HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Remaking the top 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2010, 11:53 PM
  #76
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I know! I bet Czechs and Slovaks are bad euros however. I wish we had traded that Halak dude before the playoffs :
He's a goalie last I checked.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:09 AM
  #77
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
He's a goalie last I checked.
Sykora? Has a couple of Stanley Cups and a bunch of finals appearances at least. Our own Zednik was pretty clutch when before he was martiryzed by that Bruins goon. What about perhaps the most obvious one, Jagr? Also you do realize that Swedes, Finns and Russians represent most of the Euro players right?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:49 AM
  #78
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Sykora? Has a couple of Stanley Cups and a bunch of finals appearances at least. Our own Zednik was pretty clutch when before he was martiryzed by that Bruins goon. What about perhaps the most obvious one, Jagr? Also you do realize that Swedes, Finns and Russians represent most of the Euro players right?
It depends on the player, I agree. But we have a ton of heart and I give Spacek TONS of credit. He was awesome in Buffalo and during Edmonton's run too. Hammer decided to put it on the line and was awesome most of this year and after game 5 against Pittsburgh.

And Jagr took a beating every night.

These guys are machines and they obviously love what they are doing. Anyone who ever played hockey would love to be in their place. I'm not trying to disparage anyone in the NHL. Ever. Or the AHL. Or any pro league.

What I'm saying is, it takes just that fraction extra.

But size beats heart sometimes. Everything is interconnected. If we play puck possession, Mikael Samuelsson might help you out. If you want to play run and gun, you better have had three straight #1 draft picks. If you want to play tough hockey, you better have Timmons, or someone who can pick out a PK Subban late (right Timmons?). But the style of hockey we want to win with takes balance. And we don't have the right mix of size/grit. Kosty was supposed to be the answer and he isn't. Is he just young? Is this his lesson? Cuz, doesn't look like he's learned it.

A guy I'm always rooting for is Max Lapierre. If he could ever get the hands and discipline to get into our top 6, we'd win a Cup. If I were him, I'd sit at home and do roids and stickhandle 10 hours a day.

(PS: Kosty and Pleks, if you are reading this....it's not too late. Bring the heart boys and you will be heros forever. Not kidding. Montreal doesn't forget.)

People talk trash about Gomez and give all the credit to Gionta. But why does Gionta succeed?? He is undoubtedly a lion, but so is Gomez (when he stays out of the box). And what if Pouliot was Iginla. Who could stop THAT line? And Pouliot has immense talent, he just needs a couple seasons under his belt. But he could pop a big goal any second he's out there if he keeps working to the right spots. Gomez is vastly underrated imo, just because of the money. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. Look where we are people! We're in the conference finals. And we're still alive!


Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-24-2010 at 01:38 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:31 AM
  #79
Smoke Monster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Somebody's going to have to pay for Montreal's failure in the playoffs if we don't win the Stanley cup. It sure as hell won't be Cammalleri, Gionta, Halak, Gill, Gorges, Markov, Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moore, Spacek, Subban , or even Gomez. And most of them have been injured. So that's no excuse.

Gauthier if he has any sense will clean house.

And that means the rest have to go. Which means Plekanec, Price, Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Pouliot, K-bros, Metropolit, Darche, Bergeron, are gone. That's if you want to improve the team for next season's run for the cup by getting rid of under performers during the playoffs regardless of minor injuries. If they had injuries earlier they should have taken time off to heal for the playoffs instead of playing themselves into the ground so they could raise their stats for a better contract. If players keep getting injured by the time the playoffs come around or are too worn out do you want them on your team?

Trade them for whatever we can get and let's move on instead of wasting more time on the same old story year after year hoping that maybe one day they will improve. We've had enough time to see their overall talent, and we are wasting time waiting for these guys to come around and help us win a cup.

I say we build around Cammalleri, Gionta, Halak, Gill, Gorges, Markov, Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moore, Spacek, Subban , Gomez and try to add some decent ufa's like Kovy, Selanne, Armstrong, Jamal, Nickol ,and others in trades(like Pietrangelo maybe or whatever other decent player we can get) and prospects like Emelin, etc.


Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-25-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:42 AM
  #80
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Somebody's going to have to pay for Montreal's failure in the playoffs if we don't win the Stanley cup. It sure as hell won't be Cammalleri, Gionta, Halak, Gill, Gorges, Markov, Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moore, Spacek, Subban , or even Gomez. And most of them have been injured. So that's no excuse.

Gauthier if he has any sense will clean house.

And that means the rest have to go. Which means Plekanec, Price, Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Pouliot, K-bros, Metropolit, Darche, Bergeron, are gone. That's if you want to improve the team for next season's run for the cup by getting rid of under performers during the playoffs regardless of minor injuries. If they had injuries earlier they should have taken time off to heal for the playoffs instead of playing themselves into the ground so they could raise their stats for a better contract. If players keep getting injured by the time the playoffs come around or are too worn out do you want them on your team?

Trade them for whatever we can get and let's move on instead of wasting more time on the same old story year after year hoping that maybe one day they will improve. We've had enough time to see their overall talent, and we are wasting time waiting for these guys to come around and help us win a cup.

I say we build around Cammalleri, Gionta, Halak, Gill, Gorges, Markov, Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moore, Spacek, Subban , Gomez and try to add some decent ufa's like Kovy, Jokinen, Armstrong, Burish, Afino and others in trades(like Pietrangelo maybe or whatever other decent player we can get) and prospects like Emelin, etc.
O'Byrne, Metro and Darche are fine in my book. So is Hammer, but not at that price tag.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:16 AM
  #81
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Somebody's going to have to pay for Montreal's failure in the playoffs if we don't win the Stanley cup. It sure as hell won't be Cammalleri, Gionta, Halak, Gill, Gorges, Markov, Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moore, Spacek, Subban , or even Gomez. And most of them have been injured. So that's no excuse.

Gauthier if he has any sense will clean house.

And that means the rest have to go. Which means Plekanec, Price, Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Pouliot, K-bros, Metropolit, Darche, Bergeron, are gone. That's if you want to improve the team for next season's run for the cup by getting rid of under performers during the playoffs regardless of minor injuries. If they had injuries earlier they should have taken time off to heal for the playoffs instead of playing themselves into the ground so they could raise their stats for a better contract. If players keep getting injured by the time the playoffs come around or are too worn out do you want them on your team?

Trade them for whatever we can get and let's move on instead of wasting more time on the same old story year after year hoping that maybe one day they will improve. We've had enough time to see their overall talent, and we are wasting time waiting for these guys to come around and help us win a cup.

I say we build around Cammalleri, Gionta, Halak, Gill, Gorges, Markov, Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moore, Spacek, Subban , Gomez and try to add some decent ufa's like Kovy, Jokinen, Armstrong, Burish, Afino and others in trades(like Pietrangelo maybe or whatever other decent player we can get) and prospects like Emelin, etc.
Jokinen..megafacepalm...i dont want him near of this team

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:49 AM
  #82
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
But then, maybe you're wrong. Maybe the guy who was potting goals like crazy for weeks until he injured his wrist again is the real Pouliot. Maybe it's Latendresse who will return back to form next year. But then, why speculate when you can simply call it the "worst trade by the Habs in a long long while there" (Ribeiro was way worst, just for a start) and say that "He has been an AHL-caliber player his entire career. And the Habs knew this". There's nothing like grandiose dramatic statements to make it sound like you know what you're talking about.
Agreed, it was all fail. There is a good chance imo that Pouliot becomes the better player.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
  #83
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 500
Wait until the season's over...

Then, we'll talk about what do to with the players.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:12 PM
  #84
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Agreed, it was all fail. There is a good chance imo that Pouliot becomes the better player.
We'll see, but I wouldn't bet on it. Right now, Latendresse is better, and has always been better, and except for a hot streak by Pouliot, it's not even been close.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:13 PM
  #85
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Jokinen..megafacepalm...i dont want him near of this team
I agree. He's the last guy we need on this team. Only reason we should take him on is if he signs extra cheap, then we can dangle him at trade deadline

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
  #86
MarkyMarkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
The way I see it we only have four players worth putting in our top 6 - Gomez, Plekanec, Cammalleri and Gionta. What we need in the off season is to package Hamrlik, the Kostitsyns and Price to get those forwards or at least allow us the cap space to pursue someone in free agency. I see the lineup next year like this:

xxx - Gomez (7.3) - Gionta (5)
Cammalleri (6) - Plekanec (4.5-5) - xxx
Pouliot (.8) - Moore (1.4) - Moen (1.5)
Pacioretty (.9) - Lapierre (1) - Pyatt (.85)
Trotter/Desharnais (.85)

Markov (5.75) - Subban (.85)
Gill (2.25) - Gorges (1.1)
Spacek (3.8) - Emelin (1)
O'Byrne (.9)

Halak (4)
Backup (.85)

This lineup would cost somewhere between $50.5-51 million giving us about 7 million to spend on two top-six forwards. I would want to trade with St. Louis for Backes (2.5) or Oshie (1.2) and Perron (.9) for Price and the Kostitsyns. Trade Hamrlik for draft picks and the top-six is solidified. If that trade were to happen our forward lines would look something like this:

Perron - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Backes
Pouliot - Moore - Moen
Pacioretty - Lapierre - Pyatt

MarkyMarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:55 PM
  #87
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
We'll see, but I wouldn't bet on it. Right now, Latendresse is better, and has always been better, and except for a hot streak by Pouliot, it's not even been close.
Latendresse had to be better right now, because the Wilds wouldn't have let a guy with a high celling like Pouliot go for a player with a lower celling who is not already NHL-proven.

On the other hand, we wouldn't have let go Latendresse if we didn't knew the guy coming the other way had exceptional tools that Latendresse simply never had.

It's trading current production for potential. And in the habs current prospect pipeline situation, it made a lot of sense.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:08 PM
  #88
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Send Gomez on a 4 year paid vacation to Mexico, sign Kovalcuk... Profit.

Kovalchuk - Pleks - Gio
Cammy - Pouliot - Kostitsyn


Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
  #89
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Latendresse had to be better right now, because the Wilds wouldn't have let a guy with a high celling like Pouliot go for a player with a lower celling who is not already NHL-proven.

On the other hand, we wouldn't have let go Latendresse if we didn't knew the guy coming the other way had exceptional tools that Latendresse simply never had.

It's trading current production for potential. And in the habs current prospect pipeline situation, it made a lot of sense.
I hated the trade at the time and i hate it even more now.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
  #90
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Some of you still want Koivu over Gomez? Anyways...

Pleks has played A LOT of hockey this year, not trying to make excuses but even the best get tired.

AK on the other hand, all the talented and size in the world, but can never get it going consistently

Pouliot is still young, I guess we can wait and see what happens, if he showed up these playoffs, it would be a whole other story. Gionta, Camme, Gomez are untouchable (I like what Gomez brings to this team, forget his salary, a winner makes everyone in the room a winner, first ECF since 93, but let's just ignore the cup winners of the past for helping us get this far...)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
  #91
Pleky Roks
Registered User
 
Pleky Roks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Looking at our top 6 forwards its easy to make some observations

1. Gomez's contract is an albatross and the team will deal with it for as long as possible. only 4 more seasons to go
2. AK has zero hockey sense and it's too frustrating to watch him legit play twenty games a season and coast the rest he's basically been a non factor in the playoffs,
3. Gionta and Cammy, The Best part of our top 6 and both can be effective 30-40 goal scorers
4. Plekanac, I do not want to resign unless its a sign and trade, when me and my friends were at the bar we counted five times where pleks was standing out at the Hash marks instead of in front of the net. We won't go deep in the playoffs with him.
5. Pouliot needs to put on about 20-25 more pounds to be effective everyone sees the talent but even if he can become a complementary top 6 forward who hits he'll be a great fit. 6'3 199 pounds? I mean I can push that lanky kid around.

Now the two glaring problems IMO are Ak and Pleks, 1. Pleks is a burden on the roster IMO and will also want about 4-6mil per season and 2. AK has not lived up to expectations and as every one says zero hockey sense, I say sign and trade pleks and the tit brothers and try to get a good consistent top 6 forward with some size, Leave patches down in the A to get some confidence and some weight. Tell pouliot his goal is to come back weighing 220, use Pleks an AK to help replenish the picks we've traded away, Promote trotter/desharnais and use the six mil free in cap space to sign a decent top 6? Or if Gauthier is a riverboat gambler type trade one of Price/Halak to get a young top 6 forward

1. Gomez is a great player. His contract is high, but we're stuck with it now....gotta keep him.
2. Andrei is useless for about 60 games a season and most of the playoffs, but for 20 games a year he lights it up and plays some great hockey. He's still under contract for $3.25 mil so we need to keep him for 1 more year and either he will play or he won't and we can trade him at the deadline, or re-sign him.
3. Gionta and Cammy are our 2 best goal scorers....without them, we are screwed.
4. Plekanec is still young, he was our best player all season long and put up some nice totals. I'm positive he's playing injured in the playoffs, but we'll see when the season is over. I'd re-sign him to a 3 year deal and give him an honest chance at proving himself as a playoff player. He's too good to throw away for nothing.
5. Pouliot has great talent, but he needs to grow up and play hard all season long. He could use a little more weight for sure, but we don't want him to turn into Latendresse either. Give him time, he'll beef up and be the player we traded for.

The only players we get rid of this off-season are Roman Hamrlik, Sergei Kostitsyn, Paul Mara, Carey Price, M-A Bergeron and Metropolit.

Hamrlik goes because he is getting too old and slow and he takes up a ton of cap space. Getting rid of Hammer allows us to sign Pleks and Subban fills his spot in the lineup.
Sergei goes because he doesn't deserve a chance because of his rotten attitude and because he is a huge baby who won't hit or play rough. He's a distraction.

Mara goes because he's a UFA and he's rotten.

Price should go too because he's never going to have a successful career in Montreal, he was rushed and can't handle the spotlight and if we can trade him, we should be able to get a great return for him, possibly a top 6 forward.

Bergeron needs to go because all he has is a shot. He's rotten defensively, he can't keep the puck in at the blueline, he is too small, turns the puck over too much. We can't keep players around because they have 1 good thing about them, we need complete players that can do everything a defencemen needs to do.

Metropolit is a great veteran player and I like the guy, but he's older and I would prefer Moore over Metro as our 3rd/4th line center. Moore is great on faceoffs and is very fast. He's also a smart player too.

Cammy - Pleks - Andrei
xxx - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Moore - Lapierre
Pyatt - White - Trotter

Markov - O'Byrne
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Halak
xxx

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:49 PM
  #92
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Latendresse had to be better right now, because the Wilds wouldn't have let a guy with a high celling like Pouliot go for a player with a lower celling who is not already NHL-proven.
That's one way to look at it, but that's rather wishful thinking. Another way to look at it is that Montreal gave away a good young proven NHLer for a guy who may turn up to be a career AHLer, because the Habs coach couldn't get Latendresse to produce at the level Carbonneau did.

It doesn't help that Lats is a big, physical goal-scorer -- exactly the sort of guy fans are crying for now. The Habs had that guy and gave him away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
It's trading current production for potential. And in the habs current prospect pipeline situation, it made a lot of sense.
Not really, no. Pouliot has a high ceiling he's not likely to ever reach, and Latendresse, who's likely to be the better player both long- and short- term, has the same age. The Habs didn't get younger; they traded realized potential for the same amount of unrealized potential.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
  #93
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's one way to look at it, but that's rather wishful thinking. Another way to look at it is that Montreal gave away a good young proven NHLer for a guy who may turn up to be a career AHLer, because the Habs coach couldn't get Latendresse to produce at the level Carbonneau did.

It doesn't help that Lats is a big, physical goal-scorer -- exactly the sort of guy fans are crying for now. The Habs had that guy and gave him away.



Not really, no. Pouliot has a high ceiling he's not likely to ever reach, and Latendresse, who's likely to be the better player both long- and short- term, has the same age. The Habs didn't get younger; they traded realized potential for the same amount of unrealized potential.
Stop crying about the past and admit it.. Pouliot has more potential than lats and he's still injured. He needs confidence and this year was his first full year in the NHL. It's his first real playoffs run (played 1 game with the wild) and he's a cheap talented asset. Stop talking about that trade for god sakes

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
  #94
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
at least we dont hear anymore ribeiro talk

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:34 PM
  #95
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's one way to look at it, but that's rather wishful thinking. Another way to look at it is that Montreal gave away a good young proven NHLer for a guy who may turn up to be a career AHLer, because the Habs coach couldn't get Latendresse to produce at the level Carbonneau did.

It doesn't help that Lats is a big, physical goal-scorer -- exactly the sort of guy fans are crying for now. The Habs had that guy and gave him away.
Lats was a loafer and played his way out of town. Stop trying to lay this on the coach. I'm surprised you haven't yet blamed Martin for Greece having gone broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Not really, no. Pouliot has a high ceiling he's not likely to ever reach, and Latendresse, who's likely to be the better player both long- and short- term, has the same age. The Habs didn't get younger; they traded realized potential for the same amount of unrealized potential.
If Lats goes on to be the next John Leclair, good for him. It wasn't going to happen for him here. Some players need a good kick in the ass and he was one of them.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:51 PM
  #96
AnAfricanMidget
Registered User
 
AnAfricanMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Igloo
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
I'll raise you one better
x-x-x
x-x-Iginla
Why is Iginla on the second line????

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:05 PM
  #97
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's one way to look at it, but that's rather wishful thinking. Another way to look at it is that Montreal gave away a good young proven NHLer for a guy who may turn up to be a career AHLer, because the Habs coach couldn't get Latendresse to produce at the level Carbonneau did.
Wishful thinking? Why? You make it sound like what I said was groundbreaking. I mean, you know Pouliot. You know his pedigree, you know where he comes from and what he brings. I think it's OBVIOUS his ceiling is better. He's faster, has a better reach and a better release than Latendresse. He can keep it up just fine with two of the fastest skaters in the league in Gomez and Gionta. Since his drafting days he has been considered a high risk high reward guy. And the habs love for Pouliot game was well known already back then - so it's not like he was coming from the left field.

Gainey had very good and reasonable reasons to go after Pouliot, and these reasons didn't change since then.

Quote:
It doesn't help that Lats is a big, physical goal-scorer -- exactly the sort of guy fans are crying for now. The Habs had that guy and gave him away.
The habs are looking for a big guy who can play the habs speedy and reactive game. That's the key here. Latendresse wasn't able to keep it up on our top line. He's not a bad player at all, but he's not a good player for this team.


Quote:
Not really, no. Pouliot has a high ceiling he's not likely to ever reach
That's your speculation. Obviously Gainey and his scouts disagreed
Quote:
, and Latendresse, who's likely to be the better player both long- and short- term, has the same age.
Again, speculation from your part, without any evidence whatsoever.
Quote:
The Habs didn't get younger; they traded realized potential for the same amount of unrealized potential.
The goal wasn't to get younger, and again, pure speculation from your part.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:22 PM
  #98
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
1. Gomez is a great player. His contract is high, but we're stuck with it now....gotta keep him.
2. Andrei is useless for about 60 games a season and most of the playoffs, but for 20 games a year he lights it up and plays some great hockey. He's still under contract for $3.25 mil so we need to keep him for 1 more year and either he will play or he won't and we can trade him at the deadline, or re-sign him.
3. Gionta and Cammy are our 2 best goal scorers....without them, we are screwed.
4. Plekanec is still young, he was our best player all season long and put up some nice totals. I'm positive he's playing injured in the playoffs, but we'll see when the season is over. I'd re-sign him to a 3 year deal and give him an honest chance at proving himself as a playoff player. He's too good to throw away for nothing.
5. Pouliot has great talent, but he needs to grow up and play hard all season long. He could use a little more weight for sure, but we don't want him to turn into Latendresse either. Give him time, he'll beef up and be the player we traded for.

The only players we get rid of this off-season are Roman Hamrlik, Sergei Kostitsyn, Paul Mara, Carey Price, M-A Bergeron and Metropolit.

Hamrlik goes because he is getting too old and slow and he takes up a ton of cap space. Getting rid of Hammer allows us to sign Pleks and Subban fills his spot in the lineup.
Sergei goes because he doesn't deserve a chance because of his rotten attitude and because he is a huge baby who won't hit or play rough. He's a distraction.

Mara goes because he's a UFA and he's rotten.

Price should go too because he's never going to have a successful career in Montreal, he was rushed and can't handle the spotlight and if we can trade him, we should be able to get a great return for him, possibly a top 6 forward.

Bergeron needs to go because all he has is a shot. He's rotten defensively, he can't keep the puck in at the blueline, he is too small, turns the puck over too much. We can't keep players around because they have 1 good thing about them, we need complete players that can do everything a defencemen needs to do.

Metropolit is a great veteran player and I like the guy, but he's older and I would prefer Moore over Metro as our 3rd/4th line center. Moore is great on faceoffs and is very fast. He's also a smart player too.

Cammy - Pleks - Andrei
xxx - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Moore - Lapierre
Pyatt - White - Trotter

Markov - O'Byrne
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Halak
xxx
Moen has proven that he earns his spot when it matters most. White and Trotter aren't both going to come up without injuries.

I see:

1) Pouliot on the line with Gomez and Gionta if Pouls gains 20-25 pounds.
2) Us no longer depending on Andrei in a top 6 role. We'll bring in additional reinforcements because our scoring has failed us this post-season and Andrei may be traded if he's involved in that package.
3) Our top 6 reinforcements as having size and can also play center in case Pleks doesn't provide the long-term solution at centre in the playoffs.
4) Hamrlik to be traded to give us some cap relief.
5) Halak/Price either dealt for a top 5 pick to select Fowler or Gudbranson.

That would give us a great D core with Subban, Gorges, O'Byrne and Fowler/Gudbranson in the future with some good youth and size up front.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:40 PM
  #99
Pleky Roks
Registered User
 
Pleky Roks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Moen has proven that he earns his spot when it matters most. White and Trotter aren't both going to come up without injuries.

I see:

1) Pouliot on the line with Gomez and Gionta if Pouls gains 20-25 pounds.
2) Us no longer depending on Andrei in a top 6 role. We'll bring in additional reinforcements because our scoring has failed us this post-season and Andrei may be traded if he's involved in that package.
3) Our top 6 reinforcements as having size and can also play center in case Pleks doesn't provide the long-term solution at centre in the playoffs.
4) Hamrlik to be traded to give us some cap relief.
5) Halak/Price either dealt for a top 5 pick to select Fowler or Gudbranson.

That would give us a great D core with Subban, Gorges, O'Byrne and Fowler/Gudbranson in the future with some good youth and size up front.

Moen...thats right....I actually forgot we have him for another 2 years....yeah he should be on that 3rd line.

1. I have no problem with Pouliot on a line with Gomez and Gionta as long as he can perform like he did in the regular season with them.
2. I would love to be able to get rid of Andrei, but can we afford a better replacement than him at $3.25??
3. I have faith in Pleks. I honestly believe he's been hurt most of the playoffs and plus he hasn't had a lot of experience in the playoffs either. Give him a couple more years.
4. Hamrlik must go!! I like the guy, and I think he would be good with less minutes, but his salary is too much.
5. Keep Halak, he's proven that he is the starter in Montreal.....trade Price because he's a 1st rounder with potential in exchange for a top 6 forward right now.....no prospects....we need a top 6 forward RIGHT NOW for Price. VanRiemsdyk?? Arthukin??

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:42 PM
  #100
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,965
vCash: 500
To Montreal: Backes + Berglund + picks

To St-Louis: Price, Andrei and Sergei K + picks

Taylor Pyatt is a UFA this summer and can prolly sign him for under 1.5M

To Montreal: Wayne Simmonds + picks

To L.A: Hamrlik, Plekanec signing rights, + picks

As for Emelin he supposedly signed with us or will do this summer. If any1 saw the Russia/Tcheque game yesterday, he did a legal awesome hip check to Jagr. This guy is a beast.



Gionta - Gomez - Backes
Cammy - Berglund - Simmonds
TaylorPyatt - Moore - TomPyatt
Moen - Lapierre - Pacioretty

Markov - Emelin/Obyrn
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Georges

Obyrn/Carle

Halak/Veteran



edit: am I dreaming too much ?


Last edited by MooseOllini: 05-24-2010 at 03:49 PM.
MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.