HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Penguins Should Move Malkin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
  #101
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
in 4 years of playoff games,he has more points then games played.but you are right,hes just been good,not great.


you lose this argument so badly its not even funny.just admit you hate the guy.


the guys a superstar,period.stats back it up.your argument of him taking off series just doesnt work and is easily disputed.
so you asked when did he disdasppear i give you 2 points in the 08 finals and you turn it into i hate the guy.

what do you call that? i call it malkin turning into a ghost.

everytime i make a point somebody just makes another post saying just admit you hate the guy. somebody please tell me what makes him a playoff megastar outside of 09.


Last edited by chip chipperson*: 05-23-2010 at 09:23 AM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
  #102
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
How unfortunate. A point by point rant in reply to this post disappeared.

Instead of re-writing it all again, I'll just say that,

1: The post above is an enormous load of crap.

2: I imagine you will grant me and everyone else that Mark Messier was one of the proverbial playoff superstars and richly deserves that moniker. Please do try and compare what he had done at Geno's age (which in his case includes 6 playoff runs), and see if you find it more impressive. Be good and remember that there was also a certain guy on that team who had 50 percent more points than Messier while playing less games, another guy scoring more in Jari Kurri and two more players in hot pursuit of Messier's totals in Anderson and Coffey.

3: Then remember that only Crosby and Zetterberg have more playoff points than Malkin over these past four years. Both of them with 7 more points, Crosby having had better linemates every year, and Zetterberg having played 15 more games.

4: If this season, a down-season for sure, is Malkin taking a year off after playing more hockey in the two preceding seasons than any other NHL skater, we're pretty blessed. Considering that he got 77 points in 67 games having Ruslan Fedotenko plus Dupuis/Talbot/AHL call-ups on his line throughout. That is 5 on 5 support that would make your own Gaborik scream.
im specifically talking about playoffs when i say take a year off. just about all of malkins success in the playoffs comes back to 09 when he played great. outside of 09 he is a ghost. is 2 points in the 08 finals great? is it good? or is it bad? now keep in mind that he is a superstar. take out 09 and you can see the guy has just been good in the playoffs thats all.

and now someone is comparing malkin to messier. instead of doing that i'll ask you the question too, outside of 09 what makes malkin a playoff megastar? everyone so far just like you picks their spots to debate about. i suppose your next post if you make one will be something like 73 in 62 you hate the guy. i have said time and time again that malkin could be a future playoff megastar just like messier and in the end he may even have better playoff stats than messier. thats when i will say he is a playoff megastar not because he had 1 great year sandwhiched in between disappearing acts. and what are you trying to do discredit messier by saying he played on a great team? malkin plays with the best player in the game on pitts powerplay and in 08 they had marian hossa. if your going to attribute messiers success to those around him you could do the same for malkin.


Last edited by chip chipperson*: 05-23-2010 at 09:40 AM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:44 PM
  #103
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
and now someone is comparing malkin to messier. instead of doing that i'll ask you the question too, outside of 09 what makes malkin a playoff megastar?
The fact that besides his huge year, including one first round exit as a rookie and a second round exit in what was for him a down year, he has 37 playoff points in 38 games - ie. pretty much a point per game pace without counting a Conn Smythe year that puts him in historic territory. Very few players will do better than PPG in any case, and especially few will if choose not to count their best seasons. Why you'd even ponder not counting a season in which he was responsible for the Pens actually winning it all.... that I'll never understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
malkin plays with the best player in the game on pitts powerplay and in 08 they had marian hossa.
Pens PP hasn't been better than OK in any playoff year with Sid/Malkin, and now that you mention Hossa, lets not forget that he was on Sid's line for just one of these seasons, and he wasn't there when we won the cup. Last year he was instead running around with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidström, Franzen and Rafalski on the Detroit PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
is 2 points in the 08 finals great? is it good? or is it bad?
He had three points. One goal, two assists in six games. Playing hurt. Nothing special, but then again we got creamed, by a much better team. It has happened to other superstars in the past too, you know. Even Gretzky didn't score a goal when the Oilers got swept by the Islanders in his first trip to the finals.
Three points btw. is an identical total with what Crosby managed last year in 7 games. Crosby had 6 points in 08 with Hossa and Dupuis on his line. Malkin had 8 points last season with Feds and Talbot. So... in two Stanley Cup final series against Detroit, Crosby has 9 points, 3 goals. Malkin has 11 points, 3 goals. What is your point - or is Crosby's playoff pedigree overrated too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
if your going to attribute messiers success to those around him you could do the same for malkin.
Yeah - because the Edmonton Oilers Dynasty in the days with no cap and out-there scoring really bears a hell of a resemblance to the Pittsburgh Penguins of the past couple of years!
In our cup year, we had four players who hit 20+ goals in the regular season with Sid and Malkin being the only ones to top 30. One of those 4 (Sykora) got scratched for almost the entire playoffs, and we had no one who scored 40, but of course you can count Kunitz/Guerin (Crosby's linemates) who arrived after the deadline and both just clipped 20.

Anyway, the year before Edmonton won their first cup - they had this:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000411982.html and the years after they had about as many guys getting 100+ points as we've had 20 goal scorers in Malkin's time with the Pens!

...yet you want to credit Malkin's success to Crosby who isn't even on his line, or maybe linemates like Fedotenko and Talbot with career highs of 41 points and 26 points respectively. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
  #104
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
i'm done talking about this. all anyone does is change the subject. now ive got one guy talking about the 80's oilers. no body can give me a clear cut answer as to what has malkin done outside of 09 to be so great in the playoffs. no body is going to change my mind. 1 great year surrounded by acts of now you see him now you dont imo does not make you a playoff megastar. 3 points in the 08 finals. if anybody else wants to know when he disappeared, there you go.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:14 PM
  #105
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i'm done talking about this. all anyone does is change the subject. now ive got one guy talking about the 80's oilers. no body can give me a clear cut answer as to what has malkin done outside of 09 to be so great in the playoffs. no body is going to change my mind. 1 great year surrounded by acts of now you see him now you dont imo does not make you a playoff megastar. 3 points in the 08 finals. if anybody else wants to know when he disappeared, there you go.
Malkin was great in 08, and has been ppg every year in the playoffs. He has the capacity to single handedly win you the cup and win the conn smythe and he isn't even in his prime. You're ridiculous. When you look back at this thread in 3 years you're going to feel like a complete idiot.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:15 PM
  #106
dynamoovechkin
Registered User
 
dynamoovechkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Malkin, IMHO is better than Kovalchuk, and that is saying something. If Slats could pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh, it would be miraculous. Outside of Henke, there isn't a single player that I wouldn't hesitate moving to make it happen.

The only issue I have is that Malkin's personality is not a fit for the bright lights of Bway. I can see Torts calling him out in the papers like he did with Gabby- that would be ugly.

I have him as the third best forward in the league behind Ovechkin and Crosby and ahead of Sedin and Toews.

When he is counted on to be the MAN, he shines. The guy has it all, and is most notable for his vision and high hockey IQ. Any team he is on is a threat- we should only be so lucky.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:01 AM
  #107
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i'm not crazy about him as far as a superstar goes. hes not in the same league as ovechkin and crosby. and some of his stats are padded because there are plenty of times he plays with crosby. he played this entire year hurt... great so did just about every other player in the league. sean avery finished a playoff game with a busted spleen (in the 1st period). why dont you like him? malkin disappears for good stretches whether its regular season or playoffs. i happen to think that he played bad vs the canadiens. he won the conn smyth last year, i give him credit for that but how about the year before when he disappeared in the finals and said he was tired. not the kind of attitude anybody should have in the playoffs. tone down the megastar in the playoffs, hes not their yet even with his conn smyth. and i happen to think he is a piece of **** dirty player. so just because i am not crazy about malkin i cant like staal callahan and who ever else... at what time did you take it upon yourself to decide that for me. i will choose to like and dislike whoever i want.
This is what caused so many to not take you seriously. Just noticed that you think him to be dirty. All evidence points to you taking a stand based on your personal dislike that in no way resembles what an enormous talent and producer he has been.

It's also funny that you sing the praises of the insanely inconsistent Avery while accusing Malkin of disappearing. Sort of comical to most fans of the game.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
  #108
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
This is what caused so many to not take you seriously. Just noticed that you think him to be dirty. All evidence points to you taking a stand based on your personal dislike that in no way resembles what an enormous talent and producer he has been.

It's also funny that you sing the praises of the insanely inconsistent Avery while accusing Malkin of disappearing. Sort of comical to most fans of the game.
now were talking about avery.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
  #109
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i'm done talking about this. all anyone does is change the subject. now ive got one guy talking about the 80's oilers. no body can give me a clear cut answer as to what has malkin done outside of 09 to be so great in the playoffs. no body is going to change my mind. 1 great year surrounded by acts of now you see him now you dont imo does not make you a playoff megastar. 3 points in the 08 finals. if anybody else wants to know when he disappeared, there you go.
You can, quite literally, apply your empty argument to the greatest players in the history of the game. Theres not a single player in the history of the NHL that has dominated every single playoff series they've ever took part in.

So, even though you've done an extremely poor job in defining it in the first place, maybe your made up term of "playoff megastar" is just plain old unattainable. And maybe you think so many people are going "off topic" by trying to provide tangible data because you dont know what to think besides the fact you hate Malkin for whatever reason.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:27 AM
  #110
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You can, quite literally, apply your empty argument to the greatest players in the history of the game. Theres not a single player in the history of the NHL that has dominated every single playoff series they've ever took part in.

So, even though you've done an extremely poor job in defining it in the first place, maybe your made up term of "playoff megastar" is just plain old unattainable. And maybe you think so many people are going "off topic" by trying to provide tangible data because you dont know what to think besides the fact you hate Malkin for whatever reason.
i didn't make up playoff megastar chosen did.

all anyone does after i give stats on MALKIN is say you hate the guy. Poor job my ass if anyone has done a poor job its the posters defending him.

my empty argument whats empty about malkin playing great for only 1 year out of 4. if your going to say someone like gretzky took a series off look over the course of his whole career and his stats still make him a star. malkin takes series off and if you want to compare gretzky to malkin let malkin play his entire career first.

but so far none of the points i've made have any bearing because i hate the guy. one guy asked when did malkin disappear, i gave him 3points in the 08 finals and his next post was just admit you hate the guy. bull **** you guys have nothing to go to so you use the you hate the guy escape argument.


Last edited by chip chipperson*: 05-24-2010 at 11:32 AM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.