HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Hiishawk's 40 1st round candidates (for what it's worth)

Old
05-24-2010, 04:13 PM
nanzenkills

vCash: 500
Great list, Hiishawk! Always educational to hear your perspective on prospects. Missed your annual list last year, but I'm real glad that it is back!

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Dooman

Hiishawk, just thought you might be interested to know that Lowetide did a piece on *you*, lol

http://lowetide.blogspot.com

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I hope that guarantees a list in 2011.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Hiishawk

Thanks to everyone for supportive comments. This year I'm not scouting due to other commitments but while that means I've seen fewer games than usual, I can comment here with less discretion than in the past- where I had to be vague or silent on some players and points... for obvious reasons.

Jared Knight- Frustrating. One game he looks like a world-beater, hustling, creating loose pucks and finishing his chances, and the next game he's invisible. I think what scouts would like to see from Knight is one standout NHL quality to his game. He does everything reasonably well but you wonder if he's missing that party piece. I'd say mid-late second round.

Watson- I think when he realizes how many chances he can create based on skating, body work, and so on the scoring touch will come but it will probably never be his calling card. But since he does everything else so well you get the impression that he even surprises himself when he creates opportunities and when he starts feeling that he should be the guy who scores, and not someone else, he can add that dimension to his game.

Merrill- What is intriguing about Merrill is that he always seemed to raise his game against better opponents and in bigger games. He looked meh against mediocre international and US competition when I saw him but seemed to step it up when it mattered most. when he was challenged. Experience has shown me that those type of raise-your-game players tend to make better pros.

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Would love to hear your opinion on Stephen Silas, Greg McKegg, and Mark Visentin, three guys I appear to be higher on than most.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiishawk View Post
Thanks to everyone for supportive comments. This year I'm not scouting due to other commitments but while that means I've seen fewer games than usual, I can comment here with less discretion than in the past- where I had to be vague or silent on some players and points... for obvious reasons.

Jared Knight- Frustrating. One game he looks like a world-beater, hustling, creating loose pucks and finishing his chances, and the next game he's invisible. I think what scouts would like to see from Knight is one standout NHL quality to his game. He does everything reasonably well but you wonder if he's missing that party piece. I'd say mid-late second round.

Watson- I think when he realizes how many chances he can create based on skating, body work, and so on the scoring touch will come but it will probably never be his calling card. But since he does everything else so well you get the impression that he even surprises himself when he creates opportunities and when he starts feeling that he should be the guy who scores, and not someone else, he can add that dimension to his game.

Merrill- What is intriguing about Merrill is that he always seemed to raise his game against better opponents and in bigger games. He looked meh against mediocre international and US competition when I saw him but seemed to step it up when it mattered most. when he was challenged. Experience has shown me that those type of raise-your-game players tend to make better pros.
Thanks for your analysis, Hiishawk. You are a scholar and a gentleman. If you're ever in Halifax, I'd be happy to buy you a pint, or two, of Halifax's finest.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Hiishawk

Scribe- What's on tap in Halifax? Hope to be there later this year.

Brock- If scouts scouted scouts you'd be a first-round pick. Here's my quick rundown-
Silas: Everyone, and I mean everyone, seems to agree on this guy. He's as steady and reliable as they come but what is the upside? Probably 5th DF, maybe 4th, so we're talking late 2nd round. He could be the type that teams value more late in his career at playoff time- that sort of thing.

McKegg: He doesn't look pretty (poor stride) but he's smart enough to get it done- and he got better as the year went on without much support. What really raised his value though was his ability to be a threat at Minsk where some thought his skating would be a big issue. He actually has decent full-rink speed and his lack of quickness is balanced by the fact that he seems to think, and position himself, faster than just about everybody else. He's also very strong on the puck. Mid-late 2nd?

Visentin: I admit I only saw him twice and he was mediocre on both occasions. He seemed to get rattled easily and loose position, over compensate, challenged too boldly and got burned. But, as I said, that was two games!
The question as to who will be third goalie taken in this draft is an interesting one. Maybe a Quebec guy like Corbeil, Domingue or Clermond. Maybe Zane Gothberg (MinnHS) or Sam Brittain (AJHL). Maybe Visentin or Grubbauer. One (or maybe two) will go before spot #60.

Old
05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 2000
The more I hear about McKegg the more he sounds like Ryan O'Reilly.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
I'm not from Halifax but Alexander Keiths seemed to be the beer of choice. Do the brewery tour, well worth it.

I'll echo everyone statements and say thanks Hiishawk. As someone who follows junior hockey religously it's great to have more people covering the sport and adding insightful input.

Last edited by Kevin Malone: 05-24-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:

Connolly- Even if in guaranteed full health I might hesitate with using a top 5 pick. I don't think there's been enough viewing of his development in the past year to make that leap. He was a top 5 as a 16 year old to be sure but so was MacFarland, and others in the past, who didn't develop as well during- or after- their draft years. That little question mark would make me hesitate on Connolly.
Thanks for the feedback.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
bluechipbonzo

Yes, thank you for sharing all of this with the HF community. My question is, when watching the Subway Super Series, and the WJHC, did Petrov show enough to cement his reputation as being a higher-end prospect than Filatov? What are your thoughts on his chances of making the Islanders out of camp this coming season? Thanks in advance.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:53 PM
OlWpgJet

Great list and a great read I would have to agree. Also, on Jordan Weal, I seen Regina ( in Brandon) play about 3 times this season and was impressed with him and I don't like the Regina Pats . Great set of wheels and finished 2nd in league scoring I think.He is on the small side but I wouldn't discount him too far past the first round.

OlWpgJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

No Brad Ross in the top 40? And I'd like to know more about the two Swedes...what's their pro potential?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Czechexpert

Quote:
The question as to who will be third goalie taken in this draft is an interesting one. Maybe a Quebec guy like Corbeil, Domingue or Clermond. Maybe Zane Gothberg (MinnHS) or Sam Brittain (AJHL). Maybe Visentin or Grubbauer. One (or maybe two) will go before spot #60.
I still think that Petr Mrazek could be great sleeper pick and could surprise some people down the road. Not great technically but I have always liked his quickness, reflexes and mainly anticipation and reading the play.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Well, as Curtis Belfour mentioned, Alexander Keith's is a big part of this town's history, but I prefer the craft breweries -- Garrison and Propeller -- or there's a great brew pub that offers a variety of barley sandwiches.

Link

Old
05-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:

Brock- If scouts scouted scouts you'd be a first-round pick. Here's my quick rundown-
Silas: Everyone, and I mean everyone, seems to agree on this guy. He's as steady and reliable as they come but what is the upside? Probably 5th DF, maybe 4th, so we're talking late 2nd round. He could be the type that teams value more late in his career at playoff time- that sort of thing.

McKegg: He doesn't look pretty (poor stride) but he's smart enough to get it done- and he got better as the year went on without much support. What really raised his value though was his ability to be a threat at Minsk where some thought his skating would be a big issue. He actually has decent full-rink speed and his lack of quickness is balanced by the fact that he seems to think, and position himself, faster than just about everybody else. He's also very strong on the puck. Mid-late 2nd?

Visentin: I admit I only saw him twice and he was mediocre on both occasions. He seemed to get rattled easily and loose position, over compensate, challenged too boldly and got burned. But, as I said, that was two games!
Thanks Hiishawk. Really appreciate it.

If you have time, I've got one more question maybe you can help me with it (and perhaps others too since I've seen this question about 1000 times on this board). Do you have any idea why Darren Archibald went undrafted last year? Any insights at all, since it was very unexpected? And do you think he goes this year now?

Old
05-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Hiishawk

A few more responses:

I'm always eager to try some craft brews, Scribe!

I do not want to get into details about some players on this board because people (including scouts) have been completely wrong, even slanderous, about such things before- but there are off-ice issues of varying types (psych problems, family problems, alcohol, girlfriends) that can affect rankings. Locker room relations too.
Having said that, scouts have been wrong in the past on the off-ice issues (misinformation abounds) and the player turns out fine. But for one, the player with the problem cited in Gare Joyce's book has struggled. 'Nuff said.

I can't speak on Petrov with much authority. I last took notes on him a year and a half ago and don't know how he ranks in the Isles prospect heirarchy or signing schemes.

Both Swedes slated (by me) for the 1st round look to become consummate pros, at least judging by Rensfeldt's international play and Jarnkrok's (apparent) second half resurgence. Almost everyone in Sweden seems sold of the latter as the best available Swede this year. Watch for Olden (a Norwiegan) cited in another thread. Someone there said that Anderson has his eye on him for Detriot and speculates the #51 pick could go that way. That sounds pretty logical to me too.

Old
05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
LuckyLuke87

Hiishawk your article is really great work and I enjoyed it. Can you tell me something more about Jeff Skinner (potential, NHL comparison...)? He's my favourite player at this draft, I've been watching his play off performance and I'm very high on him...

Last edited by LuckyLuke87: 05-25-2010 at 09:35 AM.
LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
I do not want to get into details about some players on this board because people (including scouts) have been completely wrong, even slanderous, about such things before- but there are off-ice issues of varying types (psych problems, family problems, alcohol, girlfriends) that can affect rankings. Locker room relations too.
Having said that, scouts have been wrong in the past on the off-ice issues (misinformation abounds) and the player turns out fine. But for one, the player with the problem cited in Gare Joyce's book has struggled. 'Nuff said.
Thanks. I anticipated it being something of the sort.

Old
05-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Orwell1984

Hey Hiishhawk, slightly off topic question, how much weight does were a player plays, ie. the strength of the organization and their ability to develop talent figure into a scouts overall view of a players' standing against peers. Examples would be MacFarland and Hishon who have fallen but play for dreadful organizations (no direction or leadership from managment and suspect coaching, preparation etc.) Seems like generally the top prospects come from top teams. Coincidence? These players have looked quite comfortable in limited action against higher level competition but obviously struggled with their respective teams. (thanks)

Orwell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Hiishawk

Skinner- I'm not good at NHL comparisons but maybe Skinner = Mike Richards. Smart, hard worker, great hockey sense, perhaps not as chippy and with better finishing skills. Not a speedster but shifty on his feet, not too big. Come to think of it, maybe both Mike and Brad Richards. He could be a 40 goal 80 point NHL player.

Interesting question about locale and development. Yes, that is a factor, but it can work two ways. One is that the player is actually better than he showed, that there is untapped potential. The reverse though is that he has developed bad habits and has not learned and this might stunt his development.

Consider it similar to going to a bad high school. It can work both ways. If you are smart you might flourish under good teachers at university. But a bad high school might stunt your growth and turn you in the wrong direction, even if you are bright.

Old
05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
No Brad Ross in the top 40? And I'd like to know more about the two Swedes...what's their pro potential?
Your team would have to take at 27, the closer he is to 57 the better.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Quote:
A few more responses:

I'm always eager to try some craft brews, Scribe!
Give me a shout when you're coming to town. I think the Mooseheads might have another dandy Euro worth scouting next season.

Old
06-05-2010, 09:10 AM
WVP

I bookmarked this thread a few weeks ago and just remembered. Great stuff and good to see you around.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
PeterTheGreat

If Gudbranson falls to the Avs, I will be a VERY happy man. Doubt he falls past 7, let alone to 17.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote