HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie equipment question

Old
05-22-2010, 09:39 PM
GoalieEd

vCash: 500
Goalie equipment question

Hi. I played goal after about a 10 year absence. I'm outta shape and it kicked my butt.

My question though it that I seem to have a "gap" in protection that developed between my chest protector and my goalie pants. I took a puck at (thankfully) low speed a few inches left and slightly below my belly button, which seemed to not have any padding. I've got a big bruise/welt on my excess beer belly/fat roll.

I'm thinking what's happened is that I somehow need to be attaching my chest pad to my goalie pants to prevent the equipment from slipping around as I play and exposing that area, but I'm not quite sure how the equipment is supposed to fasten to each other. The goalie pants is CCM and have a "tackla" belt which I tried slipping through the chest proector's tab a few inches from the bottom, but it keeps falling apart with the vigorous flopping I'm doing. Do I need to go to suspenders for the goalie pants, or is there some other attachment point, or?

Can anyone help me figure out how to make sure this area is protected, or am I off base on the root cause of this? I just know I don't want to lose confidence that my equipment will protect me.

GoalieEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Few options..

1.Buy a large chest protector that hangs lower..

2. Take the string of your pants (the part that laces up) and tie that through your tab on your chest protector.

3. Get suspenders for your pants, but wear them OVER your chest protector.

4. Do 2 and 3 together.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I had the same problem. I didn't like tying my chest protector and pants together. I felt like they would bind up and I didn't feel as free to move around. I never tried suspenders but they would probably work well.

My solution was just to get a skate lace and run it through the nylon straps that the suspender's attachment buttons are on, and tighten the hell out of that skate lace around my waist. This kept the bottom of my pants from binding up in my pads when going up and down, and it pulled the pant's waist padding right up under the bottom of my chest protector.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
densetsu

For me, the two options would be:

1) Feed your belt through the loop(s) on the front of the C/A to hold it down. Or,

2) Find an old C/A or other appropriate piece of protective gear. Cut a section of it off, and attach it to the bottom of your current C/A so it covers your exposed area. If you don't have the sewing skills to do that, a sports repair shop can probably do it for you for $20 or so.

You could also try wearing your pant suspenders over top your C/A. In my experiences it wouldn't do much for protecting the lower belly, but might work for others.

Side question: I assume this belly shot happened when you were down in butterfly or half-butterfly. Does your C/A stay on your shoulders when you're in butterfly, or does it ride up? If it rides up above your shoulders, then the solution may be as simple as adjusting the straps on your C/A to fit you better.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
For me, the two options would be:

1) Feed your belt through the loop(s) on the front of the C/A to hold it down.

That's what the loop at the bottom of the armor is for and it works great. I'd try that first and see if that solves your problem. Just remember, no matter what you do, sooner or later a puck is gonna find and unprotected spot to bite you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:24 PM
GoalieEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
That's what the loop at the bottom of the armor is for and it works great. I'd try that first and see if that solves your problem. Just remember, no matter what you do, sooner or later a puck is gonna find and unprotected spot to bite you.
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm embarassed to say that I wasn't doing a butterfly or the like, but just standing while someone tried to warm me up. I think I'm screwing up securing the belt properly and since I haven't used suspenders, the pants slipped down and made the gap.

I'm going to try using suspenders to keep the pants up, and also secure the belt. Dumb question, but what's the proper way to buckle the Takla belt to ensure it won't unbuckle during play?

GoalieEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Probably get a new one. Tying it with pants is very annoying.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:25 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Im not a goalie, but the goalies ive played with all have chest protectors that go down to their pants, maybe buy a new one, cause your Beer belly (Hehe) makes your protector smaller

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote