HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dustin Byfuglien

Old
05-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Selke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Dupuis, Guerin, Fedotenko, and Poni add up to about 6.5 million. Pay 500k to a fourth liner and the Pens are pretty much putting the same money into the wing as they were last year for what I think is better talent.
Dupuis might be able to fit in our situation and I've always been a fan of Jeffrey for as long as I've known him. Can't help but feel we're in a little bit of a situation but I'd be happy with ...

To Pittsburgh
Kris Versteeg

To Chicago
Dustin Jeffrey
2nd round pick

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:57 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
wait until next season, when he puts up another 30 points with all the talent around him, he's worth a 3rd-2nd max 2nd

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post
Dupuis might be able to fit in our situation and I've always been a fan of Jeffrey for as long as I've known him. Can't help but feel we're in a little bit of a situation but I'd be happy with ...

To Pittsburgh
Kris Versteeg

To Chicago
Dustin Jeffrey
2nd round pick
I'd do that in a heatbeat but we don't have our 2nd this year, Would you do Kris Versteeg + 2nd 2011 for Dustin Jeffrey + 1st in 2011.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Versteeg for Pits 2010 1st

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I'm already too invested in this draft crop, Sorry .

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Part of why Umberger got a late 1st is that he can also play at center and doesn't do that bad a job of it. (Plus, we had a spare 1st and a desperate need for anyone, anyone at all, to play center.) I'm not sure if Byfuglien's time at D would give him any similar consideration.

So, my guess would be no. But an early second-rounder would probably be OK.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:18 PM
AK

Byfuglien is not worth a first.

Seriously, players as fat as him could physically break down any time. He uses his figure very well right now, but it could wear on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
-----------------------------------

Sign above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post

To Pittsburgh
Kris Versteeg

To Chicago
Dustin Jeffrey
2nd round pick
Oh, god. A million times yes.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Hal Incandenza

Yeah, seriously I love Buff but MTL 1st would probably be enough that I could happily watch him play elsewhere next season.

Guys who say "he's overpaid why would we trade much for him" are funny though as they want a guy but only if the Hawks make a poor trade...I think he'll remain a Hawk and wonder who some of these supposed FA guys who bring what he brings for less are? because that's only true if you consider parking it in front and being big to be what he brings.
He fits the Hawks well because of his relative speed for 250 lbs and fit with Kane/Toews- holmstrom would be nowhere near as good a fit for those guys, to use one frequent comparison.
I think he's a good fit on the top line, although am fine with Brouwer in that role going forward if cap room ends up being that tight.

I see Versteeg as most likely to be traded given his somewhat redundant w/Kane style and possible upside as seen by trade partners...no clue what will end up happening with Sharp but in my opinion it will depend on the 2nd/3rd line C options in the FA market, as the Hawks are way deeper on wing than up the middle. Could also depend somewhat on their opinion of Kruger's timeline for competing at the NHL level, because if they think he might be ready for a shot in another year...they might be a bit more comfy dealing Sharp. If they see him as more of a long-term development project then you'd have to have somebody in place next year before rolling with just Toews and Bolland as solid center options.

The last thing I'd like to see the Hawks do is keep Sharp as a winger and trade Steeg/Buff although this line of thinking seems extremely unlikely to happen.

Also if Buff wanted a raise after next year, I'd expect the Hawks to trade him prior to re-signing at much more than 3mm/yr; given his laid-back personality I would not expect him to be clamoring for a ton of ice time on a bad team just to make more than the Hawks could afford, but this is somewhat of a guess on my part.

The one thing I am wary of the Hawks doing this offseason is overpaying Niemi, but they should have learned that lesson with Huet and once they are rid of his cap hit by whatever means I'd expect the last thing Bowman would want to do is overpay for goaltending.

Keep dreaming capocalypse prophets...will be fun to see how this ends up being not a huge deal in hindsight, just as extending Toews, Kane, and Keith turned out.

Hal Incandenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
Keep dreaming capocalypse prophets...will be fun to see how this ends up being not a huge deal in hindsight, just as extending Toews, Kane, and Keith turned out.
Given that the Hawks are presently over the cap after those extensions kick in, one could say that TKK really was a big deal... just not at the time of the extensions.

Something's going to give; that's inevitable. It's just that some people are deluded enough to think that that means they're getting top-3 or top pairing guys for a song Right Now. Point and laugh at them all you like... but don't pretend that that means the cap correction isn't going to hurt a little.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:16 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
Capocalypse Prophets. Well phrased sir !

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Given that the Hawks are presently over the cap after those extensions kick in, one could say that TKK really was a big deal... just not at the time of the extensions.

Something's going to give; that's inevitable. It's just that some people are deluded enough to think that that means they're getting top-3 or top pairing guys for a song Right Now. Point and laugh at them all you like... but don't pretend that that means the cap correction isn't going to hurt a little.
It will hurt but some here (the Leaf fans) act like it is a death sentence. Reality =
Madden is gone but we knew that anyway. He was here for his maturity ... Fraser is ready for the 4th line role full time.
Huet and Sopel will be off the books. Sopel might get traded to someone for someone but there are indicators he will retire and stay in the organization as a very overpaid scout or coach. Huet will be in the minors or Europe.

Other than that, Ladd stays at 2.4 or 2.5. Then we lose 2 forwards making 3 million or more. (my guess = Versteeg and Byfuglien but Sharp could be there) Beach is waiting in the wings to take 1 of the spots and several others (Skille?) will fight for the other.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Bejamin1*

Hmm

Versteeg is a very valuable asset. Outside of maybe a top 5 pick is probably possible. I mean if I was Ottawa I'd trade our 16th overall pick in a heartbeat to pick him up.

He's basically a trained and prepared young forward who can step right in to most teams top six forwards and contribute.

Personally I think Sharp because of his age, Buff, and Huet buy-out all Happen before the Hawks part ways with Versteeg. Would not surprise me at all to see him still a Hawk when everything is said and done.

Bejamin1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Karlssonlee

If i'm Edmonton I'd easily trade my second round pick (31st overall) for Buffy.

They desperately need another big man.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
mstad101

Id be willing to ship the 25th overal to Chitown for Buff from Van

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Id be willing to ship the 25th overal to Chitown for Buff from Van
That's a clever way to get him out of Luongo's face.

I think at the moment Buff could definitely fetch roughly what Umberger did. Teams that are really going for a big body (so...pretty much all of them) will happily shell out for a huge guy who knows how to score huge, series-closing goals.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:54 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
That's a clever way to get him out of Luongo's face.

I think at the moment Buff could definitely fetch roughly what Umberger did. Teams that are really going for a big body (so...pretty much all of them) will happily shell out for a huge guy who knows how to score huge, series-closing goals.
If that so. Have a choice of a bottom 6 forward or a depth prospect n maybe a 4th round pick.
The guy can play defense. And his salary fits our structure, not to mention he can take regular minutes on the third line in a shut down situation.
Also has a knack for scoring goals at big times.

If I were to mention maybe the name Raymond, could we swap 1st's n maybe add in Beach?
The Nucks will need a top 9 replacement for some of those minutes, n Beach being left handed, would give Hodgson Hansen someone to play on the left side.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:27 AM
JuniorNelson

Why in the world would you trade Byfluglien? He is remaking playoff strategy every game, now. Conventional wisdom does not have an answer for the Byfluglien to the net idea, at all!

Byfluglien scores goals, hits and drives goalies crazy. Plus, he can fill in on defence. What is not to like?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Talentless Practise*

Fernando Pisani had 14 goals in 24 games for the Oilers in their run to the cup finals. What a steal he turned out to be when KLowe signed him for a 4y/10M deal.

Not hatin' on Big Buff, just to put a bit of a dampener to the hypemachine. 10 points in 16 games with a -3 is hardly exceptional.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:40 AM
Ementy

Nash and Rajala + nashvilles 2nd rounder from edmonton

For Byfuglien

Ementy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:07 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hawks should hold onto Buff, trade Sopel and Sharp/Versteeg

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Sarava

With every game, the likelihood of Byfuglien getting traded goes down. The guy is just too valuable. From his abolsute dominace over these last 2 rounds, to being able to fill in on defense in the regular season when the injury bug strikes...wow. They gotta keep this guy.

The problem is, if they keep Buff, Versteeg and probably Sharp are gone, which then leaves a hole at center. Maybe Madden would sign cheap next year for a chance at another cup run, but you can't count on that. And I don't think the Hawks have any NHL ready centers down in the minors either.

It was be interesting, and it's certainly a 'fun' problem that is evolving for Stan Bowman.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote