HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Phoenix Signs Oliver Ekman-Larsson To Entry-Level Contract

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2010, 02:42 PM
PHX FireBirds18

vCash: 500
It's on the Coyotes website now.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm suprised at the lack of patience for prospect development, around here. I can't really imagine us learning this lesson any more clearly, or any more recently than we just did.
More importantly Don Maloney learned that lesson. All the Gretzky detractors love to blame him for the decision to force-feed youngsters in the NHL, but Maloney (especially since he was hired because he had no FOG connection) was equally responsible, if not more for those decisions.

Maloney has publicly stated they made a mistake.

As for where OEL plays, I think the lesson we've all learned very clearly is that Maloney and Tippett will make the right decision. If they decide OEL is ready for the NHL, then I'm 100% on board with that decision.

I think the real discussion centers around whether we think OEL should play in the AHL or SEL if Maloney/Tippett decide he's not ready for the NHL....but it appears that decision has been made. I wonder who had the final say on that decision.

As for the Turris comparison, it's a little different given that OEL just played in the IIHF World Championship tournament against a lot of NHL all-star caliber players, and was pronounced by many to be the best d-man for Sweden. Even if he was only the 3rd best d-man, that counts for a lot more than what Turris did in 3 late-season, somewhat meaningless NHL games.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:32 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
More importantly Don Maloney learned that lesson. All the Gretzky detractors love to blame him for the decision to force-feed youngsters in the NHL, but Maloney (especially since he was hired because he had no FOG connection) was equally responsible, if not more for those decisions.

Maloney has publicly stated they made a mistake.

As for where OEL plays, I think the lesson we've all learned very clearly is that Maloney and Tippett will make the right decision. If they decide OEL is ready for the NHL, then I'm 100% on board with that decision.

I think the real discussion centers around whether we think OEL should play in the AHL or SEL if Maloney/Tippett decide he's not ready for the NHL....but it appears that decision has been made. I wonder who had the final say on that decision.

As for the Turris comparison, it's a little different given that OEL just played in the IIHF World Championship tournament against a lot of NHL all-star caliber players, and was pronounced by many to be the best d-man for Sweden. Even if he was only the 3rd best d-man, that counts for a lot more than what Turris did in 3 late-season, somewhat meaningless NHL games.
Great post. I'm totally with you, in Don we trust! I got to catch a few games and OEL impressed the hell out of me. His mobility and decision making is top notch. I want to say he looks NHL ready now, but I'm waiting to reserve judgment until I see him in training camp. I'm hoping he packs on a few more pounds before the start.

Old
05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Ekman-Larsson is not Gistedt. He's also not a goalie.
Some may say neither are goalies.
I'm glad you clarified that OEL is not goalie. Here I thought we drafted the first speedy offensive goalie in history.

My point was that having a player do well in the all mighty SEL is by no way a true indicator as to if the player will do just as well or better in the NHL. As seen with players like Gistedt who got a great rating playing in the SEL then fell off the world playing in North American hockey.

Old
05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

If people want an example of prospect development going wrong look no further than Joe Thornton. His playoff rep comes directly from Boston mishandling his development by giving him too much responsibility WAY too soon.

Old
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
My point was that having a player do well in the all mighty SEL is by no way a true indicator as to if the player will do just as well or better in the NHL. As seen with players like Gistedt who got a great rating playing in the SEL then fell off the world playing in North American hockey.
The SEL is a good league and a higher league than OEL has played in. It would likely do OEL good to play in a higher league before the NHL, but no one knows for sure and it will be hard to tell even for Coyotes management until he attends camp. If you don't think the SEL is a good hockey league, you will just have to agree to disagree with just about everyone else.

Old
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
The SEL is a good league and a higher league than OEL has played in. It would likely do OEL good to play in a higher league before the NHL, but no one knows for sure and it will be hard to tell even for Coyotes management until he attends camp. If you don't think the SEL is a good hockey league, you will just have to agree to disagree with just about everyone else.
There are also tons of great AHL players that never translated to the NHL. It can happen from any league.

Old
05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
There are also tons of great AHL players that never translated to the NHL. It can happen from any league.
top end SEL players are always at least useful. I'm not worried in the slightest about OEL and all this conjecture seems rather meaningless at this point. All the kid has done is shoot to the top of his draft class in the eyes of some, and totally overcome any challenge thrown at him.

I'm more worried about Boedker and Turris. That's where our concerns should be.

Old
05-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
If people want an example of prospect development going wrong look no further than Joe Thornton. His playoff rep comes directly from Boston mishandling his development by giving him too much responsibility WAY too soon.
I don't disagree with this at all, but I don't think we're debating whether it's too much responsibility for OEL at the NHL level. The question is whether he's physically ready...I think more than 50% already think he is mentally ready.

I think Turris is the better example, and that said, I'd argue it's easier for an undersized d-man to break into the NHL, than it is for a forward...especially when comparing a skilled d-man to a skilled forward.

A forward needs to be physically able to hold onto the puck, whereas a dman will typically be trying to get rid of the puck when facing physical pressure. It's not nearly as uncommon to see a d-man move the puck back towards his own zone as compared to a forward who has to get the puck deep in the offensive zone.

Old
05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

Fellas...OEL just played at the worlds and by all accounts from the fans that were there or watched on TV, he was the best swedish defensemen, which included Hedman, Karlsson, Ericsson, etc...

The difference with Turris is that he clearly can't play his "style" of game at the "Pro" level because he's not physically mature yet...OEL plays a completely different game...its the difference between Kane and Turris. Kane's style fits his physical style, OEL's style fits his physical style.

The smaller players need to be quick, agile, elusive...i.e. Kane, Gagne, etc...

Plus by all accounts the kids got "It"...whatever "It" is...

Old
05-24-2010, 11:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

World's took place on European ice. Just sayin'...

Old
05-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
World's took place on European ice. Just sayin'...
and I'm "Just listenin'" because it's a very good point.

Old
05-25-2010, 12:43 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
I think you're confusing the Boston media criticisms of Jumbo Joe with actual player development. If Boston did anything wrong with Thornton's development it was playing him as an 18 year old 1st overall draft pick with a brutal season and that's about it.

At 19 he put up 40 regular season points and 9 in 11 playoff games trailing only Bourque and Allison.

At 20 he led the team with 60 points while they missed the playoffs.

At 21 he had 71 points in 72 games leading into his career PPG status. Again the team missed the playoffs.

At 22 he put up 68 points in 66 games, again the team missed the playoffs.

At 23 he had 101 points in 77 games finishing 3rd in the NHL, he tied for the team lead in playoff points with 3 in 5 games as the B's flopped as a team.

At 24 he had 73 points in 77 games and a completely brutal playoffs with 0 points in 7 games and was lambasted by the Boston media.

At the time the B's traded the next season at 25 he had 33 points in 23 games--and went on to pot another 92 points with SJ to lead the league and win the Hart Trophy.

I would absolutely love the Coyotes mishandle a player's development like that. Without the trading away a PPG Hart Trophy winner bit at the end of course.

Old
05-25-2010, 02:39 AM
Komarov47

The fact is that Ekman-Larsson play in... Allsvenskan not in Elitseiren... So i guess he will play some time in AHL before playing for the Yotes. The good point is that he was good enough to play with team Sweden in Germany. He's a good prospect but i think we'll see Boedker have a spot before him.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:02 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
The fact is that Ekman-Larsson play in... Allsvenskan not in Elitseiren... So i guess he will play some time in AHL before playing for the Yotes. The good point is that he was good enough to play with team Sweden in Germany. He's a good prospect but i think we'll see Boedker have a spot before him.
Many Swedish fans consider OEL to be a better player than Hedman at this point, so I don't think playing in Sweden's second tier league is a legitimate knock on OEL.

And it sounds like it's either the SEL or NHL for OEL (that's a lot of acronyms). I doubt he'll ever play in the AHL.

Old
05-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Many Swedish fans consider OEL to be a better player than Hedman at this point, so I don't think playing in Sweden's second tier league is a legitimate knock on OEL.

And it sounds like it's either the SEL or NHL for OEL (that's a lot of acronyms). I doubt he'll ever play in the AHL.
Yes you're right but it's like saying "this guy will be a blast in nhl because he's a killer in AHL", the fact is that it would be better for OEL to play one full season in Eliteserein. But i may wrong

Old
05-25-2010, 09:37 AM
PhoPhan

Conversation continued here now that it's confirmed:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=779993

Closed Thread