HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2010 Manchester Monarchs Playoffs Thread - Conference Finals (Hershey wins 4-2)

Old
05-23-2010, 12:00 AM
KingLB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
When Schenn and Kozun get to the AHL, they'll help get some offense going. The Kings don't have many finesse players on the wings within their pipeline, but one thing they have plenty of his a good group of hard working wingers in Holloway, Lewis, Clifford, Moller, King, etc.

It seems that every year Lombardi and his scouts put an emphasis on a specific area of the game. Last year they focused on character and toughness. In 2008, they leaned more towards agility. The theme for this year might focus on players who have had success scoring at all levels. Hopefully that means drafting or moving up to select a player like Etem.
If Schenn goes to the AHL there is a problem...top5 forward picks that take 3 years to get the NHL means he shouldn't have been a top5 pick.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
If Schenn goes to the AHL there is a problem...top5 forward picks that take 3 years to get the NHL means he shouldn't have been a top5 pick.
So no on Bobby Ryan?

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:34 AM
rockinghorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
And other than sure-fire NHLers Carlson, Alzner, and Neuvirth, how many are making Hershey their last stop? Chris Bourque is a bust, that was a pretty weak leadoff.

I think the point is that your best players are AHL lifers. Not necessarily anything to be ashamed of...in fact, hell, that's gotta be good for the development of Alzner and Carlson, but in contrast, nearly the entire Monarchs roster is filled with recent Kings NHL prospects.
http://theahl.com/stats/roster.php?s...33&team_id=319
http://theahl.com/stats/roster.php?s...33&team_id=344

So Amadio and Helmer are old and slow. Not necessarily a good thing playing against young and fast.

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Ack! Eerie and similar to what happened to the Kings It was a stellar year though for our prospects anyway you slice it. Bernier has earned a ticket to the NHL, and all of them have taken another big step forward in their development. Hopefully we get some kids stepping up to the big club out of this run of theirs.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:53 AM
KingLB

Quote:
So no on Bobby Ryan?
Exactly you had to go back 5 years to find one, and that one was a power forward (take longer to develop) and he had to break into a team that won the cup.......

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Exactly you had to go back 5 years to find one, and that one was a power forward (take longer to develop) and he had to break into a team that won the cup.......
My point was only that development paths aren't necessarily uniform. You can't say that someone is automatically a bust just because they don't break right in to the big show. Don't forget Schenn is also a little younger than the typical draftee, as well.

If you're continually forcing underweight/underage kids into the show, it's a bigger problem. Stamkos sucked before his time off and weight/strength program. Voracek didn't have an immediate impact; his 'breakout' was last year (more likely to have a HUGE year this coming year). You could say Tavares, Duchene, and Kane stepped right in and had impacts, but it's more to due with the situation of their respective teams than anything to do with actual development.

I guess if you want to throw them right into the fire without any development, we could just go down the path we have for years...But I'd rather say Schenn didn't step right in because for once, our team isn't god awful.

TLDR: If Schenn WERE to go to the AHL instead of directly to the show, I'd argue it's a reflection of our team not sucking rather than there being a 'problem' with our top 5 pick.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:34 AM
razzy

I would be very surprised to see Schenn ever play one single game in the minors. He has nothing left to prove in the WHL, can't play in the AHL next year and will make the Kings this fall anyways. Loktionov will need one more year AHL before making the jump. Schenn is physically and mentally ready for the next step and the only thing he needs to focus on is increasing his foot speed. He reminds be of a bigger, grittier version of Backstrom minus OV of course.

razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Johnny Utah

All 4 players picked ahead of Schenn are in the NHL. He will either be in LA next year or back in juniors, and the year after that it will be Kings or AHL. I doubt he ever wears a Monarchs jersey.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooshy View Post
Agreed, Bernier made some sick saves in this game. All the games were close and the Monarchs certainly gave Hershey a run for their money. They made Monarchs Country PROUD! I hope you guys get to see alot of them up in LA next season. I guess that's the difference between the Monarchs and Hershey - our guys actually make it to the NHL, and their guys are just AHL lifers, so they all have like 15 years experience. . . . no wonder why they are always so good lol

Anyway, great season, crappy way to lose, but they did more than anyone expected.
No offense meant at all, but everyone (I assume) knows Hershey is a ringer in the league, i.e., a very profitable ($$$$) team, and not dependent on or much subservient to its NHL affiliate, like everyone else in the AHL is. Hershey is a throwback to when the AHL was a very serious professional hockey league in its own right, and not strictly a developmental league.

The second point I'd like to make, given what I said above, I wish Mark Morris never came to Manchester. I don't like him as a coach. I don't think he does so well by the players. And I am positive he has done less than nothing to help the Monarchs as a "franchise" in New Hampshire. If he was gone, I'd buy a season ticket again, but as long as he is around, I won't.

Elliot Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:19 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
I don't mean to troll... But on the bears...

Chris Bourque (leads AHL playoffs with 7G 16A in 15 Games) is 24.

Giroux is pretty old at 28, still not ancient or close to 15 years experience.

Andrew Gordon is 24.

Perreault is 22, Carlson is 20, Alzner is 21, Neuvirth the starting goalie is 22 Holtby the backup is like 20, Krugychev is 20, Dubuc is 21, Eakin is 18, Della Rovere is 20, Beagle is 25, Mcneill just turned 24... shall I go on? There are two players over 30 on the bears, Keith Aucoin and Bryan Helmer.
You forgot Boyd Kane......

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:47 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
So no on Bobby Ryan?
I've already gave my "yes" on Ryan awhile ago.

If not this year, hopefully, next.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:02 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Very proud of the Monarchs' efforts. Our future looks pretty good.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Very proud of the Monarchs' efforts. Our future looks pretty good.
Maybe so. And I share your hope. But this year's effort has nothing to do with next year's situation. Have you forgotten this is a developmental league team?

Ah, maybe you mean "our" is the King's future! If so I agree wholeheartedly.

Last edited by Elliot Williams: 05-23-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add more...
Elliot Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
And other than sure-fire NHLers Carlson, Alzner, and Neuvirth, how many are making Hershey their last stop? Chris Bourque is a bust, that was a pretty weak leadoff.

I think the point is that your best players are AHL lifers. Not necessarily anything to be ashamed of...in fact, hell, that's gotta be good for the development of Alzner and Carlson, but in contrast, nearly the entire Monarchs roster is filled with recent Kings NHL prospects.
Bourque isn't done, he's only 24 and made the Caps opening roster this year, but had to go through waivers and was picked up by Pitt due to roster complications. A good many of them could certainly be NHL prospects. Like I said before, Alzner and Carlson, but Beagle has potential for 4th, Perreault has proven he has 2C potential, Neuvirth and Holtby are NHL bound, there are plenty of recent prospects on Hershey, they just are good.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
lafan

just got home from memorial cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
All 4 players picked ahead of Schenn are in the NHL. He will either be in LA next year or back in juniors, and the year after that it will be Kings or AHL. I doubt he ever wears a Monarchs jersey.
and if you think schenn is ready for the nhl you should of been there.
if he makes the team next year it will only be because he is a first rounder.

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
KingsCourt

great effort boys!

btw...i truly believe schenn will make the big team, he has the ability to take over games. schenn did not have a great tourney, need to look at his season as a whole.

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:12 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Williams View Post
Maybe so. And I share your hope. But this year's effort has nothing to do with next year's situation. Have you forgotten this is a developmental league team?

Ah, maybe you mean "our" is the King's future! If so I agree wholeheartedly.
Yeah I meant the Kings future. lol

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
It'll be interesting to see how Teubert and Muzzin interact with each other next season at manchester (assuming neither make the kings roster) as they're both similar type of players vying for the same position with the kings.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Tadite

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about?

Where did you get that crazy idea?

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Can't believe the Stars have advanced to the finals and Manchester failed.

Bernier sucks!

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Can't believe the Stars have advanced to the finals and Manchester failed.

Bernier sucks!
My guess is Manchester would be in the finals as well if they hadn't faced Hershey in the semi.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Monarchs fans:

Which King's prospects should we be most excited about?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:46 PM
kkempy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Monarchs fans:

Which King's prospects should we be most excited about?
Muzzin and Clifford

kkempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
lafan

I would say these two

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkempy View Post
Muzzin and Clifford
and Bud and Azzy.

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:08 PM
no name

Quote:
Schenn has done nothing but improve his stock.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote