's what happenend.

Old
05-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4711 View Post
However about the icing, i disagree. It was not a mistake. It was a shot on the empty goal. If he scored, the game would have been decided. He missed, so it was icing. I think taking the risk at that moment was worth it.
You should probably first go see more than just one game of hockey. Then you could ask someone what the blue lines on the ice are for. After that you will probably understand that with 20 seconds on the clock it is not a risk worth taking. What you should try to do at that point is to shoot the puck high up into the air so that it will drop somewhere near the opposing team's blue line and not cross the line in their end.

Old
05-22-2010, 02:21 PM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I wouldn't say anything about Ruzicka as a coach(except that he sucks, besides that gold in 05')
That's a direct contradiction in one sentence, genius.

Quote:
You had a better team last year than Sweden, yet lost anyway. This time around, you where outplayed by the majority of the game and played a strong last third of the game
Nice resume of my post 2 pages back, so thanks for the "news".

Quote:
and got some help from the swedish coach.
Would you care to elaborate on this? How is a timeout after icing in a situation when you're being hard pressed for an equalizing tally a coaching mistake? He has done what he absolutelly must have done. If he didn't do that and you won, you'd be criticizing him exactly for not doing so.

Old
05-22-2010, 02:37 PM
zorz

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate on this? How is a timeout after icing in a situation when you're being hard pressed for an equalizing tally a coaching mistake? He has done what he absolutelly must have done. If he didn't do that and you won, you'd be criticizing him exactly for not doing so.
I also really don't understand this position of swedish fans... probably coaches in Sweden are doing this differently unlike coaches in Czech Republic. I can't see another answer for that.

Old
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Oyabun

Quote:

This is just your contempt for the Swedish team shining through. Seeing how Sweden was your "dislike team" in the thread down below, nothing surprising.

Old
05-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I also really don't understand this position of swedish fans... probably coaches in Sweden are doing this differently unlike coaches in Czech Republic. I can't see another answer for that.
Obviously it must be different. I think it has been spelled out again and again. You let a desperate play flow and sabotage the attack. 15! seconds to go.

Is it really the Czech way to hand the opposite team a timeout and let them set up a final attack with seconds to go.

Old
05-22-2010, 04:36 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Obviously it must be different. I think it has been spelled out again and again. You let a desperate play flow and sabotage the attack. 15! seconds to go.

Is it really the Czech way to hand the opposite team a timeout and let them set up a final attack with seconds to go.
No, but it is our way to give 5 tired players after icing some rest and some instructions... it would be suicide to let them play 15 more seconds against 6 fresh opponents

Old
05-22-2010, 04:53 PM
wwvdw

The fact that there was an icing from Sweden also indicates that Sweden was the disorganized team, not the Czechs....

Taking a timeout in that situation is icehockey coaching 101. If you want to bash BÅG then go for his shoutout picks...

Johansson ****ed up, plain and simple.

Old
05-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Snauen*

Quote:
No, but it is our way to give 5 tired players after icing some rest and some instructions... it would be suicide to let them play 15 more seconds against 6 fresh opponents
Good point! And Im a Swede. Congrats to the Czechs for winning the shootout. Way to much whining about the coaching from Swedish fans. I myself believe BÅG is one of the smarter coaches in Sweden, especially EQ-wise.

Old
05-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Maybe the wrong Magnus jumped over the boards.
Yeah, Magnus Harenstam was the right choice.

Old
05-22-2010, 06:03 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4711 View Post
I was at the arena today, because my girlfriend is from the czech republic. But i must say, it was a great experience. I think i might become a ice hockey fan because of that game (and also because of the performance of the german team). Ice hockey is a great game

Overall i think that in the first two periods sweden was the better team, however in the 3rd period the czech showed their fighting spirit and the win was not undeserved.

Good luck to the czech team tomorrow. Please take revenge on the russians for the german loss today.
Glad you enjoyed the game

Regarding the icing thing, most people will disagree with you. You are correct in saying that the game would have been all but over had he scored however its generally not considered a good risk to take. If you can't cross the centre line then play the puck off the boards or loop it up in the air or softly play it out of the zone. It really comes down to the old saying, you better be safe then sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipethesniper View Post
gustavsson is such an overrated goalie.
Say what you want about Gustavsson but he gave Sweden a chance to win. That's all a team can really ask from their goalie on most nights.

Old
05-22-2010, 07:40 PM
PanniniClaus

The Swedes should have been able to tap dance over the Czechs but they brought a pile of players that have no intrest in paying the price to score.

Going to make for a sketchy final unless Vokoun plays out of his mind. This might be the worst team I have seen the Czechs bring to the Worlds........ and they are in the final!

Old
05-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Holkoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
The Swedes should have been able to tap dance over the Czechs but they brought a pile of players that have no intrest in paying the price to score.

Going to make for a sketchy final unless Vokoun plays out of his mind. This might be the worst team I have seen the Czechs bring to the Worlds........ and they are in the final!
You are totally wrong, man. This is one of the greatest Czech TEAMS ever. You might be surprised, but hockey is the team game, so it is not about how the roster looks strong on the paper. The most important is the chemistry, fighting spirit and hardwork. This team has it all unlike the team we have in Olympics.

Old
05-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Ribban

OK. I don't like BÅG AT ALL, but in this particular case, I have to support him. Had he not taken the time-out and the Czechs had scored, guess what all the experts would have said then? "How can you stand there and do nothing when you have a time-out left to give your 5 tired guys a blow before playing off the last 15 seconds?!?!?"

With 15 secs left, and 5 tired players, defending 6 rested players, take the time out. 6 on 5 is not a high percentage play, and the odds are even more favorable for the defending team if they the defenders are somewhat rested. Focusing on the time-out is silly. We shouldn't even have been in that position.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:21 AM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holkoun View Post
You are totally wrong, man. This is one of the greatest Czech TEAMS ever. You might be surprised, but hockey is the team game, so it is not about how the roster looks strong on the paper. The most important is the chemistry, fighting spirit and hardwork. This team has it all unlike the team we have in Olympics.
I am talking on paper. The Olympic team was weak on paper too and finished where they deserved to finish.

It would be nice to see them knock off the Russians.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:34 AM
mozart4

First of all it was a great game and gz to the Czech for the win, they deserved it after their great finish. The time out sure was a bit controversial, but it's not what lost us the game. If we had taken better care of our powerplay opportunities it would've been over long before those last 15 seconds.

GL vs Russia, I'll be cheering for the Czech!

Old
05-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
That's a direct contradiction in one sentence, genius.
You have no sense of sarcasm?

Quote:
Nice resume of my post 2 pages back, so thanks for the "news".
Glad to be of service.

Quote:
I wouldn't have criticized him. He wouldn't have given the czechs time to regroup, and our players could have held out 15 ****** seconds, thats hardly much time to hold out.

Anyway, we lost, you won. Good luck against the russians, you will need it!

Old
05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwvdw View Post
The fact that there was an icing from Sweden also indicates that Sweden was the disorganized team, not the Czechs....
Ehm, he missed the EN-goald with 10 centimeters... it wasn't like he was desperate throwing it out. Did you watch the game at all?

Old
05-23-2010, 12:05 PM
gmaledotcom

Johansson is the one who ****ed up with his inability to clear the puck, not BÅG and the timeout.

Closed Thread