HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official I miss the Expos thread; 2010 MLB Season

Old
05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
It feels like just yesterday that I was on the metro heading to Pie IX, getting off and seeing the small crowd walking to the stadium. Going up to the ticket booth and asking for tickets and actually choosing something I wanted... then just going into the stadium, buying a slice of pizza and sitting in any seat I wanted. Except for the VIPs, of course. Even if the place is empty, there will be a ton of security making sure you don't sit in that section without a ticket.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:35 AM
MoonlightGraham

vCash: 500
Every year I miss the Expos more and more. It seems like I just can't get over it. For the second summer in a row now I work close to where Parc Labatt would have been built and I can't help but think how nice it would have been to just walk there after work in time to watch the Expos batting practice, then the other team's batting practice, grab a bite and watch the game. I love the Canadiens and I'm a huge fan, but baseball is my favorite sport. I cheer for the Red Sox now but it's not quite like having your team in your city.

By the way, I'm reading "Il était une fois les Expos" by Marc Robitaille and Jacques Doucet. The first book covers 1969 to 1984, and they'll make a second one for 1984-2004. Being born in 1987 I only knew names of the main Expos stars from those times, but this book really goes into details and you learn so much about the history of the team. It's a fantastic read for an Expos fan, I'm 3/4 of the way through and I'm pacing myself because I don't want it to end...

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:32 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Every year I miss the Expos more and more. It seems like I just can't get over it. For the second summer in a row now I work close to where Parc Labatt would have been built and I can't help but think how nice it would have been to just walk there after work in time to watch the Expos batting practice, then the other team's batting practice, grab a bite and watch the game. I love the Canadiens and I'm a huge fan, but baseball is my favorite sport. I cheer for the Red Sox now but it's not quite like having your team in your city.

By the way, I'm reading "Il était une fois les Expos" by Marc Robitaille and Jacques Doucet. The first book covers 1969 to 1984, and they'll make a second one for 1984-2004. Being born in 1987 I only knew names of the main Expos stars from those times, but this book really goes into details and you learn so much about the history of the team. It's a fantastic read for an Expos fan, I'm 3/4 of the way through and I'm pacing myself because I don't want it to end...
I still go to baseball games because i enjoy it a lot. Just not the same though without those sudden surprise wins, or gut wrenching 1 run 9th inning games

The Expos sure had their share of characters

Another good read is the Year the Expos Almost Won the Pennant by Brodie Snyder. it's only a couple of hundred pages long. If you really want to torture yourself you can relive yet another of those doomed Expos pennant drives with the end result being Blue Monday in this book

The Expos Inside Out by dan Turner is another good book covering the Spos from 69 to 82

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 05-24-2010 at 12:45 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It feels like just yesterday that I was on the metro heading to Pie IX, getting off and seeing the small crowd walking to the stadium. Going up to the ticket booth and asking for tickets and actually choosing something I wanted... then just going into the stadium, buying a slice of pizza and sitting in any seat I wanted. Except for the VIPs, of course. Even if the place is empty, there will be a ton of security making sure you don't sit in that section without a ticket.
ever go up and sit in the yellow "Willie Stargell home run seat" way up in the right field upper deck? Man that was a poke. Strawberry hitting the service ring on opening day might be the only "longer" home run

Old
05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
D3nZ

I wore my vintage Expos hat all day today and yesterday. Just imagine how nice it would be to be today at Labatt Stadium, downtown Montréal for a game.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
habdynasty

I grew up cheering for the Expos, since they left I have stop watching mlb.

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

I want baseball in MTL

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
knuck
On and off fan

I just realized that, had they built the Labatt Stadium, l'ÉTS would still only have one building, which would suck for us (students)

It would have been awesome to sit in this stadium at night and see the skyline in the background though

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

NATS SUCK!

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:33 PM
windycity

I stopped following baseball after the Expos moved - the strike in 94 killed us

have lots of fond memories, esp the 81 playoff run . . . was there when Rick Monday hit the game winner off Steve Rogers . . that wasn't so fond a memory

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I stopped following baseball after the Expos moved - the strike in 94 killed us

have lots of fond memories, esp the 81 playoff run . . . was there when Rick Monday hit the game winner off Steve Rogers . . that wasn't so fond a memory
I wish fanning stuck a reliever in there instead of Rogers. Sinkerball pitches that do not sink go a long way