HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers information-MZA,McD and Christensen

Old
05-23-2010, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Rangers information-MZA,McD and Christensen

Quote:
The Rangers will announce the signing of free agent Mats Zuccarello-Aasen this week following the conclusion of the World Championship tournament.

The fleet Norwegian Hobbit, who at 5-foot-7 (wink) is a latter day descendent of Herb Brooks' Smurf Mark Pavelich -- the Blueshirts can only pray -- has agreed to a two-year deal believed worth the Entry Level base cap of $900,000. It's unknown whether the contract includes bonuses.
Quote:
The Blueshirts have initiated contact and discussions with Ryan McDonough's family advisers that will continue this week, we've been informed. As a college athlete, the Wisconsin senior is not permitted to retain an agent to negotiate on his behalf while maintaining his NCAA eligibility.
Quote:
The Rangers also are expected to begin talks this week with the representatives for Erik Christensen, the midseason waiver acquisition who completed the year as the Blueshirts' first-line center.
Slap Shots has learned from several sources that Christensen, an impending restricted free agent owed an $840,000 qualifier, played the final two games of the season against the Flyers with a separated shoulder he sustained late in the April 7 match at the Garden against the Maple Leafs, when he was run into the wall late in the third period by Francois Beauchemin.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0okGYSxjA

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:07 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Bonuses for MZA. The NHLPA better exercise their 1 year extension of the CBA before June 30 or there will not be any bonus cushion for 2010-11. The same thing happened in June 2008. The PA had the right to opt out of the CBA after 08-09 but waited too long to not exercise that option so most of the 08-09 season was played with no bonus cushion. At the end of that season,the NHL and NHLPA came up with an agreement for a bonus cushion. 7.5% overage applied to the following season.

Just sign the contract McDonagh. So many WCHA teams have better recruiting classes than Wisconsin who only lost 6 of their top 9 forwards and has one good frosh coming in next season.

Contract talks with Christensen?Here is what will be your 1 year QO in late June. Sign it. Take it or leave it.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:08 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Christensen made $750,000 last season. Players making between $660,000-$1 million receive 105% as a QO. When I went to school,$750,000 times 105% was $787,500 and not $840,000.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:24 AM
eco's bones

Interesting the jab at Tortorella at the end for singling out Christensen's play as uninspired in the last two games of the season against the Flyers when the guy was playing with a separated shoulder. Had the Rangers managed to pull off a victory against the Flyers in that final game we would have been going into the playoffs without Avery and with Callahan and Christensen seriously banged up and nowhere near 100 %. Considering the lack of forward depth/secondary scoring and the inexperienced and/or broken down 6 man defense unit it's hard for me to believe like some that the Rangers would have been a serious threat to anybody.

Hoping in any case that MZA does sign and is the real deal. Also want to see McDonagh fighting for a NHL job this coming training camp.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:25 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Had the Rangers managed to pull off a victory against the Flyers in that final game we would have been going into the playoffs without Avery and with Callahan and Christensen seriously banged up and nowhere near 100 %. Considering the lack of forward depth/secondary scoring and the inexperienced and/or broken down 6 man defense unit it's hard for me to believe like some that the Rangers would have been a serious threat to anybody.

But anything can happen if you make the playoffs!

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
If Christensen signed for two years i'd be more than willing to give him a flat 1 mil a year. I imagine that Sather is trying to lock him up as Gab's center for 2 years.

McD, its good that they want the kid this year. The more options we have in camp, the more competitive the fight for a roster spot will be.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Levitate

Christensen might not have told team doctors that his shoulder was ****ed up until after the Rangers were eliminated...so Tortorella wouldn't have known he was playing hurt.

Or not, who knows.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM
DrAStuart

I think the EC injury happened in the game where he left the ice for the last five minutes (and didn't come back when named 1st star). Everybody said he got the wind knocked out of him -- forgetting to mention that he also got his shoulder knocked out of him, too. If that's the case, then I can't believe that Torts didn't know...the training staff would have been treating him immediately.

That said, this is a little worrisome. I like EC and would love to see him back -- I think he's a good choice to centre the second line. BUT if this is the same shoulder that he had surgery on last summer then I'm concerned that this is the beginning of chronic shoulder problems. A simple separation is not a big deal, but when it happens repeatedly it can lead to real problems...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Christensen might not have told team doctors that his shoulder was ****ed up until after the Rangers were eliminated...so Tortorella wouldn't have known he was playing hurt.

Or not, who knows.
Nothing injury wise goes down in pro sports without the team knowing unless your a Met. The shoulder being dislocated 99% of the time means it needs to be set.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:09 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

Or not, who knows.
I seem to remember Christensen having to leave a game after a big hit and not coming back--late in the season. It strikes me that the team's failing had a few people anxious at the breakup meeting including the coach.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Vitto79

If Mc D signs I think Sather uses Sangs in a trade for a scoring C

Sanguinetti deserves to play in the NHL.

I do have a feeling we are going to hear Lecavalier to the Rangers rumors yet again with Rozsival, Sanguinetti as pieces.....I know it will take more than that but Vinny does have a pretty long contract and I think is being moved this year given the Lighting struggles and new managment

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:37 AM
NYR Viper

Overall good news from all of that.

MZA is going to sign, good news.

Mcdonagh is being talked to by the Rangers, good news.

Christensen will probably be retained for super cheap, good news.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:20 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It was reported on May 6 on Madison.com that the Rangers had contacted Ryan McDonagh. That is after Chuck Schwartz from the Wisconsin hockey blog told us in the prospects forum that the Rangers had not contacted McDonagh as of the last week in April which is when the Rangers held their organizational meetings in La Quinta,California. Mark Messier and Doug Risebrough headed to Germany the first week in May so the Rangers had their meetings earlier than usual.

Quote:
Clark will be the only addition during the spring signing period as long as the Badgers don’t have any more underclassmen defect. Eaves said junior defenseman and captain Ryan McDonagh has spoken with the New York Rangers, the NHL club that owns his rights, but it’s too soon to know if McDonagh will join junior defensemen Cody Goloubef (signed with Columbus) and Brendan Smith (intends to sign with Detroit) in departing early.

We’re kind of in a holding pattern right now,” Eaves said of McDonagh. “I think he’s astute enough to know this is going to be a business decision based on what he feels their plan is for him.
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

The Rangers and McDonagh's agent/advisor(he has a certified NHLPA agent who acts as an advisor because all the NCAA players have one)are talking and plan to talk again this week.

Think Ben Hankinson(Minnesota based/former Devil/Lightning player) is McD's agent/advisor. He tweeted about McD and Jake Gardiner. Hankinson only tweets about his clients. Dustin Buff,Paul Martin,Rene Bourque,Mike Lundin,Chris Kunitz,etc.

Quote:
NHL scout told me at Wisc vs Goph game last night that the 2 MN D on Wisc Ryan McDonagh/Jake Gardiner are the best D pair in country.
http://twitter.com/benhankinson/status/10103061198

Old
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If Mc D signs I think Sather uses Sangs in a trade for a scoring C

Sanguinetti deserves to play in the NHL.

I do have a feeling we are going to hear Lecavalier to the Rangers rumors yet again with Rozsival, Sanguinetti as pieces.....I know it will take more than that but Vinny does have a pretty long contract and I think is being moved this year given the Lighting struggles and new managment
Do you think only Sanguinetti will defintely be the player who is traded? I feel Gilroy could be traded, they weren't that happy with his play at the end of the year and I feel he has more value than Sanguinetti. We will see I guess, but I think gilroy and a pick could also be trade bait.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Great to hear that they are in contact with Christ. He is a very cheap option with the terrible cap situation that we're in.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Do you think only Sanguinetti will defintely be the player who is traded? I feel Gilroy could be traded, they weren't that happy with his play at the end of the year and I feel he has more value than Sanguinetti. We will see I guess, but I think gilroy and a pick could also be trade bait.
Matt Gilroy is making $2.1 million(one way contract)in salary next season and he is arbitration eligible next summer. That $2.1 million is his qualifying offer next summer. Gilroy can become a group III in the summer of 2012.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Good news all around.

I'd be happy to bring back Erik for a year or two for under a million a year.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Nothing injury wise goes down in pro sports without the team knowing unless your a Met. The shoulder being dislocated 99% of the time means it needs to be set.
Dislocated and separated are different things, I believe. And I'm pretty sure I've heard of players hiding injuries, or at least the extent of an injury, so that they can continue playing.

Just speculating, at any rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Wouldn't be surprised but I don't think the value is all that high. Gilroy makes more than Sanguinetti and I think teams are still pretty unsure of what his upside is. All they see now is a guy in his mid 20's who's a bottom pairing defenseman who needs to work on being more physical and translating some of his skill into actual points. Not a huge market there.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:04 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
That's really not true. First, it said separated shoulder, which is not the same thing as a dislocated shoulder and does not need to be set. Second, athletes keep things like that quiet all the time. I've had a separated shoulder twice. It's an easy injury to down play.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
We'll probably be hearing Lecavalier rumors until 5 years after he retires. I doubt very very much that he's ever going to come to the Rangers. That being said, anything can happen, and I suppose it could end up becoming true... Just don't count on it.

...I'll say this though, if it does happen, I may boycott the Rangers until he's off the team or until Sather is gone. Whichever happens first, and the way Dolan has faith in that senile moron, Vinny might retire before Glen does.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:40 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
really happy to see we'll most likely be re-signing Chirstensen...I don't know what his problems were before he got to New York, but he put it together on a consistent basis for us as Gaborik's center and was our best puck distributor once he started playing regularly. I have no problem with him as a stop-gap, top 6 forward...it's a much better option than anything in free agency. He'll put up 60 points as Gaborik's center in a full-season, book it.

Have my reservations with MZA...kind of feel like he's just going to be another fringe 2nd liner better served as a 3rd liner.

I really hope we can get McD under contract.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised but I don't think the value is all that high. Gilroy makes more than Sanguinetti and I think teams are still pretty unsure of what his upside is. All they see now is a guy in his mid 20's who's a bottom pairing defenseman who needs to work on being more physical and translating some of his skill into actual points. Not a huge market there.
Gilroy does make a big chunk of change and you are correct it is unclear on what his upside is, however he has some experience and did look pretty good to start the season. It is pretty clear his body was not ready for the 82 game nhl schedule and it really showed as his entire game broke down, he provided no offense, concentrating on defense which was lackluster. I feel he should be much better next season and on a team where he will play with someone better than redden he should offer more offense and better all around play. he will never be more than a 3-4 guy tops, but he has potential to improve.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:30 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
That's really not true. First, it said separated shoulder, which is not the same thing as a dislocated shoulder and does not need to be set. Second, athletes keep things like that quiet all the time. I've had a separated shoulder twice. It's an easy injury to down play.
It might be that EC downplayed the injury, but it is unlikely that Torts didn't know about it. EC left the game and went to the locker room. A trainer would have looked at him and, even if EC downplayed it, the trainer would have said something to the coach. The coach needs to know whatever the trainers know -- especially if they suspect a player's injury might be worse than the player is letting on.

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:41 PM
alkurtz

Love what EC brings to the table and want him back but the thought he would garner 60 points centering Gaborik is really a stretch.

The thought of him as our de facto #1 center is troubling and frightening. He just doesn't have that skill set. He is a nice 3rd line player who can move up for short stretches to play with more skilled players but he just doesn't have the ability to play there on a consistent basis for an entire season.

Resign him? Absolutely. A valuable support player? Most definitely.
Can the Rangers make the playoffs and be a force to be reckoned with when EC as our top center? No way.

Brings back that debate which has simmered here since the end of the season (doesn't that seem like ages ago?) between those who feel you need a legitimate (that includes me) and those who don't.

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

EC, much like MZA, is a skill player, not a 3rd line player.

In the games where Christensen played on Gaborik's line this season, I believe he averaged what would come out to about 53 points over a full season. for 1 mil salary that is a steal.

he's useless on the bottom two lines except as a shootout specialist.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote