HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

When your teammates attack...YOU

Old
05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Razzmatazz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
My guess? You're not as strong on your skates as you think you are, and you're misinterpreting accidental catchups with other player's feet as slewfoots when they're really innocent contact. Real slewfoots are quite rare in every level of hockey I've played in or watched.

Sorry, but I'm betting you're squarely in the wrong on this one. Skates get mixed up by accident all the time and people fall. Get up and move on with your life, and if falling on the ice kills you, get better pants.
If it was simply an accident, it would have been enough to say, "I'm sorry." If he has to give an excuse, it is a giveaway that the move was deliberate.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
If it was simply an accident, it would have been enough to say, "I'm sorry." If he has to give an excuse, it is a giveaway that the move was deliberate.

So being sorry and caring enough about a friend to explain what happened is a sure tell of a deliberate move? That's the largest crock of shiat I've seen recently, and I post in Internet political discussions.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Oh, and maybe you should find a new captain or perhaps a new team.

You saw his character first hand and it was very telling.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
noobman

Tap him on the shin guards.

I get mad when people tap my helmet... primarily because my glasses get shifted out of position when you do that. What looks like a light tap also makes a resounding thud when your head is in the helmet.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Drop your gloves, drop your stick, throw off your helmet and do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFplN...eature=related

AZcoyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:31 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Uhhh no. I can't count how many times over the years I accidently tripped someone up and it resulted in them falling in a dangerous manor. I always apologize after. Doesn't mean I did it purposely

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:36 PM
IniNew

In an Adult League (One level up from beginners) I watched a coach choke his own player until the rest of the team jumped in. Apparently the guy was drunk, and said some things about said Coach's wife.

Was entertaining to watch as I did not care for either of the people.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Uhhh no. I can't count how many times over the years I accidently tripped someone up and it resulted in them falling in a dangerous manor. I always apologize after. Doesn't mean I did it purposely
That's what I'm saying, you apologized, instead of giving BS excuses.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:03 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
That's what I'm saying, you apologized, instead of giving BS excuses.
What if you're explaining what actually happened and apologizing? Not all explanations of an event are BS, and many perfectly sincere apologies feature them.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
A REAL man lets it go. An eye for an eye makes everyone blind. Now if it's something just horrible, yeah...Do something about it. But a slewfoot? Just let it go. You never know what someone's been through during the day. Discuss it later, but there's no need to escalate a situation. Also, never tap someone on their helmet for any reason...

And as for you, dude who pokes at goalies when they freeze the puck.... You do realize that's a really good way to hurt a goalie, right?
I'm thoroughly confused. A flagrant attempt to injure is something to just dismiss because the other guy might have had a bad day, but poking (not slashing, but poking) a goalie is much more serious?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:16 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
My team mates do this sometimes to me and they're always careful to get me on a leg pad or something just to break balls a lil bit. I'm sure he is careful too. Hell sometimes after a big save guy will come up and give you the "good job" tap on the pads.
yeah , that's no big deal. I have no problem with that. I'm thinking about the guys who constantly poke at the puck when you've got your trapper over the puck and the blocker in front. I used to deal with that all the time. guys would get the toe of the stick behind my blocker and it would jab at my knuckles.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:25 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'm thoroughly confused. A flagrant attempt to injure is something to just dismiss because the other guy might have had a bad day, but poking (not slashing, but poking) a goalie is much more serious?
It's the difference between escalating a situation and creating a situation.

When someone falls victim to a slewfoot or gets hit awkwardly, they should never get up with the though "I'm going to get even." Just let it go and score some points, or prevent them from scoring. If someone wants to play dirty, let them play dirty. Everything comes back around in the end.

When someone pokes at a goalie freezing the puck, it creates a situation where the goalie can get injured quite easily. Notice I didn't say the goalie should go after the guy.

That's the difference.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Man it was an interesting session tonight.

We had a scrimmage. Half the guys from my former team vs. Half the guys on my new team(we're playing in two different locations).

Anyways...one of my take no prisoners team-mates bumped into a 16 year old girl tonight and hurt her(believe me she was damned good skating around all of us).

So that led to both teams stopping play, and, playing in their own zones.

At any rate, we were just kinda having fun...my team Captain(I'm the asst) decided to slew foot me. He sort of yelled out it was an accident, but I was like yeah right.

I know there is an inherent risk playing hockey, but I seriously cannot afford to get hurt. So, I wasn't happy.

He ended up skating to the bench, and I tapped him with my stick a few times on his head...and he just went crazy on me. F'in cussing me out, tapping me with his stick and such.

Now, I can put up with a lot of crap, and I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt, because he's kind of my friend, but that really pissed me off. I wasn't expecting a teammate of mine to go off on me like that even if it was just a scrimmage, and we were having fun.

I've seen him play before, and do the same thing, so I don't see his slew foot as any accident at all. Every player knows where his stick and body are going 90% of the time at least.

I was less pleased with his show me up reaction. I kept my cool the entire time though.

Later on, I took a re-directed puck off my ear, and that hurt like hell even with my ear guards. So I decided things needed to stop for the night.

I guess, tit for tat. Was his reaction a bit overboard, or do you think I was well within my right to mess with him back?

He did apologize later on, and I realize this is hockey things will happen out on the ice...but our friendship might not ever be the same ya know? This is the type of thing you don't forget very easily.
If someone is dirty with you, you should just tell your boy you don't appreciate it, then let it go. If it keeps happening, then I say you should teach him a lesson.

My buddies and I all played competitive hockey ranging from traveling teams, tourneys, juniors, college, etc.

So when we got together for pickup games, we played clean, up tempo hockey, because none of us could afford at the time to get hurt.

This one time my one buddy brought this guy, who was a roller player and was learning to play ice. He was a decent player, but he was a bodybuilder with a bad case of roid rage.

Every time he came he would try to throw hip checks and stick out his knee... since all of us where really good skaters, we could usually get out of the way. We kept warning the guy that it was just a pick up game and we played for fun...

We warned this guy every game, for like a 6 month period, and he kept saying it was hockey and we were *******... so we told him if we were *******, then he shouldn't waste his time coming. But of course he kept showing up.

One day, I turned him inside out and he stuck out his knee and caught me really good... I had enough at that point and told him he better keep his head up for the rest of the game...

My one buddy knew I was pissed, but I cooled off and figured I would let it go, but my boy wasn't as kind. As the dirtball was cutting across the crease a little later, my boy caught him clean and jacked him up... everyone was laughing and told him payback was a *****... he broke his arm on the hit and never showed up again after that.

I felt bad watching him writhe in pain on the ice, but in the end he brought it on himself.

Sometimes, that is the only way people learn. They are thick. Being told dozens of times to keep it clean never sunk into his pea brain... you literally have to knock some sense into them.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 05-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote