Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Wild picks (Mod Note Post #51)

Old
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
North Metro Peewees

vCash: 500
My Wild picks (Mod Note Post #51)

I thought about doing a mock draft and then realized it's kind of foolish since every team is going to see players differently. So I decided to go through and pick who I would like to see the Wild choose with their picks in the top 100.

These are players who I believe may be available when the Wild choose and I feel they could be difference makers.

1st round (9th overall) Nino Niedereitter-LW Power forward who could possibly be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL.
2nd round (39th overall) Kirill Kabanov-LW Skilled forward with tons of talent and some questions; if he pans out he could be a top line forward.
2nd round (56th overall Was) Jason Zucker-LW Impressive young talent with high offensive upside who will need at least two seasons at DU before turning pro.
3rd round (69th overall) Mark Alt Great athlete who will be a Gopher for at least 3 seasons.
4th round (99th overall) Mark Stone-RW Upside talent offensively; should play in the NHL at least as a 3rd line winger.

Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 05-25-2010 at 09:03 AM.
North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Seen a decent amount of Nino, Kabanov, and Alt and I'd be thrilled with all of those picks. Though, I don't think either will fall to those selections. But drafts are always so difficult to peg so who knows.

Not as familiar with Zucker and Stone.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
I thought about doing a mock draft and then realized it's kind of foolish since every team is going to see players differently. So I decided to go through and pick who I would like to see the Wild choose with their picks in the top 100.

These are players who I believe may be available when the Wild choose and I feel they could be difference makers.

1st round (9th overall) Nino Niedereitter-LW Power forward who could possibly be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL.
2nd round (39th overall) Kirill Kabanov-LW Skilled forward with tons of talent and some questions; if he pans out he could be a top line forward.
2nd round (56th overall Was) Jason Zucker-LW Impressive young talent with high offensive upside who will need at least two seasons before turning pro.
3rd round (69th overall) Mark Alt Great athlete who will be a Gopher for at least 3 seasons.
4th round (99th overall) Mark Stone-RW Upside talent offensively; should play in the NHL at least as a 3rd line winger.
Very true.

I agree with This Providence that this would be a great best-case scenario as I don't see any of the first three picks being available at the Minnesota draft number, but they would be great picks and stranger things have happened.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
North Metro Peewees

I tried to stay within a certain number of picks from where THN had them ranked. THN has Niederreiter ranked #8; Kabanov #38, Zucker #54, Alt #64 and Stone # 88.

The one I worry about is Niederreiter who I think is moving up many draft boards although one GM told THN they have Jeff Skinner ranked in the top 10 which could help us get one of the better scoring prospects at #9.

At #9 I would honestly be happy with Niederreiter, Connolly or Skinner in that order.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Jbcraig1883

Even though I ranked Connolly over Nino and Skinner in our own draft ranking, I have changed my mind to wanting Nino/Skinner equally over Connolly. We really need an injection of talent and likeliness of reaching their potential and with Connolly coming back from injury and having a poor U18, I just don't know if taking him at 9 is worth it. Plus, Skinner is arguably one of the top 3 goalscorers in the draft...never stops working...scores from all areas...and everyone needs goalscorers, none moreso than the Wild.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

At this point, I feel that Minnesota is going to get one of the leftovers between Connolly, Nino, Ryan Johansen, Gormley and Skinner provided they don't trade up or down. But with that said, it's getting to be harder and harder to see Nino drop to #9.

Kabanov on the other hand is a larger wild card due to the character issues and Russian factor. I could see him going anywhere from 15-55. Same goes with Alt due to his raw, unpolished play and late commitment to hockey. That could easily drop him down a few rounds. I'm all for drafting a couple of wild cards (and based upon last year's draft so is Chuck Fletcher), but it's usually the case when they drop rather than hold the position (i.e. Haula in the 7th).

Old
05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
saywut

Can't see us drafting a Russian or going 5 picks straight at forward. We got ZERO d-men from last years draft, even though our d prospects are much better than forwards we still need to draft some to keep the pipeline flowing.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Can't see us drafting a Russian or going 5 picks straight at forward. We got ZERO d-men from last years draft, even though our d prospects are much better than forwards we still need to draft some to keep the pipeline flowing.
Alt is a defenseman.

Old
05-24-2010, 04:35 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Alt is a defenseman.
Right, got him confused with someone else.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Kabanov...I thought someone posted an article a few months back where one of the Wild scouts ripped him, saying something like "is he a guy you want to go to war with?"

I do like the other picks (I think Alt won't be around in the 3rd though) and would be pretty damn happy with this haul.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
State of Hockey

I'd be elated with that draft.

Probably means it won't happen.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Still can't see Nino dropping to #9, would like to see Skinner at that pick, wouldn't be unhappy with Granlund, Bjugstad is a reach.

Would really like to see if the Wild can move up with their 2nd rounders (and/or maybe a player) and grab either Bjugstad if he falls or Emerson Etem.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
mnwildgophers

If we are really high on a guy and he's sitting there at #25, then it might be worth it. However, we may be better served to stay where we are and take the BPA.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
North Metro Peewees

Here is more to consider as it appears RLR has both Skinner and Granlund rated very high.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...nd-third_N.htm

Old
05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

In fairness to RLR, they usually are a little more off-the-board in their picks for the sake of being off-the-board. That's not to say they are wrong or anything, but just keep that in mind.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:03 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
In fairness to RLR, they usually are a little more off-the-board in their picks for the sake of being off-the-board. That's not to say they are wrong or anything, but just keep that in mind.
Although I will say it appears others hold the same view of Skinner especially considering he had 70 goals in 90 OHL games this year. It also tells me if Grandlund was that impressive he will probably be on someone's top 10 list perhaps even CF?

Old
05-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Lifer

That would be about as ideal as we could hope for. I'm in a mock draft right now and traded up with the guy who has Columbus to get El Nino at #4. I really like him. The trade was #9 overall, Nick Schultz, and James Sheppard for the #4 overall, Jan Hejda, and Mathieu Garon. My intentions are to trade Backstrom for more picks and prospects or a 2nd line center and a pick or 2 if I can.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Lifer

Haha, and obviously this is all hypothetical.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:13 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
That would be about as ideal as we could hope for. I'm in a mock draft right now and traded up with the guy who has Columbus to get El Nino at #4. I really like him. The trade was #9 overall, Nick Schultz, and James Sheppard for the #4 overall, Jan Hejda, and Mathieu Garon. My intentions are to trade Backstrom for more picks and prospects or a 2nd line center and a pick or 2 if I can.
I like Backs but if you can move him I would for no other reason than to free cap space, more important if CF can move him even better. I really like El Nino and think he can flat out be in the same class as Hall in 5 years.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
I like Backs but if you can move him I would for no other reason than to free cap space, more important if CF can move him even better. I really like El Nino and think he can flat out be in the same class as Hall in 5 years.
That's EXACTLY why I want to move him. His 6mil in space is worth more to us as different players than what he brings to this team. I've said this a million times but I think he helps us more in a trade. Harding will keep us competitive until the organization comes back around in 3 years and we can go out and get an elite goalie then. Or, maybe Hackett will be like a Price, Quick, Howard, Mason, etc. by then.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:02 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
That's EXACTLY why I want to move him. His 6mil in space is worth more to us as different players than what he brings to this team. I've said this a million times but I think he helps us more in a trade. Harding will keep us competitive until the organization comes back around in 3 years and we can go out and get an elite goalie then. Or, maybe Hackett will be like a Price, Quick, Howard, Mason, etc. by then.
I've been saying this as well.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Except Backstrom has a NTC and there is no market for goalies at all. I'll put money down that both Backstrom and Harding are in Wild sweaters next fall.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Except Backstrom has a NTC and there is no market for goalies at all. I'll put money down that both Backstrom and Harding are in Wild sweaters next fall.
I really believe they will work out a deal with the Blues for Harding although it will be a larger deal including several other players. Just my guess on this one but St Lou seems to be a good trading partner for us.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
mnwildgophers

I can see Harding being gone this offseason, but maybe not until the deadline? We won't be trading Backstrom.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:35 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
I don't want Russian. I like my team with no egos on it

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote