HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers information-MZA,McD and Christensen

Old
05-24-2010, 10:10 AM
LyNX27

vCash: 500
As much as I agree with a lot of you that Christensen is not the end all I feel like he has more to offer than what a lot of us think. He's got great hands and we know hes got a really accurate shot, infact when he missed the net a lot of times this season is was just outside the crossbar.

I know hes not at the prospect age now but I feel that he has room to grow and I know they tried him with Kovalchuk to boost his growing but maybe Gaborik is a better fit (although lets be honest if you can't score with one of those 2... I don't think the problem is them...)

As streaky as he is I feel that we could be in for a nice surprise if he decides to be a little more consistent and find his game.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding RangerBlue View Post
Totally agree - look at ECs stats & his play - he is not a first-line center.
He's not. But he's serviceable and seemed to have developed some chemistry with the teams top offensive player.

When you're hamstrung by the cap, you need to look to lower priced options like him. Furthermore, because he did show glimpses playing with Gaborik, they can use what little money they have in other areas (blueline, a second line scoring winger).

05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's not. But he's serviceable and seemed to have developed some chemistry with the teams top offensive player.

When you're hamstrung by the cap, you need to look to lower priced options like him. Furthermore, because he did show glimpses playing with Gaborik, they can use what little money they have in other areas (blueline, a second line scoring winger).
People don't seem to understand that we can't fix all of our problems overnight.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Christensen is still young and is clearly gifted. If he can keep it together upstairs, he's certainly a #2 center and can get 50+ points depending on his linemates. He played very well down the stretch and, at about a million bucks, what more do you want?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Christensen is still young and is clearly gifted. If he can keep it together upstairs, he's certainly a #2 center and can get 50+ points depending on his linemates. He played very well down the stretch and, at about a million bucks, what more do you want?
You can't say he's certainly a 50+ point player when that's something he's never come close to doing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
You can't say he's certainly a 50+ point player when that's something he's never come close to doing.
I said "can get" and, with the Rangers, 26 points in 49 games = 43.5 points in 82 games. And at least a few of the early weeks were finding confidence and settling in with new team, new linemates, and new coach. I think he's capable of that. And he's a bargain at $1 million or less.

Old
05-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
So when is MZA going to sign?!?!?!?!
He'll sign with Toronto soon

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Christensen possesses some skills that he flashes from time to time, but overall, I think hes quite an unremarkable player. I have to wonder if its a case of him finding chemistry with Gaborik, because I think everyone that played with Gaborik last season put up numbers at times.

Nonetheless, the general sentiment in this thread is what I agree with. It doesnt matter how good Christensen is, it matters that hes a cheap/short-term option at center first and foremost. Despite the problems I have with his game, I'd much rather give him a shot than handing out some ridiculous contract to Plekanec.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Toronto was another team strongly pursuing him. I think Lev is just busting everyone's chops, knowing it would be so hilarious if that happened as we're all counting our chickens before they've hatched here.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:42 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Christensen possesses some skills that he flashes from time to time, but overall, I think hes quite an unremarkable player. I have to wonder if its a case of him finding chemistry with Gaborik, because I think everyone that played with Gaborik last season put up numbers at times.

Nonetheless, the general sentiment in this thread is what I agree with. It doesnt matter how good Christensen is, it matters that hes a cheap/short-term option at center first and foremost. Despite the problems I have with his game, I'd much rather give him a shot than handing out some ridiculous contract to Plekanec.
Christensen is basically Marcel Hossa with slightly better hands. He seems like one of those players that will wow you in many games and then leave you wondering how he finished with only like 30 points

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Chief

Christensen played well and is a cheap asset. As such, he's a no-brainer to re-sign. It doesn't mean he's being pencilled in as the Rangers top center. No need to put the cart before the horse here.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Christensen is basically Marcel Hossa with slightly better hands. He seems like one of those players that will wow you in many games and then leave you wondering how he finished with only like 30 points
Hossa never had a 30 points season. Christensen had 26 points in less than 50 games last year.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:21 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Hossa was a better two-way center, and could kill penalties. EC, however, is a much better offensive player, imo. He just needs to be more consistent. He's a head-scratcher.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

This is what Glen Sather should tell the agent for Erik Christensen

"Sign the 1 year qualifying offer of $787,500. Erik can become a group III next summer. If he wants security and more money,we will help him get in position to demand more than his QO. If not with us,then with another team next summer. He'll play with Gaborik,Zuccarello Aasen and any other forwards we add. He'll get the opportunities to put himself in position for a better payday next summer.If you file for arbitration,we're going to walk away from the award. Look at what happened to Zherdev last summer when we walked away from his $3.9 million award. His stupid agent Rollie Hedges called me and wanted to know if the $3.25 million was still available. It's going to be mid-August and you're going to have a hard time getting your client a contract. The last thing Erik needs is to be unsigned in August. He already has a lack of confidence issue. The poor guy will be on Prozac by then".

That is what Brian Burke told Ruslan Salei. The Ducks played the Kings in LA. Salei suffered an injury. The Ducks were flying out to San Jose right after the game. Burke drove Salei back to Anaheim. Burke was telling Rusty that the Ducks couldn't give him 4 years but if he played well for them and the team won,some team was going to pay him. Florida paid him. 4 years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Hossa was a headcase. He had incredible potential but often looked lost. Goes to the KHL and he's a PPG player. He SHOULD have been a PPG player in the NHL.

The comparison is valid, though. Christensen is more skilled than his point totals would indicate, again apparently due to mental / confidence issues. To be a star in professional sports, you need to be a little cocky. Otherwise you end up like EC.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Hossa was a better two-way center, and could kill penalties. EC, however, is a much better offensive player, imo. He just needs to be more consistent. He's a head-scratcher.
Hossa never played center. He is not a center.

Old
05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Lets see Christensen for the full year before we really evaluate.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:12 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Lets see Christensen for the full year before we really evaluate.
We need to sign him to do that.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Hossa never played center. He is not a center.
hahaha wow you can tell its Monday. I'm a ruh-tard.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:37 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Hossa never had a 30 points season. Christensen had 26 points in less than 50 games last year.
Problem is that's not enough for someone to be a staple on the first line. Basically, when he plays with Gaborik he plays better, but still not good enough to even be considered a top 6 forward (for most teams at least). When he doesn't play with Gaborik he's essentially a non-factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Hossa was a headcase. He had incredible potential but often looked lost. Goes to the KHL and he's a PPG player. He SHOULD have been a PPG player in the NHL.

The comparison is valid, though. Christensen is more skilled than his point totals would indicate, again apparently due to mental / confidence issues. To be a star in professional sports, you need to be a little cocky. Otherwise you end up like EC.
Christensen has his problem also. Hossa was a headcase and Christensen supposedly has had confidence issues everywhere he's been like you mentioned. Still the same outcome... neither playing as good as you expect them to

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:37 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Christensen played with a seperated shoulder? what the ****! He should have really sat out. its one thing to play with an injured hand or something but a seperated SHOULDER? You cant even move your damn arm! get off the ice!
I think you're thinking of a dislocated shoulder. I played with a separated shoulder in college. It's really not that terrible of an injury. You can worsen it getting hit or shooting, but you can move your arm fine; it's just sore and stiff.

I realize the trainers would know he hurt himself on the play and Torts would know he went to the locker room but they look at you, there's no visible injury, no broken bone, no dislocation... they're not doing an in depth examination on the spot and if you then choose not to have it checked out until after the season, there's not much they can tell the coach beyond "yeah, he banged up his shoulder... didn't look serious, told him to let us know how it feels tomorrow". If he wanted to grin and bear it, play with it injured and not make a big deal about it, there's not really a way for anyone to know about it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Christensen is fine. He's a stopgap-type player. If he continues to progress, awesome. If not, oh well. Not sure why anyone wouldn't want him back.
I think all that matter is that you have a team that can achive certain things.

On that team you can then have extremely flawed players in very very big roles.

Like have anyone seen Thomas Holmström skate? He have been the 1st line RW, for very long stretches, for the best team in the game of the last decade. Mikael Samuelsson.

I like EC and I think he could take on a simular role.

But, he aint a big part of helping his team "achive" the things we talked about above. Mainly making his team able to carry the play.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Christensen,Prust and Shelley are clients of Don Meehan's agency. Either Meehan or his partner Pat Morris is their agent. Meehan also reps Girardi. One stop shopping. MDZ,Lundqvist,Avery and Redden are Meehan/Morris guys. MDZ is repped by a younger associate Mark Guy but he works for Meehan/Morris. Auld is their guy too but he won't be back.

Old
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
where did you get demitra from? Isin't he still with the canucks?
he's going to be an UFA, same as Prospal

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'm glad to see some people get it, that when you have a top 10 nhl forward, it sometimes isn't about how skilled the players they're playing with are, it's about whether they CAN play together. Do you really think Todd Bertuzzi and every other player they've thrown on Zetteberg and Datsyuk's wing(s) are all guys that belong anywhere near a top forward line? Sidney Crosby was telling the press how much he liked having Pascal Dupious on his line in the playoffs, is he a top line forward? I could sit here and list examples all day. Dustin Byfulien, all be it better than Christensen, is not a top line forward. Playing with Toews and Kane, he looks like the best power forward in the league.

Everyone here ***** on Sather for signing Gomez and Drury...yet they want him to do exactly the same thing again and overpay for a center, whether it's via trade for a guy like Lecavalier or Brad Richards, or free agency for Plekanec or Marleau. Are you guys all tea party members or something? "Cut spending, don't cut programs, don't just stand there, do something!!!!"

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote