HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Remaking the top 6

Old
05-23-2010, 08:13 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Gomez + Pacioretty for Lecavalier. Trade or waive hamrlik. Trade Markov for Iginla. Sign Paul martin.

Cammalleri-Lecavalier-Iginla
X-X-Gionta

WOW
20.7million first line

MooseOllini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:20 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
eww not Price for Clowe. Price for Backes. Trade something else for Clowe. Pouliot + 1st + Kristo for Clowe.
Sounds great. Only thing is, Clowe could potentially be traded. St. Louis will not be trading Backes.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I specifically love the part, in reference to Plekanec, ''We won't go deep into the playoffs with him.''

I guess the Conference Finals and 3rd place (at worst) out of 30 NHL teams is poor. Hell, at this point, we could still win the Stanley Cup.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:26 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
We are in conference finals and people wants to change 4 of the top 6 forwards ? Ridiculous
Agreed, some people are just never happy. We can come back against Philly and beat Chicago in the finals and we will still see posts here asking for weird changes to the team.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I specifically love the part, in reference to Plekanec, ''We won't go deep into the playoffs with him.''

I guess the Conference Finals and 3rd place (at worst) out of 30 NHL teams is poor. Hell, at this point, we could still win the Stanley Cup.
I like Plek, more so than Gomez. I really like both, but plek and gomez have been playing huge minutes all year while being undersized. IMO, that doesn't make it plek's fault, or gomez's fault, but although not relevant to what you said per se, I think we'll have a harder time going forward with gomez, than with plek...solely based on the restrictions due to his contract, but he's a good player. I wish they were both getting 4-5 mil a year and then we can sign a guy like cullen for 3rd line. Damn.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:03 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
If we do lose Plekanec, because we wait too much and we aren't able to give him the money he want, I would try to get Lombardi, he could do an amazing job at a IMO cheap price.
Lombardi can't do what Plekanec does. Not even close.

Quote:
Another option is getting Jokinen he is UFA and I think he could be sign for a not too big cap hit considering his two back to back bad seasons. Remember that the guy had his best seasons in his career being coached by Martin.
Maybe, but he was terrible with Phoenix, terrible with Calgary, and terrible with New York. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I'd approach him with extreme caution.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Agreed, some people are just never happy. We can come back against Philly and beat Chicago in the finals and we will still see posts here asking for weird changes to the team.
If the team's luck holds, Halak stands on his head, and we do win the Cup, it would be nice to make the playoffs next year to defend it.

At this point I think the team is more likely to miss than make them.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
If we do lose Plekanec, because we wait too much and we aren't able to give him the money he want, I would try to get Lombardi, he could do an amazing job at a IMO cheap price. Another option is getting Jokinen he is UFA and I think he could be sign for a not too big cap hit considering his two back to back bad seasons. Remember that the guy had his best seasons in his career being coached by Martin.
Didn't Jokinen and Martin hate each other?

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Lombardi can't do what Plekanec does. Not even close.
It's your opinion, plus he can take all the same defensive Responsability and chip in for 55 pts. It's not exactly the same level of offensive than Plekanec, but if we lose the guy Lombardi could be a nice add to the team to atleast replace Plekanec he is a nice option, we would just need to pray that Gomez return to his 70 pts form.

Quote:
Maybe, but he was terrible with Phoenix, terrible with Calgary, and terrible with New York. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I'd approach him with extreme caution.
Still the terrible Jokinen got 50 which could help us in the event of losing Plekanec and it could help him to play for the only coach that really get him going !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:21 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Not to belittle the very, very valid point that Plekanec is getting all the tough jobs, but he has Mike F. Cammalleri on his wing. And Cammy is the team's best winger, a whisker ahead of Gionta and head and shoulders above everyone else (figuratively speaking, of course ) and the best winger the Habs have had in a while period. And before he had Kovalev, who was consistently the team's best or second-best winger.

Koivu can't do the same job at this point in his career.

I don't agree. I think Koivu would have contributed far more than Pleks did in the playoffs. Especially if he had Cammalleri to work with. He's never had a good linemate until he got Selanne this year, on the downside of his career. We could get him for $3 mil or less, dump Hammer and have cap space for Kovy, and he could put in second line minutes for a couple seasons easy.

IMHO, Montreal needs to get out of the mindset of "getting rid" of players. It's at the root of every single awful trade they've made over the last few years. They need to start managing assets, and AKost is going to be a relatively inexpensive top-six winger.

I don't want to nitpick, but you have to get rid of guys that don't perform in the crunch imo. The guy has no hockey sense, can't skate and doesn't like to fight for anything. Salut mon brave. Hammer is a solid #4, but we don't need to pay $5 mil for that anymore, we have others now. He's not contributing offensively anymore.

That's not a terrible idea if it can be made to fit in the cap -- a Kovalchuk-Gomez-Gionta line is pretty scary, what with Gomez excelling at tilting the ice towards the offensive zone, Kovalchuk excelling at shooting (he's one of the very few players who consistently shoots 15%), and Gionta just excelling. The idea of Kovalchuk taking the shots for generated by Gomez-Gionta is extremely alluring, especially if the Habs have Cammalleri on their back pocket driving the second line. But Kovalchuk is going to demand more money than he's worth. He's an excellent goal-scorer, but he's fairly one-dimensional; I wouldn't spend a 10 million cap hit on the guy. 7ish million, sure. 8ish million, maybe. But someone is going to sign him for more than that.

Then again, it's worth a phone call to see if he might be willing to play for the Habs. It would be nasty on the cap though.

I would roll the dice and pay top dollar for Kovalchuk. That was his first exposure to real hockey. He didn't respond well, but Jersey's blueline doesn't move the puck well, ours does (finally, after all these years).

Oh, please, please no. That kind of thinking led to the black hole of drafting the Habs had before Timmins got over. Too much Western Canadian beef not enough speed or size. Terry Ryan? Jason Ward? I mean, ugh.

Drafting big doesn't mean drafting poorly. I still don't understand the reasoning for letting Getzlaf go. He has size, can skate, has great hands, is mean, was the big righthanded centerman Gainey was always looking for... so??? I haven't heard a good explanation for that one yet. There were rumors that he had a work ethic problem in junior, so they draft Kostitsyn, perhaps the laziest player in the entire first round. If we're gonna play puck possession, we need size, bottom line.

Size is overrated. Size is not losing the Habs this series, and it hasn't lost them a series in years either. The Habs are getting torched by Giroux and Briere, for God's sake -- it's not like they're being lit up by big forwards!

You can't win Cups without size. Period. And you need fire and grit. It's a worn argument, so I won't bore you. Both sides have some merit, but it's no coincidence that teams loaded with Canadians win, Detroit and Pittsburgh aside. Russians and Finns are the exception. That's culturally the way it is at this point in time, though I'm sure it will change and is changing. I'm not talking about superstars here, superstars and superstars. I'm talking about elbow grease.

Charming. And silly.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:22 PM
couris

Clowe-Lombardi-Gionta

Couris for GM.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
coolasprICE

Pouliot and Latendresse should train together in the offseason.

Pouliot will teach Lats about skating, Lats will teach Pouliot about eating.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Clowe-Lombardi-Gionta

Couris for GM.
Wish.

Whatever it takes. He was on the market briefly in 2001, but NOOOOOOO...

I wish this team could pull the trigger on something. Maybe Gauthier will have some pull, but I don't know what we could get from the LA teams that would make us better.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I don't agree. I think Koivu would have contributed far more than Pleks did in the playoffs.
I don't think so. 30-year old Koivu could have, I'm sure, but he's no longer capable of taking on the tough minutes and the defensive faceoffs with the same aplomb he used to. It sucks, but Saku is 34 and life hasn't been kind to him.

Quote:
I don't want to nitpick, but you have to get rid of guys that don't perform in the crunch imo.
"Performing in the crunch" is a silly notion. People think guys are chokers until they do well and the only real difference is luck. Datsyuk was once considered a big-time playoff underachiever. What changed? He didn't change. He just won.

Quote:
I would roll the dice and pay top dollar for Kovalchuk. That was his first exposure to real hockey. He didn't respond well, but Jersey's blueline doesn't move the puck well, ours does (finally, after all these years).
That was his second playoffs actually; the first time he got there, his team got swept. Of course, you're the one that thinks "performing in the crunch" is something that matters.

The team that gives Kovalchuk 10 million bucks will regret it. He's a great goal-scorer, but he's one-dimensional. I don't think he's the solution to the Habs' woes. They need guys who can drive possession at 5-on-5, not finishers. Kovalchuk is one of the best finishers on Earth, but he's useless unless the puck is in the offensive zone and the Habs are very bad at getting and keeping the puck there.

Quote:
Drafting big doesn't mean drafting poorly. I still don't understand the reasoning for letting Getzlaf go. He has size, can skate, has great hands, is mean, was the big righthanded centerman Gainey was always looking for... so???
He had attitude and work ethic problems. Seriously. The media would have driven him out of town three years ago. That's assuming he could have developped in the black hole that is Montreal. The team has had coaching problems for the last few years.

Quote:
You can't win Cups without size. Period. And you need fire and grit. It's a worn argument, so I won't bore you.
As an argument, it's worn, stereotypical, and not very good.

Quote:
Both sides have some merit, but it's no coincidence that teams loaded with Canadians win, Detroit and Pittsburgh aside.
Yeah, let's just ignore the last two Cup winners in this argument...

Quote:
I'm not talking about superstars here, superstars and superstars. I'm talking about elbow grease.
The reason Stanley Cup winners have always been loaded with Canadian grinders is that until recently every team was loaded with Canadian grinders. Europeans who weren't stars just didn't cross over. It's got nothing to do with some mythical quality Canadians have (and by the way, visor-wearing French Canadians wusses don't count).

Old
05-23-2010, 09:40 PM
MathMan

Quote:
It's your opinion, plus he can take all the same defensive Responsability and chip in for 55 pts.
No, he can't. Plekanec plays against first lines. He gets most of the defensive faceoffs. He gets the tough minutes.

Lombardi's a pretty good hockey player, but if you give him Pleky's minutes, he won't do as well. He won't get his 55 points and he won't "defend" as well. Matchups are crucially important, and having both Plekanec and Gomez gives Martin a great deal of flexibility in assigning matchups because you can throw either out there and expect good things. I think you need to shelter Lombardi a bit more.

Quote:
Still the terrible Jokinen got 50 which could help us in the event of losing Plekanec and it could help him to play for the only coach that really get him going !
There's more to a player than points. And since I believe Martin will inevitably get fired in the short term, targeting Jokinen to reunite them may not be such a great idea...

Old
05-23-2010, 09:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I don't think so. 30-year old Koivu could have, I'm sure, but he's no longer capable of taking on the tough minutes and the defensive faceoffs with the same aplomb he used to. It sucks, but Saku is 34 and life hasn't been kind to him.

"Performing in the crunch" is a silly notion. People think guys are chokers until they do well and the only real difference is luck. Datsyuk was once considered a big-time playoff underachiever. What changed? He didn't change. He just won.

That was his second playoffs actually; the first time he got there, his team got swept. Of course, you're the one that thinks "performing in the crunch" is something that matters.

The team that gives Kovalchuk 10 million bucks will regret it. He's a great goal-scorer, but he's one-dimensional. I don't think he's the solution to the Habs' woes. They need guys who can drive possession at 5-on-5, not finishers. Kovalchuk is one of the best finishers on Earth, but he's useless unless the puck is in the offensive zone and the Habs are very bad at getting and keeping the puck there.

He had attitude and work ethic problems. Seriously. The media would have driven him out of town three years ago. That's assuming he could have developped in the black hole that is Montreal. The team has had coaching problems for the last few years.

As an argument, it's worn, stereotypical, and not very good.

Yeah, let's just ignore the last two Cup winners in this argument...

The reason Stanley Cup winners have always been loaded with Canadian grinders is that until recently every team was loaded with Canadian grinders. Europeans who weren't stars just didn't cross over. It's got nothing to do with some mythical quality Canadians have (and by the way, visor-wearing French Canadians wusses don't count).
It's no coincidence that the Hawks are loaded with Canucks and that Hossa is playing like a turd again and has been on three Cup losers in a row and the perennial suckage Ottawa Senators. For all the talent Detroit has, they've been vast underachievers in the past. Pittsburgh's top end players are superstars and Fleury played like a superstar last year. Their bottom 6 guys are Canadians and work like dogs.

It's no coincidence that we're getting bullied off the puck on nearly every shift against a team chock full of Canadians who happen to play in Philadelphia for some reason and not Montreal, led by perhaps the best defenseman since Ray Bourque and I don't even think Bourque dominated games the way Pronger does in his own end to be honest.

We can play this little regular season passing game all we want, but it goes nowhere come playoff time. The only reason we're here is because of Halak, the shotblocking of Gorges and Gill, Cammalleri, and the work ethic of our bottom 6. Spacek and Hammer are the only Euros on this team worth a damn (and Halak, of course). Hammer was playing like a wuss until he woke up in game 5 against Pittsburgh and Spacek has simply been splendid after a very weak regular season. Impossible to generalize, but all else being equal, I'm willing to bet the Canadian will have the better work ethic and be willing to pay the price come playoff time.

Koivu might not put up 70 points, but you can be sure he'll show up when it counts in the playoffs. The reason I want Koivu is because it opens cap space for Kovalchuk. That would pick up the slack and then some. We'd have to dump Price and get a vet though.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:57 PM
MathMan

Quote:
It's no coincidence that the Hawks are loaded with Canucks and that Hossa is playing like a turd again and has been on three Cup losers in a row and the perennial suckage Ottawa Senators.
LOL. Yes, actually, it is a coincidence. Thank you for playing.

Quote:
It's no coincidence that we're getting bullied off the puck on nearly every shift against a team chock full of Canadians who happen to play in Philadelphia for some reason and not Montreal
Physicality has nothing to do with why the Habs are losing this series.

By the way, the Habs' bottom six is entirely Canadian too. As is their top scorer. 2/3rds of their top six are North American. Half their defense, with Markov out -- more if you count Bergeron or O'Byrne.

Well, would you look at this... doesn't leave much room for Euros, does it? Turns out, Montreal is actually a very North American team. Spacek and Hamrlik and Halak may be the only Europeans "worth a damn"... because they're almost the only Euros on the team. All that's left is Plekanec (who is worth a damn) and AKost as Europeans who are actually playing right now. So... yeah. It must be all the wussy Euros.

Quote:
Koivu might not put up 70 points, but you can be sure he'll show up when it counts in the playoffs. The reason I want Koivu is because it opens cap space for Kovalchuk. That would pick up the slack and then some. We'd have to dump Price and get a vet though.
You realize that Kovalchuk and Koivu are both worthless, filthy Europeans, right? Just checking.

You make no sense and your Don Cherry prejudices will not help a hockey team win; maybe that's why your moves contradict your aim so much. What's forgotten with all the cool narratives and praising of blue-collar work ethic and all those comfortable myths we like to surround hockey with is the very basic truth: skill wins Cups. Skill is the one constant across all Cup winners.

Last edited by MathMan: 05-23-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old
05-23-2010, 10:06 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
LOL. Yes, actually, it is a coincidence. Thank you for playing.

Physicality has nothing to do with why the Habs are losing this series.

By the way, the Habs' bottom six is entirely Canadian too. As is their top scorer. 2/3rds of their top six are North American. Half their defense, with Markov out -- more if you count Bergeron.

Montreal is actually a very North American team. Spacek and Hamrlik and Halak may be the only Europeans worth a damn... because they're pretty much the only Euros on the team. All that's left is Plekanec (who is worth a damn) and AKost as Europeans who are actually playing right now. So... yeah. It must be all the wussy Euros.

You realize that Kovalchuk and Koivu are both worthless, filthy Europeans, right? Just checking.

You make no sense and your Don Cherry prejudices will not help a hockey team win; maybe that's why your moves contradict your aim so much. What's forgotten with all the cool narratives and praising of blue-collar work ethic and all those comfortable myths we like to surround hockey with is the very basic truth: skill wins Cups. Skill is the one constant across all Cup winners.
We can't win the puck anywhere except for the bottom 6 (which I already gave props to and you ignored). But they have no hands.

Koivu is from Finland and Kovalchuk is Russian and is 230 lbs. Fins and Russians can play with an edge. That's also a truism.

It's a cultural thing. These guys grew up playing on big ice. That game doesn't translate to the NHL playoffs.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:11 PM
MathMan

Quote:
We can't win the puck anywhere except for the bottom 6 (which I already gave props to and you ignored). But they have no hands.
So what about that North American top six? I mean, the Habs' top six has two Europeans, two Americans, and two Canadians. That's a lot of North Americans and not a lot of Euros. Right, the wrong kinds of Euros. And AKost isn't really Russian, even though he was developped in the Russian league. And Pleks is a dirty Czech, just like Hamrlik and Spacek.

Methinks that continent of origin isn't the problem here.

Quote:
Koivu is from Finland and Kovalchuk is Russian and is 230 lbs. Fins and Russians can play with an edge. That's also a truism.
A truism? So you think it's so self-evident it's not worth demonstrating? I beg to differ. I bet the Red Wings would disagree, too.

So, there are good Euros and bad Euros? And the only good Euro nationalities are those from nations the players you want to get come from?

This is funny.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:16 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
So what about that North American top six? I mean, the Habs' top six has two Europeans, two Americans, and two Canadians. That's a lot of North Americans and not a lot of Euros. Right, the wrong kinds of Euros. And AKost isn't really Russian, even though he was developped in the Russian league. And Pleks is a dirty Czech, just like Hamrlik and Spacek.

Methinks that continent of origin isn't the problem here.

A truism? So you think it's so self-evident it's not worth demonstrating? I beg to differ. I bet the Red Wings would disagree, too.

So, there are good Euros and bad Euros? And the only good Euro nationalities are those from nations the players you want to get come from?

This is funny.
What's funny is losing year after year trying to prove something that only one team has done. Detroit. And that's only cuz they got lucky drafting Zetter and Datsyuk and Lidstrom. But even they didn't win all the Cups they should have. Anaheim kicked their ass in sideways.

I'm just tired of watching wuss hockey. I'm not looking for a goon team, but we definitely need more men on this team.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
4. Plekanac, I do not want to resign unless its a sign and trade, when me and my friends were at the bar we counted five times where pleks was standing out at the Hash marks instead of in front of the net. We won't go deep in the playoffs with him.
I agree, no way we get past the first round with this floater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies
What's funny is losing year after year trying to prove something that only one team has done. Detroit. And that's only cuz they got lucky drafting Zetter and Datsyuk and Lidstrom. But even they didn't win all the Cups they should have. Anaheim kicked their ass in sideways.

I'm just tired of watching wuss hockey. I'm not looking for a goon team, but we definitely need more men on this team.
Despite Selanne and Pahlsson, might I add!

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 05-23-2010 at 10:26 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Nevermind the amusing notion of "wuss hockey", I'm still trying to understand how a less North American team would help with that, especially since Montreal could hardly be less European these days. And how replacing two Europeans with two Europeans is supposed to help with that.

Especially since Swedes are supposed to be the tough Euros. Forsberg? Holmstrom?

Old
05-23-2010, 10:35 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Despite Selanne and Pahlsson, might I add!
They are Finns. They are "good Euros".

Russians are "good Euros" too. Maybe we should get Kovalev back. I bet Ottawa is eager to get rid of him.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:41 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Nevermind the amusing notion of "wuss hockey", I'm still trying to understand how a less North American team would help with that, especially since Montreal could hardly be less European these days. And how replacing two Europeans with two Europeans is supposed to help with that.

Especially since Swedes are supposed to be the tough Euros. Forsberg? Holmstrom?
I think the Swedes have graduated to NHL hockey.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
They are Finns. They are "good Euros".

Russians are "good Euros" too. Maybe we should get Kovalev back. I bet Ottawa is eager to get rid of him.
I know! I bet Czechs and Slovaks are bad euros however. I wish we had traded that Halak dude before the playoffs :

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote